[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever been shot at/pinned down by a sniper? What happened,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 20
File: b-war-blog-13.jpg (27 KB, 410x269) Image search: [Google]
b-war-blog-13.jpg
27 KB, 410x269
Have you ever been shot at/pinned down by a sniper?

What happened, how are enemy snipers typically dealt with?
>>
there are no snipers, only isolated enemy riflemen

you shouldn't be scared of an isolated enemy rifleman should you?
>>
>>30198151
What's the difference? Sniper is just a moniker I guess but still
>>
>>30198140
Pop smoke, have a cup of tea, fuck that counts day up.
>>
>>30198168
Morale? I'd rather hear it's some lone goat fucked with an AK than a sniper.
>>
>>30198168
Sniper is someone who relies on accuracy and concealment, working alone or in a small team.
It's about method & skill. Not equipment, long range, optics or such.
>>
>>30198178
That's true I guess.
>>
>>30198140
Pop smoke, find cover, discover where he is & call in something big that goes boom on his head.
>>
>>30198171
>>30198194
The American and the Brit.
>>
>>30198168
WW2 post- D-Day thing, official orders to refer to 'snipers' as 'isolated enemy riflemen' and deal with them accordingly, advance and engage instead of go to ground

probably resulted in more casualties but didn't slow down the advance as much, so actually resulted in a lower overall effect that the sniper had

unless you were one of the guys who got shot when they could have rolled up a tank and took the shooter out that is, but hey, military logic
>>
I love the movie full metal jacket for their sniper portrayal. The VC sniper is a lone women with an un-modified AKM. Yet she uses it in a snipers capacity, making it a sniper's rifle. A lone enemy rifleman is no different than a sniper and everyone knows you mean sniper when you say lone enemy rifleman. For the sake of brevity, why not just say sniper
>>
>>30198178

note, 'sniper' is an emotive term, many other languages refer to them as 'sharpshooters' (German) or similar, which sounds far more skillful and less murderer or copy/pasta special forces nutjob
>>
>>30198213
Morale?
>>
>>30198171

>Having a tactical aladin flask in your webbing for such an eventuality.

Life is good.
>>
>>30198223

yes, and

>>30198204

you take out a sniper by rushing them (flanking, suppressing etc etc as they eventually did in FMJ) or just moving on, they are only effective when holding up an advance either by hitting a critical asset (officer, equipment etc, far easier if you hold position again, as in FMJ) or by stopping you doing your job as a unit

one sniper can hold up a whole company, one isolated enemy rifleman can kill a few guys before being killed, captured or bypassed as the unit moves on
>>
>>30198241
I think you missed the point of the reply earlier that a sniper, and an isolated rifleman are one and the same it just spends on how they use their weapon.
>>
File: just_bane_things.jpg (808 KB, 1831x2000) Image search: [Google]
just_bane_things.jpg
808 KB, 1831x2000
We got held down on a few occasions from afar. I just send the lowest rank out so we can see where the shots are coming from to shoot back instead of bothering with getting a spotter element in. It's a lot easier to write a letter to some grunt's parents detailing how "heroic" and "brave" their dumb son was than it is to heal from a gunshot.
>>
>>30198140
Yes. They'd run around from building to building with a hammer and knock a hole in a wall, take a shot at us, throw the hammer and rifle in a blanket and wrap it up and move locations.

Sometimes they operated alone and sometimes had spotters. Or left their shit hidden and did their own spotting. After we took a few shots once I saw one clear as day looking at us with binoculars and was ready to shoot his ass. My platoon commander was with and ordered me not to shoot. They abuse our ROEs to hide in plain sight. It was bullshit not a few minutes later a good friend of mine had a close call.
>>
This doesn't belong in this thread...but it's sniper related-ish.

>be me as a kid, about 13
>have lots of friends
>favorite thing to do is buy airshit and play soldier in the woods
>the literal game was called "Soldier inna woods."
>we'd send one person into the trees with the best airshit we had, and an hour to get ready for the assault.
>one day some older kid (about 15.) came to play with us. We knew him pretty well, just didn't hang out much.
>he said he had his own funs, and he would volunteer to be the first Soldier Inna Woods
>"yeah ok cool man!"
>kid runs into the treeline
>Me and about 8 of my friends gear up.
>Talking 13year old level tactics
>painting our faces with bright green paint
>this matters.
>Finally his hour is up and we run into the woods in an unorganized mob screaming, with bright green "camo" facepaint.
>One friend and I get separated. from the others. But we stay close.
>We're crawling through leaves making loud crunchy noises.
>we stop to loudly whisper about what to do.
>then we hear a strange noise
>a very distant "clink"
>then a very close, loud pop
>"Dafu-"
>I get hit in the fucking face
>I'm rolling around on the ground screaming because it hit right under my eye protection, in the soft spot above you cheekbone

Cont.
>>
>>30198264
Things that didn't happen.
>>
>>30198254
and how they operate

a genuinely isolated enemy rifleman is a thing to be pitied and tidied up, they are desperate and alone, if possibly fanatical (WW2 Japs tied to trees etc) but ultimately a dead end

a genuine sniper is a skilled adversary and should have initiated the engagement, have a plan to exfiltrate, continue to engage and could be part of a larger group of shooters/spotters

Imagine writing your war memo - "American Isolated Rifleman" doesn't sound quite so cool does it...
>>
>>30198269
Go on anon
>>
>>30198291
"American Long Range Rooty Tooty Point N Shooty" is a superior title though.
>>
>>30198264
Why lie on the Internet?
>>
>>30198140
We got shot at a few different times by a lone gunman with good aim. In fact, once we were at a stop on a trail outside a village and a guy got popped right in the front of his helmet and went down. However, the shot had been from such long range that the helmet actually saved him; the bullet was lodged perfectly halfway inside his helmet.

We would return fire and move up while the DMs looked to make more accurate point shots. The insurgent was pretty smart though, and always fired from long distance, either across a river or from a mountain where he surely retreated behind. He never stuck around for more than a few shots and didn't get into protracted firefights with us.

He was eventually killed incidentally when a resupply ground convoy was planned to come through our area (rare, since most of our resupplies were by air), and we were all on edge due to the rare nature of using the roads extensively. It was night time and there were a number of LP/OPs as well as helicopters with FLIR out and about. They caught sight of this guy from the air and Hellfire'd him to death. An element on an LP/OP went to check it out and picked the SVD off his body.
>>
>>30198264
Why are you lying?
>>
>>30198291
Well obviously when writing a memo you would want to glamorized it. But if your in combat with other guys you don't want them losing their shit thinking there's some afghan Chris Kyle out there waiting for them.
>>
>>30198300
American Sniper 2: American Teamkiller

it is a short film
>>
>>30198269
>My friend starts looking at me trying to check my face
>we lock eyes
>I see the next shot impact him in the cheek as well
>he does as I am currently doing
>rolling around screaming
>We realize we're both bleeding as well
>this kid want shooting us with airshit
>he was out hiding with an actual BB gun that he was VERY good with.
>Our other friends hear our high pitched squealing and come running
>He used us as bait.
>my first friend to move forward to try and help us got Gump'd
>He immediately grabbed his ass and stood up straight bouncing around crying yelling "STOPSTOP", he was hit 4 more times all over his body. He finally wised up and just dove into the dirt with us like a sack of bricks, he just collapsed on our laps
>crying softly.
>my 5 other friends finally realized what was going on
>one of them, Jesse, the little fucking coward, ran home. He just dropped his shit and ran.
>Ok down to 7 of us.
>3 of us are bleeding, crying for our moms, or both. I was the both.
>My 4 friends who were left did something that amazes me to this day...
>they handed Ben the battery operated "machine gun." and had him start giving cover fire
>then the next three just rushed towards where the Soldier Inna Woods was.
>I didn't see what happened, but I heard it.
>I hear one friend start screaming about his face (damn that lime green face paint.)
>but then I heard the older kid start screaming
>My two friend who reached him ran out of ammo
>and he was up in a tree
>they pelted him with rocks until he fell a good ten feet
>then then I heard lots of grunting and crying, and strange thudding noises
>my friend who got shot on the brave zerg rush started smacking him with the butt of his airshitter.
>then Ben the "machine gunner" walked over and unloaded a bunch of plastic bb's into the kid's ass.

We all got grounded.
>>
File: american_paslrt.jpg (278 KB, 1200x747) Image search: [Google]
american_paslrt.jpg
278 KB, 1200x747
>>30198338
>>
>>30198340
Beautiful.

I'm not even sure who I want to root for in this situation.
>>
>>30198213
She had a Vz-58, fag.
>>
>>30198340
>find the sniper
>beat him
kek
>>
>>30198340

only time I've been paintballing I got the highest kill count, exclusively shooting people in the head/face. Wasn't trying to be edgy, just automatically targeted the head at that range

including one of my own team, but she had got out of position and wasn't following the plan, ended up doubling back alongside the enemy team and got herself shot, I count it as a legitimate kill

women in combat eh?
>>
>>30198372
Now that I'm older, I fucking root for the kid who was using effective cover and concealment, then used a bb gun that he snuck past us to shoot 2 of s and then use us as bait.

>>30198387
Yeah. It was pretty metal.

>>30198396
Well, he wouldn't have been able to do that had we not been wearing fucking lime green paint on our faces.
>>
>sniper engages infantry
>infantry takes cover
>Abrams rolls around corner
>HEAT round and sniper have a brief discussion
>HEAT round is very convincing
>sniper excuses himself from existence
>>
>>30198319
>7.62x54R
>stopped by helmet
>even at range
>>
>>30198340
10/10 story. Cheered me right the fuck up.
>>
>>30198567
Could be ricochet, could be it tagged the helmet but not his head, could be he did fire at extreme range, like Afghans are known to do.
Stop being a fag.
>>
>>30198567
Yes. Unusual things happen. It was from very far range which likely accounted for it being stopped. I know it was 54r because it was barely deformed in the helmet. Helmets certainly aren't rated to stop rifles, but it does happen given the right combination of variables.
>>
>>30198140
>implying haji can aim
>>
Yes and they were typically dealt with with SMAWs if 0351s were with the squad or other types of rockets/heavy weapons. It's almost impossible to pinpoint exactly were a single gunman is so it's generally the idea to scare the shit out of them and get them to leave (but hopefully kill them of course).

Sorry to not give you a tactical super cool sounding answer, but it happens literally everyday during a push and very often during the hold.

It is not possible to tell between what you are probably imagining as a 'sniper' and 'one person with a rifle shooting at you steadily'. They are both considered 'snipers'.

And sometimes they literally weren't dealt with at all and you stand post going 'shit fuck damn fuck' plus laughing a bit (if nobody has been shot yet) trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.

To sum it up: It generally sucks, but is common, and is nothing like you are imagining I would say.
>>
>>30198652

>implying shooting a gun is difficult
>>
File: helmet.jpg (89 KB, 950x634) Image search: [Google]
helmet.jpg
89 KB, 950x634
>>30198567

This happened more then once in my battalion.
>>
File: 1463075523840.png (58 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
1463075523840.png
58 KB, 853x543
>how are enemy snipers dealt with?
>america

explosives.
>>
Yeah. Some asshole in Iraq shot at me while we were in an abandoned estate's palm grove. It had been quiet and we all thought someone had ND'd. I am fairly certain he was going for me as the snap was loud as hell. Frankly, it was all I heard. I didnt really get scared or anything either and we didnt yell. It was night, which probably helped us...Everything got like...really sharp for me in mental terms. I felt my breathing get really shallow and my mouth go agape as I tried to listen for anything. One is supposed to listen for follow up shots and sort of pie off the sector, but there were no follow ups. We got on line and marched through the palm grove but found nothing. We were probably too slow or too cautious.
>>
>>30198629
>>30198644
>>30198670
maybe with a steep angle on the helmet and at very long range, but i really doubt it if it was a frontal hit, also that the bullet barely deformed if it was a straight hit
>>
>>30198698

Who seriously gives a shit what angle it was, you are going to tell a guy with a bullet-hole in his helmet that he didn't get shot in the head? Does 'being shot' mean 'perfectly lined up perpendicular angle to my flesh' now?
>>
File: 1447468979089.jpg (28 KB, 263x357) Image search: [Google]
1447468979089.jpg
28 KB, 263x357
>>30198340
>>
>>30198698
I'm sure with range it was a steep angle to get where it got. But it ended up in the front of the helmet just to the side of the NOD plate, which is all I said, unless you want to start talking deep semantics. It was stuck halfway through and identifiable. I saw it, and that's that. You can believe it or not.
>>
File: 1465280751850.gif (451 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1465280751850.gif
451 KB, 480x360
>>30198340
>>30198269
>be me
>be the airsoft kid in the neighbourhood
>able to hit a target less than a foot across form plenty of yards away while hipfiring
>one day like 10 of the neighbourhood kids and I distribute our weapons evenly and have a fucking war over the parking lot
>right off the bat get popped in the ass with a powerful shit tier spring gun
>fuck
>have a shitty 20$ spring action ak, has a lot of power though
>we're climbing trees and on top of people's fucking houses tryign to get shots on one another
>hiding with battlebud behind bushes in a parking lot
>one faggot comes running at us from left flank like 20 ft away
>I pop his ass in the side of the head and he runs away yelling
>lol over it for like five minutes
>across the lot is a church where the enemy team of like 5 is now hiding
>shooting at each other from across lot
>hey I'm pretty good at this
>keep tinking people from miles away
>they distract us and send one dude with an automatic gun to flank us
>he comes out from our right running and shooting
>battle buddy and I whip around and hipfire 1 bullet into him apiece
>oh shit what
>he's on the ground screaming
>we I fucking chipped his tooth with a bb
>battlebud and I lulz
>he's cursing so loud my fucking mom hears across the street and I get pulled out of the game
>war is hell
>>
>>30198759
I meant as in the target is less than a foot large
>>
>>30198444
If the sniper is a goddamn moron, maybe. A fight wiht a non-goatfucker will be a bit different
>officer/NCO drops
>infantry takes cover
>mass confusion about where the fuck that came from
>Abrams rolls around corner, can't find shit, cue more confusion on the radio
>sniper is long gone
>>
>>30198720
That's why I don't really tell stories here.

>Hey any vets have any stories

Tell story, some small detail doesn't add up from their video games, movies, or something they read here.

>Na uh! Na uh! You're a liar!
>>
>>30198264
NCO's In a nutshell
>>
>>30198926
This.

I feel that everyone has this wierd image in their head (possibly thanks to video games) that the sniper takes on a whole squad. They don't they take out one man maybe two if the need arises and even then that's a rarity.
>>
>>30198629

Plus it could have been a short load
>>
>>30198291
Actually "Isolated Rifleman" sounds like a pretty good title. Not for a sniper's memoir, though.
>>
>>30198698
Uncle was a Marine, deployed to Iraq three times. First deployment, squadmate took an extremely close range (like 20 feet or something) SVD shot to the dome, straight on. Mushroomed out the kevlar weave of the guy's helmet and knocked him out cold, spalling went into his head and followed the curve of his skull around the other side of his head. Dude was fine, upon later inspection the round didn't have enough of a powder load to cycle the action of the SVD which is what got Mr. Hadji smoked.

Third deployment, another squadmate was hit in the head from so far off they didn't hear it, he just dropped. Angle was extreme and the bullet went through his kevlar in the front, shattered his skull, and deflected back out the back of the helmet.

Shit happens. Both the above dudes were fine, and the first guy was back on patrol the same evening I believe.
>>
>>30199027
I should note, guy #2 was flown to Germany but made a complete recovery. Just has some nifty scars on his head where hair won't grow.
>>
>>30198140

There was that time on Okinawa. We were on a ridge, and the nips held another ridge with a draw running between them. One of our guys was heading up the reverse slope of the nips ridge when he got shot through the leg.

I'm told that he dropped for a moment, then got himself up and started back towards our side. Then he got hit again through the other leg. At that point he was immobile, so they called for stretcher-bearers to get him out. I was a 60mm mortarman, so they pulled me and a few others off the guns to go get him.

We dash out across the draw, the riflemen had pushed up to the reverse crest so we were careful but not terribly concerned. We reach the guy but he tells us that he's still covered by the sniper and not to come near him. He's above us up a vertical rock face at about our head level, but out of reach. He was shot in both legs, which made us sure that this was a trap and anyone who climbed that face would be shot immediately.

This was after weeks of being on the line, and my mental state was not what it should have been. Even though we were behind that rock face I was sure that one of us were going to be popped if we took too long, and there had been intermittent shelling as well. If we didn't move quick I knew we were going to die from the sniper, or we were going to die from the shelling.

I jump up the ridge as fast as I can, and as I reach my buddy I look where he's pointing and see a small, black opening in the hillside about three feet diameter. I was sure that there'd be a flash of light and I would get hit right then. But after a moment nothing happened. I turned down to my buddy and got him to the rock shelf to hand him down to the other stretcher bearers, and I got the hell out of there right quick. I took one last look at the hole, but nothing happened.

We got him on the stretcher and booked it back across the draw to our boys on the other side.
>>
>>30198964
Aww, did daddy make you do pushups today for not shaving?

2/10 for not recognizing that banepost as b8.
>>
>>30199065
>Okinawa

Is this a training exercise? Or are we supposed to believe you're a time traveling ww2 vet?
>>
>>30198204

The idea was that you take less casualties by keeping up the assault's momentum. In the Pacific during WW2, the standard approach was to bypass snipers and hidden MG emplacements. Otherwise your unit gets immobilized and then it's maybe only a matter of minutes until enemy mortars and artillery cause serious casualties.
>>
>>30199065
>Okinawa

Grandpa go home
>>
>>30199102

You don't think there are WW2 vets that post on 4chan?
>>
>>30199110
If they were 18 in 1944 that puts them at 90. No, not really. We had some Vietnam posters from time to time, but that's pretty damn rare these days, like unicorn rare.
>>
>>30199065
Hey there Sledgehammer.
>>
>>30199193

BINGO

It's a (poorly retold) story from "With The Old Breed: at Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge.
>>
>>30198340
I mean, I commend him for his tactics and intelligence, but fuck that guy. I'm glad he fell ten feet and got the shit kicked out of him, he deserved it. Being a little ass like that, jumping into a new group and shooting people with metal BB's like that. Jackass.
>>
>>30198663
>And sometimes they literally weren't dealt with at all and you stand post going 'shit fuck damn fuck' plus laughing a bit (if nobody has been shot yet) trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.
Getting shot at by potshots at long intervals like every few hours for an entire day and not being able to do much about it but wait until the next time it happens sounds like it would really suck.
>>
>>30199317
Yeah. He was a jackass. But years later he got a chick pregnant, dropped out of school, got beat by his dad for being more of a jackass, and then disappeared off the face of the earth.
>>
>>30199261
anon, a lot of people here have seen The Pacific
>>
>>30199329
I do like how one of you instinctively had the sense to lay down suppressive fire and then have everyone else rush.

Did he see that in a movie or did that just pop into his head I wonder.
>>
>>30199322
I'm not him but I don't think he meant waiting a whole day.

If you're on post chances are you have qrf standing by with armored Vic's to scramble. I think he meant if the shots are so far away you can't ID snipers location you'd hesitate to dispatch qrf because don't even know where to send them.

That's my guess, never had a sniper attack my fob just shitty RPG attempts.
>>
>>30199329
Well, once a piece of shit, generally always a piece of shit. Shame. Deserved his assbeatings.

>>30199341
Yeah that was cool too. I bet it was that, but I like that everyone else seems to have gotten the message.

Sometimes, I wish I had had more friends and woods to play in as a kid, because I would have loved some airsoft bullshit. Now I'd just feel like an idiot.
>>
>>30199341
I actually think they just put 2 and 2 together and had the kid let loose. We knew it was a thing of course, but in the moment of childhood panic, the fact that a level of teamwork like that just kicked in was amazing. And there was no clear "leader" doing it. Everyone just did their thing. We played army, or played paintball and used that as a tactic before. But it was never something that just magically happened to overcome a possibly dangerous situation. We had always done it for fun, or to be funny. Whoever was the machine gunner or whatever laid suppressive fire by acting like a dumb ass and just spraying. But my friend that did it that day looked like a real soldier for a second. He stayed low, kept his cheek and shoulder snug, and was shooting in short sweeping bursts. He even yelled "FUCK YOU" a couple time, I think. But that may have been someone else.

I was hiding in a hole screaming, and they began Operating. We still talk about it to this day, and all of them swear that they were just doing what they knew to do. I probably never would have thought to do that, let alone just magically start doing it.
>>
>>30198213
I believe she has a vz58
>>
does the guy who shot and missed at the convoy every time it went past count?
>>
File: 1458695733813.jpg (476 KB, 2048x1525) Image search: [Google]
1458695733813.jpg
476 KB, 2048x1525
>sniper fire incoming
>set support by fire to pin and distract sniper
>send assualt team to flank and destroy sniper
>if sniper moves, reverse role of teams
>kill sniper
>piss on his body
>>
>>30199456
Are you a marine by any chance?
>>
>>30198204
In&antry in ww2 would just roll up something with a M2 to any bunch oftrees and just feed belts until it was bare, didn't matter if anybody fired from it or not
>>
File: 2016-05-18 19.14.24-1.jpg (3 MB, 1534x3260) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-18 19.14.24-1.jpg
3 MB, 1534x3260
Didn't read thread

I was a Marine sniper in Sangin 2010. I was terrified because everywhere I looked I saw potential FFPs the enemy could use you drill our guys standing post. I felt uncomfortable EVERYWHERE I went unless I was surrounded by hesco or mud walls taller than I was, because I knew someone who knew how to stalk, shoot and make second round corrections could wreak absolute havoc upon an overt, uniformed military presence. Thankfully for us, the Taliban was not formally trained to the same standard and either never received formal training or disregarded it and just jerked the trigger when I was on their front sight post (insha allah.)

Now I've been shot at quite a bit. And I've been with guys that have been shot at quiet a bit. There comes a point when grunts have seen enough of their buddies get hit that they realise they aren't invincible and they might actually die. At that point any single shot, that could very well have been sent from a dude 500m away with his ak held high above his head, African style, was "accurate effective sniper fire" because 1, they believe it. 2, it may grant them the use of more supporting fires and 3, they can sound more badass recounting the story.

The rule is, if it's single shot, or several well aimed shots this does not denote the presence of a sniper. A pattern of actual casualty producing hits on troops, from concealed positions is the only tell that betrays the presence of anyone who may be recognized as an actual sniper. Likewise the possession of a scoped rifle does not make anyone a sniper (terry Taliban nor Sgt fuckface the MP with an EMR,) but the procurement of and application of the art of long range precision marksmanship and field craft inherent to the title of sniper.
>>
File: 78852963.jpg (202 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
78852963.jpg
202 KB, 400x400
>>30198213
cuz she had FAMAS
>>
>>30199335
>The Pacific
Kill yourself. >>30199193 was a reference to Old Breed and not Tom Hanks "Band of Brothers 2: Slant Eyed Boogaloo"
>>
File: trump.jpg (74 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
trump.jpg
74 KB, 400x300
>>30198926
>A fight wiht a non-goatfucker will be a bit different
like since 5 years in syria
>>
>>30199647
I was an 0311 and I get what you're saying. I imagine you feel like a half assed hajji barely trained on a rifle and tactics being called a sniper is like a turbo pog telling me he's a rifleman.

It's just a commonly used term. There were a few that were better than average tho, and that's what I refer too as an enemy sniper. Of course you know we are not implying they are anywhere near your level, or equipment either. When the snipers would stop by the posts to check things out I was blown away by how good your thermals were compared to standard Infantry issue.
>>
>>30198964
Spotted the salty e4 with 6 years TIS
>>
File: 1465175443745.jpg (44 KB, 487x720) Image search: [Google]
1465175443745.jpg
44 KB, 487x720
>>30198961
This. Bunch of armchair operators want to tell me something didn't happen when I saw it with my own fucking eyes.

Case in point, a few months ago I mentioned seeing a guy get shot in the face mid sprint, and he took a few more steps before collapsing. We gave him an extra burst because fuck that. I had like 3 anons giving me a bunch of bullshit about how the brain works, and how this sends signals and blah blah blah. I was there. It was freaky. Weird shit happens in the real world. Some fucking neckbeard in his mamas basement isn't going to tell me it didn't.

I mean, look at this guy, even after being given photographic evidence he's still refuting things and arguing when he has literally nothing to stand on. I'm all for shitposting but goddamn, it's got to have a limit.

Yes I'm mad.
>>
>>30199504
no, ex Army
>>
>>30200266
>shot in the face
>still alive

Depending on the exact point of entry, I don't see what's terribly unbelievable about that when some home invasion dindus can survive a revolver's worth of (admittedly not the most powerful) ammo plugged into their skull before bleeding out while escaping.
>>
>>30200758
Because people here just want to argue about stupid shit, and cry "STOLIN VALER STOLIN VALER" to make themselves feel good, at strangers on the internet. Then people wonder why milfags don't post in mil threads.
>>
>>30200582
Ahh the pissing on the body could have fooled me haha.
>>
>>30200266
>>30201002
Pretty much.

The one that pissed me off the most was some kid asking advice on how to patrol. I mentioned the man in the rear needs to look behind constantly, even sometimes walk backwards for a few seconds to ensure SA and provide rear security.

5 armchair 4star generals blew up "LMAO he thinks Infantry walk backwards!". One even pretended to be a "Marine Infantryman for 8 years". I told him to tell me what his fucking shit ass unit was that didn't teach that and he shut up. You got a dozen or more other men looking forward, it's the job of the last man to watch your 6. That's how I was taught as a boot, and what I later taught mine. Makes fucking sense to me.

Another was when I told story of time I shot a guy. Even when they believe you still get replies like, "oh, I bet you feel like a real badass, huh?". The spergs really are killing off any desire to share anything.
>>
>>30201150
What baffles me more is that people don't realize that it is so fucking important to watch the rear. The last thing any patrol needs is some cunt deciding to open up on them.

The only difference is when I was taught I was taught that every man needs to turn around at some point even if it's only for a second just to make sure the guy behind you is still fucking there.
>>
>>30201189
Yeah we did that too. It's just a quick spin to make sure they are there tho.

I was taught every 20 to 30 seconds you should walk backwards for 3 to 5 seconds and really survey the area tho if you're the last man. Rear security is your top priority.
>>
>>30201238
Absolutely, on one of our first training patrols we weren't told this and one of the Sgts pulled off our tail end gunner about 5 minutes into the patrol. We probably walked for another 20 minutes before anyone clocked that he was no longer there.

I'm ashamed to say that I still feel like a fucking idiot for not realizing that in the first place.
>>
>>30198189
Certainly equipment and range are relevant? Nobody would call a guy 20 meters away with a Makarov a sniper, even if he attacked accurately and from concealment.
>>
>>30201298
Well that entirely depends on whether or not you know it's a guy 20m away with a makarov. If a shot comes out of nowhere and nobody knows where it came from it would be reasonable for a squad to call that a sniper.
>>
>>30198140
I once was traveling by bus thrue The cuntry side and The bus got Shot at by some hillbillys Who were testing their New Air rifle. Must say... that thing was powerfull enough to shatter The windshield. Some girl got coverd in Glass and had a few little cuts on her face and shoulders.

Nope nog really Bad ass or anything but still quite impressive to Experience
>>
>>30199647
>I was terrified because everywhere I looked I saw potential FFPs

Did you ever have that after your deployment, in civvie life?

I do. And after intro to C-IED I have felt very uncomfortable under bridges and when there is random trash next to the road etc.

Anyways, my experience with snipers
>be on patrol in Afghanistan (ISAF, part of UN detail)
>incoming fire from like a mile away
>they are shooting at us from a mile away with what I suppose are AKs and PKMs
>tumbling bullets hit here and there
>lol
>a German UN peace core guy gets hit in thigh
>bullet doesn't even stay inside, it just leaves a bleeding dent
>guy is ok five days later

And the best
>finishing patrol
>random shots from a hut 800m away
>it is literally the only hut in the area, seriously the dumbest FFP ever
>take cover behind APC
>the thing is called in
>American AF tells us to grt inside the APC and drive away
>we do and moments later hear a faint boom
>next time we drive by that spot the hut is gone and there is a big fucking hole in its place
It felt pretty funny thinking some dude had just thought fuck it and blew probably tens of thousands worth of ordance on a guy with a rusty AK in a shitty hut.
>>
>>30201298
I'm going to continue on from this
>>30201310
just to try and put it in context because who defines what a sniper is in combat?

Let me put you into a little scenareo...

> you are patrolling down a street in fuckyouistan.
> nothing really happening
> all of a sudden a shot rings out and one of the guys next to you drop.
> the bullet has hit just above his armour and he is now pissing blood out over the street.

Now was the shot aimed? Was it just luck on the shooters side? Either way.

> you now have a man bleeding out on the street, no clue where the shot came from of if you are still in his sights.

I can almost certainly guarantee that the first words out of your mouth wouldn't be "I think it was only a makarov"
>>
>>30198168

A sniper is a person who fires from a concealed position.

That's it.
>>
>>30201298
>Certainly equipment and range are relevant?

They're not.

Sure, go ahead and try to define it based on this, but you'll spend your whole life arguing about it.

>Nobody would call a guy 20 meters away with a Makarov a sniper

But they would, because that's what he is.

It just sounds to me like you've played one too many videogames.
>>
>>30201534
Oh don't be to mean, he is just upset that he isn't skilled enough to snipe someone with a makarov from 20m
>>
>>30201150
It's whatever man, they want to sit around and have fantasies about things they know nothing about and will never do. I think they get subconsciously angry at people who have done the things they fantasize about, and that's why they lash out, but I'm not a doctor so I dont know.

And yes, when I shot people I did feel like a badass. They tried to kill me and I killed them, it felt great. I'm supposed to be all torn up about it because that's what Hollywood says? And some basement dweller wants to act morally superior because of "Muh military industrial complex," and "I'm not a sheep,"? Fuck that shit nigger, I had opportunities after high school, I wanted to fucking fight so I joined the Infantry. I did and I dont feel bad about it, fucking sue me.

Half of these retards would shit their pants if I posted my DD214, the other half would yell stolen valor and say its photoshopped.

The only reason it bothers me is that I like 4chan, and I like other veterans. You'd think /k/ of all places would be a good place to talk with like-minded vets. But because of said animosity, none of them post except to call people retards when they say something completely retarded. Its frustrating.
>>
>>30198213
>un-modified AKM
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>30198264
lol you're so full of shit
>>
A sniper had been harassing the men coming in and out of Long Moh to cover their patrol routes. There were usually scouts, locally sourced and British Army alike, who patrolled the area toward the border with Indonesia. Most of the short range patrols and static emplacements were manned by Gurkhas and were of varying quality. Long distance patrols were carried out by us, with the longest distance patrols (often over borders) carried out by SAS troopers. He'd hit a Gurkha officer in the chest but by some measure of luck he survived. A Wessex crew was just about to depart with a lot of medical equipment on board, so dragged it over by hand and treat the officer in a small trench.

We'd been on patrols to the North West with no trouble and to the North with lots of it. Each village in our area, which were as far out as 25 miles, usually had a visit from a Guards patrol once a week, an SAS patrol whenever they felt like it and a Gurkha contingent posted if the situation allowed it. Since it got dark at around 17:00, with absolute darkness at 18:00, we tried to make the most of the daylight. The sniper did the same, making the most of the clear light to take notes and track movements but only fired when it was approaching night. Their money was on no one wanting to get into a night fight. He took a shot at us just as we approached a small hill to a village that we were going to spend the night in, firing from our south east at the top of an embankment. We hit the ridge, returned fire and hit him. He fell, rolled about ten yards down and was wedged between some trees. Myself and a Lance Sergeant went to remove his weapon and examine the body, he can't have been more than sixteen. I remember how much smaller he was than me and how he had barely reacted to having his front torn away by our fire.

I don't know if it was the same terrorist that hit the Gurkha officer, but after that individual shooters were almost non existent.
>>
>>30201698
Yeah, 4chans /k/ is basically my VFW. I don't really let it bother me and also enjoy talking to fellow vets as well. Rather they be muhreens, squids, army dogs, or chair force (fuck off coast guard).

I also don't feel bad at all about the guy I killed. In some ways it's easier than hunting, I didn't have to gut him and take him to the butcher. Meat would also be more foul.
>>
When I was a Medic in mech infantry one of our guys took a round while we were fucking up Sadar city. Get call while sitting in the Bradely
>POG.jpg
Freak out because first real casulaty and I'm a pussy. Bradley rolls up to squad that's behind cover. I hop out and run over. See that he took a round in the left armpit and came out just above his right ass cheek. While assesing his injury I see to my right what looks like a fish jumping in water. (Earlier that day we cut some water line or someshit. Street was flooded with a foot of water) I think thats wierd, where'd fish come from. Brain starts working and I realize we are taking fire.
>shitpants.gif
Scream at grunts to shoot back. They already are. Grab injured guy and drag him back to the Bradley. While we load him in, round pings off the side
>FML
Finally ramp closes. Continue to treat armpit dude. Hear tanks roll by. 120mm death on Haji. Guy survived, last I saw he has a limp and gets free beer.
>>
>>30198698
theres a demolition ranch video where he shows that a 7.62x39 loses about half of its muzzle velocity at 400 yards
>>
>>30203183
Good job Doc. There's a reason we love you.
>>
File: 1463710765691.jpg (148 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1463710765691.jpg
148 KB, 720x540
>>30201698
>>30202779
Civilian here. Keep posting. People need to hear real stories. Fuck the dummies.
>>
>>30198140
Smoke, counter-snipers, and suppressive fire.
>>
File: 1404019896748.gif (3 MB, 351x197) Image search: [Google]
1404019896748.gif
3 MB, 351x197
>>30198340
>>he was out hiding with an actual BB gun

I hope he got his ass kicked all the way to next week.
>>
File: 1448793897757.jpg (10 KB, 464x430) Image search: [Google]
1448793897757.jpg
10 KB, 464x430
>>30198444
>>HEAT round

I'm pretty sure that it were HE, as HEAT is an explosive condensed penetration instead of dispersion
>>
>>30206160
You use what you have. Many HEAT rounds are specifically designed to maximize the frag from the casing for full utility.
>>
File: 1444785035554.jpg (10 KB, 261x186) Image search: [Google]
1444785035554.jpg
10 KB, 261x186
>>30198264
>I don't know how to infantry so I get my own guys killed for nothing
>I'm either a liar or a POS NCO/Officer
>>
>>30198759
I also have an Airsoft story

>be about 8-9
>camping at a camp ground
>its based around a huge lake
>where we were had a huge clearing like a bowl in the trees
>opening right by our camp ground
>all the big boys, 16-17, are playing air soft and what not
>one of my friends comes out and sits down next to me with blood coming out of his forehead
>look in amazement at how amazing this new game is
>pick up his gun and inspect it
>fall in love for the second time
>first is a whole 'nother story is your interested
>he tells me to be careful, its loaded
>bingo
>ask to use it
>he says no
>say please
>his mom makes him let me play with it
>run into forestry area
>take cover behind a tree
>no one knows I'm here yet
>perfect
>peak out from cover
>see about 20-30 teenagers playing air soft with mostly springers
>I have a semi auto
>run out from cover
>one of the kids I know yells for a ceasefire, there's a little kid on the field
>everyone stops and comes out to look at me
>the kid I know asks me what I'm doing
>look at him, gun behind my back
>some kid from behind me yells "HE HAS A GUN"
>pull it out and shoot kid I knew point blank in the crotch
>he goes down crying
>everyone starts laughing
>oh, your laughing at me, huh?
>turn around and dome the kid behind me
>fucking snitch
>kids start running
>start shooting at anyone I see
>after about 20 seconds, get hit in the chest
>walk up to my camp
>everyone's there, talking to me mom
>they turn around and look at me, disgusted at what just happened
>happily skip to my tent, put back the gun on the table
>hour later, dad comes in my tent with my own air soft gun
>a P226 Springer
>dominate the battefeild, mostly because no one wants to shoot me, I'm a little kid
>have an appreciation for P226's since
>>
File: 1438237295485.jpg (48 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1438237295485.jpg
48 KB, 600x400
>>30201534
>20 m
>Sniper
>>
File: ori.png (357 KB, 720x384) Image search: [Google]
ori.png
357 KB, 720x384
>>30206904
>Airsoft
>>
>>30207635
Again this is reliant on you knowing how far away the sniper is.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-04-03-01h09m04s464.png (565 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-04-03-01h09m04s464.png
565 KB, 1280x720
>>30206904
>happily skip to my tent, put back the gun on the table
Wow, anon, you really are a cute anime girl.
>>
>>30198140
yes, once when i was deployed in baghdad, afghanistan.

i was walking the road alone with a couple of friends and we suddenly heard the bullet go over our heads. took cover, popped smoke and ran across while one of my guys started spraying fully automatic fire with his M4, he got hit while changing clips. we called in a medevac and they put him in the back of a sherman while we engaged the sniper. i ran out of my clips pretty fast and had to use my standard issue S&W .500 to bring down the whole mosque. luckily, my friend survived but only thanks to the tiger they sent in from the HQ
>>
>>30209035
thank your for ur service
>>
Closest thing was in Afghanistan we were hitting a building with a barricaded shooter on the second floor. We just shot the house with 3 goose rounds, a law, and like four grenades into the room he was in. We found what was left of an SVD and our PSG was really sad because that was the only one we found that deployment and we really want one to hang up in our platoon office.
>>
>>30209035
I was the tank pilot for the medevac. That wasn't a sniper that was a disabled boy throwing rocks you lying fuck
>>
>>30209135
Disabled boy who used to throw rocks here, I was totally a sniper until some American Satan sicced a goddamn tiger on me. Why do you barbarians make cats do your fighting for you?
>>
>>30209135
>Tank pilot

?
>>
>>30198340
The dudes a jackass for going for face shots and especially for bringing a BB gun.
>>
>>30209279
You kids are gay for talking about airsoft in a sniper thread.
>>
>>30201522
>That's it.
RRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>30209035
>Baghdad
>Afghanistan

What?
>>
>>30198340
War is hell
>>
>>30210691
If this is the only problem you saw, you should kys
>>
>>30211517
I stopped reading at that point. Kys for reading garbage.
>>
>>30199027
>Be your uncle
>get blasted in head
>God bless russian ammunition
>>
>>30201698

Not military but I worked for a pretty big Contactor company, and spent 10 months all together in Iraq. Mosty we provided clean water and shitters (maybe you know who I worked for).

I was in 4 IED attacks and maybe a dozen small arms fire instances. All of them wihout a scratch.

Thank god for our security details, most of them were from South Africa and a few Brits. But all around good fucking dudes. Got very close with them and theyd teach me basic fire arms and first aid training. Always had it in the back of my head that if they got taken out Id have to try and defend myself. So I say props to you man, and good luck with whatever you do.

True story I got called out for stolen valor by a fresh Army boot who came to a party Id had. He saw the SAS Beret I was given by "Digger" and thought I was trying to say I earned it.
It was given to me by Dig on our last day in Iraq. He died from cancer 2 years ago.

Fuck I need a whiskey.
>>
>>30212054
All good man. I talked to a contractor that drove a truck in Iraq. I bummed a smoke and we talked for a bit. He showed me his rig and it was clearly shot up. Said he'd been ambushed twice.

We shot the shit a little bit. He said he was making good money (more than my GI ass) but his old lady was spending it all.

Welcome to the suck, my man.
>>
File: 1408833803210.png (711 KB, 500x724) Image search: [Google]
1408833803210.png
711 KB, 500x724
>>30198140
call in artillery
>>
>>30212357
Watch yourself now I might actually show up. I'm visiting a buddy in Upstate NY I served with. Think I'm gonna drive thru Pennsylvania.
>>
>>30198140

I wouldn't call him a "sniper", but I got pinned down hiding in a creek bank by one very pissed off neighbor who thought I was stealing cattle.

After a few extremely tense minuets, I quit pissing myself and called him on my cell phone telling him to stop fucking shooting at me.

Now I always triple check with him before doing fence repair back there.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.