[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How easily can you kill a Challenger 2?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
I want to join the military and becoming a tank crewman seemed cool, until I watched all the syrian ATGM videos. How easily can a modern western tank get blown the fuck up? Specifically, a challenger 2 with the usual british kit.
>>
File: ATGM tank.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ATGM tank.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
example of an ATGM video
>>
File: 1_mc341.jpg (140 KB, 743x557) Image search: [Google]
1_mc341.jpg
140 KB, 743x557
>>30184166
Realize that is a video of a T-55 eating a missile that is probably 40 years newer than it, an upper glacis hit is not going to penetrate a Challenger 2.
>>
>>30184152
Aim for the cleavage.
>>
>>30184152
You will probably spend your entire career never doing what you are trained to do apart from BATUS, pretty much all tankies sent to Afghanistan and Iraq drove other vehicles or were in an Infantry role.
>>
>>30184152
If you're Brit, I'll be more worried of friendly fire.
>>
>>30184331
That's pretty disappointing. What's a good combat role where I get to learn something? I was also thinking of combat engineering - I have some experience with engineering already.

Or combat medic. Just really anything where i'm not a bullet sponge

>>30184254
Is there no modern weaponry that the insurgents have that could kill a modern challenger?
>>
>>30184400
Nothing is unkillable, your video represents a scenario where a Challenger would be fine.
>>
If you were to line up all the tanks of the world and shoot them with progressively stronger weapons in the front hull, front turret and side challenger 2 would be the last tank alive. However there are still plenty of weapons that can kill it. Any air launched atgm or any top attack missile will do.
>>
>>30184400
>Is there no modern weaponry that the insurgents have that could kill a modern challenger?

Of course there is, otherwise ol' Britania would rule the world again.

The thing is, old shit breaks when you sneeze on it, modern shit simply needs to be used properly.
Let a goatfucker sneak up behind you and it's going to be your last tea no matter what AT equipment he has.
>>
>>30184152
Considering a Challenger 2 received several or so hits from a MILAN-2 ATGM and lived with no damage minus maybe a dent and some paint scratched off, you'll be fine.
>>
>>30184152
Just put a potato in the barrel.

Fucking Arabs can't into war.
>>
>>30184152
Challenger got knocked out by RPG-29 to the lower front plate.
>>
>>30184152

Challenger 2 isn't even that advanced, the british use more money on paying people to say it's good than actually updating it, it's unpar with the T-90 from the 1990s, and has barely been upgraded since.

As far as I know, they're scrapping it now in favour of making a whole new tank.
>>
File: Challenger 2 (12).jpg (407 KB, 1280x831) Image search: [Google]
Challenger 2 (12).jpg
407 KB, 1280x831
>>30187759

It wasn't just "lower plate", it was more like the join between the lower glacis and the belly while it was rising up over a ditch. And it wasn't "knocked out", it suffered a crew injury, who drove it back himself anyway. "Knocked out" is if the tank is rendered incapable of activity, offensive or defensive. It was just forced to retreat for medical recovery. The tank itself was essentially undamaged.

Besides, the entire area has a massive Dorchester block on it now. So regardless of your thoughts on that incident or not, that areas completely covered now.
>>
>>30188580
And the tank was back on duty the next day. Driver lost his foot in the end though.
>>
>>30186416
muh gorillion RPGs
>>
>>30187759
>"""""knocked out""""""
>Driven back under its own power by the only crew member that was injured, the driver, who suffered injuries to his foot (but didn't lose it)
>>
>>30188963
I thought he lost his toes but not the whole foot
>>
File: falcon_turret.jpg (78 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
falcon_turret.jpg
78 KB, 600x400
>>30184152
Apparently British Army has requested for Chally 2 modernization (and seems like it will be approved by the cabinet)

I wonder why does it take so long. Jordan (with less resource and inferior military industry) are able to put an indigenous (and innovative) way of transforming its older Chally-1 tank into 21st century tank (shedding additonal weight and extra crew and enables their tank to use modern APFSDS round as well as GL-ATGM)
>>
>>30190156
>I wonder why does it take so long
Money.
>>
>>30190156

Priorities, mostly. While they always wanted to upgrade it, the British Forces have always had things that needed the budget each year far more, for the most part. MBTs while important have not been a critical factor for them as much, being an island nation (compared to Jordon with many land neighbours with instability.) Now that a lot of the big ticket things are getting out of the way (Astutes, Type 45's, Carriers, Typhoon) the Challies are finally getting their turn.

Army is due a little loving lately with CR2MkII, Ajax, Warrior LEP, Land-Ceptor, MICV, Virtus and Watchkeeper all being integrated or about to be. Good times ahead. Royal Artillery should have its future mapped out soon too, can't wait to find out what goodies come with it.
>>
>>30184166
I'm always amazed when the crew manages to get out. Or, at least some of the crew.
>>
>>30190156
Jordan has not adopted that turret, it is merely a tech demonstrator.
>>
File: guy escapes atgm tank hit.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
guy escapes atgm tank hit.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>30190968
Here's another

>>30190156
That looks weird tho. Like a bodybuilder with huge thighs but a skinny long ass neck
>>
>>30184152
Kornets can kill it.

Was made to destroy heavy tanks, in a world of MBT's
>>
>>30192125

man, those blowout panels really do work
>>
>>30184370
>When you dedicate your air support to a different nation.
>>
>>30192125
That head-over-heels projectile and singular plate getting blown 8-10m into the air get me every time for that video.

>Be tank driver
>Set up shade so me and m8s can have midday tea and bombscits
>suddenly some IS chucklefucks hit us with an ATGM
>HOLYSHITASSAD.ackbar
>I THINK THE ENGINE IS ON FIRE
>ABANDON SHIP
>Turn around just in time to see one of the plates EXPLODE off of the back and hit Assad in the face
>such is life in syria
>>
>>30193027

In certain places, it's certainly not getting through the front turret, and the upper hull except for the vision block.

The lower glacis is iffy with the add-on armor.

And of course, every modern ATGM has no problems killing any MBT from the side.
>>
>>30193136
It's more like you're working with the other nation, didn't really request air support, but the other nation decides that you're an enemy vehicle regardless.
>>
>>30193143
>That head-over-heels projectile

Metis
>>
>>30193182
Even if it does not penetrate it stands a good chance of breaking the sight head, antennas, and other external sensors and if it the tank is really unlucky, kill or injure the commander while he is out his hatch observing.
>>
We don't know, because not a single one has been lost to enemy fire of ANY kind.

And this isn't the burger goalpost moving of not lost to fire from another tank, no Challenger II has ever been lost to IEDs, ATGMs, Tanks or anything else.
>>
>>30193143
>>30193362
Nice to see the protected ammo stowage worked as designed
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.