[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the modern military look so god damn fucked compared
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 45
File: 3597683245_067b776538.jpg (161 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
3597683245_067b776538.jpg
161 KB, 500x333
Why does the modern military look so god damn fucked compared to the old stuff?
>>
aesthetic opinion
>>
>>30218783
Because back then there were a few photographers working for the Armed Forces taking staged pictures and now you have a billion shmucks with cellhpone cameras.
>>
Its just the latest fad, covering everything in velcro and pockets.
>>
>>30218783
Lol ww2 airborne looks ready to plunge into hell and tickle the devil's balls while mordern airborne looks like even his fucking beret got a boner.
>>
>>30218824
>Implying you would not get a boner around the screaming eagles.
>>
File: urban_shield.jpg (317 KB, 955x500) Image search: [Google]
urban_shield.jpg
317 KB, 955x500
Police Militarization.

You can't feel special as a soldier if every cop in America is cosplaying soldier.

Look at these cops. How does this make you feel as a soldier? They're not real soldiers, but they stole your look and your gear.
>>
>>30218959
Police at the time were wearing kahkis, peaked caps, Sam Browne belts, flap holsters, adopting shoulder patches, using M1 helmets for riot gear, using Reising and Thompson SMG's, using Winchester 1897's and 1912's and Ithica Model 37 shotguns, and Colt Monitors and Browning BAR's.
>>
>>30219052
*Ithaca Model 37's
>>
>>30219052

They're still civilians. They don't belong in military camo.

Law Enforcement is not Military, they're totally different lines of work.
>>
pixels a shit
>>
>>30219092
Careful anon, you're treading in "THEYRE CIVILIANS, THEY DONT *NEED* MILITARY GRADE ________" water now.
>>
>>30219183

A soldier's uniform belongs on actual soldiers.
>>
>>30219183
They are accountable to the the public though. Or at least they should be.
>>
>>30219196
Or on anybody who buys it from a milsurp store. Whatcha gonna do about it?
>>
>>30219203

Law enforcement already has it own uniforms. It should wear them.
>>
>>30218795
ucp looks like ass. no one likes it.
>>
>>30219092
I never said they weren't civilians, or that they perform the same service. I'm just pointing out the fact that police were using paramilitary attire and equipment at the same time, and were often arming themselves with identical firearms to those used by the military.

As to the camo usage, do you feel that no civilians should have access to those patterns, or are you just mad that agents of the state are wearing them? While I don't think they really need to be in cammies, I can see why a SWAT member may want to select a uniform and equipment designed for use in combat since their function within a police department is to go in to potentially dangerous and violent situations. If you were tasked with busting drug dealers, stopping bank robbers, and rescuing hostages, you'd probably want a plate carrier, ballistic helmet, good boots, a good rifle, a good pistol, spare ammo, a medkit, communications equipment, ballistic rated safety glasses, and some comfy pants that are gonna be easy to cut off if you need a tourniquet after taking a bullet to the femoral artery.
>>
>>30219222
Civilians already have civilian clothes. They should wear them.
>>
>>30219249

I don't think they should wear the exact same camo pattern as actual soldiers.
>>
File: youseep.jpg (312 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
youseep.jpg
312 KB, 1400x933
>>30218959
Sure those aren't actually Military Police?
>>
>>30219343
What does wearing the same pattern of camoflage do for them that upsets you so much? They're required by law to identify themselves as police. They wear huge patches that say "POLICE" on theur chests and backs, and their department's shoulder patches. A jack booted thug can ruin your life wearing My Little Pony pajama pants with his gear just as much as he can in multicam, so it's not likr the color of his trousers makes police abuse somehow easier, and they might actually be saving taxpayers money by getting their tactical uniforms through federal programs rather than putting a smaller contract bid out and paying a higher per unit cost.
>>
>>30219343
Good thing nobody cares what you think. Especially seeing as a shitload of countries share the same pattern because of cost and effectiveness.
>>
File: Then, Now.png (1 MB, 3774x2344) Image search: [Google]
Then, Now.png
1 MB, 3774x2344
This regression of uniform aesthetic triggers me
>>
>>30219423
wew lad my autism is showing, fucked that up
>>
>>30219393
>>30219402

Only a small percentage of the US population is even in the military.

The uniform represents a unique sacrifice for one's country. It's more than just utilitarian camouflage, it actually stands for something.

As a civilian, I'll never wear a military uniform because I have no business wearing one. I didn't earn it.
>>
I think we can fix it by adding more hardshell outer gear.
Inconvienant to the soldier so higher up brass will love it, and serves a purpose because it'll protect you from getting dirt or grass stains on your uniform while you're spring cleaning because next war when anon.

My suggestions as follows
Boot to knee shin guard and kneepad combo, some ye ol' fantasy armor type kevlar shit that keeps your pants held tight and your aesthetic high.
Shoulder to lower arm armguards, similiar to the leg protection in durability and purpose, patches can be worn on the outside.

Now what you've got is spooky armored up soldiers loitering about looking ready to get into fights or soccer matches.
>>
>>30218783
You're comparing totally different uniforms.
The Ranger in ACU's with his Beret isn't anywhere near the 'as we would have dropped in' sort of gear as he'd be using to jump. The reenactors there are all in full combat loadout sans rifles and bandoleers.

A fair comparison would be to find a pic of a Ranger in an IBA/IOTV with ACH, NODs, hydration, etc.

I agree that there's something special about WWII veterans and what they saw and did, but much of that is also in common with Korea and Vietnam vets.

Being an OIF & OEF vet myself, I feel like we weren't allowed to fight an effective war and we were often allies with "people" just as bad as the ones we were fighting over there.

I've spoken with many WW2, Korean, and Vietnam war vets and only the 'nam vets really seem to understand that frustration. WW2 and Korea benefited from a singularity of purpose that we simply never had in modern wars.
I can't help but feel that's part of the difference - beyond the gear and tech that is.
>>
Stop designing tops to be worn with a belt around the middle when there is no belt to be worn around the middle. There's a fuck load of floppy space that looks like everyone bought their combat uniform on the cheap at the Walmart.
Seriously, we're required to not get fat, make the tops slimmer ffs.
>>
File: morerefugeemoney.jpg (4 MB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
morerefugeemoney.jpg
4 MB, 3072x2048
>>30218783
The Canadian forces have this look to them that I always thought mixed old with new... apart from the budget cuts
>>
>>30219435
Why stop at that? The military wears oxford dress shoes, leather boots, leather belts, web belts, cotton poly blends, ball caps, patrol caps and peaked caps. Where do you draw the line? Do you also refuse to wear navy blue? How about owning a 1911?

It's a pattern, and a commercially available one at that. The idea that a pattern of camouflage is some sacred and untouchable symbol of sacrifice and honor is absurd.
>>
>>30219603

So what is sacred and honorable to you then?
>>
>>30218783
Because you prefer things and people simply looking like they're capable, versus actually doing the things they're capable of.
>>
>>30219652
Not wearing the actual insignia is where the line is imo.
Not the guy you were replying to though,
>>
>>30219446
>we were often allies with "people" just as bad as the ones we were fighting over there.
You were the fucking invaders: you were the bad guys. In WW2 terms the guys you were fighting were the french resistance: guess what that makes you?
>>
>>30219652
Unit patches and awards. Things that are actually earned through membership and service. Even these can be bought, but only when those who have earned them (and more likely it's their shitty kids/grandkids) sell them. Medals and genuine issue unit patches aren't commercial products and they aren't useful items from a utilitarian standpoint but rather symbols signifying membership in a group as well as individual achievements. People collect them still, and I have a collection of patches and a box of medals my father and my grandfather earned, but they aren't worn by those who haven't earned them. In fact with awards it's illegal. Pants and shirts on the other hand are just that.
>>
>>30219464
They kind of look like digital-camoed WW2 paratroopers but with modern equipment.
>>
>>30219464
I've always admired the Canadians for doing so much with so little a budget. You guys went from wearing OD's to having the one of the best camo patterns and sparking a revolution in camo design. Congrats.
>>
Why can't americans wear a beret like a normal person? It looks like an aborted pancake on their heads.
>>
>>30219929
>aborted pancake on their heads
Kek
>>
>>30219309

Different anon, but you sound like the most insufferable overweight 17 year old posting out of their parents house I've seen all day. Stop playing devil's advocate. Unless you're serious, in which case you're a faggy little poser.
>>
>>30219435
Police uniforms are earned through hard work and sacrifice too. Their uniform for their SWAT is multimeme, they earned that position and uniform. Your argument is shit.
>>
>>30219736
Agreed. Insignia is where I draw the line as well.

>>30219984
>getting this mad
wew
>>
>>30218783
Body armor and tacticool stuff weren't a thing yet.
Most uniforms made during WWII had more style in mind than practicality. Just look at the Parsons jacket and German winter gear.
>>
>>30219196
>>30219222
A soldiers uniform is whatever the hell the DoD buys for them. In the 40s it was Khaki, and cops wore Khaki back then too . Where do you think the traditional police uniform you are thinking of came from?
Patrol uniforms and SWAT uniforms need to be different for reasons of both comfort and identification.
>>
>>30219446
>Something special about WWII vets
It was the most stylish war in history.
Allied uniforms looked amazing
German uniforms designed by Hugo Boss (seriously, look it up)
Even the soviets looked pretty snappy.

No war before or since has had people looking so amazing and heroic. I almost wonder if bringing back some sort of modernized version of WWII US uniforms wouldn't help PR in some way. WWII American troops just LOOKED more trustworthy and noble...
>>
>>30220328
>the shift away from WWII-era uniforms in the 1950s and 1960s was because of tramps and junkies buying all their clothes at the Army-Navy Surplus before committing a fuckton of crime and spoiling the very heroic image you talked about

>yfw we have niggers wearing ACU and Multicam on the street now

>yfw stolen valor faggotry is already egregiously bad

You're putting WWII uniforms on a pedestal, and then suggesting that we break the pedestal that took so long to repair.

Anon...
>>
>>30219464
>that concrete wall
I cannot help but think
>operating operationally around Greenwood Park, Ajax.
>>
>>30220328
Don't forget that it was the height of wood-n-steel on the ground and brightly painted subsonic flight in the air. I will fight IRL anyone that truly believes things like the M1 Garand, Lee Enfield, K98 Mauser, Luger pistol, F4U, P-51, P-38, B-17, or Spitfire weren't objectively beautiful.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (201 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
201 KB, 800x600
Shame the slavs are falling for the tactical velcro meme with their new stuff, I really liked the minimalist look of the gorka+chest rig+helmet that they rocked during the 90's/00's
>>
>>30220368
Military surplus is a thing. High quality stuff made affordable. It will ALWAYS be a thing.
But soldiers these days look like slobs in goofy shit, while soldiers then looked heroic.
Criminals will always buy milsurp regardless of what we want, so why not dress soldiers properly?

It is not that the old uniforms represent something else, but rather that they look simpler, and cleaner, and subconsciously make them seem more trustworthy.
See Canada's >>30219464 here. The blend of old and new makes them look more like "soldiers" than "kids paid to shoot shit."

Every war these days has a PR component. May as well look like heroic "good guys" so maybe the liberal media has a harder time demonizing them.

Hell, get some designer to make uniforms that scream "HEROIC" while retaining combat usefulness. The soldiers I am sure would love it too, as looking great while NOT having the press portray you as a sociopath would make one feel pretty good about serving your country. Also it would get one laid like crazy.
>>
>>30220578
What do you think about austrias army, OD still gets the job done
>>
>>30219183
The reason gun control passes is because of police exemptions. Owning "military grade" weapons for personal pleasure is one thing, the police don't need/shouldn't have them except in hostage rescue situations.
>>
>>30219435
>everyone throw out your ARs, you didn't earn them
>>
>>30219929
How the fuck do you wear them
>>
>>30220578
>But soldiers these days look like slobs in goofy shit, while soldiers then looked heroic.
You will always look like a fucking slob when you work in the military.
>>
File: hrhpow_2para.jpg (108 KB, 800x521) Image search: [Google]
hrhpow_2para.jpg
108 KB, 800x521
>>30220711
Not drooping down like an artistic impression of a stroke.
>>
>>30220578
>But soldiers these days look like slobs in goofy shit, while soldiers then looked heroic.
Le born in le wrong generation
>>
File: HicksvsMercs.jpg (54 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
HicksvsMercs.jpg
54 KB, 1024x768
>>30220617
That's pretty sweet. I like the simplicity of colour, the actual fit of the uniforms, and the lack of random shit hanging off them everywhere, but as far as "Heroic" goes... I think the fact that it's always villains in movies that use the AUG that's hurting them here.
They look less like heroes and more like corporate security.
Put them in white and red/orange and you could say they're Weyland-Yutani or some sort of early Cerberus.
>>
>>30220738
Literally all of those are doing that
>>
>>30220746
There's pretty damn big difference between the way brits wear it and this
>>
>>30220617
>Austrian military
>Getting anything done
>>
>>30218783
Lack of funding for high quality propaganda
>>
>>30219435
>Implying that Servicemen are allowed to wear their uniform whenever because "hur i fuaght"
>>
File: de.jpg (81 KB, 419x480) Image search: [Google]
de.jpg
81 KB, 419x480
>>30219446
>Ranger
>Red Beret
>>
File: 6Z1BpjF.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
6Z1BpjF.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>>30218783
Because Wars aren't won by the people who look the coolest. In fact if you think about it the losing side of just about every war looked a lot cooler than the ones who won. For example the American Civil War comma Nazi Germany.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 840x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 840x420
Rangers still look pretty good
>>
>>30220762
The American berets are cut differently, with more material for the "flaps". The Brits have more subdued flaps.
>>
>>30219446
>>30220799
This anons right, its not even a fucking ranger scroll thats 173rd
>>
>>30220767
Well, the austrian army got a decent training, depending on unit and can get shit done if needed, ofc not as much as bigger militaries

>>30220745
I've only been in for 6 months ( comp. Service ) and i got used to the stg77, kinda weird that it's more of a "bad guy gun", even tho the australians got their f88 and a bunch of other Nato countries use the stg77 aswell. But i loved the O.D. uniform
>>
>>30220818
They've got nicer fatigues and equipment
>>
File: 070620_medalje_b1.jpg (16 KB, 420x280) Image search: [Google]
070620_medalje_b1.jpg
16 KB, 420x280
>>30220821
Looks like all of europe is doing it though. Why would the americans do it so much differently when it looks much worse?
>>
File: Facecutter_open.jpg (93 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Facecutter_open.jpg
93 KB, 1024x768
>>30219728
>you were the bad guys

HA!

Right.

I got to sit there behind an M240 and helplessly watch as some subhuman Pashtun trash laid open a young woman's face multiple times with his face-cutting knife because the wind had blown her burqa off of her head and she'd accidentally shown her whole face/hair to us 'bad guys'.

Then the LT in charge of us 'bad guys' had to trade a 45lb sack of rice and some other shit to the same gaggle of 'elders' just to allow our medic to treat her wounds.
After her lacerations were treated, as we were driving away the same hadji made a point to show her face and rip her wounds open again in front of the rear det of our convoy as we were leaving.

I won't even go into the shit I've seen them do to little boys.. or animals.

So yeah. Yeah. Sure dude. WE were the bad guys.

I know you're trolling. But there's a reason that you find such a nearly universal disgust for the hadjis among US veterans, and it's because they're fucking subhuman filth.

Pic related. It's a fancier folding version of a Pashtun facecutting knife I brought home with me from that deployment.
>>
>>30218783
It's called the Sukhomlinov Effect. Looking good is for chumps and losers.
>>
File: isaf.jpg (38 KB, 456x456) Image search: [Google]
isaf.jpg
38 KB, 456x456
>>30218783
the modern soldier isn't wearing tactical gear and that is the only difference. BTW the Army has new uniforms now
>>
>>30218783
it was more simplistic.
now we have Velcro, extra patches and insignia's, and tacticool gear. All on a broken color pattern. Plain olive drab looks much better then multicam
>>
>>30220799
>>30220825
That's what I get for focusing on the point I was trying to make, and not paying attention to the other details.
Thank you for correcting that, gents.
>>
>>30219359
I still find it really quirky the way Finns wear those big rubber boots all the time.
>>
>>30220924
Finland is lakes, swamps and marshes all over the place. If you don't wear wellies you're gonna get your boots full of water and get gangrene.
>>
>>30220915
were you army?
>>
>>30220864
This story is clearly an anti-Islamic fabrication. Islam is a peaceful amd respectable religion. I am not baiting or anything.
>>
>>30218959
calm your tits
my dad was telling me the same thing happened after Vietnam ended. the military contractors want to keep selling so with the war winding down and the military not needing it the next best thing is LEOs. who (arguably) will get some use of it rather then have it sit in a bunker or thrown out.
After a few years the logistics of trying to keep all of that gear will catch up and they get rid of most of it. My town bought a "riot control" APV and it hasnt been used once. theres already talking of getting rid of it because it just takes up space. The cops I know say everybody hates it accept the top brass who are only keeping it for pride
>>
File: M425.jpg (57 KB, 559x800) Image search: [Google]
M425.jpg
57 KB, 559x800
>>30219459
Back in the day, uniforms came in a shit load of sizes, so you got one that actually fit right.

Now we just have utilitarian function WAY before form, and our guys look ten times shittier than they have to. We could definitely have uniforms that fit, are practical, AND look good.

Pic related was all three of those qualities in its day, and it was suitable even for almost the dressiest occasions a soldier might be required to attend.
>>
>>30220972
Thank your dad for his service for me. My name is Ted, but I want people to call me Tex. Tell your dad, "Tex says hi."

He'll know who I am.
>>
>>30219459
idk man i feel like ASUs and ACU cuts are fine, mine fit perfectly on me and looked nice too but i also wasnt a fat manlet or skeletor
>>
>>30219672
Not OP, but you gotta admit our uniforms look like total garbage, more so than they ever have to be while still being practical.
>>
>>30220989
thanks tex, but he was an accountant. he just knows I like military stuff and said he used to see cops in the mid to late 70s using old 'nam era gear and after a few years they relized it was a dumb idea unless you lived in a major city
>>
File: Facecutter_folded.jpg (91 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Facecutter_folded.jpg
91 KB, 1024x768
>>30220960
Yes, and I still am.

There's a handful of good people out in those countries, usually younger idealists that actually tried to educate themselves and genuinely want to see their country improved. Usually they'll end up being an interpreter, etc.

Most 'terps though are fucking stone cold con men that'd sell us out on a whim. Or just go green-on-blue on us randomly.

The worst was being dead stuck between dealing with ANA officers, etc doing shady ass shit and being completely powerless to do anything about it because were were not to interfere with the local gov't.

Turned the whole shit show into a never ending cycle of some group of hadjis telling us what we want to hear, us giving them a bunch of free shit, and then they'd randomly fuck off without telling us, and the process would repeat.
>>
>>30220831
>But i loved the O.D. uniform

Whenever I try on Austrian (or Swedish surplus), that shit always fits me like it was tailored to fit me.

Keep up the good work.
>>
>>30220950
I know why they do it, but I still find it funny every time I see it.
>>
>>30220724
Well... yeah. Cannot actually argue this. As an army brat, it is inevitable that one will look sloppy at some point. My dad was O4 and regularly just wore sloppy surplus stuff. Just for hackin around in.

>>30220739
Smoke 2 cartons of cock, memefag.

>>30220831
Well yeah, it's a cool gun. And great if your goal was the "intimidation/badguy" look. But I think bullpups look inherently sneaky and badguyish. Name one bullpup that looks like a good guy gun. Maybe the L85A2... but it's a bustass gun. Just looks unintimidating.
>>
File: 651689.jpg (31 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
651689.jpg
31 KB, 550x550
>>30221042
It does cause some very interesting boot designs as well. Nordic shoes are designed to keep your feet dry, so it's a lot of rubber rather than the conventional leather boots.
>>
It's really only the American military that looks like shit. Before American dominance, Europe was the trendsetter for military stuff, hence everything just looking way better.

Before you get angry, I'm also American. It's just a part of our tradition to make things more garishly low class.
>>
>>30221036
somehow it fits almost everyone, even tho the newest kaz03 (uniform) is about 13years old
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.jpg (374 KB, 3716x2099) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.jpg
374 KB, 3716x2099
>>30221051
Different anon, but, I've always thought of the AUG as a good guy gun.

It doesn't have many of the scary tactical baby killer accessories like lots of rails or a matte black finish.
Also overall the outline of it is more smooth and ergonomic looking, not all jagged and squared off.
>>
File: famas3[1].gif (94 KB, 450x514) Image search: [Google]
famas3[1].gif
94 KB, 450x514
>>30220853
>>30220825
A quick history of the military beret.
The beret was initially a traditional cap from southern france, that was first worn by troops in the Chasseurs Alpins (alpine hunters, mountain infantry). It was called the tarte (pie) and is larger that the usual beret. pic related.
As every /k/ommando knows, militaries across the world are massive fashionistas, and will steal uniform ideas from each other all the time (usually from the major power at the time, or a victor, or a badass unit,...)

During ww1, the chasseurs alpins were shock troops, equivalent to the german sturmtruppen, and america had a massive hard-on for them, even before officially joining the war. You can google Blue Devils for more info on this.

Meanwhile, the french tankers needed a cap, and the french képi isn't very practical in confined space. So they took the chasseur alpins beret, resized it, and made it their officed headgear. The british tank regiment soon followed, then the entirety of of the british army, including the SF, and the rest is history.

At some point in time, the US decided that they too needed a beret, so they made one based on the british cap, but also drew some inspiration from the original tarte that was present in the american culture instead of simply copypasting the british one.
And that's why it doesn't look like the rest of the world.
>>
>>30221065
I also like how Scandinavian boots are made to be very wide compared to other countries boots too: for extra socks and general confines.

I think Scandinavians in general have wide feet too.
>>
>>30219446
He's 173rd not 75th. Also you have no idea what the airborne community looks like for combat jumps or night airborne ops.

This by extension goes to /k/ too, you arm chair commandos don't need to spout anything about law enforcement or military being that none of you fuckers are actually in either. Stick to talking about firearms
>>
>>30221185
>he beret was initially a traditional cap from southern france

Funny how you start out by being wrong. The beret comes from the spanish baque region. In many countries in europe it's named bask rather than the french beret. Beret is a francization of basque.
>>
>>30221189
Yeah, as a swede with wide feet it's really hard to find shoes that fit properly from companies that don't make extra wide models. At least boot makers make wider models, getting regular shoes is much more difficult since they focus on style rather than fitting the foot well. It sucks to shop shoes in the US for me.
>>
File: adidas-samba-shoes-profile.jpg (24 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
adidas-samba-shoes-profile.jpg
24 KB, 300x400
>>30221279
>sucks to shop shoes in the US for me.

American here, same problem. I want to get stylish shoes, but then when I try them on, I feel like I have to fold my foot in half width-wise to fit into them.

Maybe it's my Swede blood, lol.

Pic related is a pair of shoes I like but CANNOT fit into.
>>
>>30221246
>Béarn
>Spanish Basque

Funny how you start out by being wrong
>>
>>30219435
I'm the anon you replied to. Im in the military and I don't give two shits who wears the camo honestly. Most other people don't either. They might laugh at the gear queer retards, but generally no one gives a shit. The people that do are the assholes demanding discounts everywhere because they were a turbo-pog who valiantly filled spreadsheets for our country.
>>
>>30221246
Bearn would like to have some words with you.

And the basque region is as much french as it is spanish. Afaik Spain doesn't possess Labour, Sopule or Basse-Navarre.
(maybe even more, in fact, since the kingdom of Navarre was united with France when its king, Henry III, became Henry IV king of France).

Seriously, nobody on /k/ knows about Navarre, I privilegied clarity over a 4-parts socio-political essay on military headgear, as fun as this would be.
>>
File: US Army ASU multiple others.jpg (455 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
US Army ASU multiple others.jpg
455 KB, 1400x933
>>30218783
Because Army ACU looks Stupid and doesn't blend in with anything unless your in a gravel pit. $5,000,000.00 of Stupid.
The Greatest Generation had it on when they took out some bad motherfuckers. Green blends in with green.
>>
>>30218959
3/4ths of the guys in the photo are prior military. Who cares if Police wear camo. They are probably a rural department, with a lot of woods nearby.
>>
>>30221620
>doesn't blend in with anything unless your in a gravel pit.

Once it gets sun bleached, it looks good in a desert urban environment, like Iraq...but that's about it.
>>
>>30219435
as prior service, I just wanna say you're a colossal faggot and the reason our military is a dog and pony show.
>>
>>30219435
It's not a uniform as long as it didn't got insigna on it, though.
>>
File: dat jiggle.jpg (3 KB, 125x97) Image search: [Google]
dat jiggle.jpg
3 KB, 125x97
>>30219423
this is really white anon
>>
File: img0552dx5.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
img0552dx5.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
>>30220544
I totally agree. Why the fuck did they have to fall for the meme....
>>
>>30218959
I was thinking of joining the marines for the training and uniform/chicks, but maybe I should just do police academy instead?
>>
>>30219423
Those camos are pretty effective, I can only see the first two guys.
>>
File: j_17.gif (118 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
j_17.gif
118 KB, 450x450
>>30218959
But it looks cool.
>>
>>30221620
Okay, can somebody tell me what's going on in this picture? Is this some kind of joint training exercise?
>tfw embarassed for the American in ACU, he looks so out of place
>>
>>30221246
......Bilbao anon?
>>
>>30219423
I don't know how you fucked up with MS Paint. Damn, son.

All jokes aside, the old school pinks and greens were a thing of beauty. We need to bring these back.
>>
File: nito_horrifying.png (116 KB, 400x460) Image search: [Google]
nito_horrifying.png
116 KB, 400x460
>>30219423

This is it lads

The worst crop ever made by a human being

Kys please before you do this again
>>
>>30220864
>buddy was a door-kicker in Baghdad and was sharing stories one day
>his first night on patrol
>guy on the night-vision scope in the turret (I forget what he called it, I'm a disgusting civie) tells him "anon, get your ass up here!"
>What?
>"Dude, don't move it. Just look through it"
>two hadjis taking turns fucking a goat
>these hadjis were ones with the Iraqi forces that they were training the next day

He said it took everything in him not to die laughing and mention it the next day.
>>
>>30220982
Glad I have a repo of one of those uniforms.
>>
>>30220866
I think you *may* be able to argue that an inferior side feels they need to compensate. That's about it, though. A superior force that looks good will do just as well as looking shitty.
>>
>>30219225
ucp worked once it got dirty, and if you needed it you were getting dirty.

I also didn't mind not having to shine boots anymore in garrison.
>>
>>30222007
I do too. It only came in generic sizes, which sucks. Got a medium, but I think it's proportioned for most American reenactors (big belly), cos I can fit another one of me in it when it's buttoned up. I'm kinda disappointed in it even though it IS good quality and looks nice.

The fit beyond the shoulders and chest is just WAY too big though.
>>
>>30221127
It HAS to be a good guy gun. the CT's in counter strike use it.
>>
>>30218959
>Every cop

kek
>>
File: 1464834038391.png (249 KB, 601x356) Image search: [Google]
1464834038391.png
249 KB, 601x356
>>30219435
Shut the fuck up you massive fairy, Jesus Christ. The day LEO's start wearing dress blues with a CAR on it, then you can be "offended". But otherwise, it's just a fucking uniform. Contrary to your opinion, which is that of a 12 year old, everyone in the military wears the same cammies. The MOH winner? Yeah, he wears the same cammies as a brand new boot from supply.

SWAT wants to wear uniforms that maximize effectiveness in a certain operating environment while dealing with potentially dangerous suspects? Good, they should. They want to wear it to be easily identifiable to other units and suspects as well? GOOD. They're not, "STOLIN VALER, STOLIN VALER," or disrespecting the military in any way. They are literally using camouflage for it's intended purpose you fucking sperg.

So shut the fuck up with your stupid fucking hero worship.
>inb4 so edgy
I'm prior service. Cammies don't mean shit.
>>
>>30219423
>3774x2344
Holy shit, I can't stop laughing
>>
>>30223101
t. pig
>>
>>30223350
He is speaking as prior service though.
>>
File: martinelli.jpg (97 KB, 600x726) Image search: [Google]
martinelli.jpg
97 KB, 600x726
>>30218959
Why can't they just go back to looking like this
>>
>>30223491
Those uniforms are badass
>>
File: Spoopy Green Beret.jpg (1 MB, 4870x3247) Image search: [Google]
Spoopy Green Beret.jpg
1 MB, 4870x3247
>>30218783
Dunno OP, pic related looks pretty fucking rad.
>>
>>30223491
Jesus Christ that strap going over the top of his hat. You can't unfuck yourself if the uniform is fucked from the start.
>>
>>30220982
There's a reason it was continually downgraded, into the M1944 waistcoat with minimal tailoring and material usage
>>
>>30223644
Yes, but countries that aren't in war emergency conditions where it's truly SHTF, don't typically go that extreme, and will often stick with a nicer uniform unless it's truly cost prohibitive. German tunics weren't the cheapest, but they were fine to use for nearly ten years without that much modification.

Most notable exception is British battle dress (which was renowned in looking frumpy), and Russian gymnasterkas, which had been retard-tier simple since the beginning of the 20th century.
>>
File: German Uniforms.jpg (930 KB, 5140x1200) Image search: [Google]
German Uniforms.jpg
930 KB, 5140x1200
>>30218783
It's pretty much an aesthetic opinion. You can't argue with the effectiveness of the new uniforms and gear

>inb4 "muh UCP"
Didn't you get the memo? It's being phased out.
>>
>>30223809
1914-1943 make my dick diamonds.
>>
>>30219225

>ucp

Not military detected.
>>
>>30219464
The guy on the left looks like a Rastafarian made out of leaves.
>>
>>30224013
So he's from Vancouver?
>>
>>30224018
could be
>>
>>30218783
Velcro, pen pockets and a lack of buttons.
>>
>>30218959
So let me get this straight 2nd ammendment = Owning same arms as government = Civilians = Police =/ AR15s? If civilians can have AR15s cops should be able too
>>
>>30220762
Damn that man looks good for an O-6.
>>
>>30218959

My county's Sheriff adopted Multicam two years before the Army when they were still running around in UCP. Why is the US Army stealing the Sheriff's Office Valor!?!?!?!?
>>
It's camo. Camo never looks good. Ever.
>>
>>30225243
Well...
>>
>>30225243
>>
>>30219464
I like the scrim, looks cool with CADPAT.
>>
>>30221620
I'll never understand the US Army's logic when it came to ACU

>we need a new pattern!
>lets copy CADPAT exactly, but change the colors to grey and white
>good idea, promotions all around!
>>
>>30219092
I can wear whatever the fuck I want, you statist shit.
>>
Why not just use tiger stripe?
>>
>>30225796
Yes you can, and we can all call you an idiot playing soldier, because 'Murica defends my freedom to laugh at you.

If its a question of function, no one cares. Game hunters wear camo, but they dont wear it the same way soldiers do, and they often dont like or choose the same camo patterns. If you're one of those kids who walks around a college campus with a military duffel and camo pants, but you aren't ROTC / Reserves / military-somefuckingway, you're an idiot.
>>
>>30219423
my question is why does the enlisted airmen on the right have a pair of eagles on his epaulets? Enlisted don't even have epaulets on their service dress. Is he CAP or something? Looks like his ribbons are the National Defense service medal and the BMT ribbon, so he's a (dipshit) fresh out of BMT, since he doesn't even have the GWOT.
>fag didn't get marksman
>or honor grad
>multitude of keks
Seriously though, wtf?
>>
>>30225704
What LBE or what webbing is this guy using???
>>
>>30221032
Great so you were in the army and couldn't recognize a red fucking beret and 173rd patch, something a fucking boot one week into Benning could do. Good job.
>>
>>30226987

This. Policemen are NOT SOLDIERS. The instant they become soldiers, we have a problem. You cannot desert as a policeman. You are a civilian. And that is a good thing.
>>
>>30229620
He made a mistake in post anon, no need to go Austism NCO on him
>>
>>30229653

See

>>30225222
>>
>>30221201
You guys don't wear helmets, body armor, or NOD's? Jeez you guys really are hardcore.
>>
>>30221322
I feel you, it looks like I wear clown shoes because I have to size my adidas up until my feet have enough lateral space for me feet to fit.
>>
>>30229653

No one is arguing that police should be soldiers. Law Enforcement has it's place upholding the laws of our country and handling domestic National Security crisis. No one wants them to do the military's job. That said, LE does perform duties in which they can benifit from using tactical gear and camo. Using tactical gear and camo does not make them soldiers anymore than it makes an airsofter a Tier 1 operator.
>>
>>30220864
You defeated the Nazis and thus those "bad guys" are taking over Europe. They're already throwing acid in the faces of young European women.
>>
>>30223491
...you realize that is a para military uniform also, right?
>>
>>30218866
I've been around plenty, I would get annoyed but would not get a boner.
>>
>>30218783
>UCP
>Modern
>>
>>30229751
That isnt an answer
>>
File: 1337.jpg (550 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1337.jpg
550 KB, 1280x1920
>>30218959
>>
>>30230850
Other than the head wrap he isnt wearing anything he shouldnt be and a head wrap isnt military issue.
>>
>>30230850
Holy fuck, I wonder if he realizes that every one of his co workers probably laugh at him behind his back.
>>
>>30229620
Yep, silly me, an NCO anon with almost 10 years in the Army glanced at a picture with a red beret and 173rd patch and said 'ranger' by mistake looking at the WW2 dudes. I already thanked the other two anons for pointing out the dumbass mistake. Mea Culpa.

>Acting like you've never made a silly mistake regarding rank/uniforms before

>Acting like you don't see SNCO's and Officers make even bigger, stupider mistakes that actually matter on a daily basis in the Army.

Just saying.
>>
>>30230949
i believe you.
>>
>>30230949
Dude.

Duuuude.

How pog do you have to be to not know the beret colors and what they mean? There's only fucking 4 of them.
>>
File: 1405716489543s.jpg (3 KB, 114x125) Image search: [Google]
1405716489543s.jpg
3 KB, 114x125
>>30230862
The guy is clearly cos playing.
Defending this shows you are one of those airshit tier cos players.
>>
>>30230862

This. No "muh stolen valor." Do you guys realize how silly it is that 3/4 of /k/ has they stuff you're complaining that cops have? You're both civilians. You're both free to own them. The difference is they actually go into harm's way.
>>
>>30230850
>the "thin blue line" on his flag patch

WOW now that's a fucking edgy move right there, Mr. Law Man.
>>
File: NiceNo.1's.jpg (34 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
NiceNo.1's.jpg
34 KB, 620x330
Well if your talking any modern uniform, alot of them still still look great.
>>
File: paramilitary_doorman.jpg (44 KB, 635x477) Image search: [Google]
paramilitary_doorman.jpg
44 KB, 635x477
>>30230799
>>
File: paramilitary_milkman.jpg (26 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
paramilitary_milkman.jpg
26 KB, 590x350
>>30230799
h
>>
File: paramilitary_elevatoroperator.png (492 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
paramilitary_elevatoroperator.png
492 KB, 640x480
>>30230799
d
>>
File: paramilitary_cabdriver.jpg (174 KB, 1140x756) Image search: [Google]
paramilitary_cabdriver.jpg
174 KB, 1140x756
>>30230799
e
>>
File: basically_child_soldier.jpg (73 KB, 703x900) Image search: [Google]
basically_child_soldier.jpg
73 KB, 703x900
>>30230799
>>
>>30231086
>>30231095
>>30231108
>>30231118
>>30231143
>"paramilitary milkman"
>basically a child soldier
anon give me back my sides
>>
>>30231086
>>30231095
>>30231108
>>30231118
>>30231143
>they all have the same hat as the officer
>ignore the differences in the actual clothing
Nice herring, is it red?
>>
>>30231015
Yeah, a head wrap is over the top, but nothing he has is military issue. Are you saying that a USMS fugitive task force member should not have body armor or a patrol rifle?
>>
>>30221912
Seems like officers from multiple countries observing Finnish exercises.
>>
>>30221322
Well maybe if you didn't get a babby size.

I'm 45% Scandinavian DNA, 6ft 2in/lanky, and have long/narrow size 13 feet.

Size 13 Adidas Sambas fit like a glove. Anything Adidas because they're all for long skinny feet, not wide/flat-footed subhumans.
>>
>>30220762
Had to double take, thought that symbol on his chest was the Italian Classical Fascist symbol
>>
>>30221032
Saca tripas fag, is that you?
>>
>>30230949
>a silly mistake regarding rank/uniforms
I'm calling bullshit. If you cant pause for two seconds to look at a picture and determine what color a fucking beret is before assuming that they are a ranger I then doubt that you were an NCO, lower enlisted, officer or anything in between above and or below. The bar for intelligence in the army is surprisingly low but it is not low enough for you to not differentiate four colored berets. If you are what you say you are, like >>30231011 said, you must be some super turbo fucking pog national guard super out there NCO spending most of his days sniffing fucking glue before reporting to drill.
>>
>>30223809
2002 best dwi wehraboos
>>
>>30230850
Is that a 1911 he has?
>>
>>30220762
poor guy. full bird but no combat patch.
>>
>>30222035
>it's great camouflage once it completely changes color!

No shit, So is every fabric on earth faggot, doesnt make it any less of the ugliest most ineffective waste of money ever concived, so stop saying that.
>>
>>30218959
Be government trying to find cheapest way to outfit cops for hazardous situations, wait they make top notch gear for the military thats been field tested in similar situations? Nope cant use that it is not specially designed for cops. Its pretty fuckin obvious why they use it, if you could get the best gear you could get in a life threatening situation wouldnt you?
>>
>>30232002
If you look you can see the edge of a deployment patch
>>
>>30232002
> muh 10k/month retirement for life
> poor guy
>>
>>30232002
>CIB
>doesn't see combat
are you retarded?
>>
>>30218959
Who's the missy second from right?
>>
>>30220817
Union uniforms look better though
>>
>>30219464
I've always been pretty impressed with Canadian kit.
>>
>>30220762
What the fuck is up with his eyebrows. Is he raising one on purpose or what.
>>
File: Nam (8).jpg (60 KB, 594x409) Image search: [Google]
Nam (8).jpg
60 KB, 594x409
I really like the US Vietnam/50s-70s Cold War kit

>Solid OD Green
>M1 Steel helmet
>With or without camo slip cover
>MPs have white gloves and polished stainless helmets
>>
>>30231143
holy shit anon thank you
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.