[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best .223/5.56 round for hogs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (312 KB, 1134x756) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
312 KB, 1134x756
Hey guys,
Taking the weekend off and making a trip down to my grandparents ranch (they are going out of town and need someone to watch the place).
My gramps is encouraging me to remove some of the invasive hogs that have invaded the area, they travel in groups of 20 or so according to him so they will be easy to find.

The problem is the biggest caliber I own is a rifle chambered in .223/5.56 with 16" barrel and 1:9 twist.
I have 3 ammo types to choose from;
55gr M193 5.56 marked
62gr M855 5.56 marked
62gr FMJ-BT .223 marked (not green tip)

Apparently they spook any closer than 50 yards or so, not sure if that would matter. What would be the best round to ensure a clean kill?

Also, any infographics or advice on skinning/dressing down these pigs would be appreciated!
>>
Just hit them right below the ear.
>>
If it's a male hog, cut the balls off as soon as possible if you plan on eating it.
>>
>>30229972
> corn
> several lbs if tannerite
> any .223 or 5.56 round
> clean kill
> properly skinned and dressed carcasses
>>
>>30229972
Hello, fellow AR hunter. I strongly advocate M855. I used 62gr in my Colt AR Sporter to drop a 180lb buck in mid-east Michigan. One shot did the trick. Heart/lungs. Be sure you zero your weapon.
>>
I have yet to get out to his land to try my rifle, but my cousin swears by any of the 62gr+ bonded spire points like Federal Fusion, Wichester Powerpoint, or Speer gold dot. He also likes the tougher monolithic bullets like GMX or TSX, but those are kind of expensive.
>>
>>30230347

Shit just realized you're only options are FMJ. Good luck with those. PIck the heaviest one, and aim for the spine 2" behind the ear.

Not sure how far you'll have to track a blood trail, if there is one, with a lung shot from .223 FMJ. I dunno, bring your dog or something.
>>
>ensure a clean kill
>on a hog with 5.56
.308 or .30-06.
>>
File: IMAG0195.jpg (59 KB, 782x950) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0195.jpg
59 KB, 782x950
>>30230066
Awesome, now I have somewhere to aim other than center of mass. Thanks!
>>30230077
That's the plan, good tip, any idea on how I might easily identify males vs females?
>>30230114
>tfw this is a real thing
>dat spray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_tmHeI66k
>>30230196
Close(ish) but it's actually a C93, I am a skeleton man. Good shit though thanks, loading a 20 rounder with green tip as I think of replies. Rifle is probably as zeroed as it's going to get, pic related was with 9x32 optic at 200 yds.
>>
>>30229972
Where you at? Can I come along?
>>
.458 SOCOM has always done pretty good for hog hunting, it's expensive and low capacity, so use what you're comfortable with.
>>
>>30230377
Okay will do, going with the green tip so hopefully it works out well, I don't want the animal to suffer needlessly but these things are outbreeding the cattle and tearing up the pastures.
>>30230380
There's always one.. My next purchase is probably going to be some PTR variant tho, so I will use that when I have the option.
>>30230407
Based AZ, where else?
>>
>>30230567
Read the entire OP before suggesting shit Fuckwad McNiggerLover
>>
>>30230594

What are the chances of you picking up 2 boxes of hunting ammo and zero-ing with it. Any reliably expanding bullet is going to bleed out much faster than a FMJ.

I know the fudds frown on using match ammo, but I'd trust a heavy open tip match round over 55gr or 62gr FMJ.
>>
>>30230594
California :(
>>
>>30230077
Why?
>>
File: IMAG0198.jpg (203 KB, 1606x908) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0198.jpg
203 KB, 1606x908
>>30230692
Actually as I was packing I remembered I had this stuff, accidentally bought it for ~1.50 a round so I haven't shot any lol. The chamber fluting tends to be picky about thin brass, it actually cuts completely through some of the federal crap, so I have no idea how well it will cycle but it looks mean.
>>30230704
I am so, so sorry :(
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.