[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wasn't the F-15 MTD ever put into service?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 960x540
Why wasn't the F-15 MTD ever put into service?
>>
File: image.jpg (901 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
901 KB, 1280x720
>>30191516
>>
Because it was a tech demonstrator, and not intended for large-scale production and service.
>>
>>30191516
Maaan it's hot.
Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNRv-lubCg
>>
>>30191516
Because, STOL/ MTD/ ETC proved a few important things.

-we dont need it. It was primarily for taking off bombed out runways. Turns out the US has insane air superiority.

-data from misile test showed something important: A jet will never, ever, out maneuver a missile, and as long as the missile is launched from within it's kill envelope, it will very likely hit what it wants to hit.

-cost/ complexity.

Dont get me wrong, I love eagle, and I love cool, but war is not about cool, its about winning. Dog fights are cool, but in practicality, each step we take forward brings them closer to being dead. Lasers could negate the missile advantage, but bring about the laser warfare game, and our enemies are not that far along in that department. No amount of hacking can build you the necessary back end infrastructure.
>>
File: 1456725117861.webm (2 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1456725117861.webm
2 MB, 853x480
>>30192407
>A jet will never, ever, out maneuver a missile, and as long as the missile is launched from within it's kill envelope, it will very likely hit what it wants to hit.

Wow, its almost like you have a very poor understanding of air combat or somethng
>>
>>30192427
Shoulda used more spamrams
>>
>>30192427
Nice official military software simulation. asshole. Please, show me the hit probability off the C or D model of the 120.

Or how the aim9x block 2 does?

Got any news on CUDA?

Shit how about IRIS-T, Python-5, ASRAAM, Meteor or the like?

Fuck man, its almost...like your toy program is modeling obsolete equipment and doesn't take into account ECM/ECCM capability very well.

Jog on. V.
>>
>>30192427
>F-15C starting out at a snail's pace and immediately shits the bed by killing all its energy
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>30192856
oh dude, I am eagerly awaiting him to return and try to refute the point. I pretty much am sitting here with erection in hand. I know he wont come back, and that is also satisfying, but I do know a chump like that will check this, feel squeamish and not post. So its all good.

>full time airman, part time misery monkey.
>>
>>30192790
Definition of #triggered.

Wasn't using it as evidence, just a nice little webbum.
>>
>>30192427
R27

>4% hit rate in actual combat
>literally within rounding error of zero.
>>
>>30193592
the funy bit is, if the two little icons saying SU-27 and F15c were reversed, and the animation were identical, there wouldn't be the slightest peep out of the same people...
>>
>>30193648
Well, I'd be a little triggered by an F15 shooting R27s.
>>
>>30192473
Those are Ruskie planes negro.

More like R27ABCDEFGs
>>
>>30191516

Is that like the armed version of NASAs F15 ACTIVE?
>>
>>30193713
The STOL/MTD was developed into the ACTIVE, so they are related projects.
>>
>>30192427
>AIM-120B
>B
>>
>>30193756
Oh I'm sorry, do the C and D versions no longer conform to the laws of physics anymore?
>>
>>30193771
Oh I'm sorry, does having your scenario receive criticism trigger you?
>>
>>30193888
>my scenario
wat

But yeah, really doesn't matter what missile it is, the same mechanics apply. Saying "A jet will never, ever, out maneuver a missile" is kind of missing the entire point of why maneuverability gives you an advantage. You don't need to out-turn a missile to beat it.
>>
>>30193592
It's pretty nice, people always argue over which plane is better and completely neglect just how important pilot skill and decision making is in air combat.
>>
>>30191842
this senpai
>>
>>30193648
>if things were different, things would be different

We have ourselves a genius.
>>
>>30191859
It's based on that variant, but the Patlabor 2 F-15s have more refined F-22-like engine nozzles
>>
File: aim-9x_nozzle.jpg (232 KB, 912x606) Image search: [Google]
aim-9x_nozzle.jpg
232 KB, 912x606
>>30193921
Dude, here is whats up.

There are significant differences between the 120B and 120C, as there are with the Russian equivalents. This is not about plane vs plane, its about a small, very nimble object, vs a large very nimble object. As you said, you cant argue with physics. The small object, with sufficient available thrust and seeker, will always be able to catch the larger object. Why? Larger object has more mass to sling around, more aerodynamic drag, and cant handle the same G-forces before it snaps in half like an autumn twig.

Missiles are evolving. Motors are getting better, avionics are getting better, data links are getting better.

Fuck man. Have you seen what an aim-9x can do? The Aim-120D is well underway, and while it has not been fully released to the public, I am pretty confident its not just a small upgrade for the sake of money.

Pic related is an aim 9x, not a 120, but go look at missile evolution in any series.

tl/dr: assuming missile technology is static is dumb. Missiles vs aircraft maneuverability/ ECM/ECCM is like the arguemnet of tank armor.

Tanks cant uparmor enough to defend against modern weapons, and now have to incorporate soft kill measures. Aircraft cannot outmaneuver a modern missile if it is launched within its kill envelope. That is the range in which it has enough fuel to zip around like a crazy motherfucker and hit you. it will hit you unless you have some sort of powerful ECM or laser.
>>
For one, they had to remove the gun to make room for the canards.
>>
>>30195649
In Ace Combat, they handwave that by equipping it with an undercarriage mounted gunpod.
>>
>>30193771
Weapon that runs out of energy after 20nmi vs ones with several times the range.
>>
>>30192427
What game?
>>
Its a TACVIEW app and you can use it with any DCS module.
>>
>>30196758
this
>>
>>30191859
Holy shit, that scene was goat.

Tension built without even showing a fight.
>>
>>30193637
As reported in a blog.
>>
File: 1457717480687.webm (2 MB, 781x420) Image search: [Google]
1457717480687.webm
2 MB, 781x420
>>30195543
Thats a lovely little blogpost, anon.

Doesn't change the fact that higher maneuverability is a key factor in making a missile's NEZ larger.

Do you think its easier for an AIM-120D to hit a clean F-16, or an F-16 with several drop tanks?

Hint: its the latter.

>>30196758
>>30197361
Its the review mode of DCS.

A great way of seeing how hilariously inaccurately missiles are modelled in-game.
>>
>>30197836
>key factor in making a missile's NEZ larger.

Smaller, rather.

Should probably have breakfast before reading your silly posts.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.