[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1464852682703.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1464852682703.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
What is the quietest you could ever get a gun while still mataining some sense of power? I assume you'd start with something small maybe like a .223 etc? Or would any significant dampening would turn it into a BBgun?

What method/silencer would you use? Or is it just impossible? Could you ever get anything to still penetrate at maybe.. as loud as a paintball gun?

I realize this is kind of dumb a pointless question but I'm curious.
>>
File: 1355363776445.jpg (21 KB, 740x321) Image search: [Google]
1355363776445.jpg
21 KB, 740x321
>>30216410
>>
for best results you use something subsonic so it doesn't make a crack
45, for example, is a good example of that
and yes you can get them really really quiet
>>30216424 is an example where it is integrally suppressed
a "wet" suppressor is also very quiet
>>
>>30216410
Like >>30216424 posted De Lisle carbine is a good example. As are Mk22 style systems.

Basically in the most effective systems you see a larger caliber bullet at subsonic speeds with a manual action combined with a high volume suppressor.

These systems aren't really made to bear armor penetration wise but soft targets they will still be very effective.

On a side note the russian developed the 9x39 round to be both easy to silence and have good penetration. Its hard to know how well these stack up because the ammo and rifles are not available to civilians at all.
>>
>>30216410
You'd actually want to do the complete opposite and go large. 223 is difficult to suppress because of its high velocity and small caliber size. In order to maintain a lot of energy while decreasing velocity you make up for it in mass. This is why 45 acp is a good round suppressed because it is inherently subsonic but doesn't compromise with energy. 300 blk is also a good contender with heavy grain bullets.
I'd imagine you'd want a platform that is sealed off and doesn't allow expanding gases to escape ie a bolt action.
>>
>>30216410
>he thinks suppressed .223 is quiet and that suppressors make rounds less effective

Am I going crazy? Is this still night /k/?

Keeping in mind that db ratings are logarithmic, assume an increase of 10db means a sound is perceived as about twice as loud.

If we go by the idea that 9mm is the "minimum man-stopper" you can get that down to the 125db range suppressed with 147gr subsonic.

A paintball gun is about 90db.

You could probably get a suppressed sealed action 22lr down into the 115-120 range, but even that is going to be perceived as ~4 times as loud as the paintball gun.

>>30216509
>Basically in the most effective systems you see a larger caliber bullet
Slight correction for you, the smaller the bore diameter the better since it is easier to contain the gases from the shot within the baffles without it escaping the suppressor before cooling which is why subsonic loaded 9mm is quieter than 45acp.
>>
>>30216410
Also I think you might be misinformed on weekday exactly a suppressor does to a bullet. It does not hinder the bullet or energy in a negative way at all, and in fact, suppressors typically increase velocity slightly. You may be confusing people using weaker loads to achieve subsonic speeds and automatically attributing that to an effect of a suppressor. You can run full power cartridges but you'll get a loud super sonic crack from the bullet.
>>
Huh yeah I guess I wasn't super clear on that. Didn't know that suppressors didnt slow things down themsleves. Idk why I had that idea but I know I've heard people reference it.

So basically no you couldn't ever get it very quiet? 120db.. That's still loud as shit relative to what people hear in everyday life.
>>
Anyone remember that European veterinarians pistol that if memory serves is the quietest supressed firearm to date? I don't remember much about it but I think they compared the noise level to a car door being slammed
>>
>>30216717
The welrod. Also people were alot deafer in ww2.
>>
>>30216717
A lot of horse guns are quiet not because they are suppressed but because they are fired when held tightly to the skull so the gasses don't vent to atmosphere and "pop"
>>
>What is the quietest you could ever get a gun while still mataining some sense of power?

About as loud as someone hammering nails.

>I assume you'd start with something small maybe like a .223 etc?

If you were going to try and make it as quiet as possible you'd start with a bolt action .22. If you needed something a little more powerful you'd move up to a subsonic centerfire cartridge.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.