[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Survival kits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: FS397884-441546.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FS397884-441546.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
Just picked up a canner.
What items that can fit in a 3" or 4" diameter can would you consider essential?
>>
>>30171189

Feces
>>
>>30171189
can-opener
and feces
>>
Is it possible to can ammo? Like a spam can but more portable? Can you maybe get those pull-tab lids tharlt always break?
>>
>>30173592
What about feces-tipped ammo packed in compliment?
>>
>>30173592
Couple companies already can ammo. The pull tab lids are something like 25ยข each.
>>
>>30173602
>Cosmoline

I hate my faggot phone so much
>>
>>30171189
Cool, where'd you get it & how much?

Is the process similar to canning food in Ball jars? I do that already but actual cans are so much more shelf-stable/durable/efficient in terms of space usage
>>
>>30173635
Canadian gov. surplussed a few from the fisheries research centres. Was under $200

Been thinking of a two can system. One would have the usual survival items like fishing and fire starting gear, the other small food and drink items. Been looking for a water filter that's under 4" in length instead of the typical iodine tabs.
Wondering what items or high energy density foods /k/ feels they need in their own kits.
>>
>>30173742
> <200 looniedoodles

Good job anon. So do you fill the feces or whatever to the top then seal up and process in a pressure canner or what
>>
File: iron-rations-armour.jpg (77 KB, 560x341) Image search: [Google]
iron-rations-armour.jpg
77 KB, 560x341
>>30171189
Making something like a modern Iron Ration might be neat.

>Pemmican in a smaller tin
>vacuum packed spice packet
>salt and pepper
>something high in energy and sugar like bittersweet chocolate or peanut butter for moral
>something hot and instant like coffee or tea
>sugar packs with non dairy creamer
>powdered drink mix
>foil wrapped esbit tablets with a wire stand
>emergency strike anywhere matches
>vacuum packed crackers
>water purification tablets (iodine apprently lasts the longest but tastes weird)
>Oxygen absorbers in the tin packed between the item
>p51 or 38 can opener taped very secretly to side of can

It wouldn't be ideal becasue of the coating in the can but you could use the containing can and esbit tabs with the foil on the bottom as an vessel to rehydrate the pemmican as a stew with the spice pack and some crushed crackers and the pemmican tin as an impromptu cup for the hot coffee or tea
>>
>>30173592
You can and they sell pull tabs that fit in standard cans but you might need to purchase a lot and they are inherently less secure becasue of the scoring.

>>30173742
Lucky bastard.
>>
>>30171189
>What items that can fit in a 3" or 4" diameter can would you consider essential?
Beer
>>
>>30174037
I'd been looking at the German erbswurst for one food option. Nestle also makes instant coffee with creamer and sugar already in the individual pack. First found them in the IMPs and have carried them in the bush ever since.
I can get the unlined cans as well. One idea was to have markings on the can to make a hobo stove or billy.
Got a shit load of the p51 openers as well was simply going to spot weld or glue one to the lid.
>>
>>30174095
First I've heard of erbswurst, seems to be hell of a lot more convenient than my pemmican idea. Not as if you really need all the protein in an emergency ration.

I'd stick with tape just in case your knife is lost but that might be overkill.

Do you have a pressure canner? If you do you could experiment with making various concentrated soups to have some variety.
>>
>>30173592
You can but unless it is 9mm or .22 it wouldn't be worth the trouble, especially if you can just use ammo cans with good seals like a normal person.

>>30173742
If you want a can to essentially be something you can survive with long term you'd probably have to choose between that or one to have immeatly to get you through a day or so.

I'd add a Firestarter kit with matches, compressed tinder, ferro rod and maybe some fuel tabs. The mini Sawyers work well but you'd need the bags though some have modded a condiment dispenser pump to get rid of that trouble. Wouldn't leave much room for much else though. Most caloric ally dense thing you could add and eat by itself would probably be peanut butter or chocolate but that would be not particularly filling...
>>
>>30174037
that probably wouldn't be the most efficient thing to do, but it would definitely be neat.

throw in toilet paper, vitamins and some sanitzer/alcohol wipes and you'll be set for a day per can.

I'ld probably opt for vacuum bagging the pemmican/meal and using a pull top cat-food-can-style lid on the main one instead of dealing with the insanity of a hundred taped on can openers though.
>>
File: CannedLightbulbs.jpg (69 KB, 476x290) Image search: [Google]
CannedLightbulbs.jpg
69 KB, 476x290
>>
>>30175689
Just have a can full of can openers
>>
>>30173555
>>
>>30174037
>>30175689

I'd buy it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.