[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1460785891407.jpg (353 KB, 2418x1622) Image search: [Google]
1460785891407.jpg
353 KB, 2418x1622
I am new to guns and this question is incredibly stupid but:
I see that companies sell replacement barrels and I hear of barrels being "shot out" or losing their rifling; does this mean I have to replace my barrels after a certain amount of rounds I put through it? Or is only need replacing when you completely abuse your rifle by mag dumping thousands of rounds through it?
How does one replace a barrel on an AK if it is pinned(?), a gunsmith?
How about pistols and suppressors?
>>
You're talking about ten thousand rounds to be conservative.

You'd have to shoot thousands of dollars worth of ammo through it. Mag dumping non-stop on full-auto fire will eventual ruin any firearm that isn't water cooled.
>>
>>30222433
a barrel is shot out and in need of replacement when the owner decides it is
one person might consider a 1 moa barrel to be shot out when it becomes 2 moa meanwhile another wont care when their 2 moa gun becomes 6 moa and the only reason he noticed the loss in accuracy is it started key holing

round count isnt a good indicator too many factors influence it
>>
>>30222472
>>30222474
Thanks guys. So I shouldn't worry about my WASR, I only shoot 400~ rounds a month and I've had it for a year now.
>>
>>30222433
>does this mean I have to replace my barrels after a certain amount of rounds I put through it?
In a sense, yes. >>30222474 Raises good points about the definition of shot out.
Some firearms are more cost effective to replace entirely than bothering to rebarrel.
>completely abuse your rifle by mag dumping thousands of rounds through it?
This will drastically accelerate the process, especially for barrels that lack nitride/chrome bores. Stainless or blued steel generally have shorter service lives than those harder bores but are easier to machine more precisely. Using ammunition with hard jacketing will also accelerate this process, bi-metal jacketing for example. Some cartridges are also just generally harder on barrels, this is commonly known as overbore, 243 win would be one example of a cartridge regarded as overbore. An overbore cartridge can shoot out a barrel in under 1000 rounds.
As stated 10,000 rounds is a fairly conservative estimate of barrel life. If you're just doing simple target practice with typical ammunition in a barrel friendly cartridge that burns clean and has a jacket of normal hardness it would not be unusual to see reasonable accuracy up to two or three times that round count.
Generally when a barrel is starting to wear out, you will simply see more fliers separating themselves from the group and they will occur more frequently as the process goes on.

To replace a barrel on an AK you would have to knock out the pin, press it out of the trunnion, remove the hardware (remove pins and press them off), install the hardware on a new barrel (press and pin), press the barrel back into the trunnion, headspace, drill and pin. I may have omitted something but you get the idea.
Gunsmithing and parts cost generally makes this prohibitively expensive versus buying a new one unless you have an uncommon or valuable rifle, some type of ban legislation prohibiting the purchase of a new one, or have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself.
>>
>>30222433
I'm looking into buying either a Beretta A400 or a Benelli legacy sport. I would assume the Benelli handles pretty much like any other semi auto shotgun, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the recoil-dampening features of the A400. I'll be getting either gun in 20 gauge.
>>
Can I purchase a suppressor without having the firearm I want to put it on at the time? I plan on building an sbr and pinning a suppressor on to make it legal length so I only have to deal with suppressor tax stamp. It would be my first nfa item and might be easier to purchase now, even though I don't have the gun assembled.
>>
Best gun in 454 Casull?
>>
>>30222699
Is 20ga recoil a concern for some reason?
>>30223434
>Can I purchase a suppressor without having the firearm I want to put it on at the time?
Yes.
You would need to purchase the suppressor and pin it to the barrel in order to get it up to legal length, then assemble the rifle if you intend to avoid the SBR stamp.
Bear in mind pinning a suppressor usually voids the warranty and may complicate servicing if they manufacturer is willing to service it at all at that point. This is a point you should definitely do research on before you commit to a purchase.
>>
>>30223707
>Is 20ga recoil a concern for some reason?
Women, children, and new shooters, I already have a nice 12g over under for myself.
>>
Is there anywhere in Texas (near DFW) where you're allowed to go innawoods and shoot?
>>
>>30223638
Big horn armory
http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/big-horn-armory-products/model-90-rifle-460-sandw-model-90a-454-casull-5/
>>
File: 20160609_184621.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160609_184621.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I'm cutting some custom foam for my new Glock 40. I guess I plan to take it to the range every now and again. Should I cut holes just for the pistol and mags or try and squeeze all the accoutrements that game with it into this thing?
>>
>>30223707
Bra k you very much for the information. I was not aware about the warranty being voided. I will do more research.
>>
>>30222433

>How does one replace a barrel on an AK if it is pinned

With frustrating difficulty, that's how.

It's one of the detriments of owning an AK compared to an AR.
>>
File: 1447963640400.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1447963640400.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Best way to remove Cosmoline off of Surplus magazines?
>>
Are there any good left handed single snap holsters? Preferably kydex. I need it for work but the cert class requires snap holsters. I found this so far I like that it can be iwb and owb.
Flatline Thumb Break - Glock 19/23/32 - 1.5" Flatline Standard - Left - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YYV8CME/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_ASLwxbB4BR0GY
>>
>>30223707
What is pinning a suppressor?
>>
>>30225895
prop them up in an oven tray and heat them till the cosmoline liquifies and runs out of them.
Dont overdo it tho.
>>
>>30225895
Boiling is an option but use sacrificial cookware and do it outside if possible.
>>30225996
One method of "permanently" attaching it to the barrel in such a manner that it is not readily removable and the BATFE recognizes it as part of the barrel, thus increasing its length in the eyes of the law.
Drilling a hole into the threads, inserting a pin into the newly drilled hole, then welding it shut. Also called blind pinning.
IIRC silver solder may also be an option or simply welding the threads but it's much more of a pain in the ass to undo if you ever want to replace it.
>>
>>30225996
5 dollar jug of mineral spirits and a disposable tupperware container.

Disassemble magazine and soak for 24 hours. Rinse with water and dry. Reassemble. Good as new.
>>
>>30226062
>>30226086
So did they base these laws based on surveys of tactical battles or do they just go around making shit up?

I heard in Canada they basically went through a catalog and drew a line through anything mean looking.
>>
>>30226062

Do I have to dissemble them if I boil them?
>>
>>30226316
Yeah this shit seems pretty arbitrary.
>>
>>30226397
No. But, it's summer in the northern hemisphere, so you can just put the parts inna black trash bag with many rags and leave the bag in the rear window of a car or on your porch in direct sunlight. (Tape the bag shut so it is completely airtight.) Open the bag in the backyard. The Sun will heat the parts up enough to cook off the cosmoline but not up to any temp which will damage parts, and you don't ever run the risk of consuming cosmoline spaghetti.
>>
>>30222433
I'm not 21, but if I order a pistol to an FFL, and have my father pick it up.. Would that be okay? Or even allowed?

I know for some gifts and shit family gets a pass.
>>
>>30226817
Federally, you can't order and have someone else pick up. You can't even give your money to your dad to buy for you, as that is still considered a straw purchase. Family members have been fucked by the gov before if money changed hands.

Your dad, with his own money, can order a handgun and gift it too you, as long as he fills out the 4473 form correctly and truthfully. This also depends if the state allows gifting, some require even family transfers to go through dealers.
>>
>>30226857
I gotcha. Thanks man.

I'm moving soon and really want a pistol for this cross country drive
>>
>>30226815
Cosmoline pizza is not bad.
>>
File: APG-77-1A.jpg (104 KB, 512x417) Image search: [Google]
APG-77-1A.jpg
104 KB, 512x417
I recall reading that if (for example) an F-22 fires up it's AN/APG-77 and starts actively scanning, an enemy passive radar will not be able to detect the F-22 radiating. Is this true? Or can a passive radar detect an active F-22 radar?
>>
I bought a NiB 1911 that seemed to work fine and not have this problem, then I disassembled it fully so as to learn the gun, reassembled it, and now if I pull the trigger while it's on safe, the hammer falls to what I believe is the half cock position.

Anybody have any idea what caused this specifically? Is it damage, or did I just put it back together wrong? Thanks.
>>
>>30227283
I just did some further review, and it looks like it falls only a small amount from the back position, rather than all the way to the half cock position.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160610-222617.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160610-222617.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
Can someone please identify what model of sig this is?
>>
Recently graduated high school, plan on going to college for mechanical engineering. What other courses/ certificates would I need to go I to gunsmithing? I have an interest in historical firearms and would die happy if I spent my life working on them. Could any gunsmiths red pill me on the process?
>>
>>30227517
Looks like Sig 220 supermatch or elite.
>>
>>30227519
Not a gunsmith, but making a living at the shop owner level is frustrating, involves long hours, and is crap pay. Maybe look into hiring on with a firearm company during your engineering studies?
>>
>>30227608
Thanks for the insight. Is there any specific branch of engineering I should focus on?
>>
>>30222433
Why is that briefing room superdusty?

Even the projector is fugged
>>
>>30227640
the desert is dirty.
>>
>>30227620
Prescott, AZ
Design Engineer - (Hide Details)
Organization:
Sturm Ruger & Co., Inc. a highly successful, high-end manufacturer of sporting rifles, shotguns and handguns.

Scope of the Position:
Reporting to a Senior Engineer or Operations Manager, this position has product design responsibility for the location's new products, from concept to production.

Principal Accountabilities:
• Provide solutions to product specifications developed using our VOC (Voice of Customer) process. Create or modify existing gun designs using 2D and 3D CAD drafting tools (Solid Works). The candidate should have experience with programming CNC machines (CAMWORKS or equivalent). The projects require developing the design of the assembly, the working mechanisms and the corresponding detail components for the firearm as well as their material selection. Knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a plus.
• The ability to work in a team environment with the various other departments needed to bring a new product to launch.
• Develops the test plans, tests and evaluates functions and performance of product prototypes.
• Develops and executes project plans/schedules.
• Provides technical support to internal and external customers.

Background/Experience:
Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent is necessary. An advanced degree is a plus.
A minimum of five to seven years of product design and development engineering experience, preferably in a firearms manufacturing environment.
Demonstrated skills in 3D/Solid Modeling using SolidWorks, Pro E or a compatible CAD system.
Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerances (ANSI Y14.5) is necessary.

http://www.ruger.com/corporate/employment.html#j-002

The best way to figure out what you need is to check the actual job postings for said position.
>>
>>30222433

Anyone have a recommendation for a .223 bolt-action rifle and a decent optic for it?

Looking to shoot ~400m with it.
>>
>>30227965
Damn, thanks for the info. Gonna look around the northeast.
>>
>>30226861
You better be careful as fuck driving cross country with a pistol, especially being under 21. Many cops don't know laws very well and some states have shitty laws, so do your homework.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.