[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EMT In California. Considering keeping my glock 19 in my gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_0593.png (555 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0593.png
555 KB, 800x533
EMT In California. Considering keeping my glock 19 in my gear bag at work. I work in really shitty areas but i dont plan to use it on calls or responding to emergencies like some ricky rescue operat0r, but incase shtf like an active shooter. please tell me this is not a good idea.
>>
>>30259292
its a terrible fucking idea bro. 1. Emts aren't supposed to be going into any scene that isn't safe. Thats why you have cop bros go in first and make scene safe. 2. You get caught carrying a handgun, prepare your anus to be raped daily when you get put in jail for 2-5 years.

> Consider carrying a body armor, not illegal to buy/ carry body armor. Yet.
>>
>>30259292
Does your employer allow it?
I know mine doesnt and if he found out i'd get fired on the spot.
Can you lock it away securely?
If your workplace is in a shitty area there's always the chance of someone breaking into the place looking for drugs and shit.
A locker with a little padlock is not going to cut it.
And if you have to go to a location with an active shooter, police should be there way before you, meaning that your glock isnt going to make the difference.
>>
>>30259292
why wouldnt you just keep it on your belt where you can reach it, like a normal person?
>>
File: me.jpg (15 KB, 210x263) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
15 KB, 210x263
>>30259292
>EMT In California
Ehh.. don't brag, wimpy McWimperston. Come back when you're a paramedic.
>>
>>30259319
This.
What the fuck are you thinking. If there's a shooter you drive the fuck away and wait for cops, but they'll probably be there anyway. EMTs aren't cops, stick to what you do.
I dont know what they teach you but the first step to the primary survey is dangers, nigga. Paramedic safety comes first. Don't go anywhere near a scene that could even POTENTIALLY become unsafe.
>>
>>30259319
>> Consider carrying a body armor, not illegal to buy/ carry body armor. Yet.
This.
I sucks to work in one of those, especially when you get to some shitty hot apartment for a reanimation, but if you're so afraid of getting shot, then you're going to have to live with that.
>>
>>30259327
Do you even know what an EMT is?
>>
>>30259339
yes...and?
>>
>>30259350
Then you should understand why he couldnt possibly carry a gun while working.
>>
>>30259354
i'm confused by this assertion...he clearly stated in his OP that he felt threatened by certain situations. if he is so worried, he could make the room on his belt for a glock
>>
>>30259326
No they wouldnt allow it, but if we respond to an active shooter or barricaded suspect, Police will do all the work. If my ambulance crew gets assaulted or we get robbed (Google Hall Ambulance or Care Ambulance) at gun point then fuck the company and my license my life comes first.
>>
>>30259328
Going to medic school in Janurary 2017
>>
EMTs are authorized to carry firearms in 4 US states
-Georgia
-Utah
-Kentucky
-Virginia

More to come
>>
>>30259362
who cares if your employer allows it, you arent using it in an official capacity for law enforcement. this is purely for your personal self defense if your life gets threatened. the bill of rights guarantees every american the right to keep and bear arms
>>
>>30259292
Your job is to give life not take it.
>>
>>30259363
Good luck, fellow lifesaver.
>>
>>30259371
us citizens are authorized to carry firearms in all of america
source: bill of rights
>>
>>30259371
>More to come
If I had a nickel every time I said that to a chick
>>
>>30259359
First off, its not allowed.
You will get fired for it 100% guaranteed.
Most people get nervous when they see a gun on someone other than a cop, which makes deescalation, which is something you do way too much nowadays, a lot harder.
And even if it were allowed, you're required to get up close to someone and work with them and some of those people arent exactly mentally sound.
I for one wouldnt want some lunatic to try to go for my gun while i sew him up.
>>
>>30259371
Hell yeah, Kentucky pulls through again.
>>
>>30259385
>>30259385
unconstitutional laws dont apply, you are 100% allowed as prescribed by the founding documents of our country

you bring up some good points about the type of people you deal with regularly. your valid concerns about working in close proximity to crazy people should just dictate a better method. concealed inside the waistband. nobody knows its there, including the employer you are cucking for. you get to feel safe everywhere you go, and you wont feel like you are rebelling from your cuck role too hard against your overlords. problem solved!
>>
guys im not planning to draw on patients or psychs/behavioral calls, just in case we get mugged or robbed while on the ambulance, which has happened before (not to me personally).
>>
OP if you have it in your ambulance OK. Don't try and work on someone while you have it on your person for the simple reason that you're focusing on them and their body, not what their crazy friend is doing.
>>
File: RugerLCP2[1].jpg (25 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
RugerLCP2[1].jpg
25 KB, 800x600
>>30259385
>>
>>30259484
Im thinking about buying a colt mustang, similar shape and size with .380
>>
>>30259484
I've held an LCP before and that is either photoshopped or the fucking Mountain himself holding that.
>>
>>30259292
A soft vest will solve your problems.
Choose ballistic or stab proof based on the likelihood of GSW calls.

As others have said, police have to contain the scene first. Having a firearm on you is of little help in your duties. A vest will give you the chance of running away or prevent a friendly fire casualty. There are more and more light, manouverable and breathable vests on the market than ever before.
>>
>>30259383
>Does your employer allow it?
>I know mine doesnt and if he found out i'd get fired on the spot.
>Can you lock it away securely?
>If your workplace is in a shitty area there's always the chance of someone breaking into the place looking for drugs and shit.
>A locker with a little padlock is not going to cut it.
>And if you have to go to a location with an active shooter, police should be there way before you, meaning that yo
There are a few states that forgot that.
>>
>>30259537
Not planning to take it to calls, only if we get mugged on the job
>>
File: Spooge-Skank-Unit-560.jpg (47 KB, 560x330) Image search: [Google]
Spooge-Skank-Unit-560.jpg
47 KB, 560x330
Is there a chance that you might put your bag down and some tweaker or nigger is going to run off with it? If yes don't put a gun in it.

If you want to carry get something small and CC it on your person.
>>
>>30259383
US citizens are not authorized to carry firearms in certain counties
source: 9th circuit
>>
>>30259561
doest make it any less true. rosa parks broke the law when she sat at the front of the bus, and is lauded for it
>>
>>30259647
remember how women couldnt vote either?
>>
>>30259648
>>30259656
Accept practicing civil disobedience while carrying can land you on the nofun list.
>>
>>30259656
Was that supposed to be an insightful comment?

The judiciary are the arbiters of what is and is not constitutional, and we have a common law system. Unless the SCOTUS takes on the case and rules in some other fashion, then banning both open and concealed carry is a legitimate maneuver.
>>
>>30259362
Aaaayyyy, I used to work at Care
>>
>>30259688
This.
Heller v. DC. only determined the legality of owning a firearm in the home for the purpose of self protection.

CC/O.C is still explicitly decided upon by state legislatures.
>>
>>30259680
Jesus Christ, speak fucking English.
>>
>>30259422
>cuck cuck cuck
Are you going to complain about the dumb wageslaves next?
>>
>>30259292
don't

scene safety
>>
>>30259292
Unless California is different than the rest of the country your dispatchers will not let EMTs anywhere near a site where gunfire has been reported until police have secured the area.
>>
>>30259383
US citizens not authorized to carry guns when they sign a contract saying they will not carry guns.
>>
File: 1310423255.jpg (33 KB, 250x337) Image search: [Google]
1310423255.jpg
33 KB, 250x337
Absolutely shit idea, OP.

I used to do Critical Care EMS, and I still keep my cert up as a cop now. Nevermind the possible legal issues with you having that gun, consider this:

Junkies break into ambulances all the time to get drugs. Do you want them to get into your gear bag and get your gun? I've had my ambulance broken into twice, once while we were on a job, once parked outside the ER.

Emotionally disturbed people can't always be kept under control if they really start wilding out, despite you and your partner's best efforts. I've also had to get the fuck out of my ambulance before trying to control my patient turned into my patient trying to smash my face in. What if you need to bail out in a hurry, or what if they get a hold of your gear bag while you're still in there?

In the earlier part of my EMS career, I ran 911 jobs in the ghetto. We were given hand-me-down Kevlar vests from the town PD, since we had EMTs get shot at in the past there. If you're really concerned, a cheap Level II vest isn't a bad idea - especially one in an external carrier that you can load all your gear onto (just avoid looking like a tacticool tool)

If you're -really- intent on having a firearm, get a CCW and carry it deep concealed in a tuckable holster, but even with this, consider that many hospitals are gun-free zones and that it's illegal in many states to disobey their signs.

You shouldn't be going into dangerous scenes as an EMT anyway, and the chances of you encountering an active shooter are slim to none. If a situation turns dangerous for whatever reason, your radio is your best tool.

Failing that, oxygen tanks are great for hitting aggressive tweakers with if they want to fight. Don't ask me how I know.
>>
>>30259292
As everyone else has stated this is a terrible idea...and like everyone else says don't go into an unsafe scene
I know scenes can become unsafe very quickly that's when you drop everything and leave and let the the cops deal with it

Now as a rural EMT my help can be anywhere from 2 minutes away up to even 20-30 sometimes even an hour away. Just about all of us carry a knife for one reason or another and no one thinks twice about us carrying a knife. Also 02 tanks make great self defense objects
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.