[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could arrows with wood points and duct tape fletching (pic related)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: czbw3jl.jpg (261 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
czbw3jl.jpg
261 KB, 1024x768
Could arrows with wood points and duct tape fletching (pic related) kill small game?

I'm thinking of a WTSHTF scenario where I need to make these arrows to survive.

(IE I have run out of bullets, my regular arrows are broken, I need to use these for frogs or fish to not damage my arrows etc.)

Let me know... I don't want to go out and wound animals, but if these would work, I want to buy the dowels to be ready
>>
If you're that bad off, just make an atlatl. I don't even think you need fletchings then.
As for whether or not sharpened sticks would work, yes. But you want to fire harden the points, and use a hardwood. Dowels are made out of pine usually, which is a soft wood.
>>
>>30208750
slingshot would be better (smaller, ammo is marbles/stones/whatever). the pocketshot is quite interesteing though if i get one i'll nigrig a traditional handle for it. it can do arrows as well witha whisperbiscuit but apparently not massively well.
>>
>>30208750
YES. Blunt wooden arrows were used to kill small game without damaging the hide.
>>
>>30208815
I have several atlatls which require a lot more skill and patience than a bow...

I have access to bulk poplar dowels, and infinite duct tape.

I would only ever use these on small game, frogs and fish.

What do you figure the effective range to be? as they are very light
>>
>>30208819
Rubber wears out over time....

My bug out plan is to go deep in my woods and shelter up, hunting and gathering what I can.
>>
Why not just buy bulk arrows?
>>
Maybe learning how to make traps for small game, that's got to be more time and effort efficient than bow hunting them, right?
>>
>>30209103
Depends on what you're going after. A lot easier to shoot a squirrel than it is to wait it to walk into a trap.
>>
>>30209131
The thing about a trap is you can be doing other shit at the same time.
>>
File: a_raha.jpg (54 KB, 640x351) Image search: [Google]
a_raha.jpg
54 KB, 640x351
>>30209142
Yeah, but squirrel skins are more valuable than whatever shit you can come up with during the day and the continentals fucking love their furs. What do you think this is, the 21st century?
>>
>>30209103
>>30209131
>>30209142
Why not both?

Place some traps then go hunting.
Your chances of getting a squirrel increases.
>>
File: 20112008690.jpg (82 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
20112008690.jpg
82 KB, 600x450
>>30209161
Traps for rabbits, cats, foxes and badgers. Arrows for squirrels and birds.
>>
>>30208750

DESU, you are in a desperate spot if you need to hunt to survive.

That's why staying your house is far the better option, and why you need a bunch of canned and dried food stored up. Just, stay inside until things are good.

If you got the food and a water source like a well, you can last months if not years depending on your storage room.

Is there some kind of crank generator that you can charge a laptop battery with, or something? Solar panel, maybe? You could just stay comfy in your house and watch ponies or whatever all day while everybody ells starves or turns into cannibal gangs.
>>
>>30209597
I live in a small house in the country.
We have a well, but nowhere to store excess canned foods etc.

I'm thinking of building a cellar, however.

I have the resources to last 2 years here currently.
>>
Get a spear. Get good with it.

There, now you have home defense and a hunting tool
>>
>>30208815
atlatl darts need not only fletching, but are damn near more complex than a whole fucking bow.
>>
>>30208851
>hunting and gathering what I can.

every other bubba out there has the same plan. you die, because you and every other fucker who thinks he can hunt and fish his way to sustenance will over hunt/fish local wildlife to the point of extinction.

Most areas don't have wildlife populations to carry the human population, as our populations are sustained by mass industrial agriculture.

A better plan would be to stockpile mass amounts of rice, oil, soy sauce and blocks of dried fish.

All of these things last forever, and you'd be the only top tier japanese chef in the post apocalypse.
>>
>>30209160
>squirrel skins are more valuable

I know you like jokes and shit, but srsly: rawhide and leather would make a very strong cordage compared to shit like nettle with much less effort, so once your 550 cord disappears, you'd have a good source of easy strong rope coming off the backs of animals.
>>
>>30213254
>making cordage out of squirrels and plants when the post-apocalyptic world would be overflowing with textiles and shoelaces
>>
>>30213370
well, with the john rambo bullshit some folks were on about, I doubt they'd be finding many modern materials out in the damn trees.
>>
>>30213426
What else do you expect from /k/
>>
>>30213227

Don't forget seeds, for when you can farm your own shit so its not just canned and dried stuff you are eating.

Don't get Hybrid seeds though, you get random results if you try planting seeds from those plants.

Also, learn how to make acorns edible.
>>
>>30211556
This. 3 prong tip and rubber band material on the back to make an effective polespear.
>>
>>30214117
I have a 5 prong, use it for carp and frogs
>>
>>30213922
if shits hit the fan so hard that a year's supply of cereal grains and cereal grain accessories can't take you through it, just kill yourself. if it's easier to restart agriculture on your own rather than refugee'ing the fuck out, then you're basically dealing with an inevitable extinction event.
>>
>>30214669

No, I meant simply making your diet less shit by providing fresh vegetables.

Plus, if its a 'great depression' type event, growing your own food is a great way of helping get yourself out of poverty... somewhat.
>>
>>30214784
oh okay you're talking about growing supplementals like tomato, peppers, etc...victory garden type shit. yeah, that's a good idea even in normal times.
>>
>>30208750
Yes, but don't even try with anything bigger than a small dog.

Also, consider fire hardening your arrows.

If you really want to be prepared, take up knapping.

No not napping, wake the hell up.

Learn to chip stones like flint and quartz into useful tools. You can make arrowheads out of stone in a pinch.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.