[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss picture related? Let's say a battalion of Marin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 17
File: Screenshot_20160604-174620.png (881 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160604-174620.png
881 KB, 1440x2560
Discuss picture related?
Let's say a battalion of Marines versus the full might of the Roman empire.
If you were the Marine commander how would you deal with this situation? How about if you were Roman?
Full article: http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a7341/rome-sweet-rome-could-a-single-marine-unit-destroy-the-roman-empire/
>>
File: 1445726977925.jpg (31 KB, 599x383) Image search: [Google]
1445726977925.jpg
31 KB, 599x383
>>30169949
How boring. Here's a better hypothetical
>>
>If you were the Marine commander how would you deal with this situation?
Reach the highest, most remote bit of land possible and defend that.

>How about if you were Roman?
Let them starve themselves out. Without fuel and transport, they're essentially a less mobile version of an equivalent sized Roman outfit with no knowledge of the local land or language.. They might have small arms, but they still need to sleep and eat. With very little knowledge of how to hunt among them without rifles (especially in the volume needed to feed an entire battalion), a few weeks of avoiding their fire would ensure you had the upper hand.
>>
It only would take one roman to stap the commander
>>
>implying that a few Marines could stop a few hundred thousand Hastatii
>>
>>30169949

The Marines will just all die of disease and dehydration before the Romans can even show up.
>>
Could easily play on the "The gods are on our side" bit if one of them had a rifle with a suppressor and decent camo.

Stand on field. Shout something like "In the name of (insert god of war here), strike this soldier dead" Point towards soldier, soldier drops dead.
>>
>>30169949
>Use power and tech to gain audience with someone important
>Praetorian Guard 2.0: King Maker's Bugaloo
>Use knowledge of history and modern tech to industrialize the Roman Empire
>Jump human civilization toward several hundred years
So basically a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court with a bigger gap and more people.
>>
>>30170054

Romans understand English now?

Also, you're letting the Roman army within shouting distance while you have the better long range weapons.
>>
>>30170069
We have time travel technology now? It's a fucking movie, and there could be one dipshit on the team who speaks Latin or whatever they spoke back then.

Also, back then leaders of armies regularly approached each other and discussed surrender terms and / or smacktalked before the battle.
>Commander flanked by 2 soldiers walks up from US side
>general with bodyguards from roman side
>"Surrender, the gods are on our side."
>"no they aint"
>"As proof the gods are on our sides, Ares/Mars will strike that man dead"
>*thwip*, soldier is ded.
>"We surrender"
>>
>>30170054
The Roman Empire was Christian longer than their original faith, regardless, you could also just use a radio
>Talk into this box and hear your lord's voice
>Ooga booga dis og rite here is yo boss now
If/When that fails, then you shoot them in the face. At least you wouldn't be considered needlessly violent this way.

>>30170069
>No one speaks Latin
>We don't have translating machines
>What is a parley
>>
>>30170115
>*thwip*, soldier is ded.
>HEATHENS! PURGE! PURGE THE HERETICS! THEY DEFILE THIS EARTH WITH THEIR DEMON MAGIC!
>>
>>30170120
True, but I was trying to avoid the really retarded cliches.

>only communicate with boss / snitch via computer / texts
>IT WAS AN MS13 BOSS THE WHOLE TIME!
>DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

>>30170131
You just went full retard. Never go full retard.
>>
>>30170115

>We have time travel technology now?
That doesn't make your plan less stupid.

>It's a fucking movie,
It is?

>and there could be one dipshit on the team who speaks Latin or whatever they spoke back then.
Show me a marine that speaks fluent Latin.

>Also, back then leaders of armies regularly approached each other and discussed surrender terms and / or smacktalked before the battle.
lol
Go read a book.

>>30170120
>>No one speaks Latin
see above
>>We don't have translating machines
Is that standard issue?
>>What is a parley
Hollywood nonsense.
>>
>>30170138
Why would they keep talking to 'god'? All you do is have him say the marines are there in his stead and to obey his every word.

>"In the name of (insert god of war here), strike this soldier dead"
Honestly that sounds more like a cliche to me

>>30170139
So said anything about fluent? You don't need much, and if the battalion has a chaplin, it's not unreasonable.

>Is that standard issue?
Is it not? And even if it isn't.
>Find local
>Teach English over time
>Use as translator

>Hollywood nonsense.
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>30170139
see >>30170120

It's a discussion about current-gen US Marines vs the Roman Empire. Of fucking course shit ain't gonna make sense and / or there's going to be plot armor. If you're this autistic about a theoretical discussion about sending a squad of United States Marines back in time to fight the Romans and you can't believe that we'd send a translator, /r9k/ is thataway --->

>>30170184
>Honestly that sounds more like a cliche to me
Meh, true. But I'm more sick of the "hurr only talk via texts" cliche. Wonder if there's something else I'm just missing...
>>
>>30170138
I think you underestimate the possibility of them just accusing you of being pagans and killing you. Especially since like >>30170120
said, the Romans were Christians longer, and suddenly you show up and start talking about Ares which is Greek, or Mars which is a good bit out of date, while using what looks to them to be evil magic. I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'd just stab you in the face and charge.
>>
>>30170184

>>Is that standard issue?
>Is it not? And even if it isn't.
What would ever posses you to think that a battalion of US Marines are running around with "translator machines"

>Find local
>Teach English over time
>Use as translator
Oh, and we'll just tell the Roman Army to give us a while, right?

You're a fucking dipshit, my man.
Even if you manage to communicate with them, your plan is on the level of wile e coyote trying to catch the roadrunner.

>Are you actually retarded?
You think important people rode out basically alone to talk to their enemy?
That's what messengers are for.
>>
>>30169949
They could never destroy it, but they could stage a coup.
>>
>>30169997
you think tacticians of old were stupid? they would encapsulate your position and hold until you died of starvation. you are also sacrificing the major point of small unit warfare, and that is mobility
>>
File: mfw15.jpg (47 KB, 621x502) Image search: [Google]
mfw15.jpg
47 KB, 621x502
>>30170207

Nigger did you actually just tell me to see a post
THAT I FUCKING REPLIED TO DIRECTLY, IN THE POST YOU FUCKING QUOTED???

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME???

Holy shit dude, what are you doing?

I don't even know why such a dumbshit thing made me sperg so fucking hard but holy fuck.

But god damn, I've been here since 2010, and never have I seen that happen. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or something, but fuck.
>>
>>30170033
REEEEEEEEE!

If its Rome at the peak of its power it would not be Hastatii. It would be post Marius reforms.
>>
File: 1443875489863.jpg (30 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1443875489863.jpg
30 KB, 514x536
>>30170224
>What would ever posses you to think that a battalion of US Marines are running around with "translator machines"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phraselator

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1048&bih=1030&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=us+marine+phraselator&oq=us+marine+phraselator

>Oh, and we'll just tell the Roman Army to give us a while, right?
Because you don't have to find a defensible position at all right? You're immediately where you want to be and don't have to go anywhere at all right? Because the Romans would find you immediately right? Because you won't bother talking to locals at all right? Right? RIGHT?!

>Even if you manage to communicate with them, your plan is on the level of wile e coyote trying to catch the roadrunner.
Not even my plan, I'm just calling out a retard.

>You think important people rode out basically alone to talk to their enemy?
Literally yes. That is literally what would happen before battles.

>>30170267
>Pic related

Are you twelve?
>>
Just send the Marines your dirtiest prostitutes and a bunch of wine. Problem solved.
>>
>>30169949
>Romans know the land
>Romans gather a couple legions and set an ambush
>Set up an ambush where close quarters give the Romans an edge
>Slaughter the Marines in ambush while the Marines make their way around

or

>Romans figure out where the Marines are
>build camps and siegeworks around the Marines position
>Starve Marines out, launch catapult and arrow barrages whenever the Marines try to get closer
>Hunt all of the local animals and enjoy your harvest and supply trains while the Marines starve

It depends on terrain and the battalion size. If the Marines are an understrength group of about 300 men, they would be shrekt. If fully sized at 800 men, they might be good for a legion in an engagement designed to be ideal for them.

But a single battalion of Marines would never be able to fight the entire Roman Empire.
>>
>>30170224
>What would ever posses you to think that a battalion of US Marines are running around with "translator machines"
We're already getting close to the level of that being commercially available tech, the military having it for actually useful reasons isn't ridiculous.
>>
>>30169997
/thread
>>
>>30170308

>>What would ever posses you to think that a battalion of US Marines are running around with "translator machines"
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phraselator

>https://www.google.com/search?biw=1048&bih=1030&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=us+marine+phraselator&oq=us+marine+phraselator

So not standard issue.
Not given to typical units.
Great, I win. Thanks for proving me right.

>>Oh, and we'll just tell the Roman Army to give us a while, right?
>Because you don't have to find a defensible position at all right? You're immediately where you want to be and don't have to go anywhere at all right? Because the Romans would find you immediately right? Because you won't bother talking to locals at all right? Right? RIGHT?!
I thought your entire plan hinged on communicating with them.
Oh, but now that you see how fucking retarded the first thing out of your mouth is, you add extra layers to it to try and make up for the obvious flaws.
Gotcha.

>>Even if you manage to communicate with them, your plan is on the level of wile e coyote trying to catch the roadrunner.
>Not even my plan, I'm just calling out a retard.
You're posting dumb shit for a dumb plan, and tying yourself into stupidity.

>>You think important people rode out basically alone to talk to their enemy?
>Literally yes. That is literally what would happen before battles.
Okay, show me proof.
>>
Why the hell does everyone here assume the Romans would be able to deploy their full might against the Burgers?

A small force is hard to engage with a big army, especially without any modern communications. Normally a small raiding force could only do so much damage with swords and spears. Not the case with Rifles and grenades, they would be the size of a raiding party with the killing power of a legion.

Also, the legions wouldnt be freed up all of a sudden, they still have every crisis to deal with that they did in real life. And they are spread over the entire empire.
>>
>>30170219
I was assuming we went back to when they were still worshipping the old gods. Sue me. Just say then that by the divine powers vested in you by The Lord, I smite this soldier. If shit hits the fan, pick off the officers from a distance.

>>30170267
please leave and never come back. Let the adults talk while you play with your coloring books.

Also fuck Hiroshimoot for tightening the spam filters.
>>
>>30170400

>Also, the legions wouldn't be freed up all of a sudden, they still have every crisis to deal with that they did in real life. And they are spread over the entire empire.

No, that's not the situation.
Reread and try again.

>btw I have no idea why you think Roman legions were constantly off fighting wars everywhere, but you should probably read up on that too before posting again.
>>
>>30169949
They're making this into a movie?
>>
>>30170424
Not him but the legions were often stationed all over the place for years
>>
>>30170408

>I have no defense for the fact that I made a retarded post, so I'll resort to telling you to leave so i can have my safe space

Some day you've got to wake up and realize that you're fucked in the head.
And that the shit you're thinking isn't making sense to anyone but you because of it.
Until you do that you're just going to keep fucking up and being retarded.
>>
archers, some capable scouts and clever use of terrain should take care of a handful of men armed with some guns in no time.
If it's a small force of marines a single mistake will lead to their doom
>>
>>30170443

>stationed

Yes, in case say, an invading group of people come in and started fucking up the place.
You know, kind of like in this exact situation we're talking about?

Things starting to become more clear now?
>>
>>30170424
They had slave revolts, rebellions, hostile barbarians. Even when they weren't expanding.

Sure they weren't fighting all the time, but that because it takes so long to move from place to place, a legion was rarely idle.
>>
File: 1444600179324.gif (1 MB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
1444600179324.gif
1 MB, 256x144
>>30170342
>So not standard issue.
Where does it say that exactly?

>Not given to typical units.
Or this.

>Great, I win. Thanks for proving me right.
Let's pretend you did and you are then,
>What is a cellphone with a translator
>What is a computer with a translator

>I thought your entire plan hinged on communicating with them.
Read >>30170308
>Not even my plan, I'm just calling out a retard.
Regardless, the point I was making was that you aren't in instant range of the Romans, it takes time. So in the meantime before they come, you teach a local english.

>You're posting dumb shit for a dumb plan, and tying yourself into stupidity.
Not really, you're just retarded.

>Okay, show me proof.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parley
This isn't exactly uncommon knowledge.

>>30170453
Literally all you've done is act retarded.

>And that the shit you're thinking isn't making sense to anyone but you because of it.
There are two people calling you out mate.
>>
>>30170464
No idea why you are mad, but let me clear something up for you, I said all over the place
A small force that infiltrates the empire would not have to face the full might of the empire, who knows how many legions will have to get decimated for the romans to wise up and coordinate the rest into a big force
Of course, if someone from our time was leading the romans, it's a whole different story, the marines stand no chance
>>
>>30170464
And Im sure they would just get on the fucking plane from Syria or England or Germany and fly on down to where the problem was...
>>
>>30170474

There is not a thing in the world I can say or do that's going to make you stop saying stupid things on the internet.
Might as well give up.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 301x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 301x395
No. Infrastructure > Technology.
>pic unrelated
>>
>>30170493
You could keep on trying to tell me Rome had its whole army on standby to fucking teleport to wherever there was a threat.
>>
It really depends on the amount of supplies thay they have. Unless they have obcene amounts of bullets, replacement parts and food the Romans could just avoid them and your average burgerclap who is insanely reliant on gps and canned food would die in a couple of days without supplies.
>>
>>30170453
>HURR TRANSLATORS MAKE NO SENSE IN A MOVIE WHERE PEOPLE TRAVEL THROUGH FUCKING TIME
>IMMA LASH OUT AT THIS MOTHERFUCKER BECAUSE I WAS CAUGHT BEING AN AUTISTIC WALNUT

You are cancer. It's a goddamn movie. Shit's going to not be the same as Real Life. Suppressors turn .308 into whispers. RPGs have no back blast. Niggers have jobs. You have to expect this.
Or are you that autistic that you watch James Bond and write a letter to the director explaining everything he did wrong?
>>
>>30170524
Nuh uh they would just go to the nearest roman Mcdonalds
And if they run low on supplies they can just take a loan from the roman federal reserves
>>
>>30169949
What happens when they run out of ammo and/or find out about the legalized prostitution in Rome?
>>
>>30170528

What movie are you talking about?
You're the only one mentioning a movie.
>>
>>30169997
They wouldn't starve. They would raid Roman homes and travelers.
Stupid Roman
>>
You retards do know that the Roman Empire didn't actually exist?
>>
archers would nibble on their already small numbers, and romans being sneaky in general would spell doom for the muh reens
>>
File: 1464851937733.gif (483 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1464851937733.gif
483 KB, 500x280
>>30169949
According to New Vegas, a cowboy and a militia sniper could pwn them utterly
>>
>>30170033
Cringe
>>
>>30170542
are.... are you blind? Did you not look at the picture in the OP? Did you not RTFA?
>>
>>30170115
>>30170131
wait, why the silencer?

Gods are loud motherfuckers, a BOOM dead would scare the Romans more than a *thwip* dead.

Then again a *thwip* dead would be unnerving already...
>>
>>30170069
You pick that one idiot lieutenant who took Latin in high school
>>
File: 1430287917136.png (388 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1430287917136.png
388 KB, 540x960
>marines spawn
>die of fresh air
>>
File: 1355258222831.jpg (55 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1355258222831.jpg
55 KB, 300x300
>>30170057
>knowledge of history and modern tech
>Marines
>>
>>30170585
Because they already had Greek Fire, and....

Well, fuck me. They know about thunder and lightning, so maybe an unsuppressed rifle in a decent caliber would be better, though I would argue a flash suppressor would be crucial. The sniper would have to be within 1000 feet though for it to work properly, I think.
>>
>>30170612
The catholics can reverse engineer anything
It's like you've never been in Rome
>>
>>30170585
Well desu, if it was me I would have gone for some small bits of C4 in a few spots, maybe some other pyrotechnics for showmanship, but I was just replying to the guy's post.

Also, bullets might be cheaper to use here, and without the suppressor on the gun, the distant (since the shooter is hidden) sound makes it seem less like divine will, at least to me.
>>
>>30170636
all you would probably have to do is make a show of force, get them to realize you mean business and accept their surrender

make them think you have inflated numbers and supplies
>>
File: 1457204422701.jpg (29 KB, 481x195) Image search: [Google]
1457204422701.jpg
29 KB, 481x195
Conquering Rome is all well and good but
could the marines do the knife only challenge?
>>
The Marines defect the minute they realize they can fuck all the men and little boys they want if they became Roman citizens.
>>
File: 1452486541584.png (405 KB, 715x715) Image search: [Google]
1452486541584.png
405 KB, 715x715
Wouldn't the Marines get arrested by Italian police as soon as they entered Rome armed?
>>
>>30170685
You are forgetting something, they have weapons from the future with them, the promise of power alone would be enough to lure most of them to try something like seizure of leadership
>>
>>30170043
That's why POGs exist
>>
File: 1453817657222.jpg (103 KB, 564x951) Image search: [Google]
1453817657222.jpg
103 KB, 564x951
>you will never operate with an anti-zombie team sent back in time to contain a virus strain from destroying our future
make it happen, resident evil 8
>>
>>30169968
>Humanity watches in horror as a enormous ball made up of trillions of dead lions slowly floats towards the sun.
>>
>>30169949
I liked it better when it was called Pax Romana and it was the Pope who sent them back in time.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Romana_(comics)
>>
>>30169968
The sun. It burns
>>
>>30170833
>implying the lions wouldn't just attack it at night
>>
>>30170139
>Show me a marine that speaks fluent Latin

I'd say a native Spanish speaking marine could pick up enough Latin to form a useful pidgin within a few months integrating with the locals.
>>
>>30170139
>Show me a marine that speaks fluent Latin.
The chaplain might take a gander
>>
File: Strong-perfects1.png (6 KB, 808x485) Image search: [Google]
Strong-perfects1.png
6 KB, 808x485
>>30170857
Especially considering that what Romans spoke wasn't Latin but vulgar Latin and phonetically speaking besides Italian and Sardinian Spanish is the closest language phonetically speaking to Latin.
>>
>>30170480
Not him but you are full on being autistic.

Some units have an interpreter, especially if they are fighting on foreign soil. Unfortunately, there are very few people who are able to speak fluent ancient latin.

>cellphones
>computer
jesus christ

>we brought a generator and fuel to power our computers/cellphones
>we are able to type out what they are saying
Imagine if you had a computer with a Chinese translator. Having that doesn't mean you can translate what they are saying, especially if you can't write it down.

Before the battle, you might send out a messenger to talk with the other army, but not your fucking general because there is nothing stopping little Severus to put your head on a pike
>>
>>30170904
God that is wrong
>>
>>30170931
At this point, I'm convinced you're one of those guys nobody wants to be around because they just talk negatively about everything, no matter what, despite not having the intelligence to actually function in society. When you watch a movie, you criticize everything, from the actors, to the shots, the filters, the weapons, everything.
You are the guy who orders a steak over rice, eats half of it, then complains and sends it back, and demands it free.
>>
>>30170207
The Marines aren't intentionally sent back, it's a bizarre mishap.
>>
>>30170437
Yep, they hired the writer to adapt it to a script.
>>
>>30171293
>Marines get sent back in time
>Better kill everything
>>
>>30170636
>the crackle of a .50 BMG rifle
>Romans can't see where it's from
>all they see is their buddies violently being torn apart by an unseen force
>>
>THA ROMANS WULD JUST SEEJ THE MARINES!!!
I can only imagine them trying...

>alright, Flavius, Jonius, Ronius, Tomius, station, let's line up all our soldiers in big, menacing lines and sit here 200 yards away -- well outside of their arrow range. If they do decide to use arrows, we have these shields made out of straw that will definitely catch the arrows!

It'd be a contest for the marines just to see who could get the most kills with one shot.
>>
>>30170857
>months
try weeks.

After taking a 7th grade Spanish class, I could understand, basically, what was going on when reading 1200-year-old latin inscribed in an old cathedral.

It'd sound clumsy and goofy, but you'd find important words and gestures and grunts go a long way.
>>
>>30170543
See
>>30170248
>>
File: 1451342781455.jpg (44 KB, 599x799) Image search: [Google]
1451342781455.jpg
44 KB, 599x799
>>30171526
>the marines would only be armed with knives, clubs, and their wieners!
>>
It kind of depends on time periods and shit, but let's say Rome is at the height of her power. Assuming they bring the heavy firepower and explosives like landmines, I think the USMC would eventually win out, albeit with heavy casualties. Their weapons do penetrate thin steel armor like Soviet helmets but may not be similarly effective against layered armor like what the ancients wore- steel over hard leather or compressed linen, which was surprisingly tough. The issue here is that the Marines can and have studied the Roman Legions, and their tactics, arms and armor. The Legions have had no such chance with the Marines, and have no understanding of weapons like landmines, frag 'nades and light machine guns. Know your enemy and know yourself. Additionally, the Roman Legions were set up to conquer and hold territory versus basically tribal savages. They weren't meant to fight against a group of well-trained guerrilla fighters armed with superior weapons and technology. Of course, the Marines would eventually run out of ammunition and the like and be forced to resort to local weapons. But they'd have presumably observed and learned enough to employ them effectively.
>>
>>30171538
A valid point. Imagine you are in formation with your fellow legionnaires and have the good chance to be at the back. Imagine the sound of hellfire coming from the front, your comrades telling stories of men clad to make themselves near invisible, with weapons that cut down platoons in seconds, that no mortal man could stand against it.

The will of a man is greatly determined by his confidence of his leaders and of his country, more or less to make the right decisions, and hopefully send him home. After a first engagement, who would stand against them? The marines could walk, at a leisurely pace, and cut straight to the heart of a formation and capture its commanding officers. I cant imagine it would take more than one or two engagements before they lose all will to fight, and the marines ascend into deity status.
>>
>>30169949
New Vegas told me that you need only two contubernia to take out a small group like this.
>>
>>30171687
On top of all this, the Marines are likely much larger and healthier than Legionnaires. They truly would seem god-like- especially since Rome highly valued martial prowess.
>>
>>30171744
GTFO, Severus. I don't have any dogtags.
>>
>>30171538
>may not be similarly effective against layered armor like what the ancients wore- steel over hard leather or compressed linen

Are the kind of guy who keeps going on about frozen winter coats stopping bullets?
5.56 penetrates ~10mm thick mild steel plate, you idiot.
>>
>>30169949
>movie in development

What the fuck?
>>
>>30171787
I doubt it'd be stopped by a frozen winter jacket. But old armor is a very different beast. Remember, that penetration is under ideal lab conditions and from an ideal weapon for the round. 5.56mm regularly fails to dispatch armored targets wearing kevlar even with multiple hits.
>>
How are you going to starve out an entire marine battalion?

So you setup a massive siege army, and surround them.

What's going to stop them from slowly walking down and murdering the shit out of everyone, then capturing all of the food and supplies?

Hell, with vehicles or drones or whatever, they'll be able to find towns and cities, then loot the ever loving shit out of them.

Even if they have to walk the entire way after the first town or two, they'd just loot and pillage their way through to the capital and set themselves up there. It's not like the native population are going to flee en masse, they never did when other nations conquered them, why would they risk being shot by the angels of death that suddenly turn up?
>>
>>30171538
Are you really going to say that a 5.56 round won't be able to penetrate a 3mm plate of case hardened steel/soft iron and sewn to leather or linen? That's assuming they're wearing lorica segmentata and not lorica hamata.
>>
>>30169949
Not going to lie, that sounds like an awesome movie.
>>
>>30171852

Latin words always remind of me 40k

I'm tainted.
>>
>>30171852
Linen and leather composite armor like that which ancient soldiers wore under their steel plates is far, far tougher than you think it is.
>>
>>30171815
Redditor started writing about the idea, got popular there, Universal Studios or something picked up on the idea and hired him to help them make a movie about it.
>>
>>30169949
>implying marines are more conditioned to war then the legions in their prime
>kek
>>
>>30171828
>But old armor is a very different beast.

Yes, for an instance it's a fraction of the thickness that would give any intermediate rifle cartridge trouble.

>5.56mm regularly fails to dispatch armored targets wearing kevlar even with multiple hits.

No it doesn't. 5.56 eats soft armor for breakfast. You're talking out of your ass.

>Remember, that penetration is under ideal lab conditions and from an ideal weapon for the round.

Yep, talking out of your ass. Me making gaping holes in angled .4" thick steel plates at 50yd with surplus M855 maybe wasn't very scientific, but it was pretty indicative what would happen if some retarded fuck tried to stop a rifle with ancient armor.
>>
Were I the Marines' CO, I'd start in outlying territories if at all possible. I would overcome local Legions through superior technology and their own ignorance by convincing them we are sent by God or the gods, depending on time period, and recruit survivors as spare bodies and guides. Collect a large Legion of my own, backed by my men and their superior firepower and tactical knowledge and gradually move up to larger and larger cities until I could descend upon Rome itself with my new faithful leading the charge, supported by sniper fire, heavy weapons and mortar fire.
>>
>>30169949
>Let's say a battalion of Marines versus the full might of the Roman empire.

Marines willingly integrate themselves into the Roman Empire after hearing about the parties thrown in honor of the Roman god Bacchus.

Roman empire lasts forever.

The end.
>>
>>30171871
>Linen and leather composite armor ... is far, far tougher than you think it is

Are you some britcuck history enthusiast who knows all he knows about guns from vidya and movies?
Because I don't think you can quite appreciate the amount of ass rape a centerfire rifle round packs. All the linen and leather you can realistically wear won't even slow it down. Pre-industrial revolution metallurgy hasn't progressed nearly enough to mass-produce any armor that could possibly stop a NIJ level III threat. Nothing from that era that would protect you from rifle rounds would be anywhere near wearable.
>>
>>30171537
And the Marines will have number superiority, infinite ammunition and knowledge of the territory.
A good strategist and they'd have an hard time like Gauls had in Alesia against Caesar.
The Marines would need to stay together and compact to keep both firepower and knowledge at considerable levels, that way however they would be more identifiable, therefore a large deployment over a definite area should be effective, let alone the territory, where the group could find both advantages (forests) and disadvantages (plains) according to where it all happens. And they are also humans, after all.
>>
>>30169949
if a marine killed a roman, wouldn't millions of future ancestors wink out of existence including marines?
>>
>>30171748
what the fuck?
>>
>>30170781
holy shit, sleep deprivation made this post my sides to orbit
>>
>>30172176

We're all pretty big and well fed compared to the average person around 100 AD. Some ripped marine would probably look like a fucking mythical hero to these people.
>>
He could play it out like the Jap who hid in the Phillipines and inflict enough attrition as he can but he cant win a battle.
>>
>>30171932
I'd probably go straight to Rome and either tell the truth (sure sci-fi doesn't exist, but they'd definitely understand time, you can then explain the concept of coming from the future and explain any scientific aspects as acts of god ("we are not angels, but we have been sent here by god to protect Rome").

It's important that they see you as being on the side of their god, gift them knowledge; steam engines, modern maths, medicine (ie what are germs and what is hygiene), etc would blow their minds. Offer your services in a special forces nature and take care of their enemies as well. If Augustus gets a bit crazy, then consider organising a coup.

>>30172174
That assumes that this isn't a multiverse.

>>30172176
The average US male is about 3 or 4 inches taller than the average Roman; people in the past were shorter. Strength wise it'd be hard to tell though; the US soldiers (primarily in combat corps) would be better at training for fitness, with access to gyms and PTIs, as well as things like protein supplements, etc. That said, the Romans had to essentially pack march ~70lb of armour, weaponry and equipment across countries to get to their battles.
>>
>>30171932
you took this page straight from the book on subjugation of the native american
>>
>>30172354
Also, to make a coup always a possibility, I'd have some of my resources hidden from the start, perhaps have it initially just hidden out in the middle of nowhere, and then once my men have the ability to have farms, etc, have some of my most loyal men stash it and maintain everything covertly.
>>
>>30171887
Considering the Romans had no idea what protein is I'd say yeah, the Marines are probably better conditioned.
>>
>>30171956
I like this option actually.
>>
>>30170219

Or the MEU could sail to Israel, the only US ally that exists as a viable entity in the era, and offer its services. Poof, you have your logistics train and base areas.

A Jewish chaplain (or any orthodox jew) almost certainly won't speak Aramaic, but he'll be able to easily speak with his colleagues in biblical Hebrew. Modern Israeli hebrew is almost identical to biblical hebrew.

Certainly a Catholic priest, and possibly a Protestant or Orthodox priest, will speak Latin and maybe even attic Greek (more than a few knew Hebrew also). In the right era, and with the right commander, why not land via helicopter, walk up to Jesus, and put yourself and your unit in His personal service? With Unit and Corp gone, what's left on your priority list?

Either way, you've solved most of your problems right there. Secure the borders, use your infantry to go door to door removing canoli, and then stand down while you wait for more legions to arrive. Then smite them with extreme prejudice.

The trick is to use your forces sparingly. Set up lopsided engagements where the Romans are sure to win... and then use a few Cobras or what have your to stage an upset. Hell, ma duece would radically change a few battles.

tl;dr The obvious move is to find a country that gives you a modicum of land/economics/people/intelligence and ally with them.

Which is how we do it in this era, too.
>>
>>30170248

POL stocks would run out damn fast without a resupply capability.
>>
>>30170656

That, or the "asssassinate the officers with snipers" plan would work like magic against any army except the Romans. Or, some of the hellenic armies.
>>
>>30171495

Plus aviation and scouts with radios. You'd see the enemy force when it was days or even weeks away.

Hell, do drones have mics? Or some other transmitter with a big battery. Just stick one in the enemy camp as a commander's "trophy" so your padre can translate their battle plans.

The romans, not knowing what a drone even is, won't and probably can't kill it.
>>
>>30170931
>Unfortunately, there are very few people who are able to speak fluent ancient latin.
You don't need to be fluent mate, you just need a working vocabulary.

>we brought a generator and fuel to power our computers/cellphones
Now, I'm not a soldier, but I'm willing to bet they have some kind of device that can work as a generator for emergencies, like solar panels or hand-operated items. Even if they didn't, what is:
>Personal solar/crank generators/On back of phone
>Spare batteries
>Pooling everyone's batteries for the compatible devices (hint: chances are they will be)
>Draining everyone's non-compatible batteries
>Saving power until you actually need it
>Basic electronics knowledge to make the above out of already available material. I'll give you a hint, it's not at all hard to do.
And inb4 ' they wouldn't have those/know how', out of between 300 and 800 trained soldiers, I'm more than willing to bet you'd be wrong.

>Imagine if you had a computer with a Chinese translator. Having that doesn't mean you can translate what they are saying, especially if you can't write it down.
Are you retarded? Do you think digital translators only work with text for some fucking reason?
>What is a local copy of Google Translate
>What is any other translation service that does voice (e.g. most of them)

>Before the battle, you might send out a messenger to talk with the other army, but not your fucking general
Except before battles, the leaders (including generals and even kings) of each side would meet, not messengers.

>because there is nothing stopping little Severus to put your head on a pike
Except that isn't what would happen typically, and everyone would be fine and go back unharmed instead.

We've done parley for centuries if not millenia, and what you're saying has rarely been an issue.
>Not him but you are full on being autistic.
99% certain you are him, you're just as retarded, and only a little less mad. Probably because your mom went and got your binky.
>>
I liked this premise better when it wa called stargate
>>
>>30172682
>Or the MEU could sail to Israel, the only US ally that exists as a viable entity in the era
Israel didn't exist then. At all. The area which would be Israel was either Roman or Caliphate territory.

>In the right era, and with the right commander, why not land via helicopter, walk up to Jesus, and put yourself and your unit in His personal service?
Besides probably pissing off a good number of your soldiers, starting schisms, or even an outright mutiny, why would you want to give that much power to what most people of the time considered a small cult? If you hadn't pissed of the Romans before, you just did, while probably getting all of Judea raped at the same time.

>The obvious move is to find a country that gives you a modicum of land/economics/people/intelligence and ally with them.
So instead of acting in secret with seemingly limitless power, influencing the world's course (Illuminati style), you make yourself, your abilities, and your beliefs known to the single greatest and most powerful political, geographical, economic, and military power in the history of the world (for the era at least)? A modern example of your post would basically be for aliens (us) to come to Earth, go to [insert third-world shit hole] effectively or literally controlled by the US that's constantly rebelling against the US and ally with them/Find a cult everyone hates and side with them, then let everyone know who you are and what you can do by attacking the US, and somehow hope you can start a revolt.

Anon, that's quite possibly the worst thing you could do.

btw,
>go to jesus
Assuming you're religious, I can understand why you would want to, but by defending him, you're basically getting rid of Christianity, even more so once you use any force. Without Christ as a martyr, Christianity doesn't really exist, all it becomes is a Jewish cult that peters out a few generations later.
>>
>>30173111
For generators you just need an alternator; so long as a device runs at 12V or less you can use something like a pencil to step down the voltage for portable devices. Even besides that, OP talks about a battalion, but the story he references talks about an MEU, which has dozens of vehicles and logistics systems.
>>
>>30170069
Et loqueris
>>
>>30169968

Okay, let's assume that these are male lions, in which case their average mass is 190 kg (419 lbs).

A trillion lions would therefore have a mass of 1.9 × 10^14 kilograms (4.2 x 10^14 lbs).

Given that the mass of the sun is 1.989 × 10^30 kg (4.385 x 10^30 lbs), i.e. many orders of magnitude greater than our ball of lions (no doubt dead and frozen lions, given that they're floating through space), the sun wins this one pretty easily.
>>
>>30175471
But the lions have sharp claws and teeth.
>>
File: the real gorilla warfare2.jpg (278 KB, 1076x902) Image search: [Google]
the real gorilla warfare2.jpg
278 KB, 1076x902
they should make a movie out of pic related
>>
File: Pax Romana.jpg (94 KB, 600x916) Image search: [Google]
Pax Romana.jpg
94 KB, 600x916
>>30169949
The Marines would arrive and the Romans would figure out that they had some grasp of advanced technology just by looking at things. They could recognize most of the basic machines we use, and could probably work their way from there. Both sides would work out how to communicate. Since we're talking peak Empire, Trajan is in power and he was bro-tier incarnate when it came to anything outside the ordinary. Besides, Roman policy when encountering anyone new (if they weren't immediately hostile) was diplomacy anyway.

The Marines would have a hard time adjusting to Classical sanitary conditions and food prep. But I guess as long as the Marines have their logistics base with them they would do okay. Fuel would eventually become an issue.

The Romans probably ask the Marines to go take care of their issue with the Persians in the Mid East. Marines go and murder Persians because why not.

Either way, pic related did it better.
>>
>>30169949
WHO WOULD WIN?: THE MOVIE
>>
>>30169968
I mean that's a lot of lions.
>>
>>30169949
Romes military manpower at its height was atleast 750000 men. No way.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army
Just let that number sink in for a bit
>>
>>30169968
That is so stupid, the number of lions doesn't matter, just attack at night.
>>
>>30169949
If I were a Marine commander, I'd hope to god I'd have enough ammo for them retarded troopers.

If I were a roman, I'd lure the marines out with young slave boys or/and alcohol.
>>
File: 1465123547062.jpg (99 KB, 458x632) Image search: [Google]
1465123547062.jpg
99 KB, 458x632
>>30170131
i laughed
>>
>>30175979
Believe it or not the Marines are 100 times less gay than /k/. You'd have better luck with trashy pussy than small boys.
>>
>>30170331
>translating a dead language
Ok bud, scholars can't even agree on how it sounded, nobody speaks Latin, they speak what they think Latin sounded like.
>>
>>30176018
For what it's worth, we have a pretty decent grasp of Latin by examining poetic meter and looking at how the Romance language family works today.

The same for Greek. While we don't know exactly what Koine Greek sounded like, there is plenty of evidence that suggests it wouldn't be too dissimilar from listening to Modern Greek.

The biggest issue would be the various different dialects and accents from throughout the area. Each polis had variations on Ancient Greek, and we see plenty of variation in Latin used throughout the Empire as well. If you are dealing with any educated Romans you will be conversing in Greek. If you are in the near east, you want to know Aramaic. Egypt? Coptic.

Latin may have been the language for the Empire, but its people spoke plenty of other languages.
>>
>>30172354
>Offer your services in a special forces nature and take care of their enemies as well.

These brave men have come back through time to help us buttfuck Carthage to death. Honour them.
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.