[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/his/ told me I would have better luck on /k/ than /his/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 1920x1080
>/his/ told me I would have better luck on /k/ than /his/

Which should I buy:

>original ww1 helmet with reproduction camouflage paint job
>original ww2 helmet with reproduction decals on the side

I cant afford an original with decals/paint job it like quadruples the price. Which would /k/ get considering I have a fairly expansive collection of shit from both wars but no helmets.
>>
>>30154425
decals? paint jobs? get an original.
>>
>>30154425
i'd keep saving my shekels until i could afford the authentic stuff. that's me though. my definition of "collection" might be different from yours...
>>
>>30154439
An original ww1 paint job cost like $1500 and an original single decal in good shape cost around $1800. You can get original helmet with fake paint job/decals only for under 300. If I'm going to be spending 1800 I'll just save a little more and buy that 17s I've been wanting.
>>
>>30154425
Is it just a curio piece or part of a serious attempt at collecting?

If you just want to sit it on your mantle or desk, get the repro, especially if you have a lot of people who are going to finger it or try to wear it.

If you are going to start a militaria collection, save for the real deal.
>>
Paint job, but it may look too repro and would mistake the original helmet as a repro too.

>>30154431
>didn't read the OP
>>
>>30154512
The painted ones I have been looking at all look very aged, even the decals look aged as well. I'm not sure how many people so far have understood that the helmet will be original, with only the small by being reproduction.
>>
>buying repro shit
>>
ww1 camo always looked cool to me
>>
>>30154425
If the helmet (as in the actually physical material) is original mil surplus level goodness then who the fuck cares about the paint job and decals. Those will deteriorate over time anyway and will need to be touched up, refurbished, "reproduced" anyway.

Also get the WWII version. Way sexier. Nazi's were fucked up but WWII Wehrmacht uniforms/gear/helmets were sweet. Especially their camo patterns.
>>
>>30156166
Yea both helmets would be original, just repro paint/decals.
>>
I'd go the m35/40/42 stahlhelm mein juden. They have a better more comfortable profile. As a previous anon said the decal will deteriorate with time so it's all good. Original paintjob is more interesting to be honest.
>>
>>30156963
Original paint degrades just as bad as decals.
>>
>>30154425
Is this just for show, or do you plan to go larp the invasion of poland? What kind of display/impression is this for?
The original helmet refurbishers do a fantastic job these days, matching the original color and using the same aluminum oxide spray as the German factories did. German orders about helmet decals were more laissez-faire than a circa-2011 Stefan Molyneux video, so as long as you're not being anachronistic, its more of a preference thing.
t. reenactor
>>
>>30160014

What reproduction M35 would you recommend as just something to have? Or should I maybe get one of those Hungarian M38s?
>>
File: 1.png (723 KB, 340x867) Image search: [Google]
1.png
723 KB, 340x867
>>30160055
It seems like the all reproductions are being made by one factory these days because everyone is carrying the same apple-green, off-sized m35. Regardless, I picked up one of these
http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GHRHM35
a while back to have something a bit larger that I can wear over a toque during the winter. Once the camo-covers are on, the differences are pretty much invisible.
You could probably pass off an m38 as an ersatz helmet for an impression later on in the war. The entire Wehrmacht, and especially the Waffen SS, were a band of thieving magpies.
>>
>>30160289

I misread your post originally, I didn't realize you meant refurbished originals. So no reproductions are really on spec?
>>
>>30160412
They're all a bit wonky but passable. The shells are off-sized and the color and texture of the paint is wrong. You can fix the color problem by ordering one of these sprays
1st - RAL 6003 Apple Green pre/early-war
2nd - RAL 6006 Grey Olive early/mid-war
3rd - RAL 7009 Green Grey mid/late war
The euros have matched the colors with their magical paint system. It's best to just go with a reproduction m35. Its good for any point in the war and matching the proper aluminum oxide texture on the wartime models will be a pain in the ass.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.