[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom Rifle Barrels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: bullet tubes.jpg (179 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
bullet tubes.jpg
179 KB, 700x467
So I'm a gunsmithing student, and I will need to build a custom rifle to graduate.
As I will need a barrel for it, I'm currently looking at different barrel manufacturers, and I just would like to know what /k/ thinks of different barrel manufacturers, as all I've been told so far is to stay away from E.R. Shaw.

Also I get a hefty discount on Shilen barrels thru my school. Are they good? Anyone have experience with them?
Any other manufacturers to look at?
>>
You must be going to a really fucking shitty gunsmithing school if you still need to ask /k/ advice.
>>
>>30252550
How the hell would I know, you are the gunsmith guy.
>>
>>30252550
Shillen is fine especially as a first time blank for you to cut your teeth on. Reamed and crowned well with a good load they are capable of shooting better than most people who end up buying any rifles you make for them can.

If you want to build something special for your graduation rifle then you may consider a Bartlein, Brux, or Kreiger blank.
>>
>shillen
You should engrave a jew caricature on it.
>>
Wasn't there a guy on here who made a .50bmg single shot rifle for his gunsmith grad class? Thing was sent too.

Op how much did your course cost you, and how long was it? Did they teach all the metalworking and machining skills?
>>
>>30254759
I'm currently still in the program. I'm just gathering the materials for the grad project cuz sourcing these things takes time, plus shipping and stuff.

The program I'm in is 30 grand, and it's a 16 month course. And 4 of those 16 months is entirely metalworking/machining.
>>
double barrel AR
>>
>>30252550
Contact some small high barrel mfgs, tell them what your doing, where you go to school, might be able to pull a discount.

Brux, rock Creek, and boots obermeyer (he can be kind of a dick, but might have a soft spot for you) come to mind as good places to try.
>>
>>30252550
Pine Tech?
>>
>>30252550
Shilen makes a damn good barrel and the gunsmith discount price makes them pretty much the best option

Krieger gives a discount too, but you're talking way higher price
>>
Shilen makes pretty good shit, and they're great people to deal with. Like others have said, there are better blanks out there, but Shilen isn't anything to scoff at.
>>
>>30254992
There really aren't THAT many better ones out there though

Shilen barrels take a lions share of accuracy trophies
>>
>>30255026
Actually bartlein does
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/21/precision-rifle-barrels/
>>
>>30252550
My dad is 58, and has been collecting guns since he was 14. He thinks the world of Shillen, Krieger, and Shaw. I know it doesn't mean much to the internet, but my dad knows his shit.
>>
>>30255109
>PRS

You realize that style of competition has nothing to do with benchrest, right?
Benchrest is the only method of accurately determining the best barrel
>>
>>30255109
>Proof research on the list

fuck those cunts

I don't believe this to be an accurate descriptor of the best barrel by any means

This is correlation at best
>>
>>30254845
$30000? Fuck man, literally cheaper to get your associates in Manufacturing Tech then get training in gunsmithing literally anywhere else. Like, a good gunsmith.
>>
File: interruptedtwist3.jpg (50 KB, 800x221) Image search: [Google]
interruptedtwist3.jpg
50 KB, 800x221
>>30252550
>>
Enjoy installing picatinny accessories and cleaning Fudd guns for the rest of your career OP.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.