[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How effective are drones in the global war on terror and how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: drone-646059.jpg (41 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
drone-646059.jpg
41 KB, 590x350
How effective are drones in the global war on terror and how will they evolve to countermeasures?
>>
"Global war on..." stopped reading there.
>>
The CIA sure does love using them to blow up cellphones, and whatever happens to be within 500 feet of said cellphone.
>>
Watch a documentary called Spymasters: CIA in the cross hairs
>>
Drones aren't useful against groups that can run countermeasures.

You know what stops terrorists from getting killed by drones? Better tradecraft to keep intelligence from penetrating their networks and picking out targets for drone strikes. The thing of it is that terrorists are often sloppy fucks excepting Hezbollah.
>>
>How effective are drones in the global war on terror
Very.
>ISR platform
>Outrageous endurance
>Powerful sensors
>Satlink to stream video feed in real-time halfway around the world
>Gives commanding officers a direct picture of what's going on
>Capable of engaging targets directly instead of waiting for support
It's almost like the war was made for drones.
>>
>>30163315
>how will they evolve to countermeasures?

What fucking countermeasures, anon?
>>
If you are stupid enough to believe in such a thing as the "global war on terror"... I dnno what to say

Vast majority of terrorists in this world on US endorsed
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyguXoum3rk&feature=youtu.be
>>
File: american missile.jpg (6 KB, 307x164) Image search: [Google]
american missile.jpg
6 KB, 307x164
>>30163315
Completely ineffective.

>Nearly 90 Percent Of People Killed In Recent Drone Strikes Were Innocent

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/15/90-of-people-killed-by-us-drone-strikes-in-afghani/
>>
>>30163440

>hezbollah
>terrorists

stupid amerifat...
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563 KB, 569x802
Did someone say CIA?
>>
>>30164929
Dead sand niggers don't count.
>>
>>30163315

PAGING REAPERGUY
>>
>>30163315

And it's proven to increase insurgency and US hate even more. Heck, CIA didn't even know who they've been killed. Good fucking job, murrica!
>>
>>30165488
>they've been

Too drunk to read
>>
>>30163315
Drones are what defeated Al Quieda in Afghanistan. So you tell me.
>>
>>30163474
Don't forget that even if they get shot down the enemy has killed (((ZERO))) Americans. That really pisses off the hajjis.
>>
>>30164929
These kind of reports are bullshit. What constitutes as a civilian? Because looking at Taliban/Haqqani/Al-Qaeda leadership most of them are dead because of drones.
>>
>90% of the people killed are civilians

Pretty effective in creating more terrorists
>>
>>30164929

That tends to happen when you base your military operations next to major population centers.
>>
>>30167887
What's worse is most of these kind of reports rely on going and asking the locals who was killed

>uncle Abdul was no Taliban, he a good boy
>>
>>30167887
It's all political bullshit. Drones are just another weapons platform.
>>
File: Vlad_the_Implyer.jpg (97 KB, 339x360) Image search: [Google]
Vlad_the_Implyer.jpg
97 KB, 339x360
>>30164937
that's some heavy greentext, mang.
>>
>>30163315
What countermeasures? There's nothing goat herders can do about them, even with MANPADs.
>>
>>30167942
pretty much
>>
>>30165105
Off coursh!
>>
>>30168112
I think they managed to intercept the satlink on one once
>>
>>30168413
With what, a pan of Jiffy Pop?
>>
>>30168487
A laptop and the Russian Napster apparently
>www.theguardian.com/world/2009/dec/17/skygrabber-american-drones-hacked
>>
>>30167942
>the hospital was full of IS terrorists, I swear!
>>
File: hajj radwan.jpg (81 KB, 425x283) Image search: [Google]
hajj radwan.jpg
81 KB, 425x283
>>30164937

>t H Radwan
>>
>>30163315
ALL SENSOR OPERATORS AND RPA PILOTS ARE FUCKING FAGGOT MORONS THAT DONT LISTEN TO IMAGERY GUYS WHICH RESULTS IN FRIENDLYS AND CIVILIANS GETTING KILLED.

If you're a sensor op or an RPA pilot (not a cross train pilot) you're a fucking pencil neck faggot that couldn't tell the difference between a rifle and a cane.
>>
>>30167543
They haven't been shot down since the start of Iraq
>>
>>30169476
Which DCGS are you at
>>
>>30169610
I'm out of the AF now and I wont say what DGS I was at. But there was nothing more frustrating than a faggot sensor op disagreeing with me or thinking someones bedazzled turban was "obviously icom's because its shiny and only Taliban would have icoms" ive never even heard or seen Taliban having headset communications fuccboi.
>>
>>30169655
I too know the pain of trying to convince someone that the guy had a plank of wood on his shoulder, not a mortar tube.

Plus is should be the MIC you're mad at, the pilot and the SO don't really get a say in ID'ing targets.
>>
>>30169670
Well I hate them them because if you're aircrew on an RPA you should be as knowledgeable as an imagery analyst when it comes to callouts, and alot of times the MIC is regurgitating what the aircrew is saying.
>>
>>30169709
The MIC is the one who directs and it's their responsibility, if they're doing a bad job they're failing
>>
>>30163474
>powerpoint jockey blabbing about technology instead of actually assessing effectiveness and consequences

thank you for your cervix
>>
>>30170392
>consequences
Right, because indiscriminate airstrikes with fast-movers and iron bombs like we used to do have so much fewer consequences, right?
>>
>>30170575
>old methods being ineffective means new methods are effective

faggot
>>
>>30170575
No, because your vaunted TV-guided missiles are launched by culturally illiterate suburbanites. This results in consequences like indiscriminately blasting innocent dudes, not to mention their kids.

These consequences can be avoided, and often are, through the application of technology such as "dumb grunts with rifles."
>>
>>30169709
>>30169476
Fuck DGS

>muh 1 meter cylindrical object
>>
>>30164937
fucking towelhead die.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 344x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 344x333
>>30164929
Ahahaha...you have got to be kidding me. There is no way you're dumb enough to believe this. The use of unmanned aircraft for surveillance, reconnaissance, and tactical employment of munitions has been unbelievably effective.
>>
>>30165428
Reaper guy works at an FTU not an operational squadron.
>>
>>30165488
>>30167912
Hey idiots, see >>30173421
>>
>>30163315
Effective enough for the US military to keep dumping the big bucks on RPA technology.
>>
>>30173421
>There is no way you're dumb enough to believe this
>i will dismiss whistleblower supplied official reports if they impinge my preconceived notions
>>
>>30173471
>>30173421
Hey, dumbass. Why don't you just listen to what CIA said themselves on public about their drone attack and whether they sure or not about the targets they're killing?
>>
>>30171731
>put a team of dumb grunts with weapons in Super-bum-fuck-nowhere, Trashcanistan, get them to do the mission, then extract them

You see, this is how Americans die, and tax payer dollars are flushed down a fucking drain in the process. An AGM-114 costs $110,000. How much do you think it costs to put a team of SEALs/Delta/CIA/Rangers/SAS in the same place, and get them out, all while keeping an eye on Abu Hajaar and his gang, so you don't put them in the middle of nowhere for nothing?

With drones, you can find Abu Hajaar and the Hajji team, drop a Hellfire or four, and go home, a lot cheaper and putting ZERO lives at risk.

Do civvies get caught in the crossfire sometimes? Gee, maybe that's because you choose to associate with people who have really, really pissed off Uncle Sam. Get over it, each one has like 8 kids anyway, sand people are fairly expendable.
>>
>>30175349
>>30174397
You mean the SIX PERCENT of civilian casualties listed? Far cry from 90% you ignorant cunt stains.
>>
>>30163315
Somalia is quite reliant on US drone strike. There are plans to buy a couple of chink ucav but the sanction (as well as pressure from Kenya) prohivits them from doing so
>>
>>30175386
This.

It takes around 40-50k $USD to recruit, train, equip and pay for a year a single US Marine.

That's a lot less than a missile, granted. And you can use your US marine several time before he dies/resign, which is great. And each time, he'll get a little better because of added experience in "how not to fuck up like last time ?", which is even greater.

But it takes barely a few days to get a new missile while it takes months to get a new US marine.

Sure, we ain't in the type of war where we'll run short of recruits at any point but if we DID rely on grunts only, casualty rates would rise to the point where finding enough volunteers might be a problem.

Hence why modern armies (especially the US Army) prefer getting money to pay companies to pay workers to build missiles rather than unskilled patriotic idiots paid to die for their country.
>>
>>30168112
It would be more along the lines of avoidance, and maybe better use of maskirovka.
>>
>>30177713
>unskilled

Wew lad.

11Bs are very skilled, those skills dont transfer to the workplace.
>>
>>30177713
>It takes around 40-50k $USD to recruit, train, equip and pay for a year a single US Marine.

Calling bullshit on your numbers. Base pay for an E-2 is $21K per year. A quick tour through Google shows us that recruiting alone runs $11K per member, and training comes in at $35K. So far that puts us at $67K, and we haven't even looked at equipping, feeding, housing, or transporting this Marine.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blbasicattrit.htm
>>
>>30178221
I saw an image a couple days ago saying that the average infantryman cost like $17k to equip with body armor, rifle, and gear
>>
M E N E N D E Z
>>
File: comeflywithme.jpg (35 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
comeflywithme.jpg
35 KB, 601x601
>>30178276
From this COD on, the franchise has been irredeemable.
>>
>>30178332
>BO2
>AW
>BO3
>bad
fug off lad they were all amazing. the future stuff is GOAT (but t.bh i wouldn't mind a return to WW2 at some point soon). ghosts was a steaming pile of shit tho.
>>
>>30164929
>//www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/15/90-of-people-killed-by-us-drone-strikes-in-afghani/
Article is critically short on sources.

Also questionable i sthe allegation that so many women are killed. In a culture where women and children are locked up at home this is really hard to believe especially as many kills are while terrorists are travelling in cars.
>>
>>30176732
>didn't even read the docs

The civilian listed are people who are actually confirmed, by name, to be civilians. As the document states, that is a massively lowballed number.

If you only consider the target (usually one person) as legitimate and everyone else killed to be collateral damage, the collateral kill rate ranges from a low of 80% to over 90%.

That would explain the deliberate lack of effort on the part of the US (even through their proxy lackeys) to identify casualties, leaving that to hostile locals, whose reports are then slandered as propaganda by the US government. Convenient.
>>
>>30178350

>embracing the kill slot machine

please don't
>>
File: davy crokett.jpg (43 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
davy crokett.jpg
43 KB, 500x400
From my friend who was field intel company in khandahar, he says drones give the taliban PTSD.

now even with their long loiter times, drones aren't watching everything all the time. But once in a while a drone sees goatfucker muhammed #4523 setting up a mortar or recoiless rifle and sends him to meet 72 virgins. Usually there is an accomplice that can't be drone strike due to ROE, but everyone is pretty fucking sure he just saw his jihadi buddy get BTFO out of nowhere, and he will have nightmares and he will tell people exaggerated tales.

Sure, it doesn't stop all insurgent activities, but it forces them to take the long way around, travel at night, disguise their gatherings, etc.
If they have to spend 50% of their time being sneeky secret squirrels, that's 50% less time they can spend mortaring the base or planting IED's.
>>
File: AssetAccessCAANT6B_2241553a[1].jpg (132 KB, 1300x677) Image search: [Google]
AssetAccessCAANT6B_2241553a[1].jpg
132 KB, 1300x677
>>30167543
>Don't forget that even if they get shot down the enemy has killed (((ZERO))) Americans.

This is what makes the machine war utterly terrifying. It doesn't matter if the meatpuppets invent EMP rounds, or defenses that can actually take a drone down. You're not going to get them all. One of them is going to get through. They're going to keep coming. And no matter how many you kill, you've done nothing to harm the enemy. No enemy casualties, yet you've suffered losses.

You lose by attrition. You're taken down one or two at a time when you least expect it, as you've stepped out of the defensive grid to take a piss, or you drop your guard for a moment and light up a cigarette. Your men die, but the machines keep coming.
>>
File: 1457486689597.jpg (34 KB, 839x514) Image search: [Google]
1457486689597.jpg
34 KB, 839x514
>>30163315
The Navy and Air Force are discussing converting older F-18 and F-16 models in storage at Davis Mothan into semi autonomous drones. Cockpits would be removed and replaced with a "drone module". QF-16 and QF-18 would retain radar and weapons capability. They would be controlled by either AWACS aircraft of data linked F-22 or F-35 "motherships". Each mother ship would control up to four drones apiece. Data links would allow stealth aircraft to hang back and use the drones radar And weapons without powering up its own radar. Drone modules would be between 2 and 5 million dollars, but otherwise the aircraft used would already be in the inventory and paid for.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.