[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /k/, It's time. Which is the best out of these very
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
Alright /k/, It's time. Which is the best out of these very comparable 9mm striker fire handguns (which AREN'T Glocks)?

H&K VP9, S&W M&P, Walther PPQ, Springfield XD, and the Sig P320.

>inb4 Glock fanboys show up anyways.
>>
>>30215685
XDm with a PRP trigger
>>
>>30215685
If all stock I vote Sig P320
>>
>>30215770
Agreed. The only reservation being the grip profile, which will either work for a user or will not. Having the option of three thicknesses does some good to mitigate that, however.
>>
>>30215770
This.
>>
File: IMG_20160425_201304.jpg (490 KB, 1448x1075) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_201304.jpg
490 KB, 1448x1075
CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS GLOCK TRAIN HERE TO FUCK YOUR SHIT UP
>>
I say M&Ps, they are comfortable, reasonably priced, and reliable. Overall great handguns and think they are a million times better than glock but that is just my opinion.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 736x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 736x460
You already know faggot
>>
>>30215770
Why is is so much cheaper than the other ones? Also, I don't like the trigger as much as the VP9 or the Walther.
>>
I am a biased source but the P320 has been nothing but good to me so far. Great shooter and a quality firearm.
>>
>>30215804
oh god plz no
>>
>>30215685
I know you want there to be a consensus, but these guns are just not different enough from each other for it to come down to anything but personal preference.

The only provisions I would make to that statement are:

1. The standard M&P trigger is kind of average, but if you compare instead the M&P Pro Series, which is still in the same $550 price point, then you've got a slightly better system.

2. I don't know much about XD's, but every XD I have dry-fired in a store had an extremely average trigger (hence why I've never bought one). I do understand that they make a "competition" model which supposedly has a better trigger, but you may want to make sure you handle one before buying in case there is individual sample variation.

3. The Sig P320 (and P320c) balances very poorly, even with a full magazine inserted. People don't often talk about this aspect, but it has bearing on how easily you can get the sights back on target, and how much it bounces in your hand.

4. The triggers on ALL of these guns are over-rated, even what's probably the best, the PPQ. It has a beautifully crisp, light break with virtually no overtravel, but the pre-travel is really gritty and uneven - same story with the VP9, which has a pre-travel so uneven I almost mistook it for the breaking point. The P320 trigger is unique for not having a trigger dingus, but while the break is good for practical purposes, there is a slight annoyance of the break having two distinct, simultaneous clicks, and also being a few pounds heavier than the others. Striker-fired pistols just generally do not have as nice of triggers as hammer-fired pistols. It doesn't have to be that way, but it is.

I will say that I've owned all of these except the XD - and I've also SOLD almost all of them over the years. I am currently selling my last polymer striker-fired 9mm, a PPQ M1, simply because I like my USP Compact with match LEM trigger a lot more, and the PPQ doesn't shoot any better than that gun does.
>>
>>30215685
The VP9 is the best 9mm I have ever shot hands down.
>>
>>30215885
Not OP, but in the market for my first handgun and I have looked at all of these. Thanks for the insight! I think I will go with the PPQ since it felt best in my hand and I have shot it before and liked it a lot. I have heard it is an awesome for home defense, and I plan on getting my CC for it too.
>>
>>30215685
XD's are absolute minimum if you want a decent firearm, the rest are all fine.

why not...

>glock
>>
>>30215685
What is with this trend of pistols looking like fat pigs? What happened to sleek, sexy, sharp looking guns? Why does everything have to look like a pregnant yak?

But to answer your question ... I would prefer a Springfield XDm 4.5 in 9mm.
>>
>>30215987
capacity happened.
>>
>>30215969
My first gun was an XD45 Compact. Still very happy with it, no issues and desu it's the comfiest guns I've held. I'm still a collegepoorfag but have since upgrade to a few Glocks.
>>
I like the XDs and have one in .45 but you can't go wrong with any of those guns.
Comes down to personal preference because they are all going to work about the same.
>>
>>30216004
I am talking about the slide, not the grip. I don't mind a big grip for capacity purposes. I have large hands, it doesn't bother be. But there is absolutely no reason for the slide to be an oversized beast. They make double stack 1911's where the slide is not changed. Everything looks like Fisher Price designed it. They literally look like those chunky children's toys. I fucking hate it.
>>
>>30215941
The only real flaw of the PPQ is the sights, which are polymer and have a rear notch a little too wide for what most people are probably used to. Fortunately, the process of replacing sights on a PPQ is extremely easy and doesn't require any sort of sight pusher or special tools. The bad news is that aftermarket sights are an additional $100+ expense to account for.

Oh, and another thing, not a flaw, but just my preference- the top of the PPQ's slide is contoured such that it's kind of rounded on the top. This means that when racking the slide, you will probably have to change your muscle memory. Instead of just grabbing the slide serrations and pulling back, like you'd expect, you have to grab the slide serrations, PUSH DOWN, and then pull back. Minor, but it is something to think about.

Honestly, if you just want a polymer 9mm striker-fired handgun that will last you, I'd get a Glock 9mm, either a 17 or a 19. The Gen 4's have pretty nice triggers out of the box, and these guns just don't have any real downsides. Yes, Glocks have flaws, but none of those flaws are deal-killers. They are easy to limpwrist, but if you have normal human hands and any degree of training of how to hold a gun, you'll probably never limpwrist it ever. They have plastic sights too, but the sights are low profile and work fine as-is. For putting up with those minor complaints, you get $15 standard capacity magazines, reliable 33 round magazines that barely cost much more, holsters all over the place, so much aftermarket and so much support... as a comparison, if I want a 30 round magazine for my USP Compact, I'd have to spend like $80. Most of these pistols don't even have high cap options available at any price.
>>
>>30216025
>Yes, Glocks have flaws, but none of those flaws are deal-killers.
The grip angle and grip grooves are a deal killer for me.
>>
>>30216019
Sounds like a glock or a cz75 is for you.

have had no issues with size of a firearms slide, unless it was a hi-point or a high bore axis (i'm looking at you sig).
>>
>>30215987
>looking like fat pigs
>look like a pregnant yak
>>30216019
>the slide to be an oversized beast
>Everything looks like Fisher Price designed it.
>They literally look like those chunky children's toys.

Nobody knows what the fuck you're talking about because you are only using shitty metaphors that make no sense. Use descriptive language. Clearly say what you mean. Stop trying to dance around your intended meaning.
>>
No FNS?
>or fns compact if needed
>>
>>30216030
>The grip angle
Literally only matters if you both a) intend to compete with your pistol and b) can't be bothered to train with it. Which is absurd.
>and grip grooves are a deal killer for me.
I forgot about that because Glock finger grooves just happen to fit my own hand so well, which is uncommon for this kind of thing, but you are right. If a handgun has finger grooves that don't fit your hand, there is no reason to waste your time with it. But if they do fit someone's hand, then I see no reason to object on principle.
>>
>>30216042
I don't have any experience with it, or any of FN's guns for that matter. What makes it unique?
>>
>>30216025
That's an interesting point about the sights, I had not heard that before. I have shot Glocks before and I don't know, I just didn't like them for some reason. Didn't feel right to me. I shot my best grouping of the day with a 17, but it just felt awkward. That is why I am looking at other options.

What about price point? I am kinda strapped for cash, so which gun is the best bang for it's buck?

I also fully intend on shooting these guns before I settle on one. There is a place near me which rents them all. The only one I have shot is the Walther.
>>
>>30216349
>I have shot Glocks before and I don't know, I just didn't like them for some reason. Didn't feel right to me. I shot my best grouping of the day with a 17, but it just felt awkward.
It's called training. You need to do more of it and it will feel less awkward after a while.

>What about price point? I am kinda strapped for cash, so which gun is the best bang for it's buck?
The M&P and also the FNS-9 somebody mentioned are probably the cheapest, especially if you buy used, but you're only looking at like $100 difference in price. That's 500 rounds of ammo, which most people would shoot in just two or three trips to the range. It's generally NOT recommended to skimp on your handgun, and is often a sign of low IQ. Can you really not defer gratification for one more paycheck to save up that extra $100?
>>
>>30216370
Yeah, I guess you are right and it is worth it. Ideally this is a gun I will own the rest of my life, so I want to get it right the first time around. There are so many options though and it is really pretty intimidating.
>>
>>30215685
they make real guns for adults no need to buy any of these cheap looking toys
>>
>>30216411
>real guns for adults
such as...?
>>
>>30216437
Deagle brand Deagle
Browning Hi Point
Barret .50 caliber
FN FiveseveN
.44 magnum
>>
>>30216450
>FN FiveseveN
>not a cheap looking plastic toy
wew lad
>>
>>30216450
>Deagle brand Deagle
kek
Right, because that is a "real gun for adults." Not at all for someone who wants to compensate with an impractical and poorly thought out proof-of-concept-gone-wrong.
>>
File: 1463804167672.png (661 KB, 550x740) Image search: [Google]
1463804167672.png
661 KB, 550x740
>>30216450
>Deagle brand Deagle
What are you? some gaudy Arab.
>>
>>30216459
>>30216476
>>30216491
COLT 45.
>>
>>30216497
Not a fan of malt liquor, so I will pass thank you
>>
File: FNS-9.jpg (3 MB, 4272x2848) Image search: [Google]
FNS-9.jpg
3 MB, 4272x2848
>best one isn't even listed

Whatever, I like being obscure.
>>
>>30216497
And two zigzags?
>>
Just get an M&P. They updated the sear housing block and you have a tactile and audible reset. Hands down my favorite striker fired 9. Swapped my Glock 19 out for this thing and I haven't looked back
>>
>>30216698
I find your wooden jiffy stand fascinating.
>>
>>30216834
baby that's all we need
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.