[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legitimate /k/ question here… How feasible is pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: bfg.jpg (1 MB, 2382x2191) Image search: [Google]
bfg.jpg
1 MB, 2382x2191
Legitimate /k/ question here…

How feasible is pic related? I mean, Doom takes place way in the future, where there are handheld WMD’s and plasma weapons. Hell, even the standard pistol basically fires superheated plasma using some sort of disintegrating gel cartridge.

Would a belt-fed .50 caliber assault rifle make sense in the far-off future as a standard weapon? For the sake of the argument, we can assume that weapon technology has improved greatly, so we can mitigate the inherent problems that a modern weapon system might have with a handheld 50 BMG machine gun like recoil management, weight, & accuracy. Could it be feasible?
>>
>>30201081
You're failing to take into account how much the ammo itself weighs. Yeah you could probably shrink a platform down to shoot .50 BMG into something that's fine to carry, but carrying any worthwhile amount of ammo is what will be the killer.

I'm sure a .50 can be redesigned with less power to allow more ammunition to be carried, but it will still be heavy as fuck. Do you think you're going to reload 50 rounds of .50 BMG with you off hand?
>>
>>30201081
>How feasible is pic related?

Lets see..

boullets>
yes
>canon
yeees
>Space for firing mechanism
yes.

So... I guess I can say that there is 90% probability that is feasible.

But, is feasable the feasibility of the feasable technology for such a gun without implementing it somewhere else more efficiently?

now thats the question.
>>
It makes sense in Doom where 15 ft tall demons are standard encounters, its needless IRL when a .338 belt fed (if you really have your mind set on big bullet) would do the same thing but lighter and more compact munitions.
>>
>>30201124
Still failing to take into account the weight of the ammunition itself. I would imagine an exo-skeleton of some sort could assist with that, but I doubt even the strongest body builders could continuously reload 50 rounds of .50 BMG with their off hand
>>
>>30201128

What I wonder is that since the creators though that weigh was never a problem... why not add a 20 mm shoulder automatic cannon?

why not make doomguy just a tank?
>>
>>30201145

I was going to say

>caseless ammo.

But then the ammo is not casseless in OP pics, although we can safely bet that doomguy has superstrengh just by the ammount of ammo he carries around.

A few pouches of .50 might be the lightest part of his inventory.
>>
>>30201174
The other thing though is that these are obviously standard issue weapons doomguy is picking up and using.
>>
File: chaingun.png (273 KB, 1000x359) Image search: [Google]
chaingun.png
273 KB, 1000x359
>>30201148
Well since you asked, here's the description for the chaingun...bretty awesome shit...
>>
>>30201214
>>30201148
shit forgot the description, sorry.

>The Delta-12 Chaingun (often referred to as "The D12" by operatives), is a high velocity heavy weapon capable of suppressing multiple targets at once. Recent changes to the firing mechanism have pushed the Delta-12 to the physical limits of a ballistic weapon. An Argent infused piston compresses gas within the firing crucible to over 220,000 PSI. When released, this launches a 15mm Tungsten Slug with a muzzle velocity of nearly 5,000 feet per second. The heat generated by this action is syphoned into a thermal gel compound that automatically recharges the 96volt battery pack. This allows the weapon to sustain an almost endless firing cycle, as long as ammunition is present. The Delta-12 Chaingun weighs 45kg, making it a lethal but cumbersome armament.
>>
>>30201145
It's only really seen wielded by UAC guards and doomguy, so maybe it's a weapon that is exclusively fielded by power-suit personnel. Kind of like the 120mm "sniper rifles" that gundams use.
>>
>>30201216
>15 mm
>45 kg.

off by 5.

well 20 mm ammo weighs as much as 269 G and the wiki says that doomguy can carry 210 rounds, 210*269G= 56,49 Kg of ammo, plus the 45 kg= 101,49 kg of ammo and gun around without taking into account the armor, the rest of the equipment and if doomguy is carrying another gun at the moment.

A quick google search told me that the heaviest medieval armor is around 23 kg, just for reference.

So, doomguy is carrying around more than his own weigh, while killing demons left and right and running. This clearly means that he is using an exosqueleton or is genetically modified.

Or is just that badass...
>>
File: 1460175823785.jpg (15 KB, 307x462) Image search: [Google]
1460175823785.jpg
15 KB, 307x462
>>30201216
Why does it share the ammo with the assault rifle tho?
>>
>>30201081
>How feasible is pic related?

It's obviously some retarded shit designed by a noguns twenty-something living in a blue state. Why are you wasting our time with this?
>>
File: 1462542157499.jpg (39 KB, 344x344) Image search: [Google]
1462542157499.jpg
39 KB, 344x344
>>30201312
no idea lore wise but most likely a take over from doom 1 and 2 when the pistol and chaingun used the same ammo. Since the pistol is now infinite ammo the assault rifle takes its place.
>>
>>30201081
It is feasible if your doomguy.

If you're not doomguy or at least not a chaos warrior then don't even attempt to wield that kind of weaponry, just be a supporting character like everybody else
>>
>>30201282
Well, that's a bit of a bunny trail. I'm just wondering if the weapon makes sense contextually.

I mean, god knows how doomguy carries 7+ weapons at the same time, plus ammo, plus grenades and other shit.
>>
>>30201315
maybe you should kill yourself? just a suggestion.
>>
>>30201315
It's summertime
>>
>>30201374

Well I think they already answered you.

>Is it feasable?
yes
>Is it the mos efficient option?
>>30201128

because is bethesda they had to actually write something for the thing, and both the writer and the artist knew that they had to design it in a way that screamed brutallity over everything, the result? A lot of unnecesary things for aesthetic and the use of what everybody thinks is the most powerfull caliber in existence for infantry: .50.

I mean, if the game didn't told you that caliber could be 7,62 and no one could notice.

>>30201407

We also get vidya threads on winter and spring.
>>
>>30201374
Doomguy is basically a demi-god, he's feared by the demons of hell for his ability to rip and tear, I'm pretty sure he has no problem carrying the weight around.
Were talking about a dude who can yank limbs off of creatures four times his size, with his bare hands and beat them to death with them.
>>
>>30201407
god forbid we have a fun thread about fictional weaponry in a beloved franchise. lets have another AR vs AK thread, woudl that make you happy? or maybe an abrams thread. can't get enough of that "real" stuff.
>>
>>30201464

I think both the punisher and doomguy are diferent interpretations of the /k/ube, the /k/est thing ever except that doomguy is just too much of a blank character to get the apreciation he deserves.
>>
>>30201487
not anymore. canonically he's a marine given the strength of an angel to kill demons for the rest of time, across all dimensions, simply because he's so angry.
>>
>>30201506
Angry over his bunny.

/an/ vengeance.
>>
>>30201081
it looks stupid heavy.

Like engineers in the distant future just became lazy as fuck.

That being said, it is probably still comparatively lighter than a vehicle mounted .50, and if they were made for someone super stronger or wearing a mechanised suit, that would explain the ridiculous laziness of the design in terms of weight.

But realistically, this far into the future we'll probably have some kind of super-polymer that doesn't even think of fracturing due to the force of the action, meaning everything but the barrel and bolt will be polymer or ceramic.
>>
>>30201081
The stock looks way too close to the pistol grip, like it telescopes but hasn't been pulled out.
>>
>>30201124
>is feasable the feasibility of the feasable technology

Look who just learned a new word.
>>
>>30201081
As seen when first picking it up, you can't actually take the magazine out, and the charging handle is behind the entire system.

TL;DR

No, it's not possible, neither are those stupid useless weak little rockets you can put on either.
>>
>>30201148

No need, doomguy already can fire a minigun, rocket launcher and like 5 other weapons at once.

Motherfucker alone could make the entire US military worthless.

The real question should be " why don't we make more doomguys ? "
>>
>>30202237
DooM guy isn't DOOM guy.

Completely different people, although it's theorized that the doomguy from Doom 64 is DOOM guy because he was last seen stuck in hell, and the armor is different because it's said ( for some reason) that the armor was modified and improved by hell, and further enhanced by USC when the robot guy got him.
>>
>>30202989
It's hinted it's the same, Doom64 is a soft follow up of Final doom in the prologue. The last chapter of 2.5D game.

Hugo deliberately made it open for fans. I like the idea it's the same person.
>>
>>30201282
If I remember correctly, there's a piece of lore early in the game that actually states the armor doubles as a powered exoskeleton. Also proven more likely when you jump from high ledges and you get that "Impact Assistance" message or whatever when you land.

Plus, the Doom marine is like, 300lbs of pure muscle, so there's that too. I mean, the guy can rip the horn right off of a Baron. HE CAN TEAR THE ASS OFF A PINKY AND KILL SAID PINKY WITH IT. DOOM MARINE 2016
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.