[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gun myths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: GUN.jpg (161 KB, 1200x530) Image search: [Google]
GUN.jpg
161 KB, 1200x530
I start:
>If the barrel is longer wil take longer til the bullet hits its target.
>You can't shoot a gun in space
>The velocity of the bullet is related to how hard the hammer hits it
>Giving black people more guns wil not make America safer
>>
If you fire a gun in space you would start to spin uncontrollably would you not?
>>
>>30157053
Where do I get a left-handed Hi-Power?

>>30157414
>spin uncontrollably
Just shoot again in the opposite direction of your spin?
>>
>>30157053
Considering blacks are the leading cause of violent crime I would guess giving more of them guns wouldn't make anyone safer
>>
>>30157414
I'd be worried about the fact that the heat has nowhere to escape to except your hand.
>>
>>30157434
>spin uncontrollably
I just realized that that would occur in two axis. One is the axis of rotation about which the position of the gun in relation to the shooters center of mass causes a levered event. The other is the counter rotation caused by the torque of the bullet driving out the barrel along the rifling.
>>
>>30157469
Add in the ejection of the spent shell casing.
>>
>>30157414
I imagine we are talking about standing outside on a haul using magnetic boots and shouldering a rifle in the normal earth manner. I would expect that you would be thrown back on your rifle side shoulder. Your mag boots hold and your knees are where you bend. Your rifle side shoulder would hit the deck first. you might hit with the same force as a bolt action kick for that caliber but probably a lot less as your body would work to slow you down. If you trained I imagine you could bounce right back up to take another shot. If you locked your knees I would think it would hurt.
>>
>>30157053

Did someone actually say that anon?
>>
>>30157053

That's not a myth, it's true.
>>
>>30157547
No, OP is just another /pol/ spillover shitter.

Literally nobody says shit like this, goes to show that retards like him are incapable of making any decent threads.
>>
If barrel length is not optimized, extra friction in a barrel that is too long will surely slow the bullet.
>You can't shoot a gun in space
Rockets and lasers are certainly more advantageous.
Would not a mounted bolt action rifle confer more energy to the forward motion of the bullet than a blow back design where the bolt moves backwards with the energy of the explosion, wasting that energry?
I actually agree with this premise.
>>
>>30157522
You need to take more science classes.

If you're securely attached by your feet by any force, firing would be exactly the same as if you were on Earth in gravity.
>>
>>30157591
I dunno, the amount of times I've seen films go into slow motion and the bullets coming out of the barrels are still in their cartridges.
>>
>>30157495
This is why I like revolvers. They don't leave the empties lying around.
>>
>>30157657
name one
>>
>>30157053
Why can't you shoot a gun in space?
You can shoot underwater....
Damn nogunz
>>
>>30157522
Summer is here
>>
>>30157466
Very valid point there.
>>
>>30157466
Same anon, but space is cold is it not? So wouldn't that help contain the heat?
>>
>>30158367
It's definitely not healthy for the gun, though. All the oil will boil off and you'll friction weld the components.
>>
>>30158386
>le summer meme

Newfag get out
>>
>>30157466
That's not insurmountable, though. A good fraction of the waste heat leaves with the spent casing. Pistols should be fine. You're in major trouble with an automatic, though.
>>
>>30158473
No, because there are no particles that close enough to dissipate heat.
>>
>>30157414
Momentum transfer for firing a 5.56 should only spin you at around one revolution every 3 minutes.

(muzzle velocity 900m/s on a 200kg astronaut+suit gives a 3.5 newton-second impulse implies 18mm/s final velocity for the astronaut. If they fire with the gun by their head (1m from center of mass))
>>
>>30158473
Space isn't cold, it's just empty. So the only way to lose heat is via radiation or conduction with whatever its touching. Radiation is a pretty lousy way to dump heat, conduction's a pretty good way. Guess what the gun is touching.
>>
fuck space.
>>
>>30158611
fuck you
>>
>>30158613
ur just jelly of my dubs you fuckin butthole
>>
File: 3912071_orig.jpg?443.jpg (255 KB, 1100x730) Image search: [Google]
3912071_orig.jpg?443.jpg
255 KB, 1100x730
>>30158473
Space is empty, so it has no efficient way to transfer energy inside it.

Space Suits (EVA suits specifically) are built to tolerate temperatures from -150C to 120C, often times with one side of the suit at -150C and the other at 120C. There is no way for heat to dissipate efficiently unless you have a huge ass radiator (The white things on the ISS, pic related) or objects in contact to radiate heat to (ie your hand).
>>
>>30157466
I'm more concerned with cold welding and vacuum sealing in the BCG and trigger assembly.
>>
>>30157617
>If barrel length is not optimized, extra friction in a barrel that is too long will surely slow the bullet
A longer barrel allows the gases acting on the projectile to act on it longer therefore increasing velocity. You have to get well beyond practical barrel length to achieve ideal velocity and then start losing velocity to friction

>Rockets and lasers are certainly more advantageous.
in terms of small arms in space? how so? What is your issue with firearms in space?
>Would not a mounted bolt action rifle confer more energy to the forward motion of the bullet than a blow back design where the bolt moves backwards with the energy of the explosion, wasting that energry?
Yes to the amount of a few dozen feet per second, but that wasn't the point being contended
>I actually agree with this premise.
There may be an increase in crime in already high-crime areas, but it will soon sort itself out, the rest of the country will be safer, and even those who don't carry weapons will reap the benefits.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 600x900
Some myths I have heard here and there.

> The length of the barrel must be exactly fifty-two calibers.

> Wood stocks warp and spoil accuracy.

> Don't bother aiming off for wind under two hundred meters.

> You can't buy accuracy, you can buy consistency.

> A Muscat ball can not go supersonic.

And a picture of a cute girl to make every one smile
>>
>>30158845
>not knowing the definition of accuracy

Not surprised you are an idiot, desu
>>
>>30159085
??
I mean, you can't "buy" the accuracy, but you can buy precision and then zero your sighting system and achieve accuracy at the cost of money and time.
>>
>>30159164
>still not understanding the purpose of the statement

Are you a girl?
>>
>>30158550
>>30158592
>>30158677
Thank you guys, you have been very informative.
>>
>>30158582
Also informative, thanks
>>
>>30157642
Well depending on the force of the bullet leaving the gun, you might be pushed along with your anchor or whatever you are attached to.
>>
>>30158611
I would if I could.
>>
can be true.
>>
>>30157569
Would be self limiting
More blacks with guns
Some kill each other at a higher rate eventually fixing the problem (think gang violence on steroids)
At the same time more of them can defend themselves from violence & crime, so criminals would more often than not leave the gun owners alone, because 100% of criminals prefer unarmed victims
>>
>>30159935
But if they assume everyone is armed they will just start shooting innocent people in the back of the head instead of holding them up
>>
>>30157053
>>If the barrel is longer wil take longer til the bullet hits its target.

I've literally never heard this before
Everyone knows longer barrels means more power
>literally

>>You can't shoot a gun in space
I believed this until I heard that there were oxidizers in the powder

>>The velocity of the bullet is related to how hard the hammer hits it

Never heard this

>>Giving black people more guns wil not make America safer

>>>/pol/
>>
>>30158331
This.
>>
>>30158528
Except that's not true at all. Where's the other half of your brain?
>>

Chicago is a wonderful place.
>>
>>30159935
i'm tempted to model this as a predator/prey system of differential equations
>>
>>30160110
HOL UP
>>
>if you own a gun you're a murderer waiting to happen to someone
>guns inexplicably makes the most sane people go "I AM BECOME GOD, I DECIDE WHO LIVES OR DIES"
>drawing a gun in self defense is just making the situation worse, not better
>guns can go off on their own
>ammunition can cook off just by being in the sun for too long
>racking the slide of a handgun automatically removes the safety
>a 9mm bullet can easily stop any car if it hits the engine block
>5.56 mushrooms enough to blow a moose's head clean off

All these are from two of my very gun-hating literally-communist (as in thinks Lenin had a good thing going) relatives.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.