[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First shotgun thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 1454222710782.jpg (282 KB, 1000x1005) Image search: [Google]
1454222710782.jpg
282 KB, 1000x1005
So i'm barely 18 and fully leagle to buy a gun, only question is what shotgun do I get. I'm pretty much going to exclusively use it for trap and skeet and am looking to keep it in the cheaper side. Ive been told the 1187 is good some places and others I've been told they are terrible. But I digress. What is /k/'s thoughts on this? Any suggestions. And oh yea my only criteria are as follows
>12g
>under $800 preferably under $500
>semi or break action
>wood stock (my ma thinks all synthetic stock guns are evil baby killer weapons)
>>
870 wingmaster
>>
>>30181447
sorry, forgot to elaborate. i know you asked for a semi or break action, but i suggested the wingmaster because its an affordable and solid option, albeit in the pump variety. its also quite affordable at $500 give or take
>>
>>30181440
I would suggest Something made by TriStar I love their shotguns, check out their website.
>>
>>30181466
That's what I was thinking but I think it would be hard to do doubles where I have to rack the slide while tracking clays. Also everyone at my trap and skeet club says that a pump is pretty usless for trap and skeet.
>>
>>30181548
Pumps are fine for singles, but are less than desirable for doubles or skeet.

For trap and skeet, you are looking more for an O/U. I shoot an autoloader and like it, but it is still less than optimal. I generally don't recommend Turkish break guns, but if you can get something like a CZ or even the Mossberg, where the warranty is handled in the US, you might consider that. They are what you pay for and don't hold up to the insane round counts competitive shooters will hit.

Used is also an option. Savage made a good line of O/U in the past, and they are affordable today. You may also find a deal on a used Winchester or Ruger, but that is less likely in your price range.

Also, get an older 1100 or 1187 if you go that route. Remington is having QC issues. Most guns are probably fine, but they are being catty about warranty work.
>>
>>30181440
my roommate bought a pretty nice 870 from academy for like 500 bucks, but you said you want to do trap and skeet so thats kind of irrelevant

Honestly I'd look for some old double barrell or something on armslist
>>
Winchester model 12.

It's literally the best shotgun ever made. (And it's within your price range)
>>
>>30181447

My negro.

Grandfather's 870 wingmaster sits on my gun rack and still looks brand new, take it clay shooting every weekend.
>>
>>30181440
Don't buy a gun until you learn how to spell legal or beagle not really sure what you were going for.
>>
>>30181809
Is he black? I saw a black dude buying an 870 at academy a while back when I bought a Glock 19
>>
File: 870.jpg (285 KB, 3448x484) Image search: [Google]
870.jpg
285 KB, 3448x484
>>30181447
This. Got an old, dirty '51 Wingmaster for $250. It cleaned up very well, and it's one of my favorite guns.

Shitty pic, but dat 30 inch bbl
>>
Can't go wrong with a used, older 1100.

Also consider the Stoeger 3000 and 3500 autoloader (would not recommend a Stoeger O/U). No wood option, but it's basically a Benelli with a cheaper fit and finish and at less than 1/2 the cost.of a Benelli. The Franchi Affinity is the same thing, but nicer and made in Italy and still within your price range. They're all based on the Benelli action, which is known for reliability and is stupid easy to maintain and clean.
>>
>>30182358
Beretta also makes affordable semi-autos and are probably more suited for skeet/trap.
>>
Literally 4 hours ago I got a used Mossberg 500 for $250. I can't really give advice, since it's my first shotgun as well, but it's generally well regarded.
>>
>>30182182
nah white as can be. Cool guy, but very bubba
Guess thats what I get for living in florida, love him to death though
>>
>>30181966
Yea sorry, just got a new phone and im not use to the size so i misspell things and it auto-corrects half way through words. i know its "legal".
>>
>>30181809
so for a double barrel would a SxS be ok? i figure if i was to go down that path i would want to get one with exposed hammers so i could store it with shells in the chamber and the hammers down. Also do the make O/U with two triggers? i just kinda like the reliability and choice a SxS gives. and thanks for the imput
>>
>>30181816
I thought about it. They make great collectors items, but what about the usability for trap and skeet? and if im going pump why not go for an 870 or win 1897?
>>
>>30182257
How is the used winchester market? I live in the Peoples republic of Maryland and guns are pretty uncommon here. do you know how common it is to find a used 97 or 12?
>>
>>30182358
I've considered the stogers but the guys at my local range say they are a bust. any experience with one?
>>
>>30182426
yea i heard about the A300's but how expensive are they?
>>
Got a Savage model 69 rxl series e yesterday for $150. It's a pump action, so not exactly what you are looking for. It fits 2¾ and 3". Perfect for HD. Looks damn near brand new. The guy also threw in 35 3" Magnum buckshot and 5 3" Magnum slugs.

My point is, there are some really good deals in shotguns out there if you take your time and look around. I did get mine at my favorite lgs that gets A LOT of business from me (if that matters). I almost picked up a benelli semi (from them last week) for $275. Wound up getting 2 ARs instead.
>>
>>30182765
>>30182796
Good luck on finding a Winchester 1897 for a reasonable price. I've been looking for quite awhile now. The norinco clones are way overpriced aswell. Although, they are some badass shotguns. My favorite model actually.
>>
>>30182738
why would you want to store it loaded? Just wondering. would it be for home defense too?

I'd say that sounds good to me, but I'm not too huge on Skeet and trap, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I've just done some recreational trap with a pump, SxS and semi, and I thought the sxs was a good choice
>>
>>30182957
IKR! The exposed hammer and the sleek design with old fashion virtues. A+ but thats why im skeptical on finding one that works and is sub $750 no way i will pay more than that for a pump. might as well get a semi or break.
>>
>>30183057
At the gun show last week there was a NIB Norinco 97. It was $550. Without all the cool trench gun features. Just the box and the shotgun.
>>
>>30182992
Im just doing this for rec too. Probably shoot a max of 150 rds per month. And it would be somewhat for HD but not too much bc i live in a good neighborhood and long barrels are a bit unwieldy for indoors especially when the barrel is 30". A SxS is good for that BS the action is almost non existent as the barrel and stock house all the components for the gun which shortens up the length by a few inches.
>>
>>30183112
then definitely go SxS i'd say. worst case, you get one without hammers and don't store rounds in them, just buy a small sack and you wrap around the stock and keep rounds in there

My roommate did that when he had his bolt action since we used it for HD too but live in a really nice neighborhood so we didn't worry much
>>
>>30183203
Any SxS you recomend?
>>
>>30183398
that part I can't help with. I'm not a huge shotgun guy, but I can do a bit of googlefu real quick
>>
>>30183398
http://www.armslist.com/posts/5549938/oklahoma-city-oklahoma-shotguns-for-sale--stoeger-coach-gun-supreme

What about this sexy thing?
>>
>>30183472
Pretty nice but the barrel might be a bit short for clays. although i love the finish and price.
>>
>>30183512
ah damn, didn't notice it was 20

http://www.armslist.com/posts/4419110/greenville-georgia-shotguns-for-sale-trade--16-ga-lefever

This? It's 16 GA but 28 inch

You can literally just go on arms list and put your zip code in and click SxS and you got a list of a bunch
>>
>>30183543
Pretty nice gunna do some looking myself. Thanks for the links.
>>
>>30183571
arms list is literally the best thing ever, keep it bookmarked my nigga
>>
>>30183588
Yea Yea my boi
>>
>>30183611
oh shit whaddup
>>
>>30181440
Just bought a Benelli SuperNova with a 14" barrel and collapsible stock (30" OAL collapsed). $1,059 Canuckbucks including shipping and 13% sales tax. The shell-stop on the handguard is great for switching ammo on the fly, and even though 3.5" shells are a meme, it's good to know that the SuperNova can handle them.

I assume you are in the USA so get one with an 18" barrel to avoid the NFA bullshit. The MSRP is $500 but you can probably find cheaper if you look around. you won't be disappointed.
>>
>>30183588
>armslist
>post update

i cri every time

the update ruined that website, i used to be able to search down to a science, now its like HUURRRR GUNS
>>
>>30181440
>pic

Why is that girl not helping out by cleaning the Mauser
Lazy bitch
>>
>>30186418
Because she needs to keep her hands clean and soft for when shes handling his weapon.
>>
Shot Trap for the first time last weekend, literally 0 hits.
How do I overcome the urge to aim?
>>
File: cz-usa-hammer-coach.png (86 KB, 788x525) Image search: [Google]
cz-usa-hammer-coach.png
86 KB, 788x525
Ok here
So what do people think about the hammered CZ Coach guns. They are a bit out of my price range but they have a real good,action,and,i hear they are high quality. Is it worth the price of would a cheaper come from 1874 be more worth it?
>>
>>30181440
I bought a new 11-87 and it seems to cycle well with minimal cleaning. Probably put ~300 rds through it now. Even light stuff (2¾"-#8) seems to cycle well. It's yet to malfunction. It's a little heavy but that's fine for newer shooters (less recoil with 12GA). The gas operation also helps. Inertia semiautos (like the Stoegers) are smaller/slimmer but the action doesn't mitigate as much of the recoil.
>>
>>30187068
external hammers are gay
>>
>>30187138
yeah nah you're a cunt
>>
File: 1457619108618.jpg (35 KB, 480x707) Image search: [Google]
1457619108618.jpg
35 KB, 480x707
>>30187138
>>
File: 1456792118742.png (163 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1456792118742.png
163 KB, 325x325
>>30181440
>tfw the guns make my dick wiggle more than the QT
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.