[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm assuming some of you are old enough to have lived through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13
I'm assuming some of you are old enough to have lived through the 1994 AWB. What was it like? Was there an actual huge difference during that ten year period? Older fags, get in here. Tell us your stories.
>>
>>30152717
Gang violence was a huge problem, and since gangs didn't typically use rifle, the AWB had zero impact. The Columbine massacre also happened during the AWB.
>>
>>30152717

the 1911 was hugely popular since it had a sub-10 round capacity. everybody was making compact 1911s. people pinned fixed stocks and sawed off bayonet lugs and pinned brakes. magazines were stupid expensive.
>>
>>30152717

During the AWB, I clearly remember watching lots of ninja turtles and having a turtle's inspired addiction to pizza

>I was 9 years old
>>
>>30152717
I want a refund I never got any of that in NJ
>>
I bought an AK after the ban ended for like $100 dollars in a gunshop outside of a U.S. military base. Prices took a fucking dump.

All of these old fuckers were crying because their Colt LE 6920's dropped to very low prices.
>>
>>30152717
modern sporting rifle offerings were pretty drab
>>
File: 13253466747483.jpg (381 KB, 2000x1138) Image search: [Google]
13253466747483.jpg
381 KB, 2000x1138
>watching Jurassic Park when I was a kid
>dad is hasguns
>ask dad if he will ever buy the gun Muldoon has (SPAS-12)
>he says maybe
>comes home the next day
>tells me he can't buy one because of the AWB
>ask what that is
>"A bunch of politicians decided we couldn't have certain guns."
>my soul when

I think that was the day I became an American. Because I got fucking mad at a bunch of fucks far away from where I lived trying to tell my family what we could and could not have.
>>
>>30152867
Watching the Lost World right now (already watched Jurassic Park,) famalam. That shit's on Netflix now.
>>
>>30152717
>Was there an actual huge difference during that ten year period?
Well I went from not existing to being alive.

That was a pretty big difference for me.
>>
File: a dream never realized.jpg (73 KB, 500x239) Image search: [Google]
a dream never realized.jpg
73 KB, 500x239
>>30152936

I liked LW. Really loved the overgrown buildings in the jungle setting it had.

Nick finding the mural in the Compound and a faded version of the theme started to play was one of my favorite scenes when I watched it.
>>
>>30152853
>modern sporting rifle

please dont do this
>>
File: post modern.jpg (18 KB, 633x348) Image search: [Google]
post modern.jpg
18 KB, 633x348
>>30153026
Yeah, everyone knows we're onto Post-Modern Sporting Rifles now
>>
>>30152717
>hi cap magazine
But thats a standard capacity magazine
>>
>>30153112

During the ban anything over 10 was considered "Hi-Cap"
>>
Milsurp was cheap
1911's were the shit
AR's sucked
Kimber was gud
Cabelas had good prices on ammo

Shit and Wexson was as gay as ever, Ruger was shit (P series amirite), Remingturd was ok, Colt was just as shit, Spergfield same story

Fuddlore was worse

Leather holsters mang, dat Galco 3 Slot
>>
>>30153428
>p-series
>shit
You've never touched a gun, have you?
>>
File: 1462658002378.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1462658002378.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
>>30153083
kek
>>
Because of the capacity limitation-larger calibers were more popular .One of the main advantages of 9 over 45 is capacity .
Older standard capacity mags were available but ridiculously overpriced .
The lack of muzzle devices REALLY slowed
down high-speed shooting and their overall
development was slowed .
On the good side -mag change techniques
advanced ,mag carrying equipment advanced ,
and faster use optics improved .
Criminals weren't affected in any way .
>>
>>30152717
Pre ban mags and guns were going for ridiculous money.

Black rifle enthusiasts were doing what they could (pinned collapsible stocks, muzzle devices that looked like flashiders but weren't, etc.)

Big surge of interest in 40S&W because of the 10 round capacity limit. Not a big surge in single stack 9mm (although there were some) surprisingly.
>>
>>30153083
>Post modern sporting rifles....
I need this in my life.
>>
File: STOP PAINTING ME.jpg (4 MB, 3514x2827) Image search: [Google]
STOP PAINTING ME.jpg
4 MB, 3514x2827
>>30153083
this gun tries way too hard to be a steyr aug
>>
>>30153936

If that's what you think, than you're retarded.
>>
Watched the vote for AWB on C-SPAN while a poorfag in collage. Had a 10/22 and a Mini-30 and that was about it. Ruger would not even make a mag holding more than 5 for a mini-30 back then.

Get into reloading just in time for the great primer scare of '96.

Always looking at Shotgun News. Seeing advertisements for Sky Model 28 nuggets for $149. Mummy wrapped 44 nuggets for $69.00. M39 nuggets for something cheap i can't remember. Forget that, too cheap a price, must be shit. Be real smart and buy post ban gems like a Bushmaster vanilla model and try to make gun-show pro-mag 30 rounders run right.

Older now. Wont run out of primers or Finnuggets or brownell straight 20 rounders.
>>
I live it now in NJ - same rules apply so I either have to buy NJ legal rifles (which of course cost more but have less features), or buy a non-compliant rifle and have my FFL 'fix' it before i get my grubby mitts on it.
>>
The end result was when it ended, slowly but surely, EVERY-FUCKING-COMPANY started making ARs and accessories, or other semi auto rifles.

That, and there's a lot of mags floating around that are stamped "Restricted military/law enforcement/export only xx/xx/94"
>>
>>30153936
Bitch that is the most wrong way to use a napkin i have ever seen
>>
>>30152717
Used Glock mags cost $100 (20 years ago)
Everything was more expensive and only held 10 rounds.
Crime stayed exactly the same.
>>
>>30153026
That's what they're called.
>>
File: Captionbotmaymay.png (382 KB, 848x739) Image search: [Google]
Captionbotmaymay.png
382 KB, 848x739
>tfw parents bought me a gen2 glock 17 in 1997 with two pre-ban mags and one 33 round mag.
>tfw the gun was legitimately lost during a boating accident in 2003

I miss that thing
>>
I remember century C1a1s for $400 and WASRs for $325 as far as the eye could see at gun shows.
>>
>>30154831
>gun was legitimately lost during a boating accident
So, what exactly would a legitimate, and therefore plausible, boating accident sound like? Please reply before the next election .
>>
>>30155131

No i mean i was actually on a boat with the weapon and it capsized and i lost the gun.

I almost drowned but it was my own stupid fault for not heeding the small craft advisory. A large wave threw me and my buddy and my gun into the water. We almost drowned but were able to swim to shore after quite a lot of effort. Young and dumb.
>>
>>30155161
Gotcha. That might happen to me if Hillary gets elected. Hmmm... Have to register the boat for saltwater to make it plausible...
>>
>>30155161
Thanks anon
>>
>>30152717

I was born in 94', I am glad to be 22 now and don't have to put up with that bullshit for owning guns. I just hope my generation doesn't fuck it up more.
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 1200x1200
Before the AWB, Walmart stores stocked 30 round magazines. I can remember, after its passing, going to Walmart with my dad and buying every hi cap mag they had. Everything was a steep discount and there was no crazy mob rush like there would be today.

$2,000 Colt Preban ARs
$120 Butler Creek Hot Lips 30 10/22 mags
$70 STANAG mags

Of course none of this mattered if you were in LE.
>>
>>30154767
Dont forget that prices are super inflated here to begin with
>>
>>30152717
Bought a SAR 1 in 2001 for $275. 30 round mags at gun shows were $25 a piece, and 1k rounds of ammo was $75. There just wasn't the demand like their is now for standard cap mags, and fun semi autos. Sure mags were more expensive, and preban stuff was as well, but you could still get the rifles without the scary folding stocks, bayonet lugs, and flash hiders.
>>
>>30152717
My dad was a cop and in 99 the department wanted patrol officers to have AR15s, so they gave everyone 600 bucks to "go get one".

I was 8 and I remember going to this hole in the wall gun store to pick up the gun with my dad.

It was a literal 94 ban special. Fixed A2 stock, fixed carry handle on a DPMS 16 inch M4 style upper with a pinned competition style muzzle break. It truly was an abomination, ill try to find a pic to post.

I do remember my dad buying the 20 round mags that had the "LAW ENFORCEMENT / GOV / EXPORT ONLY" stamps which I still use when I shoot from a bench.

And of course my dad being a jaded cynical motherfucker joked when we got the mags and the gun, "only 20 rounds? But there's like 30 people at the post office!"
>>
>>30155161
>i was actually on a boat

I thought boats were only a meme.
>>
>>30155652
I wish it were just a meme. I'd still have that old glock. I haven't been on a boat since, but I think that's more out of fear of drowning rather than a fear of losing another gun.
>>
File: 1.jpg (18 KB, 351x329) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
18 KB, 351x329
>>30154820
Her knife is backwards too
>>
File: mai_raifu.jpg (609 KB, 1545x907) Image search: [Google]
mai_raifu.jpg
609 KB, 1545x907
I'm 32. The ban didn't really do anything other than make preban stuff expensive, stocks all fixed, and bayonet lugs disappear. More compact pistols hit the market since there was less incentive to get something that'd take a large mag.

Here in Mass the 1994 AWB is still in effect and other that being pointlessly irritating (gotta get that muzzle brake welded) it still does nothing.

Most of what it did was psychological. It made antis feel good about themselves, it make gun owners angry, and after the AWB sunset the market for military-type rifles exploded for no particular reason because retards thought you couldn't buy an AR a few days before.
>>
>>30156363
Also, the OTHER bans no one talks about have had a bigger impact on the shooting scene. The Chinese and Russian import bans, the bans on steel core milsurp ammo, the foreign parts count regulations, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I started collecting guns right at the end of that time. I can remember going to gun shows both pre and post 2004. Pre 2004 there were a lot of ARs and AKs being sold that just looked neutered. But since that was all I ever knew in person it didn't bother me and my friends so much. I'd hear old times talking about "pre-ban" stuff like it was mythic. Afterwords, It took awhile for production of high cap mags, muzzle brakes, and stocks to ramp up but it was a night and day difference when they hit the shelves.

Here is a relic from that era. Note the lack of a bayonet lug. It was originally meant to hold only single stack 10 round mags. I've spent some time reworking it into a better rifle.
>>
>>30152717
Well my state (Montana) retorted by declaring that enforcing weapon regulations is not actually technically a power the feds have unless it happens to cross a state line.

So the state of montana declared that machineguns manufactured in state would be legal so long as they never left the state.

Feds shit bricks and our state fucked with em a bit more by removing all highway speed limits. Road deaths actually decreased too because instead of ticketing for speed cops just ticketed for shitty driving focusing on actual saftey instead of an arbitrary speed limit.

So while clinton was trying to castrate america I was riding my motorcycle on the highway at 120 MPH and waving hello to cops as I passed em. And buying all the stuff they had tried to ban because while federally illegal nobody in our state gave half a fuck.

They eventually managed to force us to comply to thier federal bullshit by subverting the democratic process and cutting funding to our schools and fire departments n stuff, but we showed em if they ever really get out of hand with the fed shit we will just ignore them.

Looks like it really sucked to live elsewhere though. Those years saw a lot of federal crackdowns.
>>
>>30152846
Is that based dangerous faggot? And more importantly is there any videos of said based dangerous faggot enjoying the 2nd amendment?
>>
>>30154820
owls in the rafters, senpai
>>
I was working in the USA at the time. A very good friend of mine, who had just started a business, had a massive increase in trade because he offered precision and very long distance shooting courses - none of which had been infringed on by the AWB.

>Was there an actual huge difference during that ten year period?

It wasn't a great time. Not just because of the inane laws, but the whole place was very on edge. It's the only time I've felt uneasy in the USA and I've been visiting since the 1960s. Bad mood and a lot of bad things happening.
>>
>>30152717
I remember nuggets going for like $30 and sks for like $75
>>
>>30156512
Also, AKs started at like $275. SKS were $150, ARs started at $450ish, Nuggets were $60 (M44's $75). Ammo was dirt cheap.
>>
>>30152846
I hit 18 the year it sunset. Prices plummeted. G3 clones were like 400 bucks. Aks were like 350. It was crazy. Then Obama happened and prices took a spike after Sandy hoax.
>>
>>30155178
just get a kayak. People dump over all the time in those.
>>
>>30152717
I was 4.
>>
>>30153428
>>30153538

I have a '93 P-91dc and it is a great gun. Not too accurate to a distance these days, but I would trust that gun to cycle any day and hit something accurately within the confines of my home.
>>
I remember my older bro pinning a crappy aftermarket flash suppressor and a barrel shroud on his Ruger 10/22, and being supremely pissed that he couldn't get anything bigger than 10 round mags.

>tfw that ugly piece of shit is a baby killing assault weapon in California
>>
>>30156513
Montana is the America of America it seems
>>
>>30156513
Based state.
>>
>>30153026

You'd rather them be called assault rifles?
>>
>>30156513
I'm about to move to montana. Holy shit that's america
>>
File: 9386191_1.jpg (34 KB, 1200x348) Image search: [Google]
9386191_1.jpg
34 KB, 1200x348
>>30152717
remember all the cucked to death "pls kil me" guns that came out during this time

pic related poor cucked g36
>>
>>30157821
That actually looks kinda cool t b h famalam.
>>
Lurking. No one has ever really broken down how shitty it was. Old timers never seem to want to re-live those days. I mean, without the internet did you guys even know this was going down?
>>
>>30157869
Newspapers, talking with fellow humans.
>>
>>30157869

The web existed for most of the ban, and pre-web discussion groups like Usenet predated it by years.
>>
>>30156538
Yes it is he.
>>
>>30156570
Where you from freindo
>>
>>30157869
I knew a man, who I know to be very trustworthy and decent, become convinced that the FBI had turned a friend of his against him. They hadn't, and the man hadn't broke any laws, but it was the sort of thing people were being driven to.

Socially it ran a lot deeper than a "you can't have that" law. You had people calling each other informants, feds and so on. FFLs being completely paranoid. It didn't require the government to have a large overbearing presence. They caused enough damage and turned enough people against each other.
>>
>>30158216
I'm from the UK, but I spend a few months of the year in the USA and have done for decades.
>>
>>30156418
This. I could weather a AWB if it was mostly like the 94 one, but not being able to get cheep as fuck milsurp ammo and Russian equipment is pissing me off. 54r being my biggest complaint.
>>
Bought my first Ar during the ban, made it from a parts kit called a pcr15 by Olympic arms on a stinger arms lower.
Pcr meant politically correct rifle, lel.
Put it together for about $800 - it was a 24" match barrel (broach cut) not the cheap $400 kit.
Way better than all the advertised pre-bans going for $2500-3000
>>
>>30155575
Your old man sounds like a bro
>>
>>30156931
how about we be better than biased associations, and just describe the operation
semi auto rifles
>>
>>30158772
Sure its an old joke, but I got a chuckle out of the post office bit.

>back when people could laugh about fucketry like that instead of having to take a "side"
>>
>>30152717
mfw live in mass and have almost the exact same AWB laws as in 1994, feels fucking bad man.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.