[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it dangerous to fire a 22 LR into the air? I have a bunch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: 1461007635209.jpg (54 KB, 640x731) Image search: [Google]
1461007635209.jpg
54 KB, 640x731
Is it dangerous to fire a 22 LR into the air? I have a bunch of birds that sit outside my bedroom window chirping their fucking brains out at 4 am every day.

I know that firing larger calibers into the air is dangerous because they maintain enough energy to kill someone when falling.

But the 22lr has less propellant and also a smaller projectile, could it also harm someone on its way down?

second question, would subsonic 22 be loud enough to wake my neighbors up? (I live in a rural area so not densely populated)
>>
>>30200190
a 22lr bullet/projectile only weighs like half of a penny
>>
>>30200190
Use birdshot for birds you idjit.

Also that image is retarded, why would the CIA go through the trouble of greenscreening a desert when they could literally go to any proper desert (because who would stop them) to film it there, at a fraction of the cost?
>>
It was New Years, and I had only a few shots of whiskey, not enough to get myself drunk.
I decided to bring my ruger 22lr revolver out to do a little bit of celebratory shooting. It was all very safe, I fired it into the air so no one was hurt. But then when I was fanning the gun cowboy style, my stupid glove got caught in between the hammer. The fucking gun went off when I was trying to get the glove out of there and a round into one of my neighbor's house. The bitch got mad and called the cops on me. Was charged with endangerment and discharging a firearm within city limits! Bullfuckingshit.
Now I have legal shit to deal with because of the stupid flawed ruger piece of shit trash and over reacting faggot neighbors.
I mean, it was only .22lr, they fucking blew it way out of proportion, at least it wasn't 5.56, holy fuck.
>>
>>30200190
Well as far as physics goes, if the .22 leaves the barrel at... say 1,300fps up into the air, it will come back down with the same velocity. The chances of actually hitting someone on its way down, slim to none.
>>
>>30200592
because in order to send a message to the target retarded population ("it was all a hoax"), you have to spoonfeed with exaggeration.
If OP pic were them in a desert with CIA camera guy, dumb people might not get it.
>>
You could also open the window and fucking yell at them to shut up

My neighbor does this and it works pretty well.

The side effect is now I have a neighbor who yells shut the fuck up every day at 5am.
>>
The cia actually hired Kubrick to direct but he's such a perfectionist that he insisting on beheading his actors.
>>
>>30200190
Very dangerous, be smart and buy a pellet rifle if you want to do such things relatively safely.
Something like a gamo whisper or something else with silencer would do the trick.
>>
>>30200592
cgi is more real than real life now
>>
>>30200623
You're a faggot
>>
>>30200630
>what is terminal velocity
>>
>>30200190
Why not just use bird shot? They make some .22lr shot shells too.
>>
>>30201115
>using birdshot
>with a rifled barrel
try it and tell me how well that works out for you outside of 5 feet
>>
>>30201247
and I should add that a friend of mine has a smooth bore 22 for that so the pattern is ok, I've even used it semi effectively at the skeet range
>>
File: 562.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>30200623
sell your guns and jump off a bridge please
>>
Get 22 CB caps or .22 shorts
>>
>>30201030
it will only tumble with complete terminal velocity if it's shot perfectly at 90 degrees, otherwise it will maintain at least some of its velocity in an arc. mythbusters did an episode on this actually.
>>
>>30201247
How much range do you really need to take out birds that sit outside your window?
>>
File: 1464724704865.jpg (25 KB, 411x419) Image search: [Google]
1464724704865.jpg
25 KB, 411x419
ITT: sissy little faggot can't handle birds or making his own decisions about guns
>>
>>30200623
7/10 bait; you nearly got me. The last sentence was just JUST over the top enough to clue me. Dial it back a half notch, you're getting good. Not that trolling this board is hard. /k/ is entry level troll training.

>>30200190
Its no more or less dangerous than other calibers. It being small doesn't help in this case, I'm afraid.
Do you have a .22 revolver or single shot rifle? If so, use a pair of needlenose pliers and pull the bullet on one. Either stick some cotton or paper in there to hold the powder, or if you want extra quiet because of your pesky neighbors, pour powder out and go primer only.
If you get within a foot or 2 you may be able to stun a bird pretty good. Perhaps not. Either way, it is going to be loud enough to remove worm. For how long, I could not tell you. And since birds seem to be some of the dumbest critters in the animal kingdom (yes I know about crows, obvious exception) you would likely have to do this again. Either every day for a week or so til they carch on, or after they spook maybe once every couple weeks as a reminder.

Now, if it was myself, I would approach the situation in a different way.

I would head to wal mart or amazon. Pick out an airsoft gun. Doesn't need to be especially powerful, the goal is not hunting. I would probably order from amazon so I could check out reviews. Because the goal for me is accuracy.

I tend to turn this sort of thing into a game, my ex-wife hated it. And as you can perhaps tell, I am telling you something I did myself, in a similar situation when ex was pregnant.

This is turning into a long story that likely nobody wants to read lol. Plink at them, OP. If anyone is interested let me know I suppose; when I can use my tablet instead of my phone in an hour, I will type up my story of the escalating war against the early birds.
>>
>>30200190
>muh muh muh birdies so loud
Man up bitch nigga
>>
>>30201329
You better fuckin post it.
>>
>>30200190
Just get a pellet gun.
>>
File: 1464335483325.jpg (49 KB, 496x720) Image search: [Google]
1464335483325.jpg
49 KB, 496x720
>>30201357
Ok, senpai, I got you guys. Keep the thread alive for a couple hours.
>>
>>30200190
Songbirds are protected, yes even fkn noisy mockingbirds. But blackbirds are freeters.
>>
>>30200592
Because conspiracy nuts don't run on the same logic we do
>>
>>30200654
Pfft
>>
>>30201329
>>30200903
>>30201284
I so goddamn wish I saved that thread. It was a thread where the OP was being hammered in the ass by everyone on his stupidity.
>>
>>30200190
>birds are noisy
>I need to shoot them/at them
Alright, anon, listen to me. Know when yurofags make fun of Americans? Most of the times it makes no sense. But this, this is the sort of shit that gives them reasons to make fun of american reasoning.

Birds will not vacate the area because of a few warning shots or a few dead birds. Either
a) soundproof your home somewhat better, for fuck's sake, birds should not bother you so much
or
b) got spare money? always wanted a pet? Time to train a fucking bird of prey, mate. That's what airports use to scare birds away. It works. It's the only thing that works short of scorched earth.

You'll be the psycho with a falcon. Dead rare songbirds everywhere? Sorry officer, falcon is very territorial, he din du nuffin.
>>
>>30201329
Keeping the thread alive to know why this anon is divorced
>>
>>30200190
if they are low enough set up a water sprinkler on timer to start shortly before the bird orchestra starts. Set it to run for ten or twenty minutes.
>>
>>30200623
pls be fake
>>
>>30202427
>soundproofing
>getting a falcon
It'd be cheaper and easier for him to get a cat.
>>
>>30202712
BUT CAN A CAT FLY
>>
>>30202719
It can sneak and doesn't cost several hundred dollars, it's also easy to take care of.
>>
>>30200630
It would fall at approximately 54 m/s
>>
>>30200623
I remember when you made a bait thread about this in January. Supposedly he bullet hit yor neighbors kids room right?
>>
>>30200190
I did it, but the next day found out that my grandparents neighbors had a .22 round go through their window. They can travel a mile and I live about 5 min away from their house so you tell me.
>>
>>30202719
it's pretty simple to buy a cat launching device. I'm not sure how the ATF would classify that though.
>>
>>30200630
Unless he's shooting el cheap HV shit, try more like 1050fps. However, it's important to realize in the ~15 seconds it will take to reach the ground it will have lost a SIGNIFICANT portion of its energy to fluid resistance.
>>30201302
This is not how terminal velocity works. If anything you lose the least energy straight up 90° because the bullet is taking the shortest path back to the ground.
>>
>>30202841
I don't know, I copypasta'd it.
I really should've screencapped the whole thread, because I seriously don't think it was bait, the guy was arguing the whole 200+ reply thread and the stupidity was consistent.
>>
Get some airshit.
>>
>>30200190
>I want to shoot birds for being birds

Idiots like you shouldn't own firearms.
>>
>>30200190
well a falling .22 LR wont kill you, but i would be pissed it one hit me
>>
Go to the hardware store

Go to nailer section

Grab a box of 22 mag drive rounds

Load into 22wmr chamber

Voila, Cheap blank ammo.

Too loud? Cut the paint and drain some powder off
>>
File: little badger 9 flobert.jpg (20 KB, 1600x411) Image search: [Google]
little badger 9 flobert.jpg
20 KB, 1600x411
Get a 9mm flobert.
>>
>>30203583
Or just take pliers and pull the bullet off a 22lr, crimp it or jam toilet paper in it. Fucking idiot.

Unless you want to kill them, then pellet gun. Some are even "suppressed"
>>
>>30201329
Come on you bitch
>>
>>30202937
There is no fkn wai a 22lr fired from a pistol is going to travel 5,280 feet, oh wait i dropped my ruger outta my cessna.
>>
>>30200190
Get a fucking pellet-gun, anon.
>>
>>30201808
>yes even fkn noisy mockingbirds
Fucking Atticus
>>
>>30201329
>This is turning into a long story that likely nobody wants to read lol. Plink at them, OP. If anyone is interested let me know I suppose; when I can use my tablet instead of my phone in an hour, I will type up my story of the escalating war against the early birds.
I just know this anon will deliver at some point
>>
>>30201247
Are you fucking retarded? Why do you think they call it bird shot?
>>
>>30209407
Did you read the
>rifled barrel
part?

Because birdshot spreads like crazy with a rifled bore.
>>
>>30200190
Play the long game. Poison them with lead pellets. Gleefully watch over 10 years as the entire bird population slowly become extinct. Finish what the K/T extinction event started.
>>
>>30200190
fyi that pic is stupid
If the CIA wanted to sell a war. They'd just straight up actually execute people on camera
They wouldn't go through the bullshit of staging anything
>>
>>30200630
What is air?
>>
>>30201398
That's a big weasel. They don't taste so good for you.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.