[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nofuns has questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: 1464434221892.jpg (321 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464434221892.jpg
321 KB, 1620x1080
Hello /k/omandos. I have lurked around here for about 2 weeks know. I finally decided to get a shotgun for home defense and control. I chased a killed an armadillo with an axe, which wasn't fun.

I have a few questions:
1. http://www.mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-all-purpose-32202/ wat u think? I'm looking for cheap.
2. How necessary is a safe?
3.Can slugs and scattershot shells both can be safely fired from the same shotgun?
4. How difficult is moving to a new house with funs?
5.How much should I spend on a flashlight attachment?

Any other shit I should know?

Pic...related?
>>
1. Maverick 88 is fine for a first shotgun. Will function fine and had plenty of aftermarket shit.

2. Unecessary for a $200 shotgun. A gun lock and a good hiding spot out of reach of children is fine if this is your only gun.

3. A cylinder-bore shotgun can safely fire any type of shotshell as long as it is marked for that gauge and length. This means slugs, buckshot, birdshot and anything else.

4. New house is easy. New state can be tricky depending on the state. I think that maverick is going to be legal pretty much everywhere but DC. Maybe it is there too, I don't know.

5. We can't tell you how much to spend. It's much easier if you give a budget and we tell you available options in that range.
>>
File: 1462068138186.jpg (36 KB, 520x416) Image search: [Google]
1462068138186.jpg
36 KB, 520x416
>>30154387
>I chased a killed an armadillo with an axe
STORY
>>
File: 1464590576540.png (644 KB, 725x652) Image search: [Google]
1464590576540.png
644 KB, 725x652
>>30154387
>I chased a killed an armadillo with an axe, which wasn't fun.
>mfw
you passed your initiation, youre no longer a newfag
>>
>>30154387
As someone who has also chased and armadillo and beaten it to death with a baseball bat (little hellspawn were tearing up my yard and burrowing under my HVAC unit) let me assure you that a 12ga will get the job done.
>>
>>30154481
>>30154488
Hope he enjoys having leprosy
>>
>>30154387
Maverick's are fine, though the forend pins like to break under heavy use. I personally would get a 500 Combo, which will have two barrels, usually field and security or field and slug. You will get more utility out of that.

Having a safe is more of a deterrent, it adds difficulty to stealing your gun(s), though won't stop a determined thief with time on his hands. If you have kids or worry about theft, it may make sense to get one. Keep in mind, it will make reacting to threats slower.

Slugs and shot can generally be shot from the same barrel, with a couple exceptions. There are two types of slugs commonly used, Foster and sabot. Fosters are fired from a smooth bore and fly like a shuttlecock, the light tail keeping it stable. Sabot slugs are fired from a dedicated, rifled barrel and are expensive. Also, an extremely constricted choke (usually tighter than full) can cause issues with Fosters.

Entirely depends on your unique situation. Take the barrel off and put it in a plain box, I guess.

The cheapest mounts are clamps, which are like $10-15. Unless you plan to throw the gun around, they will likely work. If you really use the light a lot, get a better mount.
>>
File: 50577-catalog.jpg (60 KB, 835x172) Image search: [Google]
50577-catalog.jpg
60 KB, 835x172
>>30154387
the maverick is a bit of odd choice, excellent overall,
try #50577 extended tube 8 shot capacity for 452
or go with a six shot (I have the eight shot and I like it)
or go for the 590A1 cost a little more but works just as well
>>
>>30154507
Does anyone have that screencap? It's gold.
>>
File: four_rules.png (75 KB, 250x150) Image search: [Google]
four_rules.png
75 KB, 250x150
>>30154387
>1. http://www.mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-all-purpose-32202/ wat u think? I'm looking for cheap.
The Maverick works, and particularly well for it's price, though if you have the money, I suggest moving up to the Mossberg 500 or 590, same gun but better made.

>2. How necessary is a safe?
Depends, do you have kids, do you live in a shitty neighborhood, do you have shitty drug abusing relatives?
A safe can keep your gun safe from theft and keep others who do not know better safe from improperly handling it, but it's not a 100% necessity.

>3.Can slugs and scattershot shells both can be safely fired from the same shotgun?
They should with modern guns.

>4. How difficult is moving to a new house with funs?
Shouldn't be too hard, put your gun(s) in pelican cases (or maybe move the entire safe if you have lots of guns), and put it in your car or truck. Make sure to keep an eye on it though, guns are attractive targets of theft to lowlifes.

>5.How much should I spend on a flashlight attachment?
Couldn't answer you in truth, but it's not a terrible idea for a HD shotgun, I'll say that.

Furthermore, observe these rules, they are vitally important, NEVER SHOOT AT SOMETHING OR SOMEONE YOU HAVEN'T POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED AS A THREAT, NEVER SHOOT TO WARN, SCARE OR WOUND, A FIREARM IS A LETHAL WEAPON AND IS USED AS SUCH, YOU PRESENT A WEAPON AS A THREAT OR RESPONSE TO A THREAT, OR YOU USE IT TO STOP A THREAT WITH LETHAL FORCE, IF HE SURVIVES, DO NOT FINISH HIM OFF, IF HE'S STOPPED BEING A THREAT, DISARM HIM AND CALL 911.
>>
>>30154387
>No guns coming to /w/ and calling them funs.

You can fuck right back to Hilarys crotch.
>>
File: economy 9mm.png (84 KB, 1099x421) Image search: [Google]
economy 9mm.png
84 KB, 1099x421
>>30154387
Also, I suggest that in addition to a shotgun, you sometime down the line get a handgun of some sort, it can be any regular old pistol, there's some decent ones that can be had for less than $400, pic related lists a few basic 9mm pistols that are all rather good.

Besides being fun, they're just good to have.

>>30155303
Who jizzed on your toast?
>>
>>30155303
/k/ has been calling firearms funs since the beginning.
>>
>>30154387
Why the fuck would you kill an armadillo? They eat grubs.
>>
File: get_out.gif (868 KB, 295x210) Image search: [Google]
get_out.gif
868 KB, 295x210
>>30154387
>I chased a killed an armadillo with an axe
Better hope you thouroughly sanitized yourself after that, armadildos are a known vector for leprosy, not as serious a condition with modern medicine and understanding, we can handle it today, but it's NOT fun to have.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.