[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Big game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: DSC_00281.jpg (459 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
DSC_00281.jpg
459 KB, 800x532
So /K/. I'm in the market for a new rifle in a bigger caliber. After some searching I found I like the CVA Hunter. Anyone familiar with it? And as far as calibers go, 7mm seems the most promising but it's not one I'm familiar with. Any input? But let's make this a big game hunting thread. Big rifles. Big bullets. And big animals. Stories, pics, and talk. Bring it all.
>>
>>30265460

Assuming you're talking about 7MM Rem Mag it's one of the best all-around cartridges that can take up to a lot of heavy North American game, but it is certainly not a "big game rifle."

Biggest thing is test what the gun likes for bullets and keep buying that particular brand for hunting. If you want to get super autistic, reload.

That being said make sure the barrel is on the longer side for that caliber, around 26" I think is what is recommended for the 7Mag.
>>
File: OliviaJensen2.webm (343 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
OliviaJensen2.webm
343 KB, 1280x720
What is considered big game?
>>
>>30265582 here

I see you meant 7mm-08. I hear a lot of good things about it, but I've never fired it personally.

Assuming you're talking about a big bore rifle that will kill most things within 100 yards, go .45-70 and get a single stage reloader to make some pellet gun loads.

If you're thinking about the .35 Whelen, talk to a few old timers at the range. They can give you a lot of advice on that particular cartridge.
>>
File: OliviaJensen3.webm (344 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
OliviaJensen3.webm
344 KB, 1280x720
>>30265598
>>
>>30265460
Marlin Guide Gun loaded with Garrett Cartridge Company Hammerheads will take any game that walks the earth.

If you want to do a "One Gun" "Big Seven", it's probably the best choice.
>>
>>30265598

What continent are you on? If it's North America, I suppose anything from Elk on up such as Bears, Moose, etc.
>>
>>30265582
Well, big game as far as north America goes. 26 you say? Cause the rifle I'm looking at is only 20. Would that be sufficient out to two hundred yards?
>>
>>30265612
I thought about 45-70, and I still want to get a lever in it at some point. But everything I've seen says it's velocity and stopping power drops significantly at range.
>>
>>30265741

Thought you mean 7mm Rem Mag, which needs around a 26" (or at least above a 24") barrel for you to get the most performance out of it. If it's in 7mm-08 a 20" should be fine out to 200 yards.

>>30265760

The trajectory is very rainbow-like and it does drop at range, but I wouldn't think the "stopping power" of a 300gr projectile would drop too dramatically. It's still very much a 100 yard gun, though it will kill almost everything within that range.
>>
>>30265814
Well, apparently I know next to nothing about 7my cause I didn't realize there was Rem Mag and 08. But it looks like I'm talking about 08. And yeah, I'd still like a 45-70 but right now I need a bit more range than I feel confident getting out of the govt.
>>
"calibre" is simply how fat the projectile is. what matters is the bullet construction and how fast it's going on impact. other things like sectional density (SD - basically how heavy the bullet is in relation to its calibre; 220gr .30 cal bullets have higher SD than 150gr .30 cal bullets) play a part depending on bullet construction as well. solid copper bullets (barnes tsx for example) tend to penetrate extremely well even with a low SD while more traditional designs (ex - any cheap soft point ammo) often need the extra SD.

a 7mm-08 with 20" barrel shooting 120gr barnes ammo will rip through just about any big game in the lower 48, out to around 300 yards and still get good bullet expansion.
>>
>>30265892
7mm-08 is an intermediate cartridge, slightly less powerful than .308 and 7.62x51.
It's perfect for deer but I wouldn't trust it on anything larger.
>>
>>30265460

Where was the buff taken?

Also, either go huge and heavy or mid-sized and fast.
>>
>>30267661

It will take elk.
>>
>>30267717
.22 will kill grizzlies
Are we talking about being fatal, or stopping on the first shot?
>>
>>30265628
>>30265628
Big game is pretty much everything other than rodents, birds, reptiles, and amphibians.

It's an extremely broad category and should be broken down further in discussion. Your deer or Coyote rifle is not your Moose or Griz rifle. Generally.
>>
>>30267767

Stopping on the first shot. Really not so hard, elk, black bear, ram, and really anything below bison and grizzly can be taken comfortably with it.
>>
>>30265814
If you can hit at 200 it will still drop a lot of things but you would be working with magnum, ballistic tip, or ak long range guessfuckery
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.