[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did japshit infantry do against burger infantry in WWII?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: japanese-soldiers-on-the-march.jpg (46 KB, 600x446) Image search: [Google]
japanese-soldiers-on-the-march.jpg
46 KB, 600x446
How did japshit infantry do against burger infantry in WWII?
>>
They lost
>>
>>30178629
Rekt until we keked. They estimated 100,000 Marines would die if we took them conventionally, so we barbequed them to save American lives.

Plus: It was nevva been dun b4
>>
>>30178629
infantry or marines?
>>
>>30178629

Pretty garbage conventionally, even if by kill ratios alone.

And most of their good shit was fighting the chinks.
>>
File: 1423605577654.jpg (258 KB, 1075x473) Image search: [Google]
1423605577654.jpg
258 KB, 1075x473
>>30180039
>>30180047
It's begun.
>>
They managed a succesful kill death ratio against Muhreens in two battle, Phillipines IIRC and that one northern island where burgers and canucks landed and lost several hundred guys despite there being no nips on the island. Almost every other battle was massively in burger favour.
>>
>>30178629

They didnt have MGs or flamethrowers because all of that was in China and the General Staff made an absolutely retarded decision to piss in the eye of the US and dare it to come up its ass guarded by reservists who were easily cutoff from supply and limited to mostly bolt action rifles.

If I were Hirohito I would have beheaded every single goddamn admiral. Their whole reason was just to flex nuts. The Japanese Officer staff absolutely failed the Japanese Enlistef men. There was not even a risk of American victory. It was assured as long as the Sino Conflict was going, and everybody in the Empire knew it.
>>
>>30180082
True. Which the Japanese were entrenched and defending. Pretty impressive.
>>
>>30180100
Japan lost before it even engaged the US
couldn't win in China without US refineries
couldn't win against the US
Japan put itself into a no win situation
>>
>>30180082

They also had a positive casualty ratio on Iwo Jima.
>>
>>30180100
You got it backwards. Best units and equipment went to the Pacific and Burma theaters. Units left in China were reserves and conscripts without any equipments.
>>
>>30180213
You can't have a negative casualty ratio.
>>
>>30180250

I just meant that the Yanks sustained more casualties than the Japs on Iwo Jima.
>>
>>30178629
They were poorly equipped (most japanese small arms of the time were basically lel kek tier quality). Their leadership was shit at logistics. Supposedly they were well regarded when it came to small unit tactics but it's hard to say if they were actually better than US infantry.
>>
>>30180393

From what I've heard their small arms were decent, at least when it came to rifles and machine guns.
>>
>>30180409
Maybe rifles, not so much machine gun. The idea of putting a fucking oiler on a ZB vz. 26 clone was goofy as fuck. I suppose their actual WWII designs were okay, but their production simply couldn't keep up and they fielded some pretty outdated MGs.
>>
>>30180466

Ian called the Type 96 and 99 lmgs the best ones of the war, but I suppose that's just his opinion.
>>
>>30180213
>>30180299
Incorrect
>>
>>30180100
If anything it was the army that basically went rogue and occupied China, which made war with the US inevitable and left it to the navy to deal with the fallout.

>>30180103
Not so impressive when you realize the absolutely massive amounts of amounts of air and navy support that the marines and army had.
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 640x1136
>>30180299
Not even close lel
>>
>>30180534
Yeah, well Navy and Marines work together.

Should they have asked the Navy not to shell the beach because they wanted hard mode?
>>
>>30180607
Casualties include wounded. More dead would mostly like be correct but not more casualties.
>>
Jap k/d vs US was sorta close but not positive for a few islands. Most notable was Okinawa.

Jap was best at fighting China. But then again everyone is good at fighting China
>>
>>30180722
>Dead and missing
>>
They managed to kill and injure 300+ troops without even being on the same island.

Operation Cottage was amazing.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet%E2%80%93Japanese_border_conflicts

They couldn't even beat the Soviets, from what I've read the BIGGEST BIGGEST BIGGEST problem of the Japanese army was LOGISTICS. The Japanese officer corps had become so idiotically macho that there was a very poor understanding of supply and supply management. Shipments were always late or insufficient even before the war with the Americans. Ammunition shortages were common, equipment that was damaged was just cast aside as there was no real way to fix anything, Japanese soldiers lived off the land in China, stealing what they could. It was a disaster and the war with the US just made things even worse.
>>
In the beginning when the Japanese were well supplied they put up an impressive fight and observers on the Allied side held the average Japanese infantryman in very high regard. The problem was that the logistics train very quickly broke down with Japan needing to supply 5 different army groups in 3 different theatres, three of which were only really accessible by water. Basically they had the Nazi's problem on fucking steroids, and it's rather surprising they held out as long as they did with the absolutely abysmal supply situation. I wish I could remember the figure but the book "Rise and Fall of the Japanese Empire" did an excellent job in covering that aspect. Something like 70% of total Japanese deaths occured due to starvation, and it was common for units to completely out of ammunition and food and never get any. Entire squads would some times have to resort to pilfering American weapons, stealing American food was a constant priority, and banzai charges on the platoon and company level were often done as a last resort because of ammunition shortages.

The real strength of the IJA was also its biggest weakness. It was fanatical beyond reason or even modern comprehension. These were people that, upon realizing their situation was hopeless, would strap grenades, bombs, and bayonets and charge heavily fortified American positions. While usually ineffective there were several instance of deep penetration by these desperate suicide units. I think it was either Okinawa or Saipan where one Japanese battalion had run out of everything and did a last ditch charge, broke through the first and nearly the second American line and only stopped because too many soldiers stopped their charge to eat captured MREs because they were literally starving to death. Unfortunately the reliance on the "Spirit" of the Soldier was so ingrained into all levels of the Army that they would carry out operations without the proper equipment.
>>
>>30182083
The Navy was better supplied, but it too suffered from the same Samurai spirit. Experienced captains would often choose to go down with their ship to spare their honor, and suicide was a common response to failure among the General Staff which certainly did not help the problems suffered by the mid-war Japanese. All of these doctrinal issues were only compounded on by the fact that the Japanese Army didn't have a lot of Great War experience, and while they have many clever solutions to problems (like the Type 89 Knee Mortar fuck that this is ingenious) the shortage of automatic weapons cost them dearly, but not so much that it could make up for the sheer deficiency in new designs. That, of course, was a problem that couldn't really be solved when whole cities were being wiped off the map courtesy of the USAAC. While bombing wasn't terribly effective in Germany is did a number on the Japanese production. By 1944 the Home Islands were suffering from massive food shortages, and by '45 they likely would've suffered mass starvation before allied boots actually hit the dirt. It wouldn't have stopped the resistance from being utterly demonic, but a lot of people would've died before shots were fired.
>>
>>30180897
>They couldn't even beat the Soviets
I don't get what the implication is, considering neither the Germans or the Italians could either.
>>
>>30178629

Poorly

They were however pretty decent against Bongtroopers early in the war.
>>
>>30182211
He's talking about the the border skirmishes at Khalkhin Gol when the affects of Stalin's purges were still fresh in 1939. The Japanese basically got curbstomped at the height of their military power in the Asian Mainland.
>>
>>30180884
Yankee ship struck a mine and lost about 309 men. Those troops comprised the majority of casualties by a fuck-huge margin.
>>
File: Japanese Infantry.png (94 KB, 931x766) Image search: [Google]
Japanese Infantry.png
94 KB, 931x766
>>30182083

I didn't read sources from allied military observers that gave very high regards to the Japanese infantryman.

Every fight they had against the US in the Pacific had them taking much more than they gave. During Guadalcanal, they had equal numbers on the island, naval supremacy, and still lost by a huge margin.

When they got outnumbered by the Marines they lost even worse.
>>
>>30179980

/thread
>>
>>30180103
>True. Which the Japanese were entrenched and defending. Pretty impressive.
Helps that they were starved for weeks beforehand.
>>
>>30180227
>You got it backwards. Best units and equipment went to the Pacific and Burma theaters. Units left in China were reserves and conscripts without any equipments.
Are you high? Plan South was the IJN's idea; there is no fucking way the IJA would subordinate their own regular troops let alone the cream of the crop away from China- their prize, under their rival's plan.
And it showed- All of the forces they sent were barely trained, armed and reinforced by a lot by collaborators both local and from mainland China.
>>
>>30182083
You posted what I was going to. The Jap banzai spirit carried them in Malaya, Singapore and Phillipines. They were good jungle fighters probably because they stoically endured the jungle while European forces couldn't stand it until the Chindits were raised. Read how the Japs captured Singapore despite being outgunned and not having the conventional 3:1 ratio.
>>
>>30180607
>25k is less than 21k
yea sure thing bruv
even if you count the ones in hiding
>25k is less than 24k
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.