[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AR BUILD THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: ar15.jpg (37 KB, 920x600) Image search: [Google]
ar15.jpg
37 KB, 920x600
In light of recent events and the way things look to be unfolding in the United States, federal gun legislation seems to be only a matter of time to at this point. Not to be caught with my pants down, I'm hedging my bets and am going to buy and/or assemble an AR. My price range is set at $500 - $1000 and I'm aware that building one from scratch part for part is slightly cheaper, but I do not posses gunsmithing tools, nor have I ever built a weapon before outside of bench dissassembly of my 870, .22 Henry lever action, and a nugget, none of which are near as complex as an AR-15.

My question is, what does /k/ value the most in their AR?

Also, on a hypothetical notion, say things go to utter shit more so than they already have and we fall into total chaos. What would be the best build for urban combat?
>>
File: IMAG0261[1].jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0261[1].jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>30282382
A good barrel is going to be one of, if not the most important part of your base rifle. Who you go with depends on your budget. For around $150 I'd recommend AR15performance.com, they make great barrels all around and are the top choice for 6.8 SPC builds. If you're looking to spend a bit more, Ballistics Advantage, LaRue, Noveske, plenty of other choices. Lowers are all about the same except for the rollmark and finish. My Rainier has a much better finish than my Andersons.

You can get all the tools you need for around $50-$75. Roll punch pins, roll punch starters (not absolutely needed, but help prevent fucking up your lower), a receiver vice block, torque wrench (rent one if you don't have one or want to buy), maybe a polymer/brass hammer for the roll pins, barrel nut wrench (may come with hand guards). Assembly is very easy if you have basic mechanical aptitude.

Getting a good optic is also important, especially if concerned about SHTF. Primary Arms makes good budget red dots, not sure about their other scopes. I personally like the Vortex Strike Eagle, 1-6x zoom and great reticle.

Pic related cost about $1500 total with tools and 6 magazines. I could have saved by using a cheaper upper and lower, but the quality was worth it to me.
>>
>>30282382
>What would be the best build for urban combat?

an AK pistol concealed under a coat that can be quickly opened.

as for AR builds? a 10" or 14.5" SBR build. if you don't want to pay for the tax stamp/hold an illegal weapon, then a 16" is the best you can get.

if shit were to pop off innacity, youd want easily hidden weapons -- if mil/leos see you with weapons once some hypothetical shit pops off, they're just as/more likely to kill you than any terrorist or criminal. small rifles fit the bill here, and at urban ranges, you dont need a full length rifle anyway.

>.22 Henry lever action, and a nugget, none of which are near as complex as an AR-15.

the lever gun is almost certainly more complex than the AR, and though the nugget isn't "complex" per se, neither is the AR...

the "high tech" aspects of the AR are only visible on the engineering side of things -- namely, it's high tolerances and "space aged" materials (read: aluminium and plastic). otherwise, it's still basically a tube with a rotating bolt system, and a trigger system so classical JMB would have likely made one as a kid.
>>
I built a lower today with needlenose pliers, a hammer, and a pocket knife. I fucked up the finish a bit but I don't care because I rattlecan all my guns as a "YOU WILL NEVER SELL THIS" insurance policy.
>>
>>30282578
how did you affix the buffer tube without a castle nut wrench?
>>
>>30282573
pistol with brace brah
folding stock adapter if you want
>>
>>30282382
reminder that we survived a bunch of children being murdered by a fucking white male in a political climate far more favorable to gun control

if we did it then, we can do it now

in no way is legislation inevitable
>>
>>30282590
I don't think he's worried about gun control. I think he's worried about ISIS turning up the domestic heat.
>>
>>30282590

This, banning the sale of the most popular rifle in the country just won't happen
>>
>>30282592
disregard, I cannot read.
>>
>>30282582
I'm a hardcore /ck/ fag but don't ever post there. Cooking is life. Gardening is life.
I used a rubber hand pickle opener to protect the finish and tightened it with channel locks.
It worked when I finished off my plant irrigation so I'm guessing it'll work for a castle nut.
>>
>>30282614
thanks, I've been trying to figure out how to do that for days....now I just need a lower.
>>
>>30282626
I mislead you by the original tool list. Include what I said plus channel locks and a think piece of rubber.

Good luck on that lower. I was lucky enough to buy one a couple weeks ago on a full retard sale with free shipping and my FFL charges $15 for CHL holders.
>>
>>30282598

Amazing how secure people feel in their rights. Your rights will only stay in tact if you defend them. Don't just assume "it won't happen" and call it a day...

It has happened, it can happen again, and it will happen if we allow it.
>>
File: image.jpg (236 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236 KB, 750x1334
Why?
>>
>>30282651
Because trips rage at everyone that doesn't see eye to eye with them?
>>
>>30282382
Buy 5 AR-15 80% lowers and one AR-10 80% lower.

Be set for life.
>>
>>30282680
Mostly just giddy and qb and their opinions are irrelevant anyway...
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 720x479
I just built my first ar. For some reason my barrel wobbles. I don't know why.
>>
>>30282695
That's not good. Don't shoot it.

What handguard you got on there?

How did you install it?
>>
It's funny cause the guy didn't even have an AR but let's jump on that muh scary lookin gun wagon. Fuck me.
>>
>>30282709
It was a great float handguard from stag arms I followed the brownells YouTube very closely, I feel
>>
>>30282715
In case you haven't heard, politicians make shit up and get away with it all the time.
Look at EU-wide blank gun registration so Paris shootings won't happen again.
>>
>>30282754
*free float hand guard.
>>
>>30282780
But the Paris shootings were done with illegally smuggled AK's, no?

I'm not sure how any law would have stopped that.
>>
Psa has a complete lower at 159, the same price as their blem.

What all would I need? I'm looking for minimal required assembly because I live in a small apt and have no tools
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.