[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's end this retarded argument once and for all. Is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1461551459388.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3072) Image search: [Google]
1461551459388.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3072
Let's end this retarded argument once and for all.
Is the Zumwalt good?
Does the stealth-ness make any difference since it's a giant ship?
How does it compete with the latest arlighe-burke 1v1
How does it defend itself again Russia and china?
>>
>>30152978
>Is the Zumwalt good?
It's a decent piece of wooden shipbuilding. A worthy successor of USS Constitution.
>>
>>30152978
>Is the Zumwalt good?

Yes.

>Does the stealth-ness make any difference since it's a giant ship?

When it has a RCS of a fishing boat, yes.

>How does it compete with the latest arlighe-burke 1v1

Arleigh Burke.

And a false comparison, they perform different roles.

>How does it defend itself again Russia and china?

The same way any ship in the USN does.
>>
>>30153030
>http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/ddg-1000-zumwalt-stealth-warship

>The ship design includes an upper-section deckhouse (superstructure) constructed with panels and beams made of carbon fiber/vinyl ester skins and balsa and/or foam cores.

>Joe Pantalone, Alcan Baltek’s market manager, reports that Navy engineers selected balsa core because they learned early in their evaluation of composite materials that “the mechanical properties of balsa as a core material compared to its cost are significantly better than any other material.” Pantalone likens balsa, with its cellular structure of cellulose fiber in a lignin matrix, to the fiber/resin makeup of a composite. He reports that Navy tests showed that a balsa-core sandwich contained fire spread better than those cored with foam or honeycomb. “Balsa doesn’t burn very well at all,” says Pantalone. “Rather, it chars slowly. So it does a better job of insulating the opposite-side skin, unlike foam, which softens and transfers heat more readily.” Unlike honeycomb core, wood cells are terminal or closed in the thickness direction, he adds, so balsa requires no intermediate barrier material to prevent ingress of resin during infusion, keeping cost down and ensuring that the balsa core retains its low weight.
>>
Its great at its role, its bad at the Burke's role. People comparing it to the burke is what leads to people saying its bad.
>>
>>30153144
What are these roles Exactly?
>>
>>30153186
Ticos and Burkes are designed around defending their fleets from aircraft/missiles/subs, Zumwalts are designed around attacking land targets.

The fact that Mk41 and Mk57 VLS cells can accept a wide array of missiles blurs their roles.
>>
>>30153225
I thought the stealth ship was designed to fire missiles at Chines ships in order to incite a war with Britain
>>
>>30153283
No that was the sea shadow
>>
Obviously it's not good enough to be built en massed
>>
I won't like it until they put a railgun on it.
>>
File: 14454744495.jpg (387 KB, 798x1000) Image search: [Google]
14454744495.jpg
387 KB, 798x1000
>>30153283
>that reference
kek'd
>>
>>30153143
So, yeah, it's a wood.
>>
No, it's littoraly a boondoggle. Someone somewhere in USN couldn't get over Iowa decommissioning, so he pulled a few strings to fund this oddity before being retired himself.

Inadeqaute shape compromising vessel's seaworthiness;
RCS the size of a fishing boat which means enemy will still detect it even with it's radar turned off. Which kinda defeats the whole 'stealth' design;
Insufficient armament because dude railguns lmao;
Insufficient armor because dude stealth rofl;
Insufficient range;
Wood;
Zero combat application for a fire support vessel when you have carriers.
>>
>>30153772
So, yeah, you didn't actually read what it was made of.
>>
>>30153776
>I don't actually know anything about the subject, but feel my opinion has value
>>
>>30153776
And here's the retard who doesn't understand detection ranges.
>>
>>30153143
Jesus Christ, did they not take high school English? We understood they were talking about balsa after the first sentence.
>>
>>30152978
>Is the Zumwalt good?
Eeeh. It's not outright bad.
>Does the stealth-ness make any difference since it's a giant ship
Probably. Somewhat.
>How does it compete with the latest arlighe-burke 1v1
Dumb question.
>How does it defend itself again Russia and china?
It doesn't.
>>
I just want to see one in big waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx57-LnuuFs
>>
So it has rail guns and also a focus on the integrated whatever thing like the f-35 does.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.