[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm considering Reserve or ANG OCS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: trf-battering-ram.jpg (71 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
trf-battering-ram.jpg
71 KB, 600x455
Ever Since I was in the Civil Air Patrol I've had an interest in the Air Force.

All branch fanboy-ism aside, how do Air Force Security Forces stack up in terms of technical knowledge, infantry type training, CQB and schooling to that of Marine Corps or Army Infantry? I'm not talking about deployments, PFT standards, missions, or anything branch specific, but strictly the breadth of knowledge disseminated and capability. I know most SF work is boring or law enforcement oriented.

TL;DR What do Army or Marine Infantrymen learn better or over Security Forces and what's the best branch to commission in to learn combat oriented leadership and training?
>>
File: 150929-F-IP058-949.jpg (686 KB, 3000x2003) Image search: [Google]
150929-F-IP058-949.jpg
686 KB, 3000x2003
Dat Tiger Stripe
>>
File: F35 Cockpits.jpg (1 MB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
F35 Cockpits.jpg
1 MB, 4256x2832
Air Force Security Forces are cops. Period. They do a bit more firearms training and field work but most of the time they do cop things. I knew a MSgt that was on a SWAT team and completed sniper school, but his case was a rare one. Also, as an officer, you're going to be writing OPR/EPR's and making sure the squadron doesn't go to shit than operator things.

My 2 cents. Here's some planes.
>>
>>30185855
That's what I figured, I'd like to go into LE on the civilian side of things and I anticipate doing so rather soon. As far as serving in the military, I'm looking to become well rounded in knowledge.
>>
>>30185967
If you're looking for law enforcement experience you'd be alright as an enlisted SF, officers are going to be doing a lot more management than any actual police work. Paradoxically, despite being the largest enlisted career field in the AF, there's few actual officers in comparison to a lot of other places officers go.
>>
>>30185783
If only they picked a less shitty color scheme
>>
>>30185992
Seems like grunts for the chairforce
>>
>>30185967
explain the pic pls, im dumb sorry ;_;
>>
>>30186840
They think they're going to be really cool gun toting operators, but end up just scanning IDs for an entire career.
>>
>>30185743
In all seriousness it depends on your unit. I've done a lot of cooler shit than just "cop work". Yes there's a lot of boring ass activities you'll have to endure tech school being the biggest pain in the ass. As an example I've called in CAS and I've also sat in a patrol car writing tickets. Experience varries depending on location and unit.
>>
>>30187683
When did you call in CAS as AF security forces?

Actual AO and timeframe, not "when I was in Afghanistan".
>>
>>30187908
It was a course my unit offered we had some JTACs and we learned how to call it in. It was stateside on a range for planes. Time frame is within the last year.
>>
Air Force's mission is to launch planes. Maybe some AF cops do random shit not directly supporting that, but the overwhelming majority exist to make sure the base is secure.

Leadership experience is subjective, but AF SF wouldn't be my first choice.

Get a 4 year degree, if you liked CAP maybe look into reserve flying squadrons and get some interviews there. Operating a multi million dollar aircraft all over the world with a crew of 5-10 guys is pretty easy to pitch as leadership experience to a local PD.

Then if being a cop sucks, I imagine it does, you could always work your way up to flying with the majors.
>>
>>30187927
So you haven't called in CAS, you got a class on it.
>>
>>30188013
I physically held a radio talked to a pilot and guided him onto a target with live ordinance.
>>
>>30188047
I physically held a dick talked to an african american and guided him into my wife's vagina with live ordinance.
>>
>>30188066
Lol cool story bro.
>>
File: 1464986962194.jpg (31 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1464986962194.jpg
31 KB, 550x550
>>30188047
Then you took a class you retard. You didnt call in CAS, you took a class on calling in CAS. I hate bursting your operator fantasies, but you didn't, you're not, and need to shut the fuck up. Dank u for ur cervix.
>>
>>30185743
bump
>>
>>30185743
What does the infantry learn that security forces don't?

Infantry skills. Security forces do not learn how to be infantrymen, they don't learn small unit tactics, they don't learn how to close with, engage and destroy the enemy by means of fire and maneuver.

They learn some basic tactics that would equate to the sort of stuff every POG soldier and marine gets in basic training.

They spend their days working as police officers, infantrymen spend their days training to engage in combat.

If you want to commission and learn about leading people in combat you need to be in armor or infantry.
>>
File: 450x300_q95.jpg (59 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
450x300_q95.jpg
59 KB, 450x300
>>30188891
So then my question without creating a giant Autism Speaks rap battle, is simply this... Forget the Army's millions of accessory schools, I don't care about air assault, jump, ranger or whatever else is icing on the cake.

Simply based on what's mandated and frequently taught between branches, which will give me as a second lieutenant a better grasp of what I'm looking for?

For someone looking to go in and then come out and work in some serious governmental shit, I realize they are functionally identical, but I'm grasping at straws with this.

I mean something as retarded as playing with bayonets for example, is appealing to me. The marginal insignificant little things that nobody cares about.
>>
>>30188997
Why would cops play with bayonets?

Did you read my post? The infantry does infantry things, it trains day and night in the field to kill the enemy.

Security forces work a job every day, guarding gates, pulling over speeders, and occasionally doing remedial training or ranges.

As a security forces officer you will not be learning how to conduct a company cordon and search or a raid.
>>
>>30189112
Well I'm referring to someone in the 0302 or 11A MOS category.
>>
>>30189136
I was an 11b for 6 years.
>>
File: 1459488501405.png (522 KB, 4000x3554) Image search: [Google]
1459488501405.png
522 KB, 4000x3554
>>30188997
If you're really, genuinely looking into getting into law enforcement/federal law enforcement I'd shoot for AFROTC and try to get into the intelligence career field or OSI. Security forces is pretty much beating your head against a wall, you'll get an absolute shit ton of leadership experience because that's all you're going to be doing. You're not going to be an operator and you won't learn operator things, that's left to the OSI guys and maybe, maybe some secret squirrel high flying motherfuckers from intelligence.

More so, having 'Captain, USAF' (you better make it at the end of four) is going to get you pretty much anywhere you want with law enforcement once you're done. If you want to be a high speed, hit USAF, do intel (it isn't fun) or OSI (good luck) and then go get yourself lost in the government's alphabet soup. It'll take awhile, but you'll be a door kicker eventually.
>>
>>30189221
It should be noted, I'm suggesting AFROTC because I'm a contracted cadet and I know that route. I'm not too familiar with ROTC or NROTC, outside of the fact that ROTC will give anyone with a pulse a fucking scholarship and getting one from the airforce is like making a rock bleed.
>>
>>30189112
>>30189136
>>30188997

In other words, whats going to give me the best skill set when I come out to work in executive protection, or a more tactically oriented skill set?

I get lost in the hurrdurr "muhreen corps" banter, and then at the same time, I hear people tell me about how the Army taught someone how to converse in sign language.

I'm on call for a Civilian LE academy as it is now, and I just finished my degree. I was raised by someone who did some very noble things for the country; wet works and the like and getting picked up for something like that is an extraordinarily difficult task. I know having foreign language experience and a military background is critical to opening up doors.
>>
>>30188997
You're grasping at straws because no one is telling you what you want to hear, which is SF is basically infantry.

We've told you they're not. Not even remotely. You're grasping because you are an Air Force fanboy, which is fine in and of itself, but want to do a bunch of high-speed shit the AF doesnt do.

You want to learn skills pertaining to leading men into combat? Join the infantry as a 2nd LT. You want to kick in doors and shoot shit and get your jollies off without having to worry about a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit? Enlist in the infantry.

You're not going to get that in the SF. You're just not. They're glorified gate guards, and every single one I've met hates their job.

Tl;dr Get your head out of your ass and pay attention to what the people in this thread have already told you, stop trying to get the answer you want instead of the truth. Figure out what exactly you want to do and just do it.
>>
>>30189281
I was actually referring to the Army and the Marine Corps in that post, I could care less about the branch desu.
>>
>>30189270
So...you want to get out and be a super secret oper8r for a Merc company or an ABC agency? Is that what you're saying?
>>
>>30189298
Way to miss the point of my post shit bird, have fun scanning ID's at the chow hall.
>>
>>30189270
>and I just finished my degree.

Good luck getting into OCS.
>>
>>30189303
Well I don't think I'll ever get to be where I want to be, its genuinely luck, but something competitive.
>>
>>30189327
Apply for everything, hell, fucking border patrol is a good way to get picked up cross-agency, you're more likely to ABC if you're already somewhere in the system. Apply for OCS, apply for every extra duty you can with LEs, apply for the state troopers, apply for the sherrifs officer. Throw yourself out there.
>>
>>30189318
Whatever man, I'm just trying to be a weekend warrior and push the occasional pencil. I've stated several times I'm aware that SF does mostly repetitive law enforcement tasks. However the true intent of this whole thread is to ascertain which branch will prepare me as best as possible for leadership in the most stressful setting as someone that isn't AD.
>>
>>30189357
I'll be over that trooper exam like white on rice.
>>
>>30189387
It's not about branches in that case, it's about service. You have to understand that you're behind the curve now, and a lot of agencies are already spoiled for choices.

Reserve officers are stressed as fuck, but it's a bad kind of stress. You have 2 days a month to complete all the tasks that AD units have a year to complete. That means at least 40℅ of drills is going to be bullshit briefings, you coming up with training calenders, and chasing soldiers down in your off time to nag them to death to complete their SHARP online course. You're going to be doing OERs at least twice a year, which is another 2 drills gone. Bad leadership qualities are picked up in the reserves, and it's usually even worse when its a fresh LT and its where they LEARN leadership habits.

You should seriously consider AD if you really want to learn to be a good leader. And if you really want to go into ABC agency later, rest assured that most of them will be prior service and will look more favorably on an AD history. There's bad leaders everywhere, but there's bad habits in the Reserves.

t. E5 after 3 years AD, E6 after 2 reserve, got the fuck out when they wouldn't let me back on AD.
>>
>>30189497
Also, let's not forget the Good Ol Boy system. Reserve unit membership is based on where you live, so a lot of guys spend their entire career at the same Battalion. Officers are a little bit different, but I've seen a O1 go all the way to O4 in the same unit. This breeds complacency and favoritism. You know that E4 shitbag that's been in for 9 years and can't pass a PT test? Good luck kicking him out, he was your COs gunner when the CO was a PL. Wonder why your platoon keeps getting worse equipment and shittier details than 2nd? The CO used to be their PL, and makes sure to revolve the schedule around them.

Not to mention that they do one deployment in 6 years and act like they're the hardest motherfuckers to ever wear the uniform. It's infuriating and frustrating. The first time I yelled at a private for not saluting the CO, he walked over and said, "Sarnt we don't really worry about that a whole lot here," I knew I made a bad decision.

If you want to lead man, do it full time. Who knows, you might even like it. You sound like you would. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.
>>
>>30189497
>>30189620

That makes sense, I'll have to see how my civilian career pans out first.

I'm not the bragging type, but I do give respect where it is due, and any one who served deserves it. I don't see those subordinate to me in any capacity less important or less capable, I see them as part of the team, and I lead by example; it means getting down and dirty just like everybody else and being a role model.

Taking responsibility for others means being on top of my game and being fair, firm and consistent with everyone.

I do appreciate the insight, its a big commitment to take for anyone, and going in where I can do my country best is what matters most to me; because it'll reflect better later on. To me its the same flag, no matter the uniform.
>>
>>30185743
They're basically the exact same as military police in army, not infantry. That said not a bad job, and the air force is objectively the best branch. Only way they'd get more training is if you went ravens.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.