[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 840x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 840x420
Possible happening in Europe edition

>IRC Channel

#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.con
For Ranger info, obviously.

>Specialtactics.com
For all AFSOC related info, but the site is currently down. Hoping it'll get back up soon.

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general
>>
is there any reason not to go through a state university's ROTC program instead of enlisting at my local strip-mall?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-10-17-54-15.png (649 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-10-17-54-15.png
649 KB, 1920x1200
>>30265073
forgot pic
>>
does anyone have any tips for the medical examination at meps? I dont know why but my recruiter broke up my meps sessions into separate days.
>>
>>30265073
one gets you a college degree and a commission. The other makes you give up all autonomy and below minimal wage. If you have to ask, you should probably enlist and get use to calling 22 year old kids sir.
>>
>>30265073
Becoming an officer upon graduation instead of being enlisted for the rest of your life?

Plus they give you stipends for school fairly early into the program. Though my friend in AFROTC didn't get anything until he was a Junior despite starting as a freshman.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (109 KB, 608x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
109 KB, 608x800
>>30265125
This mentality, is like major problem with the armed forces in general.

Really, it should be senior enlisted folks that get the "prestigious" jobs related to piloting, leadership, command that can be picked up within military specialization schools and officers really need to be shifted into the "techie" world of specialized professions.

Where they do a lot more of the work that the current "civilian" workforce does.
>>
Is there any way to determine where you get posted in the Army?

For example, I wanna be a 68w in a mechanized inf unit. Is there absolutely any way I can try to get there?
>>
any marine corp bros here?

looking into signing an AG (enlisted aircrew) contract.

if anyone is a crew cheif/c-130 loadmaster please redpill me on it
>>
>>30265180
I didn't say being enlisted was a bad thing, just that you shouldn't count on being the ranking person in the room.
>>
I want to be the bad man in the night that comes into your bedroom and wakes you from your dreams

im 25, I work in finance, and I fucking like it. I just dont think there is a future for this industry. After the next financial crash, which will be sooner rather than later, im seriously considering a change

what group does the most night ops?
>>
File: Recruta_zero_03.png (9 KB, 179x152) Image search: [Google]
Recruta_zero_03.png
9 KB, 179x152
tfw 4th year in Army rotc
>>
>I like food and have food prep experience
>want to serve but don't want to do cool guy operator stuff
>travel is a plus

Is the Navy as a CS right for me, it's what I want to do.
>>
File: chef.png (692 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
chef.png
692 KB, 960x640
Are Chef's in Ranger Batt considered operators? If I join the army on an Option 40 as a Linguist, do I get to do cool guy stuff.
>>
>>30265583
You win 4chans faggot of the day award. You are cordially invited to KYS.
>>
>>30266318

thanks faggot. maybe we can swallow the barrels of each others guns, look into our eyes, and countdown from 5, and blow our brains out. i think that would be kind of romantic
>>
>tfw wanna enlist cause outside of fixed wing aviation, they get all the cool jobs.
>tfw wanna go Officer because it's probably better long term / career wise
What do ?
>>
>>30265957
Don't dude, I cranked on my amphib for 6 months with the CS's. They had worse shifts than the fucking engies. When the ship rocks your fucking shit goes everywhere so cleaning up is always a fucking bitch, and NO ONE respects you. Everyone looks down on your rate, but to your face at the mess line they act like your bud so you'll hopefully give them more portions. Do IS bro, 6-figure jobs out the gate in the civvy world thanks to help from your clearance. I loved getting to learn about every dark secret, to see how the world really is.
>>
>>30266490
Could you explain what it is as a rate?

And I have a GED so I may not qualify for some of the more technical jobs unless I score high on the ASVAB.
>>
>>30266615
Bruh, I'm dumb as fuck and I got a 70 which qualifies for IS so I think you'll be fine. For very obvious reasons I can't get too into IS as a rate, but basically it is all about trust and keeping your mouth shut. 3912 - Ground intel focusing on special ops help/V.B.S.S.. 3913 - VERY SECRET SHIT. 3924 - opintel focusing on general all around support to the fleet and fleet assets such as marines V.B.S.S. etc. big Navy type shit. And then there's Imagery which is..... Imagery, self explanatory. IS's learn to collect intel, interpret it, and disseminate it to aid your command's needs. You might brief Marines on the ground, the captain of your ship, or a 2-star admiral in D.C.
>>
I ship for Marine Bootcamp on January 30th 2017. I haven't decided my third MOS of choice yet. This is what I have decided so far:

- combat engineer
- intelligence

Anyone want to recommend a third job for me? I want to work on the front lines, but I don't want to be infantry. I also don't want to work an office job (I know intell is just that, but it's my last choice if all else fails).
>>
I am currently at the hotel, and will be shipping out to Air Force basic training tomorrow. Any tips for me from you guys?

How much should I be worried about the physical portion? Please don't meme on me, I know it is only Air Force but I want to know if a person who isn't in incredible shape can make it. I am skinny, not fat, by the way.
>>
File: 1462298055262.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1617) Image search: [Google]
1462298055262.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1617
How difficult is boot camp? I'm worried that I won't be able to hack it....
60/100 crunches
1250/1330 1.5 mile
1/2 pullup

I'm worried that I'm psyching myself out.
>>
>>30266770
I know there's still "shit" going on, but frontline action type shit is pretty much over if you were hoping to see some generation kill type shit. Don't go to the front lines, you won't end up doing anything meaningful and you might even be unlucky enough to get hit with a random I.E.D. and lose a fucking leg for nothing. PACOM is where the action is headed. The military has been conducting a slow shift to pacific doctrine for years now. Try to go to seoul or Okinawa and get a fucking intel job. As long as you qualify for ground-type intel you can still do cool shit and you'll be set up for life with government contracts once your a civvy. Fuck the middle east bro, it hasn't changed in 2000 years and it won't for another 1000. Keep your legs and let that part of the world kill itself.
>>
>>30266826
You do half a pull up? That run time is horrible.

If your recruiter even ships you he's buddy fucking you. When you first get there they have a PT test, if you can't pass it (what you posted is hardcore fail) they put you in fatbody platoon.

That means you go to boot camp fat boy camp and can't even begin training until you meet minimum standards. that time doesn't count for your 3 months either.

Tl;dr

Get off 4chan and go pt bitch tits.
>>
>>30266874
I appreciate the advice. Intel will definitely be a higher priority for me. If there are no Intel spots available, are there any other jobs you'd recommend?
>>
>>30266826
There are SO many resources online regarding bootcamp life. You haven't even bothered doing your own basic research. You are not physically OR mentally prepared.
>>
>>30266918
plus if you like safe spaces like all the other millennial fags your going to shoot yourself after an ass chewing from your RDC (or other branch equivalent). Toughen up your emotional skin.
>>
>>30265180
>Really, it should be senior enlisted folks that get the "prestigious" jobs related to piloting, leadership, command

brilliant idea, now it only takes 10 years to replace each of these new officers that aren't at all officers, when they get killed.

so...who is going to do all the low level leadership roles? you know the ones that are the leadership training for all the high level officers? those high level officers that now have to do 10 years worth of non-leadership related work before you finally let them be leaders?
>>
>>30266874
>I know there's still "shit" going on, but frontline action type shit is pretty much over if you were hoping to see some generation kill type shit.

given the way shit is going down all over the world right now, i say five years until a major us military deployment. back in iraq, maybe iran too. and the saudi royal family is not looking secure and the russians are playing up.

this is going to get worse before it gets better.
>>
> talking to recruiter tomorrow
> it's a woman

How do I do this
>>
>>30267053
My recruiter was the biggest black nigger on earth, he was an admin pog.

I signed up Infantry 150 lb. Skeleton white boy with high asvab.

It doesn't matter it's not their job to have done what you're going to do. Just give you a little info and help you do paperwork.

Ball her.
>>
>>30266938
Some kind of comms or EW position would also be good, once again, for the civilian benefits once your out. Think of warfare like this, we aren't going out to have a huge tank battle with Saddam or Russia anymore, CyberWarCom IS the next frontier or War. Cyber war as well as smaller teams of "counter terrorism" operators is the future.... at least until WW3 starts and we all die in nuclear fire. Like I said PACOM is the way to go, North Korean fucking psychos and a growing China is what we need to counter now. It's difficult to be a Marine in peacetime, but aim for ground intel. You'll have a great isolated school in Virginia full of pros to teach you the best shit, and you'll be able to support the Pacific mission. And in the event of china or north korea starting some shit, you'll already be there on the frontlines like you want. Pacom is the future.
>>
>>30266826
It's not that hard. Embrace the suck and you'll be fine. Basic was some of the most fun I ever had. Just work on doing pt now.
>>
>>30267161
>Boots call boot camp the suck
>>
>>30265180
100% true. Officers arent even needed anymore. They were during a timeperiod when the average enlisted couldnt fucking read and was borderline retarded. People arent like that anymore.
>>30265583
Youre mom
>>30265957
Yes
>>30266490
This is barely true
>>
>tfw smoker

How difficult is bct if you're a smoker
>>
>Not fit
>Shit teeth
>No legally allowed to enlist in my country cuz teeth
Oh well.
>>
>>30267253
Fucking stop, don't give the kid the impression that being a CS is good. Hours suck, advancement sucks, no respect, shitty clustered berthing, work with the dumbest niggers in the navy, take orders from even dumber niggers.
>>
If someone is seriously considering SOF in the future, is it best to enlist in a line unit for 1-2 years to get the hang of things, rather than going straight for some Option 40, Option 18x shit?
>>
>>30267272
stop smoking
>>
I want to be a tank driver or a member of another Armored Vehicle crew. Tell me about it?
>>
File: tumblr_no0djk1U8k1tmwqh4o1_500.gif (3 MB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no0djk1U8k1tmwqh4o1_500.gif
3 MB, 500x209
>>30267375
it's not for everyone...
>>
>>30267320
Mate i dont know what it was like on your ship but i cranked for 5 months on a cruiser and it was awesome. The CSs there loved it. All of them were cool, yu get to work in your own secluded space so its chill as fuck. All they did was close all the doors and blast music and just relax while they prepped the food. They dont even do that much the cranks do all the cleaning and you know it. Plus if that anon actually wants to cook then its a win win. There are way worse rates in the navy. PLus as a CS you can literally be stationed anywhere cause every base and ship has a galley. Given i wouldnt be one but it aint as bad as you are making it sound. Also curious what rate were you on your amphib?
>>
>>30266918
No no, I can do 2 pullups. However on my last its I only got 1. My runtime is 12:50 and my crunches are 60.

I run mwf and do starting strength. But I haven't noticed a difference.

>>30266956
The problem is that there are too many resources all quoting themselves as gospel when I have nothing to compare it against.

>>30267161
I will try
>>
>>30267426
GM, and dude maybe your ship was cool, but every command I have ever served at has had dank CSs. Ours didn't get happy music, ours cleaned everything but the dishes, ours had Shitty as fuck berthings, ours got no respect, ours looked drab all the time, ours worked from 4 to 2100, and our galley had all it's workings open to viewing due to the huge serving lines.... and again, dumbest fuckers ever led by dumber fucks. Maybe you weren't underway for those 5 months I don't know... but I would never wish the CS rate on any poor kid.
>>
>>30267546
>dude maybe your ship was cool
They were dude. My experience was nothing like that. And not only were we underway during those 5 months but we also were going through inserv. And man it was chill and all the CSs except for 1 were super cool. Im guessing its cause you were on such a huge ship. I was on a cruiser so there were only 5 red shirt cranks and a handful of CSs at one shift so it was super chill.
>4 to 2100
It was no where near that bad for us.
Plus im an OS so if i wasnt cranking id be port and starboard plus have to stay up to clean so chillin in the galley wasnt that bad at all.
>>
>>30267526
When I joined in 2006 3 pull ups were required.

I know because I could only do 4 or 5 and when the guy in front of me got off, I hopped on the bar. DI yelled "Did I tell you to get on the bar!?" Made me armhang for 15 seconds before he said go. Barely pumped 3 and avoided fat body platoon. I got up to 19 in the fleet.

I think your run is also in the fail range. Point is you want to be above minimums or you are risking a world of hurt and shame. You need to meet standards before you join or you're what my DI used to call "certified hot garbage".
>>
>>30267627
What should I do to improve? I feel like my little 30minute workout 3 days a week at the gym isn't cutting it.

The pull-ups more than anything I want to improve. Following that the run times
>>
File: 1448510874868.jpg (26 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1448510874868.jpg
26 KB, 480x640
>>30266782

Good luck in boot camp anon.
>>
File: 1463005548895.png (388 KB, 1038x1864) Image search: [Google]
1463005548895.png
388 KB, 1038x1864
>>30267741
Not that anon but check this out.
Part 2 inbound
>>
>>30267741
I'm not /fit/ but this what I did.

Ran at night during summer because so damn hot. You can add a little weight with a backpack but don't go too heavy. Shin splints and whatnot. Be careful some cop almost arrested me for running with a backpack at 1 am. There was a robbery and thought maybe loot was in my backpack and I was booking it. I told the cop to fuck off and he almost wrestled me to ground, he eventually calmed down and so did I.

As for pull ups go hard for like 2 days or until muscles get sore. Take a rest day, rinse and repeat. It's not rocket surgery, just do what needs done.
>>
I'm in black phase currently but I got sent home for con-leave for a few weeks ask away...
19D @ Harmony Church btw
>>
File: 1463006393443.png (340 KB, 1002x1572) Image search: [Google]
1463006393443.png
340 KB, 1002x1572
>>30267741
>>30267883
>>
>>30267883
>>30267900
Saving these
>>30267885
Will do since I live in Florida

Thank you gentlemen
>>
File: 1465586818499.jpg (14 KB, 238x192) Image search: [Google]
1465586818499.jpg
14 KB, 238x192
>>30267989
>Saving these
They're all yours
>>
>>30267899
Black phase?
Con leave?
>>
>>30266615
dude i got my ged and just signed a contract for CTI, one of the most annoyingly difficult programs to get.
>>
>>30267253
>officers aren't even needed anymore
You learn more than just telling people what to do, asshat. You're an investigator, a judge, a jury, and at times of war an executioner. As an officer you pretty much serve as every type of service job in America at one point.
>>
3.8 Senior here. I was wondering how hard it would be to partake in National Guard, and go to college. Would any kommandos have suggestions for this high schooler?
>>
>>30268163
Yeah stop being a faggot and join the marines.
>>
>>30268151
Mega cringe. Confirmed 100% for never having served. Did you wikipedia that shit you fucking faggot.
99% of officers are over payed, over entitled losers like you who think they are gods gift to the military. They dont do shit yet steal all the credit. Never post here again until youve left your parents basement and have actually deployed.
>>
>>30267421
that was WWII and life as a tanker was very differnt.
>>
>>30268177
No my father is a Lieutenant Commander.

Just because your bitch ass was too stupid to pick up a book and pass a few classes doesn't mean that you deserve to shit on people who did.
>>
>>30268318
>No my father is a Lieutenant Commander.
Right, so you arent. How about you grow up and quit riding your daddys coat tails and sucking his cock you fucking faggot. Like i said you never served so quit living in some fantasy land where officers arent just rich kids who do nothing but paperwork. Fuck you and fuck your faggot father.
>>
>>30268348
>Right so you aren't.
Will be soon. Nepotism works wonders in the Navy. :)
It must suck knowing that no matter how hard you work you'll always make less than even the lowest officer.
>>
>>30268177
you sound disgruntled. maybe if you weren't total shit you wouldn't have a problem with officers?
>>
>>30268177
>be you
>suck at one of the most brainless jobs in the world: being enlisted in the military
>blame all of your failures on officers
>fall into the vicious cycle of blame, failing repeatedly since you never take responsibility for your actions

Meanwhile the people that you blame for your failures are the ones doing the more mental and heavier work. You fuck up as an enlisted guy and its a slap on the wrist. You fuck up as an officer bad enough and you get forced to retire/ kicked out/ put in prison.
>>
>>30265583
>I want to be the bad man in the night that comes into your bedroom and wakes you from your dreams

if you're gay then join the navy
>>
>>30265583
Cringe.
To answer your question SOG/SAD does the most night ops but the job sucks since if anything goes wrong they leave you to die.

Second to that would be DEVGRU or SEALs in general.
>>
>>30268376
Again, clearly youve never served or else you would be to.
>>30268360
>It must suck knowing that no matter how hard you work you'll always make less than even the lowest officer.
Not really, i only did 4 and got out and now im using my GI Bill. My experience was better than any officers could ever come close to. Cause it was real. I didnt sit in my stateroom doing paperwork. I actually did real military stuff i didnt pretend to. Good to know youre gonna grow up to be a faggot just like daddy. Have fun sucking your dept heads dick.
>>30268360
>>30268376
>>30268401
please stop samefagging so hard.
And i didnt suck i made e-5 in 3 years so suck my dick loser. And again youve never served you only heard daddys stories and read wikipedia so you have literally no idea what you are talking about. Its gonna be funny when you get to the fleet and you realize you have literally no power and you get bullied by dept heads and treated like shit by your division.
>>
>>30268412
>all gay people are in the navy
>meanwhile the army has the most homosexuals
>>
I ship out to basic a week from today, /meg/

hold me
>>
>>30268440
>M-muh-muh experience was real! I had fun getting my shit pushed in by a 5'3 chief.
>Your experience was real
>The experience of having huge groups of people under your control and command isn't.
>The responsibility and sheer power of leadership isn't real or at all fun.
I sincerely doubt you even served actually.

>Stop samefagging.
Only two of those are mine.

>Have fun sucking your dept heads dick.
I will, and then one day ill be the one getting my dick sucked. It's the natural order of things.
>>
>>30268468
2 weeks for me famalam. Gotta drop an inch off my waist before then.
>>
>>30268478
>Only two of those are mine.
The fact that you replied to me twice and then admitted show how much of a loser you are.
>>30268478
>I will, and then one day ill be the one getting my dick sucked. It's the natural order of things.
Spoken like a true cuck.
>The experience of having huge groups of people under your control and command isn't.
Enlisted have that as well. Officers literally pretend to. Again youve never served so you have no idea. JOs have no power at all chiefs run the division and once you hit dept head you are completely removed from the enlisted and rarely interact with them. Again your sea stories will consist of how many reams of paper you used.
>I sincerely doubt you even served actually.
I post in these threads all the time, OS2, i was on 2 cruisers at 32nd street SD.
Daddys calling go listen to his stories about using staplers and sticky notes.
>>
File: 1465856550376[2].jpg (391 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1465856550376[2].jpg
391 KB, 2000x2000
>>
>>30268520
>I'm a cuck because I want and actively attempt to get power.
>I'm a cuck because I pay my due diligence to make a name for my family.
>>
>>30268916
Wow you are really grasping at straws now. I guess its late and your cuck daddys asleep so you cant go ask him what you should say next. So not only are you a poser but youre also stupid. Yep youll make a great officer.
>make a name for my family
What world are you living in where you think this is real? No one knows or cares who you are and they never will.
>>
I've heard some shit on the internet about Force Recon being gutted compared to what it used to be, any of that true? Do they still kick in doors and deploy often?
>>
i recently went to six flags and got on the roller coasters five times, and every time i was uncomfortable at best. I want to go to airborne school, but im worried about not being able to go through with jumping out of a plane. Is it the same feeling as you get on a roller coaster? worse? should i just cross out airborne as an option for me?
>>
File: 1459924928887.png (73 KB, 201x226) Image search: [Google]
1459924928887.png
73 KB, 201x226
what did you faggots lie about at MEPS?
>>
>>30269395
No ma'am I've never drank or smoked pot or been diagnosed with depression.
>>
>>30265099
>/mlp/
Your waifu's probably shit anyways.
>>
>>30267202
bratty and amped up deppers being huge faggots?

what a surprise on """/meg/"""

seriously, you're all fags. Like this guy >>30265619
>>
Just checking to make sure nobody is thinking of joining the submarine force?

Nobody? Good.

Unless of course you for some reason want to be a Yeoman, CS, or LS, in which case you should volunteer for submarines since you'll make rank 4x faster than on the surface while earning more then can rotate to some surface shore duty and never go back to a submarine via detailer bullshittery.
>>
>>30265109
>>30265125
I heard with a college degree you can opt for becoming an E-4 or something rather than becoming an officer. I'm on my 3rd year of my degree (bit too late for ROTC), and I'm not sure if I have what it takes to be an officer. I think I could take on the responsibilities of a Specialist, though. What should I do?
>>
>not doing SMP
>>
>>30269791
You can usually get promoted up to at least E-3 for having any college at all. E-4 may be job dependent. But there's a huge difference between being an officer and being enlisted.

Officers: Get paid infinitely better but have more responsibility and are more accountable
Enlisted: Get paid below minimum wage until E-4 then barely make minimum wage, but have essentially no accountability, you can fuck up anything and just say "I thought that's what I was supposed to do." and get away with it.

Basically do you want to be a white collar worker with greater responsibility and higher pay, or a blue collar worker with less responsibility and lower pay.

It might sound dumb but it's a real decision, being a junior officer and getting to a ship and being made division officer of a group of 20 retards isn't necessarily something you want. I know a surface warfare officer who literally tried to kill himself after a deployment because they made him the strike officer with like zero turnover and it was basically hell.
>>
>>30269377
You should cross out your own life you faggot
>>
>>30269856
Yeah, I'm thinking hard about this. It would be an opportunity to challenge myself, earn a decent living, hold a relatively prestigious post, etc. But, given that I'm not 100% certain if I'm confident in my abilities, I don't know if I should take that risk.
>>
>>30269898
Prestige is extremely subjective, things that seem prestigious to you now may turn out to lose their glamour when you actually join the military.

The factors that in my personal experience turned out to be most important are:

- Quality of life
- Workload
- Cool thing doing

This is, of course, assuming you're single and (mostly) debtless.
>>
>>30269951
I'm single and I've got ~20k in debt (with a shitty high interest rate).

Is the workload actually lower for an officer? I've heard there's a lot more long nights and a lot of behind the scenes shit officers need to do.
>>
>>30269960
>Is the workload actually lower for an officer?
Absolutely. Officers dont do shit except paperwork and kiss each others asses. The 4 years i spent on a ship i never saw an officer do any form of physical labor even a single time. Given the pay is great so its a toss up. See >>30269951
If you simply chose a great rate you enjoyed then you could get those 3 things he listed. Just choose wisely.
>>
>>30267355
For 18 series you're going to hate yourself for like 5 years or however long it takes you to make e5. Then hopefully you had enough time to train for the 18 series pipeline (pro-tip, you wont).

18x gives you a shot, wash oUT and you'll be assigned on the needs of the army, so yeah. But 18x gives you ample time to train.

I would personally train for op. 40 to get into batt. You can hate yourself for a much shorter duration and actually get to be a ranger.
>>
>>30264987
Any civil affairs guys here?

Planning to go CA for a reserve unit. How competitive is it. And because civilian experience would be a huge plus for a CA specialist, would it hinder my chances if I don't have anything militarily applicable?

Trying to get into a reserve unit on jump status after graduation (college)
>>
If seriously believe anything but a junior officer has a light workload please educate yourself.
>>
>>30269738
Nuke DEP'er planning on listing subs on dreamsheet.

Me do bad?
>>
>>30269738
I appreciate the warning.

I have a question on the matter though,

Is it true you earn some nuclear engineering college credit while training? Or some recruiter on /meg/ yanking everyone's chain?
>>
>>30270743
Hahahah.

Tell me, what respectable college that you would actually want to go to would give you a full BS for a nuclear engineering degree you earned in the Navy?

It is true you earn "college credits", but..

Remember this, NO college is under any obligation to accept ANY credits you earned in the mil. They'll probably take some as general education though, maybe 10-20 if you're lucky.

Do not join because you think you're going to get a degree as well, you're gonna have to actually earn that.

I don't remember what it is, but the whole nuke pipelin is equivalent to like only 50 credits or something. So an AS almost.
>>
>>30266770
Go be a comms guy, you'll be a Sgt in 3 years
>>
any aussies have any questions about the ADF i'll be happy to answer

i'll be lurkin for a while
>>
>>30269856
>Officers are white collar
>Enlisted are blue collar and make less than minimum wage

Confirmed for never being in the military. Enlisted do all the white collar jobs too.

I enlisted out of High School and was sitting in an office making north of 70k as an enlisted analyst by the time my HS bros started coming in as officers.

By the time they got to O3 and were making good money, I was already out and working a contract.

>>30270857

>Colleges aren't required to give credit

They are if there's an articulation agreement. That's how I finished my BS in three years while active duty.
>>
>>30271037
You are totally right, articulation agreements do exist.

I just wanted to education Anon, and not have him fooled into thinking he's gonna just get a free degree just for completing training or whatever.
>>
>>30270924
How much could I be making if I went in with 0 skills / degrees? As in spending little, living in provided/ subsidized housing etc

Would you recommend it over doing an apprenticeship?
>>
>>30270731
At least go boomers (king's bay or washington). Those guys are generally happier than fast-attack studs.
>>
>>30270743
It's more of a "science" degree than an "engineering" degree. See also what the other anon said.
>>
>>30265202
There is a "wishlist" of places you can go at the end of AIT, where your instructors will offer first pick to the top student

but at the end of the day they can send you wherever they damn well please
>>
>>30269960

No. At my last job, it was rare for me to leave the office before 8 PM.

Generally speaking, more is expected of officers in terms of time and workload. In the Army, it's unacceptable to keep your junior enlisted at work past the end of the duty day without an extremely good reason. Most soldiers can tell you stories of units and posts that they were at where 1SGs and CSMs would wander around at the end of the day and get in the ass of any NCOs or officers who hadn't let their soldiers go yet. On the flip side, officers can stay forever, and when you're a staff officer, often times commanders expect you to be there whenever they are. And that's not even mentioning posts like Fort Bragg, which has an unspoken 'who can stay the latest' dick measuring contest amongst the officers.

tl;dr: Officers absolutely have higher workload and longer hours than enlisted. Except for absolute shitbag officers who were actively dodging work, I've never seen this not be the case.

>>30270056
Confirmed for junior enlisted.
>>
>>30271584
Why do you even come to these shit hole fucking threads anymore
>>
>>30271676
I haven't in months. Woke up too early and have some extra time before leaving for work, but not enough time for vidya.

Or I just hate myself. I mean, it's one of those.
>>
>>30271676

For real.

Most people already jumped ship for reddit. All these threads end in shitpost fests started by some 20 year old who hates his job but still comes here to feel superior to all the high school kids who aren't in yet.
>>
>>30271719
Reddit is legitimately way better for these kind of threads.

I haven't been here in months, but those earlier posts about "Officer not doing any work" pretty much confirmed my original belief that these threads are completely worthless now.
>>
>>30271735

They were always useless imo. They were always full of kids who weren't even poolees passing around misinformation, a few people who were vets and giving outdated info, and some people who were in but in a niche job so secluded from the rest of the military that all they could speak on was their own job and initial training.

I believe this is why we sometimes go days without a person making a new meg - nobody cares whether it exists.
>>
>>30271584
>>30271695
Again, you arent listening to what im saying. I said officers work is far easier than enlisted. You arent doing physical labor. You are sitting in an office doing nothing but paperwork. Learn to read.
>>30271676
Stop sucking his dick
>>30271719
>>30271735
Go to reddit then and dont come back
And again, they do paperwork which isnt even work, sitting in an office doesnt compare to physical labor i dont care how long it fucking lasts
>>30271784
Please pull your lips off of his cock
>>
>>30271937
t. junior enlisted
>>
>>30272021
t. E-5 and i got out in 4. Clearly you never served or youd know that im correct. Maybe its different in the Army than it was in the Navy but i highly doubt it.
>>
>>30272029
I highly doubt anything you say you bitter squid
>>
>>30271695
>>30271719
>>30271735
>>30271784
>>30272021
>>30272042
Listen to me you brainwashed cucks, im gonna to explain to you what my day was like undwerway o deployement vs my CICO/JO.
>JO
He stood one watch a day so 5 hours on the bridge.
Then the rest of his day was free to sit in his stateroom and do paperwork.
Thats literally it.
>Me OS2
I stood 12 hours of watch a day
We were port and stbd, we split the mid into 2 watches so 00-07 07-12 12-17 17-00
So i stood 07-12 and 17-00 on watch every day. Then in between 12-17 i had to clean and do maintenance and training. No sleep. So if i was lucky 00-06ish was my free time. So i had to cram sleep, laundry, working out, and literally anything else i felt like doing into that 6 hr block. Heaven forbid i read a book or watch a movie or whatever. So at best 4-5 hrs of sleep.
I also had to do P&D line for unreps, Rep 5 for GQs, I was on ASW plot and NSFS Radio talker.
AKA PHYSICAL LABOR and lots of extra duties.
Officers do literally nothing compared to enlisted and anyone who thinks otherwise is either lying or hasnt served. Stop sucking officers dicks and grow up.
>>
>>30269898
Fuck you, go for it.
I had the opportunity to try to be an officer and I passed on it because I thought the way you did.
Its been almost 10 years now and I have a decent job (civil engineer), decent pay, house, car, motorcycle, guns, money, gf.

I hate myself every day for not trying. You will too.
>>
Going to seminary soon to be a navy chaplain
Looking forward to a trump presidency so we can be "tough on Isis"
>>
>>30271584
I'd like to stay in for 20 years. Would you say enlisted or officer is the way to go?
>>
>>30272456
Its not that cut and dry. benefit and money wise officer wins, but if you can find a job/rate/mos you love doing than staying enlisted and doing that for 20 years might be perfect for you.
>>
Here come the shitposts, right on time to close out the thread.
>>
>>30269738
what about for officers?
>>
>>30272534
What shit posts?
>>
>>30272549
All submarine officers other than supply officers have to go through the nuclear propulsion pipeline, so If you're not interested in that you shouldn't even consider it.

Living conditions are slightly better than enlisted crew, working hours in port are about the same, sometimes better, at sea you stand watches on the same rotation as everyone else on the ship. Seems like a bad surface warfare posting is worse than an average submarine officer posting, but as ever being on a submarine generally sucks quite a lot however you do it.

Except someone to come at you with a technical drawing of a vertical launch system covered in highlights and annotations that you don't really understand and ask you for permission to do something to it and hours later find yourself getting yelled at by the captain because you said "Okay" and it turned out the VLS just shat out a hundred gallons of hydraulic oil into the water because they didn't isolate it right and you should have noticed that on the drawing and now they need to order new oil and squadron wants to know where the oil went and how they know about an environmental contamination issue and they're after someones ass about it and it may as well be yours!.
>>
File: 123156575789.jpg (68 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
123156575789.jpg
68 KB, 300x300
>>30264987
>meeting with the recruiter Thursday
>find out its a grill
>she sounds cute as fuck
>>
>>30269674
and did you serve without any problems or are you in DEP
>>
What's the best branch to join to do intelligence work? Also, would that help me to get into a three letter government agency after my enlistment? Thinking of joining after college.
>>
>>30273413
Navy
>>
>>30273413

You'd have a better chance joining an agency if you go straight to college; the military will be a waste of the first 4-8 years of your adult life if that is your goal.
>>
>>30274661
Not with intelligence agencies.
Sure, do school while you're in, but school doesn't get you a security clearance. School doesn't get you the experience you want.
>Source: being a former Marine who actually did this shit, and who works with literally hundreds of others at my location who have as well.
>>
File: 14659341842771118639563.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
14659341842771118639563.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>30273413
t. Someone training into intel
>>
Any Canucks here?

Ending Elec Eng. degree in a year, industry where I live is dead and I have no connections. Am I better off enlisting or trying my luck in the job market?
I have zero self respect and easily meet the physical requirements if that makes any difference.
>>
>>30274765

The agencies recruit directly from college campuses, which is how I got in (aqdemo/CiV). I was in a cohort full of kids who were 21 years old. My five years in the military and my old clearance did nothing for me, showing up to the information session with all the other kids on campus did.

>Source: also a former Marine who actually did this shit who also works with literally hundreds of others at my location who have as well.
>>
>>30274806

Are you the same guy who posts pictures of his trousers and shit on his dorm chair in nearly every meg?
>>
>>30273208
That'll just make it easier for her to get you to overlook something in negotiations or on your contract. Fap before going if you need to.

>>30274661
>tfw I'm going to grad school so that statement is my life regardless
>>
>>30275052
Not him but WTF do you care? Dude's in the .mil, leave him alone.
>>
>>30275604

Do people in training flight even have email addresses?

Anyway, he is a known shitposter. He brings down the threads and all he does is attention whore.
>>
>>30272801
I'm interested in the pipeline. But I'm not too motivated as far as living in the sub itself, that's why I'm looking into the SWO-nuke path. I was inside one recently and it just seemed kinda shitty overall, pay notwithstanding.
I'm sure the responsibility aspect is universal for officers though. I know the officers don't hot rack though
>>
>>30275771
JOs just get their own rack in the less smelly, less sonar tech infested berthing. When they get less junior they share a stateroom with one of the department heads.

How shitty it actually is doesn't really hit you while you're there because you're ridiculously busy all of the time. The fact that you'd have better living conditions in a prison doesn't really occur until later on.
>>
File: 1465252834111.jpg (68 KB, 750x726) Image search: [Google]
1465252834111.jpg
68 KB, 750x726
>>30265099
HILLARY
>>
So I've been doing some research into aviation in the National Guard, and I'm not finding a lot of information on what the upper age limits are for non-service. It's easy to find the age limits for active duty and reserve, but the nat guard stuff I've read is somewhat confusing. Do any of you fine anons happen to know what it might be, or where I might find it? Much thanks in advance.
>>
>>30277760
Non-prior service, I mean.
>>
How exactly is someone assigned certain weapons in the Army? For example, if I wanted to be a grenadier how would I go about this?
>>
>>30277820
You go infantry or you don't touch weapons other than to qualify and clean them. If it isn't your MOS or in your contract, you won't be doing it unless it is some shit detail.
>>
>>30275040
I'm studying political science and my GPA is shitty so I doubt that I'm going to get into something like that unless I do some kind of military service.
>>
>>30277776
>>30277760

http://www.militaryspot.com/enlist/what-is-the-maximum-age-limit-for-each-branch-of-the-military

Found it in the first google result.
>>
File: siberia.jpg (123 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
siberia.jpg
123 KB, 736x552
>>30264987
git dam
All of these horror stories about a kid being diagnosed with ADHD by some feminist college student at age 5, and then getting denied before meps or discharged after security finds it give me the heebie jeebies.

For you guys who are in (preferably post 2006, but before is fine too), What mental disorders did doctors say you have (we all know theyre bullshit in 99% of cases), and what medical disorders did you have? What did you disclose? How smooth was sailing?
>>
>>30278295
Thanks for the link, but I was curious about the aviation branch of the National Guard itself, not just the cutoff ages for the branch itself.
>>
>>30269791
What you can do is come in as an E-4( a 4 year degree gets you that automatically) and go to OCS. It's pretty competitive but that's the best route without ROTC.
>>
>>30278907
Do I go to OCS immediately, or have a few months/years on the job first before transferring to OCS?
>>
>>30278907
>>30278979

If you have a degree, just go to OCS. Enlisting does not help you pass an OCS board at all. "Bro, just enlist and then you'll be competitive for OCS" is 100 % bullshit that recruiters try to feed kids with shitty GPAs. If your GPA is shit, you have to improve your GPA, enlisting won't help you. If your GPA isn't shit, enlisting still won't help you get to OCS.
>>
File: 14659607527151017174899.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
14659607527151017174899.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Don't come here. Spending 2 years in aetc is a bad choice
>>
>>30277844
Well that's just not true.

>>30277820
It depends on your unit and it's organization. Every unit has a table of organization which is the "on paper" blueprint for how many weapons and how they are organized. If you come into a unit which is short a particular person to man a weapon, it goes to you. Weapons beyond the TO&E are assigned really at the platoon sergeant discretion. If for example, there are more grenade launchers in the armorery than what is on the TO&E, the platoon leaders may figure out a way to allocate the extras.

As a brand new soldier to a unit, you will have very little say in what you get. Your opinion on getting or not getting something means jack shit to anyone. You will most likely be issued a service rifle only. If mounted, you may get experience on a crew serve. If you show an aptitude you may be eventually issued a grenade launcher. If you show oxen like strength you may become an assistent gunner and then become a gunner.
>>
>>30265108
Just remember you've never done drugs or drank. They don't have any access to medical records unless your recruiter sends you with info about a broken arm etc. If you're fat and have to do tape then suck your gut in.
>>
>>30271937
>I said officers work is far easier than enlisted. You arent doing physical labor. You are sitting in an office doing nothing but paperwork.

Paperwork is not automatically easier or better than physical labor. Plenty of people join the military because their civilian jobs were full of paperwork and they hate that shit.

>>30272089
>He stood one watch a day so 5 hours on the bridge.
>Then the rest of his day was free to sit in his stateroom and do paperwork.

Wow, he was free to go back to his room and continue to do fucking work. What a privilege. I know I'm always ecstatic when I have the chance to take work home and continue to nug on some horrendous project over the weekend. Oh, that's some other shit that 99% of enlisted will never have to deal with.

>>30272089
>So i stood 07-12 and 17-00 on watch every day. Then in between 12-17 i had to clean and do maintenance and training. No sleep. So if i was lucky 00-06ish was my free time. So i had to cram sleep, laundry, working out, and literally anything else i felt like doing into that 6 hr block. Heaven forbid i read a book or watch a movie or whatever. So at best 4-5 hrs of sleep.

Yeah, welcome to deployments. When I was on the RC-S staff in Afghanistan, we worked 18 hour shifts. On the plus side, I got to leave the office for an hour every day to give purple hearts to amputees in the role 3, and that's some super easy paperwork officer bullshit so it was basically just whatever.
>>
>>30272456
Nobody actually knows that they want to do 20.

Just join the way that you want to do the job that you want and figure everything else out later.
>>
>>30274806
I know those wall lockers and that carpet. You're at DLI and have not done any actual intel training whatsoever.
>>
>>30280445

Probably the same guy who was telling everyone not to be a linguist last thread, then admitted he was still in training and was simply bitching about DLI.
>>
>>30270731
Sure, choose one of the most tedious rates with the least amount of free-time/highest workload AND go subs.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the quality of life.

Reactor dept. onboard ship is like 500 people and I think I maybe see ONE once a week come out and squint at the sun.

Seriously, Nuke is bad enough already, don't go to a sub as a nuke.
>>
>>30280433
I'm not totally sure what I want to do. I'm learning French in college, I hope to become fluent and I'd like if that skill could transfer into something in the Army. I was thinking intel (although I don't know much about it), but mainly I just want to serve my country (lol)
>>
>>30280499
Intel is a joke unless you want to do special forces/crypto/terp shit.

If making power points all day is your idea of a good time, then go for it.
>>
>>30280497
I think it's arguably better because nukes aren't disposable on subs so even though they still have a ridiculous workload and horrible working hours (to be fair most of the ship does ) there's still at least some consideration to the fact that they can't just get a new one if you blow your brains out since your shipboard qualifications aren't easily replaceable. There isn't a reactor 500 man reactor department on a submarine, reactor is a division a division and it's like 10 dudes max.
>>
>>30280613
I am of course speaking from a surface fleet perspective. (FC2)

I could have become a nuke, and seeing those miserable bastards makes me thankful every day that I didn't.
>>
>>30267375
you will die screaming and on fire
>>
>>30280550
Is there any field you can think of that would allow me to utilize french?
>>
>>30280679
Most of the surface nukes I ever met were from the Eisenhower and they a lot of them seemed to hate their lives worse than basically any submarine nuke I've ever known.

The only thing I could really put it down to is that the submarine force does actually value nuclear trained personnel and the surface fleet clearly doesn't and treats them as consumables.

I still don't think being a nuke on a sub is a great idea though unless you have a dire need to make a bunch of money and don't care about having any free time to do anything with it. Mostly because the have basically zero involvement in anything interesting the ship might do operationally.

While the majority of forward compartment watchstanders are involved with things like detection and contact management, navigation and ships control nukes are wandering around the engine room with a clipboard or sitting in maneuvering answering engine orders with no idea what the ship is doing.

Rates that stand watch in Control are, have a way cooler (but not necessarily better) experience on a submarine by far, but obviously get paid less than nukes (they still get the normal special pay for submarines).

Doing something interesting and feeling involved in the operation of the ship was something that I felt was important.
>>
>>30267375

If you get a catastrophic failure you will die quickly. If not, you'll die screaming on fire trying to get out. If you somehow get out of that flaming deathtrap you inhaled fire and smoke into your lungs in which case your lungs are toast and you'll most likely pull out your sidearm and off yourself.

If you get hit by AT pray for a quick death.
>>
>>30264987
Thinking of enlisting as 35 series in the Army, two questions

Are there any jobs where you could get some time in the field? Not expecting full combat action just don't wanna be cooped up on base if I deploy somewhere

Do you need a security clearance? I looked on the army's website but didn't see anything and it seems weird that you could get that kinda job without it.
>>
File: 1465154906626.gif (349 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
1465154906626.gif
349 KB, 350x233
>>30280415
>Paperwork is not automatically easier or better than physical labor
Yes it if you fucking faggot. How is typing on a computer more difficult that busting your back with a needle gun? Being on all fours sanding some engine space laying in a puddle of oil? Humping pallets of food around for hours on end?
>Plenty of people join the military because their civilian jobs were full of paperwork and they hate that shit.
Whether they like it or not is irrelevant, its easier. Simple as that. You are/were an overpaid secretary at best.
>>30280415
>Wow, he was free to go back to his room and continue to do fucking work.
Ok i was still working as well. Except hes sitting in his room relaxing doing paperwork again while im out in the heat of the equator on my hands and knees chipping paint. Wow what a hard choice on which is easier.
>and that's some super easy paperwork officer bullshit so it was basically just whatever.
Do you realize how retarded and out of touch you are? Youre complaining about giving out purple hearts, what about the fucking enlisted that were getting them?!?!?! Id say the guy who got his leg blown off has it harder than you and youre paperwork.

You are living in a fantasy land were typing on a computer and sorting through files is somehow as hard/back braking as real physical labor. Drop dead and stop posting here you irrelevant faggot.

Also so everyone reading this doesnt mis-understand me, I am not saying you shouldnt go officer or that it is not worth doing. Im saying the fucking opposite. If you have half a brain and are able you might as well go officer. Look at what this faggot is complaining about for christs sake. His "hard day" is sorting through award recommendations in Afghanistan. You are also way overpaid. Its significantly easier than being enlisted, you constantly get your ass kissed and make way more money than you deserve to. Go officer if you can just please stay attached to the real world unlike the faggot im talking to.
>>
>>30267998
the second to last stage of Army BCT
I dislocated my elbow during FTXIII so they sent me home for 30 days.
>>
File: 1463625101323.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463625101323.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Does an OTS candidate even have a shot at flying one of these?

Or are all planes A-10s or above (in terms of billy-badass planes) reserved for Academyfags?
>>
>>30282647
Depending on the work and how much of it there is, paperwork isn't automatically easier than labor. You have to look beyond physical sensations like soreness if officers really do work as much as the other guy said.
>>
>>30283285
>paperwork isn't automatically easier than labor
Yes it is, the only reason you would think this is if you have never done physical labor. Thats like a king saying his job is as hard as a serf working the fields.
>if officers really do work as much as the other guy said.
What you and he arent getting is the fact that while those officers are doing paperwork then enlisted are still working as well. I rarely ever heard of officers "working" longer hours than enlisted side.
If you dont believe me talk to any BM from the navy and ask them if they think there 1st LT "worked" as hard as they did. Youd have to be a true liar or borderline retarded to think that.
>>
>>30282647
>Yes it if you fucking faggot. How is typing on a computer more difficult that busting your back with a needle gun? Being on all fours sanding some engine space laying in a puddle of oil? Humping pallets of food around for hours on end?

Sanding isn't difficult it just sucks.

Driving a fuel truck from FOB X to FOB Y isn't difficult it just sucks.

Getting up at 0300 because you're a cook and you have to make 500 pounds of powdered eggs isn't difficult, it just sucks.

If you tell me that a fueler or cook's job is more difficult than, say, an intel analyst's, or a commo weenie's, etc., I'm going to tell you that you're a moron. If you tell me that it sucks more, sure, yeah, I'm on board.

>Ok i was still working as well. Except hes sitting in his room relaxing doing paperwork again while im out in the heat of the equator on my hands and knees chipping paint. Wow what a hard choice on which is easier.

Chipping paint is definitely easier. It just sucks.

>You are living in a fantasy land were typing on a computer and sorting through files is somehow as hard/back braking as real physical labor. Drop dead and stop posting here you irrelevant faggot.

Let's take this back to where it came from. The question you answered was:

And the answer is no.

>You are also way overpaid. Its significantly easier than being enlisted,

I'm sorry that you didn't get paid more for your incredible one-of-a-kind paint chipping skills.
>>
Part 2: Does it suck
>>30282647
>Do you realize how retarded and out of touch you are? Youre complaining about giving out purple hearts, what about the fucking enlisted that were getting them?!?!?!

I realize that you're pretty set in your anti-officer worldview, but protip: It's not just enlisted that get wounded. It's a fucking lotto; maybe that shady ANP decides to shoot you in the back, maybe he doesn't. Maybe the first vehicle gets hit, maybe the last. Anyone going outside the wire is at risk. Depending on exactly where you're at, IDF is a threat on the FOB as well. By quantity, you're going to have more enlisted casualties than officers, but we had plenty of both.

For me, green on blue and IDF were really the only risks, because as I mentioned, I was a staff officer on that deployment, which means I rarely left the FOB. As I said, 18 hours a day in an office. It's possible to say that's an 'easy' deployment, but it really depends on your personality and point of view. Our chief of staff had to put in writing an order confining us (the officers specifically) to the FOB without his explicit approval to leave it, because people were so desperate to get the fuck out of there.

I doubt that you could understand the immense suck that is being part of a headquarters staff, so let's just say that we had officers resign their commissions upon reassignment to the unit because they would much rather get shot at and blown up in a line unit rather than hating life in a canary yellow windowless room for 18 hours a day.

I guarantee if you give an average infantryman the choice between a deployment doing combat operations vs. one stuck in a operations center, it's not going to take them very long at all to make their choice.
>>
>>30284052
>>30284066

>Sanding isn't difficult it just sucks.
>difficult vs sucks
Are you really splitting these hairs? Getting desperate to prove that your paper cuts are as bad loosing a leg?
>>Is the workload actually lower for an officer?
>And the answer is no.
In terms of "sucks" it is way easier. Again you are complaing about being stuck in an office and getting stir crazy but guess what thats called first world problems. I bet you complain when the officers mess runs out of coffee creamer too.
>I'm sorry that you didn't get paid more for your incredible one-of-a-kind paint chipping skills.
Deflecting
>I realize that you're pretty set in your anti-officer worldview
Idiot, as i said above, im not anti-officer im pro if you are going career. If i was staying in for 20 as opposed to the 4 i did i would absolutely cross over to officer. Im just not pretending why i would do it. The money is significantly better especially considering you are oding nothing but pushing paper. Whether you think that is more "difficult" or not than the cs getting up at 0300 or not is regardless. In terms of pay/per hour of work and difficulty or work officers are so out of whack its ridiculous. Tons of money and ass kissing for nothing but making copies.
>It's not just enlisted that get wounded
>Enlisted personnel make up 83.4% of the total force, and experienced 89.9% (4,212) of the total casualties
>89.9%
Dream on faggot your paper cuts dont count
> As I said, 18 hours a day in an office.
As I said, 18 hours on watch then doing maintenance, ill take the office any time
>I doubt that you could understand the immense suck that is being part of a headquarters staff,
I doubt you could understand the immense suck on being covered in oil and exhausted and being told you cant even shower yet let alone sleep cause there is still work that needs to be done
Part 1
>>
>>30284052
>>30284066
>>30284154
part 2
> hating life in a canary yellow windowless room for 18 hours a day.
Welcome to the navy, as i said i spent a minimum of 12 hours in a blue lit room.
>I guarantee if you give an average infantryman the choice between a deployment doing combat operations vs. one stuck in a operations center, it's not going to take them very long at all to make their choice.
Again not the point at all. We are discussing who does less work and makes more money. If they choose that for personal choices or they like the action makes no difference.
The fact is you made way too much money to pretend to be a soldier and remove staples and make power points for your boss.
>>
Anyone have info about 29E, I've only been able to find very general things about the mos
>>
>>30282171
Just call a recruiter man, it wont kill you i promise.
>>
Talked to air force recruiter yesterday. going to meps next monday/tuesday. He said some 3d0 jobs are in demand. Excited and studying some for asvab. anyhting to worry about at meps?
>>
>>30286275
Ya keep your fucking mouth shut. Dont tell them what they dont need to know/ask. Theyll never find out about that one time you smoked a joint when you were 14. No one cares so keep your lips sealed unless you dont want to join. Unless you have a fucking police record shut the hell up about your past.
>>
>>30266782
I went through not barely being able to do the pushups and situps portion and failing the run while weighing 118 pounds. You'll do fine if you can listen and not be a retard.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 271x186
2 weeks until I leave for Ft Jackson
Haven't worked out, except once per week at recruiter

how boned am i
>>
>>30286499
i never did drugs or drink or get into trouble. never broke anything. the only thing is i wear glasses. what am i expected to do at meps?
>>
>>30281738
Interpreter maybe.

Allied languages are in less demand thoguh than things like chinese, russian, pashto, farsi, etc.
>>
>>30286673
If you can pass by the end, you'll be fine.

That's all that really matters. You will probably have a harder time in between though.
>>
>>30278295
>coast guard age limit 27
well shit i was considering joining the coast guard but i'm turning 28 in July. no prior service.
>>
>>30281738
Civil affairs.

Be aware though, you're not going to go to France to speak French. It'll be sub-Saharan Africa, Haiti, etc.
>>
>>30284154
>>30284175
If you can't acknowledge that there is a difference between work that is challenging and work that is unpleasant, I don't think this is going to go anywhere.
>>
>>30286872
Nothing youll be perfectly fine, dont stress thousands of people have done what youre about to do before, they made it and so will you. Relax.
>>
>>30286673
What determines what boot camp you get sent to? I hear for Jackson is the easiest and has women. I want to be sent to a tough one
>>
>>30284208
>29
Sorry anon, this general only seems to ever care about the 11, 18, and 35 series.
>>
>>30287963
You get sent wherever based on availability. There is zero sense to it whatsoever. I went to Jackson for basic despite the fact that my follow on training was at Benning.

Everybody thinks that the place that they went for basic is the hardest. I think it's mostly memes and bullshit, basic varies a lot depending on the unit and time of year.
>>
Obligatory branch-shilling shitpost
>>
File: sticker,375x360.u1.png (153 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
sticker,375x360.u1.png
153 KB, 375x360
So a few years ago I was trying to join the army, I didnt fill out any forms but I gave the recruiter my name, address, SSN, all that good stuff after taking the practice asvab. After that he started asking me what I guess the standard questions are "why do you want to join?". "are you a terrorist?", and so on, it got to the point where he asked me if I had a history of any mental illness and I admitted I saw a therapist for depression and was on Prozac for one month 3 years ago. At that point he said I would need transcripts of all my appointments with the therapist to give to him to try to get a waiver to be let in. I didn't do it and stopped all contact with the recruiter after this meeting because Im sure as fuck that they would've rejected me for sure. But now, my question is if I were to go to a different recruiter would I be flagged in their systems some how? If I lie and say Ive never seen a therapist/was on prozac would they find out?
>>
>>30287894
>If you can't acknowledge that there is a difference between work that is challenging and work that is unpleasant, I don't think this is going to go anywhere.
I type out all that and thats literally all you reply with. Is this your way of waving the white flag or admitting youre a biased moron. You are trying to split the difference between something being challenging and unpleasant but most would argue they are the same thing. I think what you are trying to equate here is challenging=mentally tough and unpleasant=physically tough. Sure shoveling shit all day long is what you would call un pleasant but not challenging but thats because you have an intellectual bias. Sure it isnt as mentally challenging as open heart surgery but its challenging all the same. Its physically challenging and mentally challenging because of the boring repetition of such a menial task. So the fact the you cant acknowledge that physically challenge is far worse than mentally challenging than this really isnt going anywhere. Thats called a first world problem. Again you are like the king complaining to the serfs busting their backs in the fields that making decisions is so "challenging". You are flat out wrong and honestly you seem like a spoiled child. They give disability to enlisted for having blown out knees, backs, ankles and hips from working thier whole time in the service, they dont give officers disability for papercuts or for having "challenged" their "minds" so much while being in.
>>
>>30282647

If technically intensive desk jobs were actually so easy, people would flock to them and comfortable white-collar jobs wouldn't pay so much better than back-breaking blue collar jobs.

The reality is that anyone can fill sandbags, but far less people can handle sitting at a desk for 6-10 hours a day and working with software. Define "hard' however you want, but that's how demand for labor is set.
>>
>>30288286
>technically intensive desk jobs
Please for the love of god stop inferring things i didnt say. Im not talking about a technical job/rate/mos in the military, im talking about OFFICERS. Its completely different. Paperwork and muster reports arent technical. Micro managing and complaining and stoping fun constantly isnt technical. I have nothing but respect for technical enlisted guys who actually do real maintenance because most of that requires tough labor as well. What officers do is completely different. Btw if you didnt actually serve please dont repsond to me again. Im sick of arguing with you little kids who watched hunt for red October or whatever too many times and think thats what the military is acutally like. Officers are just as stupid, lazy and corrupt as the enlisted side is. They arent some holy gods that can do no wrong. If you ask any enlisted from literally any branch if officers are way over payed they will without a doubt say yes.
>>
>>30288473
>If you ask any enlisted from literally any branch if officers are way over payed they will without a doubt say yes.
You mean people will say others making more than them are overpaid? Damn. It's almost like it's human nature or something.
>>
>>30288473

Enlisted. Army. I don't think officers are overpaid. I make about the same as officers my age. Give it a couple more years and they will be making more, but I'll be out of the Army by then.
>>
>>30288548
Nice cherry picking. And some people who make alot of money actually deserve it. Clearly you are a basement warrior. Go back to watching an officer and a gentleman and pretending thats your life.
>>
>>30288596
>but I'll be out of the Army by then.
Ok so pretend you stayed in. Think about how much money they start making around O-4 and up. Absurd amounts of money and easy as hell.
>I make about the same as officers my age
Age is irrelevant, time in the army is more important. Cause yes at 4 years in when i got out i was E-5 making good money but if i was an officer in for 4 years id be O-2 at least about to make O-3. Officers make far more money plain and simple.
>>
I was thinking about joining the national guard as an artilleryman. Anybody here have experience with it?
>>
>>30288641
>Ok so pretend you stayed in. Think about how much money they start making around O-4 and up. Absurd amounts of money and easy as hell.

I mean, they'll be making less than I will at that point as a civilian, so it's kind of hard to rile up the butthurt.

>Age is irrelevant, time in the army is more important. Cause yes at 4 years in when i got out i was E-5 making good money but if i was an officer in for 4 years id be O-2 at least about to make O-3. Officers make far more money plain and simple.

You're forgetting that I was getting paid while they were in college, so they have some catching up to do. In the long run they're going to earn more if both of us do a career, but if both of us just do 6~ years? I'm quite happy with my decision to enlist, from a financial perspective.

Not to mention officers have some additional bullshit that I don't really have to deal with.
>>
>>30288709
I agree mostly, i only did 4 years and got out so in terms of our decisions you are absolutly correct enlisted is the way to go. Its a cash grab, Enlist after High school, save up money, get out and us the gi bill for college. Its a great plan and i did it myself. But again im saying hypothetically if we stayed in. In a 20 year career officers will earn far more and do far less work.
>>
>>30288611
Says the guy using ad hominem.

>>30288709
>Not to mention officers have some additional bullshit that I don't really have to deal with.
I don't think try to be neutral with him is going to do anything. He clearly as an ax to grind against officers even if he flat out denied it earlier.
>>
>>30288762
>earn more for less work

I mean, I wouldn't do what they do for their level of pay (otherwise I would have pursued a commission). "Less work" is sort of a tough pitch if the work is unpalatable.

Gay porn actors probably make more than I do for "less work", but that doesn't mean I'm jealous and want to get fucked in the ass.
>>
>>30288778
>ad hominem.
Thats a meme word please tell me you realize that. Your character matters so yes you are a basement dwelling loser. Seriously consider suicide.
>He clearly as an ax to grind against officers even if he flat out denied it earlier.
For the 3rd time, yes i do. Officers have a fantastic gig what makes me mad is that they are in denial about it pretending that they dont. Do less and easier work and make more money for it. Sounds awesome who wouldnt want to do it. All i want is for them to admit it and we can have peace.
>>
>>30288881
Thats your personal preference. Which is fine but again thats just how YOU feel. You need to look at it from a neutral point of view. I also would rather stay enlisted and then possibly go warrant later in my career rather than go officer early on but regardless i realize that officers still at the end of the day all thigns considered have it far better than enlisted. I havent even mentioned how much better the living conditions are compared to enlisted. I wasnt in the army i was navy so im not sure about on army bases but i can assume. On a ship the disparity between the officers and enlisted is mind boggling.
>>
Applying for a ROTC scholarship. One of the checkboxes ask me if have a varsity letter or not. I was in a varsity track for 1 year but did not receive a letter. Should I lie and say I received one? Do they check for letters? Also any tips on how to get a scholarship?
>>
>>30288927

Nobody w/BAH who isn't retarded lives in military-provided housing in the Army, so your living situation is whateverthefuck you feel like.

Personally I rent a tiny place and pocket almost a grand in BAH difference every month. I neither need nor want a big house.

Officers don't "have it better" from a neutral point of view, they have it better from your point of view. You happen to value everything on a scale of how much physical labor you do versus how big your paychecks are. That isn't really an objective metric or a good overall measure of how "good" you have it, especially considering you've admitted you wouldn't trade your life for theirs. Obviously there is more to it.
>>
>>30289016
Im talking about when you are deployed not when you are stateside. And again im saying officers are over payed for the level of difficutly of their job. I wouldnt do it because i dnt like paperwork/office work. PLus i liked the rate i had so i wouldnt want to hop around the way officers do. Again i am saying they are overpaid for the type of work they do. Whether i want to do it or you do is again, irrelevant.
>>
>>30289112

Nobody in the Army is deploying now. For the last few years I've had a cushy office job that isn't even allowed to deploy. Sounds like the Navy just sucks or you had a shit job, bro.

If officers are overpaid for what they do, why do so many of them leave after their first obligation and make more money as civilian managers? Managers make good money in the civilian world too, after all.
>>
I'm going to Ft. Benning in a little bit more than a month for basic. Any one have any info on what basic is like there, or any tips?
>>
>>30289197
>If officers are overpaid for what they do, why do so many of them leave after their first obligation and make more money as civilian managers?
Officer retention is higher than enlisted retention.

>Sounds like the Navy just sucks or you had a shit job, bro.
All rates/jobs live in the exact same berthing. I actually loved my job but that is another story. Maybe it did just suck but thats my experience.

If you are a JO you live in a stateroom with 3 other officers. Nice bed, lots of storage space, computers in your room. You use officer only washers and dryers and bathrooms.

I lived in forward Ops berthing. 55 men share 3 showers and 4 toilets.
halfway through deployment 2 showers broke and 2 toilets broke. We didnt have parts to fix them either so they stayed broke for months.
So 55 men shared 1 shower, which only had cold water cause the boilers were fucked up, and 2 toilets. Not to mention the fact we had coffin racks which if youve never seen you should google a pic. You sleep on a 1inch thick, piss stained mattress thats older than you are and have minimal space for storage at best.
This rabbit hole only gets deeper.
>>
>>30289294
>You sleep on a 1inch thick, piss stained mattress thats older than you are and have minimal space for storage at best.
>piss stained

It's not just piss, man.
>>
>>30289325
Trust me i know. People jakc off all the time. You just pull your curtain closed and go to town. Also there is some shit as well. When we were in dry dock and had all the mattresses pilled up in enginering berthing we'd catch the filthy yard birds pissing on them and occasionally shitting on them. They would also shit in bags and toss it into lockers. Sucked at the time but its pretty funny in retrospect. Leaving thread for a few hours ill be back to share some more stories in a while.
>>
What do 35M's do when they're not deployed? Can you volunteer to deploy to Afghanistan/Iraq or are you forced to follow your unit/
>>
>>30289408
They are treated as warm bodies, a fill in for other open jobs. Most unit commanders don't know how to utilize HUMINT, so you'll find a lot of Mikes doing motorpool, inventory check, clerical work, sucking the commandant's dick, etc.
>>
>>30289463
That sucks. Can people volunteer to deploy?
>>
>>30289408

You can always try to volunteer for deployments, but they're pretty rare right now and everyone wants to go so your odds aren't good.

Unfortunately, 35M is probably the worst 35-series to be if you aren't deploying. They're really the only ones who have to be deployed to be useful.
>>
>>30289514
I can speak Dari and Pashto at a 3/3 level, would I get preference for a deployment to Afghanistan or would I have to wait in line just like everybody else?
>>
>>30289536

That really depends on too many factors that you don't have control over. There isn't some giant list you get your name on, most "volunteer" deployments are something you hear about through networking with your buddies. Your unit or another unit at your post is deploying a small team and they need X number of Joes at Y rank.

A good language score could potentially mean you beat someone else out on going, but you'd have to be in a situation where you knew about a deployment and were being considered first.
>>
>>30289617
Interesting. Thanks.
>>
I get on the plane to basic (Leonard Wood) in 5 days anons. Wish me luck
>>
File: vI4D7E3.jpg (118 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
vI4D7E3.jpg
118 KB, 960x720
>women in the military

why
>>
>>30291320

This is some yummy bait, lemme take a bite.

I haven't rucked in an official capacity in about three years. On the other hand, for the mission we actually work my technical mentor is a female soldier. She's a wizard with software and it's directly led to our team saving lives and killing bad guys. So, frankly, she's been more valuable to the military than about 90 % of do-nothing combat arms dudes circlejerking in garrison.
>>
>>30289408
>What do 35M's do when they're not deployed?

Bullshit taskings.

>>30289617
>There isn't some giant list you get your name on

There is a list, it's called WIAS, and it's the craziest excel spreadsheet you've ever seen.
>>
>>30265583
Rangers during GWOT but they're not doing shit now.
Maybe by the time the economy collapses again they'll be hitting targets.
>>
>>30291437
>I'll take "Shit that never happened" for 500, Mr. Trebeck.
Even if it did happen, there's nothing that she did that an equally competent male soldier couldn't do.
>>
>>30291437
>This is some yummy bait, lemme take a bite
Its not bait at all, women are trash and shouldnt be in the military at all let alone in a combat capacity.
>>
Us navy checking in, answering questions for the next hour or so.
>>
>>30291543

Believe whatever you want, I'd already be out of the military and making bank if I was half the programmer she is. I hope the fact that she does more for this country than most men ever will makes your bitter tears all the more delicious. Even if we only get a few like her by allowing females in the military, it's worth it, and mission is better off for it.
>>
>>30291741
rating? subs?
>>
>>30291762
Done subs. We'll talk more about rating later. Are you the same guy I answered some subs questions for the other night?
>>
>>30291775
probably
>>
>>30291783
Alright cool. Thought of any more questions?
>>
>>30291791
Should I enlist with a degree? or go carrier?
or pray for another war and join the marines
>>
>>30291809
>enlist with a degree
That's up to you man. You'll see some short term benefits (coming in as an e3) but in the long run it wont do you much good. Unless you later decide to go officer, then it'll be easier to get picked up if you already have one.
>go carrier
I have NO idea what a carriers like, except for what my dad told me from the 90s. That said, surface is attractive. I guess it just really boils down to what you like. Have you chosen a rate to pursue yet?
>>
>>30291809
One more tidbit of advice on the degree. If you're looking at a scholarship offer, TAKE IT. Navy doesn't like to pay for your college while you're in, so TA looks nice but is hard to get, so if you don't find a way to get a degree now you may have to wait several years or just until youre out before you can actually pursue a degree.
>>
>>30291852
I was looking at SWO-nuke, since fuck subs, it just seems so awful. maybe do 7 years if they let me to get that shore doody, go to med school and come back with that HSPS shit
>>
>>30291752
Why are you whiteknighting so hard? She isnt going to fuck you you cuck so give it a rest.
Lets pretend what you are saying is true, do you realize how rare that is. Maybe shes a 1 in 10. Letting women in the military is like eating 9 pieces of shit to get 1 apple. It just isnt worth it.
>>30291809
thats too many random options man, you gotta narrow it down. Btw carriers are trash, you want to be on a cruiser or destroyer.
>>30291874
>TA looks nice but is hard to get
Story? I knew tons of people using TA to take classes while i was in. Given they couldnt from day 1 of course but at about 3 years in they had there feet wet and were taking classes no problem.
>>
>>30291883
So you're going to go nuke, then medical? Alright.
What seems so bad about subs? Keep in mind that SWOs get shit on pretty regularly too. Especially the butter bars and JGs.
>>30291899
At my current command the requirements for TA are as follows:
>warfare qualified
>2 years at command
>good-high on last 2 prts
>reccomendation from your chain
>eligibility to advance
And THEN there's a wait list.
It's just so volatile that it seems like a huge climb. Keep in mind that about "3 years in" is almost out for most rates. That's why I told the other anon he might have to wait till he's out, I just assume one term when I'm talking to the guys here.
>>
>>30291950
>And THEN there's a wait list.
Damn what fucking command are you at? But even so most of those requirements arent that bad. That all makes sense to me and if you dont meet those quals you are most likely a piece of shit.

>I just assume one term when I'm talking to the guys here.
I guess that makes sense, i assumed he was thinking of staying in. You could do a sea tour then take an easy shore tour and use TA during that time and save up even more money. Just make sure you get your associates and get out with a GI Bill. You could finish up your bachelors and have some bill left over easily to work on a masters if you want. I think in a perfect world thats the best way to do it but thats just me. Given i did get out after 4 myself.
>>
>>30292056
So yes, most of those requirements fall within "just do your fucking job"
But you know how sailors are.

And yeah, that's if your sea/shore rotation doesnt get fucked. I'm just giving the worst case scenarios here. Probably about to tap into my GI Bill soon myself, am excite.
>>
>>30291950
i got my degree already anyway. I got rejected for regular SWO, I definitely don't want to do aviation since I'm afraid of heights and flying in a plane, which is a shame since I like the planes themselves, intel is way too hard to get in from OCS, and I like the idea of learning nuke shit, so it doesn't seem like a bad path.

the sub dudes looked cramped, slept under a damn ticking torpedo, people were overworked for blood monies, nosleep ever, watch, you're stuck underwater in a metal tube cut off for around a month-3 months, being in port sucks ass too. It's just not for me I think anyway
>>
>>30291899
I'm happily married, bruh, but I can recognize an asset to mission when I see one. Pointless sexism fucks over mission and gets guys killed. Doesn't matter what they've got between their legs if they do good work.
>>
>>30292119
For the record, sub officers will never sleep under a torpedo. For all their getting shit on they do get better berthing situations. So you've officially decided to go in as an officer then?
>>
>>30292119
>ticking torpedo
As a former MMW, aka torpedoman I can assure you that torpedoes do not tick.

Also when you beat off please do not jizz on the torpedoes.
>>
>>30292124
>Pointless sexism
Excepts its not pointless. Women are weaker than men, shorter than men, weigh less than men and have less muscle mass than men. Even if you arent in a very "hands on rate/mos" chances are you still have to move stuff on occasion and women usually cant/wont do it and the men have to pick up the slack. Also women get pregnant to get out of deployements and it fucks there division over. On my 2nd deployement 3 girls got pregnant during it and im not even joking and a 4th said she was depressed and got taken off the deployment.

Around military women never relax.

>>30292113
Gotcha, what cmmand you at? Rate?
>>
>>30292199
Too late, I've marked my territory. That's what you get when the TMOW won't shut up so I can sleep.
>>
>>30292223
Ct type down in Georgia.
>>
>>30292223
None of those things actually matter in my job, so I don't give a fuck. She's a mission asset. You want her gone? You want to fuck my team over and get people killed. That means it's pointless sexism.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.