[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>accidently stand near friend without ear muffs on >ringing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12
File: 32543246234.png (677 KB, 764x764) Image search: [Google]
32543246234.png
677 KB, 764x764
>accidently stand near friend without ear muffs on
>ringing for 3 minutes
>no possible way to cover ears if I need to protect myself in a life or death situation

So does everyone just have an ear hymen that you have to smash and you get used to 9-10mm's or are you permanently fucking up your hearing every time you fire without protection?
>>
Don't shoot a fucking gun without earpro. It will permanently damage your hearing.
>>
>>30221207
the second one
>>
i have had a permanent ringing in my ears for 4 months thanks earbuds. Thankfully its gone down in volume and im praying to the old gods and the new it will return to normal within a year.
>>
If it's a life or death situation you won't really hear the gunshot anyway. Otherwise don't shoot without earpro.
>>
>>30221207
MAWP
>>
You're not a soldier in a conflict zone.
Outside of living in a real shitty area or horrible luck in life, you're not going to be discharging a firearm in defense of life or limb on a frequent basis.

If the rare chance you are in the situation where you are inside, gun drawn, and really needing to use it with no time or ability to put on ear pros, hearing damage is nothing compared to dying, violent psychological trauma, or being in critical condition in a hospital.
>>
File: 1447442537201.jpg (58 KB, 560x571) Image search: [Google]
1447442537201.jpg
58 KB, 560x571
Anyone have suggestions for those electronic ear muffs that cancel out gunshots but not other noises?

I'm a paranoid faggot that is retarded enough to believe ill get in a gun fight at some point in my life and would like some ear pro that will protect my ears but not fuck up my situational awareness.
>>
>>30221522
You're gonna be a hit with the ladies walking around with those on.
>>
>>30221549
Obviously not in every day public, if that happens ill just take my EEEEEE and hope for the best.

Talking about home defense and anything of the sort
>>
>>30221522
I have the Howard whatever impact ones, I wouldn't trust them though in a HD situation
>>
>>30221522
Electric ear muffs are regular muffs with a microphone built in, it's basically feeding through anything below a certain noise level (with some models where you can crank up what the microphone loops back to you) It either cuts off or compresses sound from the microphone the moment the circuit detects loud noise.
Suffice to say, unless you like carrying big headphones everywhere, you can do it with models that also have a port for radio/MP3 player/etc.

If you want something smaller, there are electronic ear buds that do the same, they're still noticeable, but much smaller than the muffs. But expect to pay a lot of money for the good ones.
>>
>>30221207
Use .22
>>
>>30221693
>.22 doesn't harm your hearing

probably the oldest of fuddlore
>>
>>30221573

Howard Impact is the cheapest and they work well, I have some.

If you want to be a little operator, get peltors. They are slightly better and you can use a radio in them, but they are three times as expensive.
>>
>>30221207
If you have tinnitus you basically deserved it and should remove yourself from the gene pool.
>>
>>30221798
>living a life devoid of loud music, loud motorcycles, loud ATVs, loud trucks, loud jeeps, and loud guns
sounds like you're a boring faggot.
>>
>>30221836
>damaging your hearing forever for a few moments of fun

Nah. Sounds like you're a stupid faggot
>>
File: 10053192.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
10053192.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
>>30221522
howard leight impact sport, cheap, low profile so it doesn't interfere with shooting a rifle, effective
>>
>>30221850
I have gone to a lot of metal shows, I'm no dummy though, I'll wear earpro if the band wants to play excessively loud. It's no different than wearing sunglasses. People choose to be a blind deaf old man just because it's less cool to protect your senses.
>>
>>30221865
I will warn you that these earmuffs do not seal well at the back for everybody.If you are like me and fall victim to this, I recommend wearing a pair of Surefire EP under them. You can probably just forego the earmuffs and just the Surefire EP's if you don't need sound amplification.
>>
File: 2h30rur.jpg (39 KB, 640x692) Image search: [Google]
2h30rur.jpg
39 KB, 640x692
>>30221207
take brass and stuff it in your ears

it's better than nothing if that's all you have
>>
>>30221947
Exactly. I know loud music and all is fun but no amount of fun is worth being deaf at 50
>>
File: 1445536788022.jpg (21 KB, 532x355) Image search: [Google]
1445536788022.jpg
21 KB, 532x355
>>30221968
I've never thought about doing this

Might try it out next time I go shooting. Thanks anon.
>>
father time is going to take the top end of your hearing range *anyway*

for me it was concerts and racing cars.

im just glad i have the hiss in stead of the ringing.
>>
>>30221964
This.

I will NOT wear these without foam plugs. No matter how I adjust, they do not stay seated if I tilt my head slightly.
>>
>>30221207
Ear pro at the range, auditory exclusion can often occur in combat.
>>
File: Mauser wallpaper.jpg (319 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mauser wallpaper.jpg
319 KB, 1920x1080
You will be fine. How do you think people hunt, I use a 30-06 without ear protection and my ears have never bothered me after letting off a couple shots. And rifles are a fuck louder than handguns.
>>
>>30221865
what
>>30221964
said.

I wear foam earplugs under these. They're nice for cutting out the pressure wave from some guy's massive .357 or something, though, and the amplification means I can still hear things just fine even with two sets of earpro on.
>>
>>30221207
If you don't want to do combat like an Arab, you will wear ear protection. Eye pro too.

They say it doesn't bother them, yet they still are the loud noise's bitch, always putting barrel through shoot hole outside building, always fucking wincing and changing their position to avoid the concussive blasts.

Don't be a dirty arab OP, wear ear protection.
>>
>>30222136
>ALLAH DAMNIT ABU HAAJAR
>>
>>30221522
Make your HD gun suppressed subsonic.

For CC, just do subsonic (suppressors are bulky and may not be allowed under a concealed "handgun" license if suppressors are their own "firearms"). Hopefully you'll be outside in this case at least.
>>
>>30221446
>im praying to the old gods and the new it will return to normal within a year.

If it went down in volume that is the best you are going to get. Get used to it, that ringing is for life.

t. oldfag
>>
>>30221520
Yeah but this is also a disadvantage. After that first shot your situation awareness goes to visual only. This scenario will likely be played out at night when hearing is far more important that vision.

What if there are multiple assailants anon? What then?
>>
>>30222831
They can no longer hear either
>>
File: 1463520923335.jpg (44 KB, 552x678) Image search: [Google]
1463520923335.jpg
44 KB, 552x678
>>30221207

Hearing constantly degrades over time with no known way to regrow the specialized hairs in your ear.

/endit
>>
>>30222852
I'm not sure you know how hearing works.
>>
>>30221751
It is bad long term especially indoors, but isn't as immediately earfucking as any more serious round.

OP their is no ear hymen to smash, only half deaf retards telling you it doesn't bother them as much anymore and you need to stop being a pussy (Protip: not being an idiot is not the same as not being a pussy).
>>
>>30222849
How much does the effect vary with distance indoors. What if I shoot the nignog that comes through the front door but there is another one right out front baiting his teammate, does he get temporarily deafened too or am I at a huge disadvantage?
>>
>>30222131
Why not use small earplugs? I was given some rad bands at work and they're fine for popping off a couple shots. They're gel and connected by either a string or a hard plastic horseshoe so they're not as much of a bitch to put in as foam plugs.

I understand you might not want to put them on if you've been motionless for hours sitting on a pile of crunchy leaves or something, but if you can afford to reach up toward your ears for 5 seconds, it's probably worth it.
>>
File: 1452659651288.jpg (67 KB, 770x395) Image search: [Google]
1452659651288.jpg
67 KB, 770x395
>>30221207

> be me, getting a teary-eyed call from my mother in law about her shi-tzu
> little alpo nigger is on his last legs.... blind, deaf, shitting everywhere
> she says that putting him down in a vet's office would be expensive, not to mention scary for the little guy
> I say I can bump him off and bury him for her
> "Oh, would you Anon?!"
> "Sure. No problem."
> wake up and drop kids off at school before heading over to McObesity and picking up some freedom fries
> little alponigger loves freedom fries
> go to mom in law's house and dig hole
> feed shi-tzu some fries to pique his interest
> put fries in hole
> put alponigger in hole
> little guy gets his grub on and catches a round of 7.62x39 right behind the ear
> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> ohfuck.jog
> I hadn't even though of the muzzle blast getting redirected back out of the hole
> mfw at least that little asshole got his freedom fries
>>
>>30222986
>putting the pupper IN the hole you are going to bury him in

Jesus fucking shit anon did he rape and skin some village women during your tour in North Korea? Why not sprinkle bacon bit on the ground and let him dig his own grave? The fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>30222962
>Nignogs kicking in my door
h-hold on, I've got to get my earpro in!
>>
>>30222986
nice copypasta faggot
>>
>>30223042
Shiiiet mane I was just talking about hunting. Nig in house situation seems like you'd be screwed if you shot one, couldn't hear well for a while, then his still well-hearing boy enters the room/house. You'd be just as screwed scrambling from your slumberous stupor to find and equip ear protection, and then still not hearing well unless you have fancy electronic shit.

Better to stay up all night, watching over your waifu with your raifu, fancy ear pro, NVGs, etc.
>>
>>30221207
>not having earpro
play stupid games, win stupid prizes
>>30221522
Yes. I have a nice set of Peltors now, but I keep my old Howard Light Impact Sports and a set of plugs in my glovebox. You really need plugs too, but in an emergency I'll take what I can get.

I'll take this time to shill for getting some custom molded ear plugs with an air hole. It's really great.
>>
>>30223120
>Better to stay up all night, watching over your waifu with your raifu, fancy ear pro, NVGs, etc.
I only sleep during the day, anon. I don't know how long I keep this up.
>>
This reminds me, do soldiers pretty much always use hearing protection throughout their training? Or are there certain training scenarios where they're intentionally exposed to gunshots and/or explosions without any protection?
>>
>>30221968
Cigarette butts are softer and just as readily available if you smoke.
>>
>>30221207
>>30221446
>>30221495
>>30221979

make sure you guys aren't mistaking exploding head syndrome or coil whine from household electronics for hearing damage-related ringing.
>>
>>30223010

He didn't care. There were freedom fries down there. He was in heaven before I sent him to heaven.
>>
>>30221207
When I was 14 and stupid I went shooting with a bunch of dumb rednecks and didn't use ear-pro. Went through quite a few magazines of .40, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and .22 . My ears rang for two days and for at least two months I had hearing loss. To this day I have no idea whether it got better or if I just got used to it, lol.

Moral of the story, wear your ear-pro, you faggot.
>>
Saw Death Grips in a notoriously loud venue

Worse hearing damage than any shooting I've ever done without earpro. My buddy and I even ran through half a spam can of k98 food without earpro.
>>
File: 1420031662280.jpg (537 KB, 4167x4167) Image search: [Google]
1420031662280.jpg
537 KB, 4167x4167
>>30222986
Saved
>>
File: 1446132095626.jpg (64 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
1446132095626.jpg
64 KB, 427x640
>>30221850

>Can't go to clubs, don't want to damage my hearing

>Can't ride a motorcycle, don't want to damage my hearing

>Can't play sports don't want to damage my body

>Can't drink don't want to damage my liver and brain

>Can't have sex don't want to risk the condom ripping and gettng an std

Sounds like you have a real fun life anon. You enjoy your autism and perfect hearing and I'll enjoy being an alpha.
>>
>>30221993
just buy some 5$ howard leight earplugs for shooters you cotton headed ninny muggins
>>
buy a suppressor, problem fuckin solved
>>
>>30222183
some say he rolls to this very day
>>
>>30225060
Enjoy not being able to hear God Emperor Trump as clearly as I can. It's almost like you don't believe in his excellence.
>>
>>30221495
can confirm this, my first time hunting pheasant I was so excited to remove bird I didnt hear the 12GA shot. Second time I went I was alot less excited and noticed a substantial amount of EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, always wear earpro now though.
>>
>>30222849
Good fun.
>>
>>30225380
Confirmed. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>30224873
7 years ago I saw 4 consecutive 'screamcore' "metal" bands
Story of the Year / The Devil Wears Prada / All That Remains / Haste The Day

That night it got so loud even with my fingers in my ears that it sounded like pop rocks inside my eardrums.

Whenever I hear a really loud (sometimes not super loud, like an acoustic room with a bunch of people clapping) the crackling comes back.

I permanently fucked my ears. I can still hear a pin drop but my ears physically hurt just thinking about it still. I was basically deaf for a week afterwards.

That's why I won't go to concerts without earplugs now.

>implying I get out and go to venues
>implying I have a life
>>
>>30223010
>sprinkle bacon bit on the ground
>let him dig his own grave

kek
>>
>>30225060
Implying you couldn't do all the shit you listed involving loud noise with some nice sonic defenders.
>>
File: 1439097507931.jpg (113 KB, 900x1140) Image search: [Google]
1439097507931.jpg
113 KB, 900x1140
Can someone with combat experience tell me how soldiers deal with it?
Obviously in a gunfight I'd imagine that there would be no time to put in ear protection, so I'm just wondering as to how soldiers deal with the fact that they'll be firing 5.56 and .50 cal rounds quite frequently without earpro.
>>
File: Vietnam Coca Cola.jpg (57 KB, 800x548) Image search: [Google]
Vietnam Coca Cola.jpg
57 KB, 800x548
>>30225936
Never been in a gunfight before, but I feel like if you're in a situation where you have to kill or be killed you wouldn't give a shit about hearing loss.
>>
>>30223741
>coil whine
Could not for the life of me figure out why my dog was pacing around and didn't sleep until I noticed a faint eeeee near the outlet where I have a printer in plugged it out. She looked so darn relieved I felt terrible for not noticing sooner.
>>
>been shooting without earpro for 5 years
>still have excellent hearing in a few ways
>have to ask for people to repeat themselves within 50 feet of me but can hear a truck from two miles away and bugs

I think I lost my normal hearing spectrum and all I hear now is weird stuff.
>>
>>30223238
We always use hearing pro.
>>
Its not a stupid idea to carry some ear plugs in your pocket if you cc. Sure, its unlikely you will get the chance to put them in for most situations, but its better to have them anyways. Besides, they're tiny and don't take up any space.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.