[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (268 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
268 KB, 1600x1200
I can't figure out what's happening to my firearms. I've got a gun rack built in my closet, and I leave my rifles hung up. Ever since I've done this, they've started to accrue this weird coppery powder over some of the metal parts of the gun (like the bolt on my Ruger 10/22 or the dust cover and trigger guard of my milled AK). It doesn't look like rust, and almost looks like a coppery dust that covers almost the entirety of the affected area. It wipes off with a towel or a sock, leaving normal, untouched metal behind

Is this rust? If so, what the hell can I do to prevent it?
>>
>>30154181
That is called rust. Your storage is humid
>>
Do you wipe the outside of your guns with a mineral oil before storing them? Maybe get a 5 dollar air dehumidifier and place it in the safe/rack/room.
>>
>>30154196
I don't generally store them for long periods of time, maybe a couple of weeks between range trips. I don't wipe them down, should I? What oil would you use?

I'll grab a dehumidifier though. I mean it sounded a hell of a lot like rust, but it happens pretty quickly.
>>
>>30154207
My apartment is so humid that a non-stainless screwdriver caught rust within 3 days, shit works fast.

http://nextbukoutdoors.com/gun-care-product-evaluation/
>>
Where do you live?
>>
>>30154207
WD40 WIPE IT DOWN AND LEAVE IT AND REAPPLY AFTER HANDLING

GOOD RUST INIHBITIING PROPERTIES ESP GOOD FOR PARKED METAL. BLUED MAKE SURE IT HAS A NICE SHEEN SAFE FOR PLASTIC AND WOOD TOO
>>
>>30154277
This. You won't be bothered by the rust because it will be covered in white waxy buildup instead.
>>
>>30154277
>WD40
>room dust turns it into a nasty gunk you have to scrape off
>learned this the hard way using it on a skateboard stored in a closet

Slip 2000/Lucas/Weapon Shield/many CLPs all avoid this.

Hell, I don't think even 3-in-1 oil does this bad. WD40 is a meme lubricant, it's used to remove moisture, not as any sort of CLP.
>>
Get a tuf-cloth, wipe guns down before storing.
>>
Wipe down periodically with CLP.

CLP

CL FUCKING P
>>
Bullshit. That's gold. Scrape it off until you get a decent pile of gold dust and take it to the pawnshop to trade for more dakka.
>>
>>30154181
>It wipes off with a towel or a sock, leaving normal, untouched metal behind
It's actually insect poo.
>>
>>30154755
It's golem cum
>>
Metal will rust. Get a brush and get rid of the rust. Coat the guns with CLP, and use a lot. Whip it so it's lightly oiled. Make sure it has oil on it always
>>
Put a dehumidifer in your closet. Set it to maintain an RH% below 60.
>>
Just buy a few bottles of Hoppe's Gun oil.

It works well, and lasts a long time. A bottle is like sub 2 bucks anyways.

And yes, that is rust, you dummy.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.