[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/, looking at college and I'm interested in military history.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: ThisMotherfucker.jpg (62 KB, 581x480) Image search: [Google]
ThisMotherfucker.jpg
62 KB, 581x480
/k/, looking at college and I'm interested in military history.

What sorts of classes and majors should I be looking at to become a military historian? Should I go for a generic history majors at whatever university I can get into or are there any non-military schools that have good military history courses?
>>
You're not getting a job with a liberal arts degree, op. Which is exactly what you're asking about
>>
>>28284454
Don't unless you think you think you'll enjoy being poor in your 40s. Get a useful degree.
>>
>>28284461

You can get a job with almost any degree as long as you know how to sell the advantages it gives you. Masters in history? You're probably amazing at researching and summerizing complex ideas. Lit? Great at abstract thinking and reading between the lines. Women's studies? You're probably really good at screaming at people.

Okay, Women's studies is still a joke, but you get the idea. Its not the degree, its how you use what it taught you. I make ~80k before taxes working for a major bank. I majored in Museum Studies, but I was able to leverage skills that I learned getting that useless liberal arts degree to make myself look attractive.
>>
File: 1450305352572.jpg (28 KB, 480x581) Image search: [Google]
1450305352572.jpg
28 KB, 480x581
History major with no teaching aspirations here;

Don't waste your time bro, not only am I certainly not going to do anything related to this shit, but why would you want to? 99% of people couldn't give a fuck less about history.

41K in debt and years down the drain for nothing. Fuck college, learn a trade
>>
>>28284485
Or you could get a real degree and study military history in your spare time
>>
>>28284504
This.
>>
>>28284504

I had four friends drop out of college because they went for "useful" degrees that they were completely disinterested in.

If you're passionate about a subject you're more likely to excel at it. I've always enjoyed history so the classes I took for Museum Studies were fun and interesting for me. Because of that I graduated with a great GPA and recommendations from several professors. (It was actually the friend of one of my professors that got me my current job.)
>>
>>28284523
So you have retarded friends? Cool. And you got a job because of a good ol boys club? Cool
>>
>>28284537
Were you gang raped by a bunch of people with liberal arts degrees?
>>
>>28284504
Because you'll probably be a shit historin then
>>
>>28284537
Are you retarded? Connections are also important for STEM sperglords
>>
>>28284523

Well yeah, don't pick a major JUST because job prospects are good, but it should be a factor

And also keep in mind that being passionate about a subject does not always translate to being engaged when you're studdyingg that subject in a classroom taught by disinterested old men. I ducking love military history and went into college thinking I was gonna minor in it. 2 history classes later I never wanted to attend another history lecture again
>>
>>28284537
Hey man, I'm studying environmental engineering even though it started out at just kind of a "useful" degree for me to get and it's growing on me. I'm a senior now and designing water treatment plants for poor Asians and this shit actually kicks ass.
>>
>>28284658
this was supposed to go to >>28284523
>>
>>28284537

lmao connections are basically mandatory to get any kind of decent job senpai

yes, that even goes for STEM sperglords
>>
It's just a good, solid tank
>>
>>28284490
lol fucking loser, should've did IT or something you could've already been working in hiroshima by now like all my weeaboo fag friends
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 349x389) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 349x389
>>28284485
>Women's studies? You're probably really good at screaming at people.
>>
>>28284490
You can go to college for more than just career aspirations you know.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.