[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dumb question thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: wut.png (534 KB, 653x756) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
534 KB, 653x756
Picture unrelated.

Can we have a dumb question thread?
Here's mine: What do you call it when you have a scope mount in which you can still view your ironsights underneath it?
>>
>>30216399

"see through"
>>
>>30216399
see through scope rings though you end up with the scope being really high
>>
>>30216406
Wow, derp. Well, thanks anon, that really helps me determine what I want to get.

Now I'll just leave this thread up for any other people with random questions as I didn't see any others at the time.
>>
File: cowitness.jpg (44 KB, 823x466) Image search: [Google]
cowitness.jpg
44 KB, 823x466
>>30216399
Cowitness
>>
File: 6c.jpg (76 KB, 617x720) Image search: [Google]
6c.jpg
76 KB, 617x720
>>30216399
Here are my questions:

1. Are there any "/k/ books recommendations" (non-fictional)?

2. I'm looking for a source of detailed descriptions (perfectly - with analyses) of the real small-scale military operations. Modern, at least 1980+. Can you recommend anything?
>>
>>30216399
here's mine:
there's a NATO drill called Adriatic Strike 2016 going on in my country and foreign warplanes keep flying on afterburner over my town all day erry day

is it possible to strike some fear into inconsiderable cunts by triggering their missile warning systems using a microwave? if even one of the fuckers shat their pants, I'd count it as victory
>>
How does shotgun shot not scratch up the inside of the barrel
>>
>>30217207
shot is made of softer material than the barrel
>>
>>30217207
What >>30217211 said, when using lead.

When using harder shot (steel, tungsten composites, etc) you must use a thicker, tougher shot cup that completely contains the shot to prevent damage to the barrel.
>>
There doesnt seem to be a qtddtot up at the moment so ill ask here. Not directly weapons related but asking here since this board has a higher proportion of older males;

So you know bengay? That sprain/joint pain creme stuff. I use it a lot because i have recurring back problems, and sometimes i put it on my legs or whatever happens to get sore during the day etc...

Does anyone make some kind of bath additive that does the same thing? Like something I could just put in the bath and sitting in the bath would have an analogous effect to covering your entire body in bengay?
>>
>>30217211
Sort if similar to this question

When a bullet travels down the barrel, does it scrape against the rifiling, or is the bullet's diameter slightly less than that of the barrel so it doesn't touch it? Do the gasses keep the bullet centered so it doesn't hit the sides?
>>
>>30217200
Fellow Slovenian? Been hearing those same afterburnes for all week.
>>
>>30218401
iirc the bore of the barrel is slightly smaller than the intended bullet,

i.e a 5.56mm bullet is fired through a 5.55mm bore so it's making extremely tight contact with the rifling the whole way down the barrel

(this could be totally wrong and retarded as shit, but i'm pretty sure i've heard people mention it)
>>
>>30216936
No, he is talking about a scope where irons are visible below the the scope. A cowitness doesn't work with magnified optics for what should be obvious reasons.
>>
Not really a dumb question but something I could use some advice on. I have the opportunity to purchase an M1 for $800. It has new wood, a new criterion barrel, and new springs. Should I do it? I was planning on getting an S&W M&P9 in the next month or so but this looks fucking tempting. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>30218636
yeah, I'm in Posavje and they are getting on my nerves
>>
>>30216399
Its called co witness
>>
>>30218360
Have you tried Epsom salts? They help for soreness and can be dissolved in bath water, also can be mixed with water to use as a laxative, so just don't drink your bath water.
>>
I have this stupid question i've been thinking about for the last hour or so.
Would there be any sinificant drawback to having a large calibre pistol use a drop-down gravity-assisted magazine instead of a springloaded in-grip one? Not necessarily 50bmg but larger that regular 5.56.
>>
>>30216415
>though you end up with the scope being really high
Works great in some applications, though. I had some weaver mount see throughs lying around that I used to mount a scope on a low profile AR. Puts it at just the right height.

>>30218823
I would. Sounds like a fair price for a good shooter. Limited collector's value, but a fine rifle.
>>
>>30218869
Well i have SOME kind of bath salts, not sure what exactly theyre called, i do find that nice for a soak after a hiking or skiing trip, but looking more for something with that icyhot bengay feel
>>
>>30216399
When you're mounting a scope is there any 'right' way to do it? like to center it on the scope mount? or do you just tighten down the screws so that it looks evenish and then zero it?

also, why can't I find a concealed carry holster that I can use with a lazer or flashlight on the bottom rail? custom only?
>>
>>30219005
Yeah, there's somewhat of a technique to it. I would not recommend eye-balling it and just tightening the screws randomly by hand. Certain scope rings have a very specific recommend torque.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-mount-a-rifle-scope.html
>>
>>30216974
personal book recommendations

A martyr speaks---- about an american going to fight in rhodesia. not a book, a diary.

With the Old Breed- The pacific war from the perspective of a marine mortarman. Gripping cant-put-it-down type book.

\

neither ofn these are tactical though really
>>
File: 1.jpg (126 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
126 KB, 768x1280
>>30218982
Epsom salt is not "bath salts" its a chemical that can be used in a bath, if you just want the feeling of bengay, try peppermint or eucalyptus oils though they will not provide any physical relief, just menthol feeling
>>
File: 91r5180IcNL._SX425_.jpg (11 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
91r5180IcNL._SX425_.jpg
11 KB, 425x319
Here's my dumb one, I just bought a milsurp Surefire M951 for cheap, but it came with some non-traditional looking batteries. They're the same size roughly as 2x CR123's stacked on another but I didn't want to fuck it up by using them without asking.

Is it cool to use 2x cr123's in it? What about with a Malkoff upgrade which should be here tomorrow, still cool with 2x cr123's?
>>
>>30218890
Well yeah... if youre not holding in a way that allows gravity to help it feed

Also mag would be on the top which makes sights unusable or would, or if it is some kind of diagonal offset top mounted mag, itd be awkward to handle and by default not ambidextrous unless the mag is hilariously small
>>
>>30218890

yeah, it limits your field of view while aiming.

also fucks up the balance mightily
>>
>>30219043
Cool thanks! Ill look into that
>>
>>30216399
How do I make Cano stencils?
>>
>>30219064
What about using off-set sights ala BREN gun?
And perhaps add a ambidex mag release button?

I could be talking out my ass of course.
>>
(Well, this is the dumb question thread.)

>>30218360
Holy crap, /k/omrade, Try rubbing some bengay on your ballsack and anus, and then reconsider your question.
>>
>>30218823
M&P 9 is a great gun, but they will be produced for years to come. Get the M1 first.
>>
>>30218869
Epsom salts -- absolutely 0% evidence that they do ANYTHING at all physiologically.

At least they're cheap enough, I guess. Better than a $400/mon Rx that does absolutely nothing.
>>
>>30219093
I reckon it probably could be made to work, but there would be no reason to funnel cash into developing a model and facilities to mads produce it; the standard model is simply more practical and profitable.

What you're describing is essentially "what if they made something like a car, but slightly different than conventional automobiles" to which the answer is unless there is a cost justifiable nice for such a product; WHY (not how)

So mechanically speaking, it could work; from a business standpoint, pointless
>>
>>30219189
They do work as a laxative. Also who cares if it works when placebo effect works, look at those shitty copper bracelets
>>
File: 1.jpg (761 KB, 3552x2000) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
761 KB, 3552x2000
>>30219373
Also here's my question, how do I properly adjust the sights of my SD40VE, they are windage only and I think I nee to use a mallet and punch but I don't understand which I need to move and in what direction
>>
A few questions here.

Do railed handguards for ar/ak exist that are all plastic?
And if they do, do optics retain zero when they are mounted to these rails?
Are metal handguards better than the plastic ones? Which material is the best?

I'm asking because i saw a couple pictures of that competition ak 107 where they have an entire handguard/top rail unit seamingly made out of plastic and i was wondering if this is a good idea.
>>
>>30219399
Get a punch, and a rubber mallet, as to not mar the metal, then toss it in the trash and buy a real gun.
>>
>>30216936
Cowitness is dumb as fuck and you know it
>>
>>30216399
i think theyre called risers
>>
>>30219189
They also can draw infection from an open wound.
>>
>>30218360
You do not want that prickly ice sensation on your dick.

Supposedly you could pick up a bottle of wintergreen rubbing alcohol and add half of it to a bathtub if you want a similar while not painful cooling effect, but it'll be weaker unless you want to use the whole bottle or more and wear a condom into the bath.
>>
>>30219044
http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-cr123a-double.html

Some do the double pack to simplify logistics and avoid mixing old and fresh batts. It's purely optional, default is 2 CR123As.

Malkoff upgrades are also designed for 2 CR123As. Hope you remembered to order the M951/M2 shock absorbing fitting ring too.
>>
File: 1368825373811.jpg (81 KB, 460x634) Image search: [Google]
1368825373811.jpg
81 KB, 460x634
>>30216399
my question is why do people argue about 9mm .40 and .45
the real question is 960 Rowland 10mm or .460 Rowland
>>
Someone tell me why a polymer "milled style" AK receiver with metal inserts wouldn't work.
>>
>>30216399
I have a dumb question:

How does identifying your unit work?

Like you hear people say "blah blah company blah blah 43rd blah blah 3rd cavalry"

But what is the order, smallest to largest?

Like taking the 2nd Stryker cavalry from Wikipedia, would it be something like:
"Apache troop, first squadron, second cavalry"?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Stryker_Cavalry_Regiment_(United_States)

Trying to learn for /tg/ purposes.
>>
Does 9mm actually do anything to a person?
>>
Looking at a double magazine holster. It is designed for a Makarov .380

It will still fit a Bulgarian Makarov mag, right?
>>
>>30221659
No, 9x19 will stop and avoid a human being at all costs. That's why 9x19 is so commonly issued to police as anti-material rounds, as it will only harm metal, ceramics, animals, and cloth, but not people.
>>
>>30218927
>>30219125
After much thought I decided I'm going for it. I'm gonna call the dude tomorrow. I'm not really that interested in the collectors value. I just think it'd be awesome to own, and because it's restored, shoot. Will make a thread if the deal goes through.
>>
Is it possible to flute an existing barrel?
>>
File: military-camo-stencils_251578.jpg (30 KB, 552x461) Image search: [Google]
military-camo-stencils_251578.jpg
30 KB, 552x461
>>30218710
you are correct, the bullet is slightly larger than the lands in the barrel so that they really impart spin.

>>30219079
you mean camo? print then cut out the black parts with scissors or an exacto knife

>>30220734
because they can find 9mm .40 and .45 in stores

>>30222145
really should

>>30224297
sure
>>
File: 2267_pd1281151_1.jpg (15 KB, 448x420) Image search: [Google]
2267_pd1281151_1.jpg
15 KB, 448x420
Is it legal to carry a mace or a whip in Nevada?
>>
When you purchase a firearm, be it through a brick-and-mortar or online, does it come with a case to transport it in? Even rifles?
>>
>>30227502
In store, not always, usually depends on the manufacturer or store
Online, yes, because the online store guys are responsible for your rifle till you pick it up, so they try to protect it till it gets to you. Or at least that has been my experience, anyway.
>>
>>30227502

Usually comes in a (cardboard/paper) box, but not necessarily a case.
>>
>>30220845
Same reason the 100% polymer upper receiver won't work. The AK receiver deals with all the force and friction between the carrier and the frame of the receiver.

In theory, a polymer receiver with metal rails and ejector could work, but nobody has made one for testing that out. That I know of, at least.
>>
>>30221241
Former grunt Marine here, so I'll answer in what I can.

We usually identified from smallest to largest. For instance, I was with Golf company, 2nd battalion, 5th regiment, 1st Marine Division. Mostly, if asked, we would say "Golf 2-5" but written as "Golf 2/5". The rest was either implied or just left out.

You CAN get more specific, "x squad, y platoon, Golf company, etc", but that's usually reserved for medal citations or something like that.

I can't speak for the army or for other types of units (radio battalions, support units, logistics, whatever), but grunt units generally work the same.
Small>large, in direct ascending order.

There's also a rough rule of thumb for how large units are, as well.
>Fire team = 4 men
>squad = 3 fire teams +1 squad leader
>Platoon = 3 squads +1 platoon sergeant and 1 platoon commander
>company = 3 platoons +1 company gunny, 1 first sergeant, one company executive officer (XO), and 1 commanding officer (CO)
>battalion = 4 line (grunt) companies, 1 headquarters company (includes things like ops chief, his office, extra offices and their chiefs, etc), 1 battalion 1st Sgt, 1 SGM, XO, and CO (rank ascending)

In theory it keeps going up and up, but eventually it gets too prohibitive to write out.

I hope that helped, /tg/ anon.
>>
File: image:53198.jpg (55 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
image:53198.jpg
55 KB, 256x330
Alright I was playing dark souls with online and with the patch update on the xbox 360 then one day I decided to try out the game without the patch update on it and guess what?

The game won't fucking let me back in and it forces me out until I download the fucking update!

So I tried to go OFFLINE and still it tells me my save file differs from online and shit so I'm literally fucking pissed!

Because it has nothing to do with glitches but what if I play the game with a fresh save file WITHOUT the update and OFFLINE and then after a while of gameplay I sign back online and install the update to my game?

I'm afraid it will come up with the same bullshit but saying that I can't play unless I delete the save file or whatever so what the hell!?

Will I be able to carry on with my game if I decided to reinstall the update and sign back online or will it do the same shit to me where I'm permanently stucked to using a save file that is associated with online and updates and with a save file that is offline and unpatch only?

My grammar sucks I know but I really need to know this.

TL, LD will I be able to start up the game with an unpatched and offline save file and later on get online and reinstall the update and continue to use the save file or will it force me out just like right now it won't let me play my game because it's offline and unpatched right now?

PLEASE HELP!
>>
>>30218360
You can also use it for lotion for your penis and genitals which restores the nerve feelings from excessive masturbating and it can also help restore the fresh look younger penises had in the past.

Also it feels very nice too trust me I do it each week and my penis is starting to feel much better now.
>>
>>30228326
Download the update and opt into the beta.
>>
>>30219005
Alien gear makes some for lights and lasers
>>
>>30220734
because most people actually carry 9mm, .40 and .45
Why bother with 960/460/10mm unless innawoods or hunting
>>
>>30228326
hey man did you hear they're making DLC
>>
>>30216974
Buda's Wagon: A Brief History of the Car Bomb
>>
In sunlight does tritium still glow?
>>
>>30230293
Yes, but you won't be able to see it.
>>
File: 384076.jpg (165 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
384076.jpg
165 KB, 880x660
>>30219528
>Do railed handguards for ar/ak exist that are all plastic?
Yes, they are generally considered to not be as good.

>And if they do, do optics retain zero when they are mounted to these rails?
Depending on the specific rail being used and how it mounts to the rifle maybe you could use it with a non magnified optic but I probably wouldn't trust it. If it came from a good manufacture it should be fine with lights, grips and other accessories.

>Are metal handguards better than the plastic ones? Which material is the best?
Metal is better, normally they are made out of aluminum.
>>
What's the difference between a bullet and a slug?
>>
>>30216399
If you shot a mid flight RPG rocket, would it explode?
Shotgun shot would be most likely, but I also wanna know about pistol rounds.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.