[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Type 99 at LGS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 350x144) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 350x144
Hello /k/
Went to my lgs today and they had a type 99 on the rack for 275 USD. Bore looked good, crown looked good, action was solid. Chrysanthemum was removed. Stock has beat up but no More than I'd expect for old milsurp. My only concern was a Crack up near the muzzle on the handguard that had been glued. It felt solid but obviously that's a point of concern. I was thinking about buying it but I hear that ammo is expensive and hard to come by.

Also general Japanese WW2 Thread
>>
Or anyone with a Japanese milsurp please weigh in
>>
>>30219754
Ammo is indeed expensive. That's a fair price for the rifle, based on the condition you've stated. The wood should be fine, though obviously the crack and subsequent repair aren't ideal.
>>
>>30219754
Type 99 and 38, and Nambu 14 and 94 owner here.

You have to buy japsurp with the collecting mindset. Honestly, if you've shot one dubya two bolt action, you've shot them all. Yeah the action might be same, but they're all 30 cal bullets with a 50-55ishmm case and they're all going to feel the same once you pull the trigger.

The difference is in how the actions work, so with that in mind it's not a bad idea to buy an arisaka with the sole intent of just finger fucking it.

If you really want, you could spend over a buck a round once just to say you shot it, but I wouldn't head into japshit with the intention of shooting it honestly.

I bought the 99 and 38 for $90 each last year, because my Cabelas didn't know what the fuck they were other than that the barrels were shrekt and both the stocks were snapped in half and reglued (I guess a GI broke them to smuggle them easier). They're also totally not in shootable condition, but I'm getting all I want and that its to just look at them and work that bolt every so often. I even took the followers out of them.

You could reload for them, if you really wanted, but for the same time and cost you could reload for something more accurate or more fun to shoot, but to each his own.

Jap pistols are even harder to feed, but same principle.

tl;dr buy it if you would still be happy if it was a wall hanger.
>>
>>30219855
Do any of the Russian/eastern companies make cheap ammo for it
>>
>>30220357
No.
>>
>>30220357
>cheap ammo for arisakas
It's already been established several times that there is no cheap ammo
>slav countries
Why would they reload a 70 years old defunct cartridge for an extremely, extremely small number of owners who aren't already reloading for themselves
>>
>>30220586
Those Slavs do some crazy shit
>>
>>30220586
PPU makes 6.5 Mannlicher ammo, it's not a unreasonable question.
>>
>>30219754
I have a Type 99. Ammo is hard as fuck to find but I've heard you could reload it using 30-06 casings. Not sure how true it is, considering I don't reload in the first place. Might sell it so I can buy a different gun.
>>
File: type99.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
type99.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
>>30222388
they also make 7.7jap cases... for hornady...who contract loads them for graf and sons.
its a neat gun but this is probably a "shoot once a year" gun
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.