[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, lets get a hunting weapons general going. Is the Howa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: Trail-King-The-Brush-Rifle-8.jpg (300 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Trail-King-The-Brush-Rifle-8.jpg
300 KB, 600x400
Hey /k/, lets get a hunting weapons general going.
Is the Howa hogue a good rifle for north american hunting? If so what is my best bet for a caliber that will be the most versatile without breaking the bank at the range?
>>
>>30254215
Are you talking about the version that comes with a scope, bipod, and 10 round magazine ?
>>
>>30254288
This one
http://www.legacysports.com/hogue-gameking-package
It comes with a scope but no bipod or ten round mag
>>
>>30254215
Howas are great rifles. they're like a Remington 700 only with much better quality control and finishing
>>
>>30254380
Thanks for the input man, I had heard as much, but I wanted to explore other options as well if there are any. Do you have any other recommendations?
>>
>>30254484
Not the other guy but for the price range Howa is about the best you will do, only other thing to do would be to save up your shekels and upgrade to a Tikka T3 or winchester 70, any less of an upgrade and the money isnt well spent IMO
>>
>>30254654
Is the t3 markedly better than the howa?
>>
>>30254670
Different anon here, but the Howa is perfectly serviceable as a hunting rifle, the Tikkas simply run smoother and are finished very well. Accuracy as always depends on what you are washing through them, some of the Tikkas have slow twists for the caliber and may be limited to lighter loads.

My hunting rifle is an older 700 ADL I paid $300 for in a synthetic stock and deer don't care if bullets come from it or a $6k Blaser R8.
>>
File: image.jpg (219 KB, 495x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
219 KB, 495x371
>>30254215
I would suggest a good 12 gauge, with a rifled slug barrel and a smooth bore barrel. You can take virtually any game in North America, from squirrels to bear. At a very economic nominal price too.
>>
>>30254843
A shot gun will definitely be next, but I want a nice rifle for my adventures. That being said what is the best north american round? I have my eyes set on .308
>>
>>30254933
.308 is fine for north america, but 30-06 gets you a bit more ass and flatter trajectory with light pills as well as the ability to competently push 200gr for hunts with more standoff or meatier targets.
>>
>>30254215
Howa makes great budget rifles. I own a Weatherby Vanguard S2 which is basically a rebranded Howa 1500 and on a good day I can get roughly 0.8 MOA groups. I would get one for .308 Win and just buy lots of surplus Hirtenberger.
>>
>>30254484

Yes, look at the Tikka's too

I'm an Ausfag, bolt actions are one thing we know our shit with since we can't have semi autos. I can tell you that in Australia, when choosing a bolt action, the vast majority of people will pick a Howa or a Tikka. Weather by vanguards are essentially the same rifles as the Howa's, just a different stock, so that's another option
>>
>>30254670
The Tikka's are known for having incredibly smooth bolts, although the Howa's are known for that too. The tikka may be a little bit better, but they're close enough that you should really just handle both and decide which one you like yourself
>>
Anyone have any experience with bird hunting? Is it fun?
>>
>>30254215

Reload? .308.

Buy? .30-06

Long range capable, plentiful, common, not terribly snowflake-y (certainly less than a .300WM) and plenty of platforms to choose from that are affordable. Can take down pretty much any game in NA in one shot, except maybe some large Bison/ Grizzly/ Moose.
>>
>>30255058
Can confirm - ausfag here that recommended the tikka.
Nothing wrong with a Howa, but the Tikka is just a nicer finish and something that you could be more 'proudp to own, us ausfags dont have many firearm options to be proud of.
I personally got a winchester 70 featherlight 270 and sauer 200 9.3x62 after initially looking at a howa, cos i like pretty things and these guns will probably be passed down to my children one day.

But if you are after a perfectly reliable and accurate deer gun thats more of a tool than a hunting companion the howa will do just fine.
>>
>>30255759
why buy 30-06
>>
>>30256963
If you are paying for factory ammo anyway for a a full caliber rifle, you may as well get the better performing but still plentiful one since the cost for hunting ammo is all going to be about the same.
>>
>>30256976
Is 30-06 really that much better? Does it kick harder?
>>
I've been looking into getting a remington 783 chambered in .308, Only read good things about it. Should I buy it for $320?
>>
File: 308-vs-30-06-288x600.jpg (25 KB, 288x600) Image search: [Google]
308-vs-30-06-288x600.jpg
25 KB, 288x600
>>30257076
It does have more powder capacity, hence its ability to push heavier grain projectiles faster than a .308 can push a lighter one. You gain the benefits of those higher speeds and ballistic coefficients in flatter trajectories and less wind drift.

It will recoil more, but not a significant amount.

>>30257083
At around that price, I like the Ruger Americans. See if you can find one local to check out and compare, Remington's budget focused rifles have never impressed me.
>>
>>30257083
Good deal m8, jump on it
>>
>>30257214
In the bush does that matter? or is the difference noticed more at the range
>>
>>30257324
I personally like the way 190 and 200gr loads perform in 06, but at "standard" hunting ranges inside of 250y an animal is not going to be any less dead from .308 than it will 30-06
>>
>>30257364
Thanks for all the tips, man. You've been a big help
>>
Whats a good companion rifle?
>>
>>30254215
I was gonna get one but then I saw a video of a guy struggling on working the bolt like a mosin nagant. No new rifles action should be that hard to cycle.
>>
>>30254985
second this, Weatherby vanguard is a underrated rifle imo. im pretty sure most of the rifles are guaranteed sub moa. for north american hunting, so with 30-06 over .308, can have heavier rounds for larger animals
>>
Op here, why do all the shitty meme threads get bumped till auto sage, but threads like these about weapons that aren't tacticool or slavshit die at less than 50 posts?
>inb4 hurrr u mad bro?
yes I'm mad
>>
>>30258496
There's more room for discussion in meme threads. Hunting with commercially produced bolt guns and ammo is a lot more straightforward unless someone brings scout rifles into it.
>>
What's the best all around shotgat for birds
>>
>>30258588
Mossberg 590, older Remington Wingmaster, or some crazy tacticool semi auto with a long barrel.
>>
>>30258581
Oh speaking of scout rifles, I saw a brand new ruger on sale today at bass pro for 400 bucks on clearance, good deal? Ive wanted one for a while
>>
>>30258043
Howa's are known for having one of the nicest, smoothest actions out there. whatever one you saw definitely isn't normal
>>
>>30258613
Shit yes. MSRP for the GSR is $1100-1200.
>>
>>30258631
Alright, looks like I'm getting a new rifle as a fathers day present.
>tfw wife is a bitch and I'm going to have to hide the purchase from her
>>
>>30258631
Is it good for hunting?
>>
How good is 7mm-08?
what about 7mm Rem Mag?
Are either of those a good sub for 308? If they cost more are they worth it?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.