[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blue green specks copper fouling nooooooooo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 1464808453436.jpg (176 KB, 1080x1349) Image search: [Google]
1464808453436.jpg
176 KB, 1080x1349
So I tried to not be such an autist and curb my ocd cleaning of my guns after a day of shooting. It was only 150 rounds I said. They'll be fine. Now I find I got COLORED SHIT in my barrel. Im cleaning them all now fuck that. Does copper fouling affect barrel wear/life?
>>
>>30169739
I've got my guns to about 2500 rounds out of a barrel without paying much attention to copper and brass fouling, groups still fine. Old fudd friends of mine who have gone through dozens of guns say that the barrel is gone by about that time anyway, groups become shit and it's time to replace it.

Still, being a miser, I started treating barrels with Hopps #9 and copper remover, and slowly but surely the fouling is disappearing. Just don't try to remove it all at once, it's pointless. And be careful with copper remover, it might cause pitting is what I heard.

I'm thinking about investing in a good bore scope to be actually sure that what I'm seeing is not a figment of my imagination and is indeed fouling. Cheap $50 ones are shit, you won't see anything with them, I'm afraid it'll be somewhere north of $300 for a decent one. Anyone here to suggest a good bore scope?
>>
>>30169897
>Just don't try to remove it all at once, it's pointless
Use good chemicals and you can clean anything quickly. I used to have a T53 that was one of the dirtiest guns I've ever seen in my life and after 30-45 mins of cleaning it was spotless. Hoppes is bottom of the barrel trash.
>>
>>30169897
>Old fudd friends of mine who have gone through dozens of guns say that the barrel is gone by about that time anyway, groups become shit and it's time to replace it.
I hope you dont believe them
>>
>>30169897
>shot out by 2500 rounds
Not unless you're competition or precision shooting. Most barrels for the majority of calibers last well past this point.
>>
>>30169897
>2500 rounds and the barrels are shot out
lolwut
>>
File: naughtylist.png (1 MB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
naughtylist.png
1 MB, 600x800
>>30169913
REMOVE
>>
OP here. Just got done. I think its just a peace of mind thing. It was just a few green blue specks they came out after one pass of a patch with some hoppes foam cleaner. I heard people say the foam cleaner is weakshit tho
>>
I'll foul her barrel with my copper if you know what i mean
>>
>>30169739
*makes xenomoprh noises*
>>
Maybe this is why I get 7 inch groups with my 10/22 at 100 yards.. I don't think the barrel has ever been cleaned.

Or maybe it was the 20,000 rounds of Remington golden bullets..
>>
Should I be brushing out my internals with a nylon brush after shooting too ?
>>
>>30170099
I bought myself a patchworm just for my 10/22. Its basically a long piece of plastic gummy nylon that doesnt break no matter how hard you pull on it and a small nylon washer

Looks like its pretty easy to replicate
>>
Yall need to get some Butch's bore shine. That shit removes copper and fouling like crazy.
>>
>>30169739

You should clean your guns after every time you shoot them. Timeliness is a large part of efficiency in cleaning.
>>
>>30169913
How do we clean Islam out of this world, but on a more practical note how do we make sure that you get the fuck off /k/ with your moronic trip
>>
>>30169913
Hello fellow terrorist
https://youtu.be/l8GDLy9K2Fk
>>
>>30170197
Unless you are shooting really dirty ammo generally you really dont need to clean after shooting.
>>
>>30170211
By not feeding him (you)'s and filtering his trip. How retarded are you?
>>
I recently switched from CLP to hoppes 9 for bore cleaning (just bore) and I love it.

It works very fast. My 20 year old colt 1911 had a lot of residual copper fouling in it after years and years of CLP only. The hoppes cleared out 90% of the blue shit in the first cleaning. A few more firing / cleaning cycles later and the bore looks almost new. Cleaner than the gun has been since the Clinton years.
>>
>>30169944
My thoughts exactly. Unless they're shooting a really hot varmint round or something that's seriously overbore like a Weatherby mag, they should get at least twice this.

>this does not apply to my favorite round, .220 Swift, which eats barrels with astonishing speed
>>
>>30169739
When i shoot, i always clean; it's not ocd, it's a good habit. It you have funk after not cleaning for a while, just clean gently 2,3, or even 4 times. Don't rush it and always wipe it down after "fingering it up".
>>
>>30172041
Also, i would lick op pic teeth
>>
You are aware that you are using your gun barrel to contain an explosion that grinds a copper plated projectile against it until it leaves the barrel?

The only thing you can do is polish the inside of the barrel to a smooth finish.

Your OCD scrubbing might actually be deepening pits and accelerating wear. If you're gonna be OCD try to clean it right.
>>
>>30169739
pour boiling water into the receiver and down the barrel after you're done shooting then dry, clean, and oil as usual

BOOM, no corrosive fouling
>>
>>30172056
I can't explain why, but now that you say it...I also want to lick her teeth.
>>
>>30172201
>boiling water
Great way to royally fuck your finish
>>
>>30169739

Try Gunslick Foaming Bore cleaner; works quickly and gets nearly all the fouling out in a single go. Works great on AR barrels too, just flush the gas tube with brake cleaner or something afterward to make sure it's dry.

>>30169897
> 2500 rounds
Sounds like fudd lore, heck with some modern gun oils like fp-10 or weaponshield you can get to 10k+ before you run into groups loosening up.

>>30173567
Why? You just oil it as normal afterwards. Nothing is ruined or rusts. Pretty old school way of cleaning BP and corrosive residue.
>>
File: fugg (1).jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
fugg (1).jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>30173756
>Why? You just oil it as normal afterwards. Nothing is ruined or rusts. Pretty old school way of cleaning BP and corrosive residue.
Boiling water can fuck up finishes, especially paint, pic related.
>>
>>30173837

Those AK parts look like they were blued. You can see some hints of brown flash rusting on the gas block. When bluing is completely degreased it looks a bit funky like that.

Paint is just a coating which polymerized / hardened in some sort of way, unless it's shellac based it's going to be hydrophobic, and at worst just flake off the piece if it's not bonded properly.
>>
>>30172114
Nah man i dont use brushes when I clean my stuff most of the time. I only use nylon if I do
>>
>>30169979
2500 rounds with out cleaning in one day
>>
>>30169913
So what's wrong with hoppes? Never used it so curious.

Also why is /k/ so caustic about you being Muslim?
>>
>>30174404

>Also why is /k/ so caustic about you being Muslim?

Maybe because not only is he a tripfag but he seeks attention for also making his religious faith relevant to his trip name.

Whether he does it ironically or not does not moot the point that it is attention seeking.

I feel the same would be said if any other tripfag were to suddenly attach their faith to their name, Muslim or not.
>>
>>30174404

There's really nothing wrong with it, so much as better chemicals are available. We've come pretty far in chemistry in the 113 years since hoppe's 9 was developed.

It's still a very good powder/carbon solvent, if overhyped simply because grandpa, and his grandpa used it.

Foaming bore cleaner will removing more copper in 30 minutes than scrubbing with hoppe's 9 all day long.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.