[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the purpose of #3 wheel in this picture? idler-wheel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Tracks_(diagram).png (20 KB, 900x350) Image search: [Google]
Tracks_(diagram).png
20 KB, 900x350
what is the purpose of #3 wheel in this picture? idler-wheel i believe it is called
>>
>>30168145

I don't know shit about tanks but looks like it's to hold the tread up and keep it from sagging
>>
>>30168145
return rollers, they stop the tracks fucking with shit on the way back to the drive wheel.
>>
>>30168160
yes that is obvious but why shouldn't the track be let sag?
>>
>>30168145
They are tensor wheels. They keep the thread tense enough so it does not sag,
>>
>>30168178
the same reason girls wear sports bras and guys wear tight boxers for sport.
>>
>>30168178
extra stress on the joints of the track and the track might get caught in the drive wheels.

if the joints are carrying to much weight they will break faster.
>>
>>30168217
Probably ends up getting less shit in the drive wheels too, allowing for a longer service life
>>
>>30168210
i'm fairly sure girls have nothing to do with tanks if we aren't talking about some cartoons of course.
>>
>>30168217
i'm fairly sure if the tank joints can take the weight of the tank they can manage the weight of the tracks sagging.
>>
>>30168243
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4p9SP8HkLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WoZAqjy5o

when a woman runs or walks with big titties, her titties bounce. Now, when they bounce up that is all find and dandy, but when they go down they are having extra stress put on the muscles that hold the boob's shape.

Enter, the sports bra. The sports bra is designed to not only prevent the boobies from bouncing downwards (cupping them), they try to keep the boobies from jumping up as well while the person runs, thus mitigating the stress on the person as a whole

The tension wheels are there to be a sports bra, to keep the track from bouncing up and down and causing it unnecessary stress.

>>30168331
okay kid, we aren't talking about the TANK, we are talking about the track. tracks are just steel plated/reinforced rubber chain. The more the track has the support its own weight the faster it will stress fracture, and thus immobilize the tank. and sense tank tracks are used constantly, you want to extend the service life of those tank tracks as much as possible.
>>
>>30168383
meant to say tank tracks not only tank. with that i meant that if the tracks can handle the tank's weight no problem they should be able to handle their own weight bouncing up and down even easier.
>>
>>30168178
Reducing sag maintains track tension when reversing. Otherwise the tracks would lose tension between the road wheels and the drive wheel. OF course, it's not strictly necessary. Plenty of tanks don;t have return rollers.
>>
>>30168178
It's there to keep your tracks from tangling into the suspension, which your pic doesn't show
>>
>>30168436
the amount of sag isn't really reduced, just the load that is placed on the tracks, and i'm sure they could take the somewhat increased load easily.
>>
>>30168465
what do you mean? for example in the abrams tank the suspension is inside the tank as torsion bars and yet it has idler-wheels.
>>
always gotta be some fucking normie comparing something to tits huh
>>
>>30168243
It's not random that they're called tank tops you know.
>>
>>30168483
>in the abrams tank the suspension is inside the tank as torsion bars

Holy shit, I forgot how primitive US tank suspension was.
>>
>>30168584
what do you mean? aren't torsion bars like the best way so far to do suspension system for a tank?
>>
>>30168430
nobody is saying that the joints can't handle their own weight, it just increases the service life of the tracks.
>>
>>30168626
no, hydrophilic / hydrogas is the best. As well as being smoother it lets you adjust the hight and level of the tank.

It's also not a nigger to fix.
>>
>>30168701
sounds like something that if broken is very hard to fix, also, adjusting the height of the tank would change the track tension and therefore be very limited.
>>
File: tank suspensions data.jpg (47 KB, 498x322) Image search: [Google]
tank suspensions data.jpg
47 KB, 498x322
>>30168584
>Holy shit, I forgot how primitive US tank suspension was.

Bitch please
>>
>>30168701
any fluid based system would be more vulnerable to damage since the fluid in question could leak out.

So a minor nick on a torsion spring/bar does almost nothing while a bad O-ring on a hydralic piston means it's basically dying.
>>
>>30168888
You realise the more the wheel moves the less the vehicle moves?

Your picture is literally disproving the point you are making.
>>
>>30168436

Old tanks don't because they were slow. All tanks made after 1946 ish have return rollers. Without them, you just get too much track slap at high speed and it ruins your tracks.
>>
>>30169123
replacing a wheel pack is easier than pulling a torsion bar out.
>>
>>30169193
Even slow tanks need return rollers. The majority of tanks that didn't have return rollers were ones with road wheels so large they served as the road wheel and return roller.
>>
>>30169179

Are you implying than having a good amount of vertical travel isn't relevant ?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.