[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain railguns to me? What are they, how do they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: general-atomics-railgun1.jpg (118 KB, 770x493) Image search: [Google]
general-atomics-railgun1.jpg
118 KB, 770x493
Can someone explain railguns to me? What are they, how do they work, what role will they play in warfare, what will they replace if anything?
>>
>>30180580
>>>/google/
>>
>what will they replace

once we can power them, everything.
>>
>>30180580
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun
>>
>>30180580
They will replace medium-range missiles (<500nm). Anything farther out needs a powered munition or it will lose too much energy.
>>
>>30180580
Electromagnets are used to pull a solid slug down a barrel at super hihg speed.

In theory, railguns can be used for any weapon role, but the power needed right now for anything good is only really feasible aboard a ship. The first railguns will be used for naval guns.
>>
>Can someone explain railguns to me?
What kind of fuckwit question is that? You know how magnets push each other apart? Imagine that but supercharged and being used to propel projectiles. How could you possibly need that explained to you? Christ.
>>
File: magnets.jpg (17 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
magnets.jpg
17 KB, 640x359
>>30180625
>>
>>30180617
>pull
>lorentz force
>pull

You had a 50% chance of guessing right and you fucked up, anon.
>>
>>30180625

So railguns are essentially an admission that pic related is needed in the modern world?
>>
>>30180580
>What are they
Electromagnetic cannons
>How do they work
Fucking google it
>what role will they pay in warfare
Shooting down missiles and airplanes
>>
>>30180954
These
>>
>>30180625
>Railguns
>Magnets

That's a Gauss gun you nigger.
>>
>>30180954
No. Battleship guns have shit range and no guidance, they were based on desperately spamming shells on the hope that eventually one will hit.

Railguns are about pinpoint hypersonic strikes from hundreds of km or nm away.
>>
>>30181075
We made it 11 posts in before the battleship fag showed up.
>>
>>30180580
>never played any of the Metal Gear games
>>
>>30180617
>>30180683
Also, I don't really think the rails qualify as electro magnets.

Hes thinking of a gaus gun
>>
>>30181101
"A railgun is an electromagnetic projectile launcher based on similar principles to the homopolar motor. A railgun uses a pair of parallel conductors, or rails, along which a sliding armature is accelerated by the electromagnetic effects of a current that flows down one rail, into the armature and then back along the other rail"

Copy of the first paragraph from the Wiki.
>>
>tfw when you wont live to see CC'able railguns
>>
>>30180580
op have you ever worried that bullets are too slow? have you ever worried that we have to much loose energy sitting around?

well maybe you have heard of RAILGUNS. the new fangled solution to too much energy, and too little speed. soon well see these bad body hucking tungsten bricks at speed that will make your testicles shrivel and your mouth moist.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.