[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How shit is the Mosin really?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Russian_Star.gif (16 KB, 300x282) Image search: [Google]
Russian_Star.gif
16 KB, 300x282
Hey /k/ommandos,

I recently picked up a shotgun as my first gun and now am wanting a rifle but I'm saving for school so I'm pretty poor.

Guy posted an ad at my gun club for a Mosin 91/30 for 150 bucks.

Are they OK for under 100 yards or are they really that shit? I only do bush hunting so I don't need alot of range.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pbquj-6MVc

Don't blame the gun for your shitty shooting skills.
>>
They were cheap and ammo was cheap... The quality to dollar ratio keeps spreading to the point it would be better to get a polymer hunting rifle in a common caliber now. $150 isn't bad if it isn't too beat up...
>>
>>30199996
Make sure the barrel isn't fucked
>>
They are pretty shit. x54R ammo used when they were in service was corrosive. Most are shot out. Or crowns will be destroyed from cleaning. Ammo is getting more expensive too.

Better off with a store brand copy of an American rifle. Like Ted Williams, sears, Montgomery Wards, etc. These were Marlin and Winchesters sold and marketed by those stores. Can be had for half the price of a branded gun. Winchester 94 for $200. Is good.
>>
>>30199996
They're literally as good as any other WWII-era bolt-action rifle, perhaps even better if you want to take into account durability.

>Are they OK for under 100 yards or are they really that shit?
Unless you're fucking retarded, which is more of a problem with you rather than the gun.

Stop falling for neo-/k/ memes.
>>
>>30200163
It's hard to not fall for the memes because there's the people who praise it as the best shit ever and then you got the people who call it an absolute abortion.

It's greatness is a meme as much as the meme that it's shit
>>
>>30199996
>How shit is the Mosin really?
It's not that bad, but it's also not that amazing either.

The thing is, a lot of the 91/30 rifles were kind of clumsily refurbished after WW2, you'll have to do a bit of work on them to get them going, sometimes a common issue is that the cocking spring is one or to coils too long, you can either use a clipper to shorten it by two coils, or get a replacement.

Also, they were caked in Cosmoline, a rust preventative, this made sure they were preserved for decades and decades, but if you get a gun that's fresh from the storage, you'll see some thick and waxy brown goop on and in the gun and what not, and you need to get this shit out because it'll get in the way of the gun working well.

Once you've verified that the spring is alright, or have fixed it, and once you have verified that the cosmoline is cleaned out, or have cleaned it out (thoroughly), this should solve any potential problem you get with "sticky bolt"

>Are they OK for under 100 yards or are they really that shit?
They should, I would verify that the bore isn't a sewerpipe before buying it though, sometimes you'll find a gun that was shot with a lot of surplus ammo and never got cleaned, and the bore is just fucked up beyond repair and you get a keyhole device.

The real big sellingpoint of the Nagant is that it was cheap, durable and powerful enough.

>>30200163
>perhaps even better
I wouldn't say that, they're about Carcano tier (which isn't awful), Enfield, Springfield and Mauser are all much nicer rifles, I'd argue that the Mauser is stonger even.
>>
>>30199996
It's fine. Has some advantages over other systems, and some problems others do not. It ultimately comes down to preferences and what you like.
>>
>>30199996
It was a better deal when the gun was $100 and ammo was 20c/r after shipping.
But it's still a solid and decent rifle at a good price, just not as good as it used to be. It'll still out shoot you using cheaper surplus ammo unless you're some sort of crazy good shot.
Just try to find one with a good bore, then make sure to spray oil down both ends of the barrel then snake it at minimum and you shouldn't get any rust. And a bore brush on a rod works good for the chamber. All in all, it should only take a few mins unless you go crazy with water etc.
>>
File: Zmp12Il.gif (2 MB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Zmp12Il.gif
2 MB, 350x350
>>30199996
I got my Mosin Nagant for 169$ in excellent condition. No visible barrel damage, no rusting anywhere on the metal, no wood damage, matching serials that link back to a USSR Captain (NOT SERGEI MOSIN), stock plate had a 5x killnote in it and the Cosmoline wasn't absolutely cascading.

In all honesty, I'm a decent shooter, but I bet it still outpreforms me.

Keep that in mind - Most platforms will outshoot the shooter. This is exceptionally appearant in 700+$ rifles meant for long range shooting, but where you finally start to see it is in 1400+$ long range platforms. If you're meh at shooting, just understand the Mosin will still outpreform you.
>>
I own 10 mosin nagants and 2 of them have worn barrels. I have them for collecting purposes. The others are all very nice shooters, especially my finn nuggets. 1.5moa is not uncommon for my m39.
>>
>>30199996
It's a late 1800's bolt action rifle, and it doesn't use a mauser system, it's okay, just gets the job done, nothing else
>>
Finnish M39 is better than any bolt action rifle ever made. That's a fact,not an opinion.
>>
I have three mosins, a wartime 91/30, a M44, and a 1923 Dragoon.

All of them are more than capable of hitting a 10in gong at 400yrds. I reload for them, because surplus ammo is unreliable trash.

They are good range toys, and I've never had any problems with them I could not fix. I have never hunted with mine, but I know people who have. With the right ammo, they are more than enough for hog/deer/black bear.
>>
>>30202155
Mas 36 says otherwise.
>>
>>30202235

At one of my LGS yesterday they had a MAS36 on the used shelf that I hadn't seen before. I almost couldn't pull out my wallet fast enough when I saw the price was $225.

Then I looked at the barrel, and something didn't look quite right. So I asked the guy behind the counter what the deal was. It took some prodding, but eventually he revealed the secret.

The gun had been rechambered by a crazy old fella to his favorite wildcat, 30-284.

I more or less fled the store at that point.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.