[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Long range bullpup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
I have a question why has there not been a push to create bullpup long range semi automatic rifles.

I know they are a bit more maintenence heavy, but wouldit not have more positives such as better balanced if firing from kneeling to standing positions. As well as the fact that you could put a 20-25 inch barrel on it and still keep it smaller than standard 16 inch rifles?
>>
>>30158353
Look up kel-tec rfb. I know keltec is a meme brand but they have made what youre describing.
>>
The bulk of long range shooting is done by people who enjoy working with equipment that they are used to. They haven't been exposed to such weapons previously, are unlikely to encounter them in the hands of other shooters and are unwilling to part with their money for a product that they aren't familiar with.

As such, there are comparatively less companies producing them because they know the market is small.
>>
>>30158580
I'm guessing the reason the military hasn't adopted them is the cost to manufacture
>>
>>30158624
They're new as fuck, can't compete with the big names in military contractors, and they aren't known for amazing quality.

Also you're talking about the military. If it isn't an AR15 derivative, it's not worth shit to them unless it can do something really amazing that nothing else can.
>>
>>30158624
It isn't just manufacturing. You have to change everything, your entire logistical effort. You have to train and instruct men on the use of the weapon, and the people in charge of maintaining it. Field manuals need to be issued, by the thousand. The weapon needs to be tested and approved on numerous different things other than its ability to hit targets. You have to test the weapon's suitability for various environments, over long periods of time.

It's never simply a case of saying "We like that one the best so we'll buy it." It's why procurement is such a complex process. The best weapon isn't always the best purchase. Especially when you already have weapons that fill the role perfectly well.
>>
>>30158353
Desert Tactical Arms has already done this with a bolt gun.
The only real problem with a bullpup semi auto is the normally horrible trigger control.
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 1022x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 1022x512
>>30158711
>DTA SRS covert. 22" barrel, with suppressor

Also has the ability to change calibers in less than a minute.
>>
>>30158807
>Also has the ability to change calibers in less than a minute.
what a useful feature for a military weapon issued to a single soldier
>>
From the military's perspective, the only real benefit a bullpup has is in a QCB situation. For long range shooting it makes no difference.
>>
>>30158823
Yeah totally not useful at all in a military context.
>22" .308 covert for CQB urban ops one minute
>26" .338lm for +2000yd work the next

All with a hex key
>>
>>30158907
don't forget the 1min trip to the 2000yd range to sight in that optic for the 338 again

super easy pham
>>
>>30158914
>2000yd sight in
>re zero
You've obviously never heard of a data book or have any idea about the barrel change procedure on a DTA.
>please stop being so ignorant
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BFLDS3pren4
>>
>>30158914
>what is two round bold adjust
>>
>>30158914
It is super easy tho...
>removes barrel after each shot
>still shoots better than this magical full auto army sniper bullpup you fags are jerking over
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q_PLow7KFAI
>>
>>30158807
Covert has 16" barrel only has 22 or longer if you change it out
>>
File: Walther_cropped-660x372.jpg (52 KB, 660x372) Image search: [Google]
Walther_cropped-660x372.jpg
52 KB, 660x372
How in the fuckity did no one post pic related yet?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.