[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Makarov the best surplus handgun right now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12
File: Makarov_4.jpg (56 KB, 350x281) Image search: [Google]
Makarov_4.jpg
56 KB, 350x281
Is the Makarov the best surplus handgun right now?
>>
yes, but the price isn't competitive against new single stack 9x19 pistols, anymore.

The Russian/Ukraine conflict has raised the price of ammo too. So you have a round that kicks like a 9mm luger, but is only 3% hotter than a 9mm Kurz.That costs more than 9mm Luger.
>>
>>30123738
it's 9x18 not x19
>>
>>30123738
No guns europoor here.

>The Russian/Ukraine conflict has raised the price of ammo too.

Where does the US civilian gun crowd get it's ammo from? Is it imported from russia when it comes to russian weapons or does it differ per weapon? I thought US made plenty ammo?
>>
File: P64.jpg (597 KB, 1000x650) Image search: [Google]
P64.jpg
597 KB, 1000x650
h-how does this compare to the Radom P64? It's still a cheap gun.
>>
>>30123714

The P64 is better for CC because its smaller.
>>
>>30123760
a lot of our commie surplus ammo was coming from Ukraine. especially the 5.45x39.

bear ammo is made in russia, and bear is the usually ammo for Mak owners in America.

>>30123751
9mm Parabellum/luger is 9x19mm.

9mm Makarov is 9.22x18mm

.380auto/ 9mm Kurz is 9x17mm
>>
File: welp.gif (113 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
welp.gif
113 KB, 480x270
>>30123777
thanks for the lesson human calculator
>>
>>30123714
Depends on what you're looking for.

For a pocket gun or a gun to put in your suitcase or bag, it's good, it's compact, easy to shoot and very safe.

The Walther P1 and P4 aren't amazing, as they're kind of bulky and only hold 8+1, but they work, and they're cheap.

>>30123763
Better than a Jennings but I hear the trigger is ass.
>>
>>30123777
>>30123760

I buy Sellier and Bellot for my mak food.
>>
>>30123714
They were...now they are drying up and for the price they are going for if your an american, just buy a single stack 9mm or .380 like a Ruger or Glock.
>>
MUTATED DICK GRIP
>>
>>30123714
Maybe...
>>
>>30123763
you can still get a somewhat worn p64 from aim for $200. I'm thinking about getting one.
>>
>>30123714
>heavy
>low capacity
>bad trigger pull
>$300
>underpowered, expensive caliber that you can't shoot at indoor ranges because it's all magnetic projectiles
>"best" in any category

No way!

For the same price ($300) or less, you can get a surplus CZ 75 pre-B, an FEG Hi Power, a Jericho 941, or even an American pistol, like the Smith & Wesson 59, 5906, or other variants - all of which are going to be high capacity, chambered in 9x19, have better triggers, and overall be built to a higher standard, since they didn't use communist slave labor in their manufacture. For $100 more, you can get a surplus FN Hi Power, which is really as good as you're going to get, surplus or not.
>>
>>30123990
the DA trigger pull is horrendous but easily fixed
>>
File: IMG_0196.jpg (1 MB, 1628x1300) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0196.jpg
1 MB, 1628x1300
They were the best when they were $150 or less. Now you can save for one more week and buy a police trade-in Glock or Sig.

>>30123765

Eh, barely, in practice you wouldn't notice the difference since they weigh about the same.
>>
I always thought the Russians did it right with a compact side arm for general issue. The West should have went with something PPK sized as a standard.
>>
just go full slavboo and ccw the mak
>>
File: 8.jpg (21 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
21 KB, 852x480
>>30123845
I believe that's called an Asian.
>>
>>30123714
>>30123765
CZ-82
>>
File: 745674576.png (893 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
745674576.png
893 KB, 1920x1080
>>30123714
Is this a good CC holster?

http://aliengearholsters.com/makarov-alien-gear-cloak-tuck-3-0-iwb-holster-inside-the-waistband.html
>>
File: nogunz.png (1 MB, 1773x396) Image search: [Google]
nogunz.png
1 MB, 1773x396
Should I buy this bulgarian dick grips? They want $350 after everything and only comes with one magazine. It looks like it's in such good shape that I feel like I should take it.
>>
>>30128884
and they will all cost more and be in worse condition. I'm waiting for your point.
>>
>>30132426
You probably should. $350 is pretty much what snackarovs cost these days unless you find a slammin' deal.
>>
File: pix844435010.jpg (32 KB, 567x425) Image search: [Google]
pix844435010.jpg
32 KB, 567x425
>>30132439
>cost more
Not really. You can get all these guns for the same price range of $250-350 as Makarovs sell for, and if $30-50 extra really is such a lot of money to you, then you have no business even spending Makarov money on a gun. It's such a waste to spend so much on any gun that you won't even be able to afford to feed.

>and be in worse condition
Aren't we talking about surplus handguns? Cosmetic condition doesn't matter in the slightest. If you wanted a new gun, then you should have bought a new gun and not surplus. It's the internal condition that matters the most, and surplus guns typically are in fine mechanical condition. Like with anything, though, spending just a small amount more can get you a gun in better condition. I recently won pic related on Gunbroker for $355 (still in transit), which looks great to me and is priced well under what some of the nicer Makarovs sell for (i.e., $400 range for East German Maks), although Buds Gun Shop was selling these in slightly worse condition for $299 recently (they might still have some in stock).

And again, I don't know why I should have to remind you, but we're talking apples and oranges here. Your Makarov is a low capacity, underpowered handgun with a terrible trigger. My CZ 75 pre-B is a high capacity 9mm with a great trigger.
>>
>>30132710
A $350 Makarov will be practically New Old Stock.

A $350 Hi Power or CZ 75 will be in shitty condition.

The Makarov is more reliable than the Hi Power or CZ. It's more reliable than most handguns.

The Makarov is easier to carry than two full-size combat pistols.

also you're a big fat dumbie.
>>
>>30132733
>A $350 Makarov will be practically New Old Stock.
No. You're just retarded. A lot of these ex-Soviet guns that come over have been REFINISHED. If 9x18 were commonly corrosive, you'd see them have sewer pipe bores, just like those "New Old Stock" TTC's that Century and PW Arms imported not too long ago.
>A $350 Hi Power or CZ 75 will be in shitty condition.
Are you literally blind? Look at the gun in my picture. That pistol is in great condition. And I'm not talking about an FN Hi Power. I'm talking about FEG Hi Powers, which sell in very high condition right in the $350 range.
>The Makarov is more reliable than the Hi Power or CZ. It's more reliable than most handguns.
Where is the proof of this absurd and wrong claim? There is none because it's total bullshit.
>The Makarov is easier to carry than two full-size combat pistols.
And the Ruger LC9s Pro is easier to carry than a Makarov and costs about the same, new - much less comparing used to used.
>also you're a big fat dumbie.
I think you're just trying to rationalize spending too much on a piece of garbage handgun made by communists.
>>
>>30132771
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562133668

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562170102

those are actually NOS.
>>
>>30132781
Do you even understand what the term means? Are you one of those fags who lists his beat to shit Marlin Model 60 from the 80s on Armslist in "as new" condition? These terms have meaning. "New" literally means that you are buying a gun that has never been owned or shot by an owner before, and you're buying it from a primary, licensed dealer. "New Old Stock" means the same thing except that the gun has been with the dealer for longer than a few years and new models with improvements may have been released by the manufacturer. Notice how the seller in those Gunbroker listings doesn't call either pistol "New Old Stock," and just uses the GRADE of "unissued," which doesn't actually mean unissued - just that it appears that way. Guess what, I have a Glock that I've put 4000 rounds through and if I clean it up really well, it looks unissued too. These words don't mean what you seem to think they mean.
>>
File: 1459812408507.webm (1 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459812408507.webm
1 MB, 640x640
>>30132781
Do you think that these guns being in good condition makes 9x18 more powerful than 9x19, or 8 rounds a larger number than 15 or 16 rounds, or a bad trigger into a good trigger?
>>
>>30132771
>>30132771
I'm not the guy you're referring to but you are simply wrong on many things here.

>gun that you won't even be able to afford to feed.
9x18 Mak is not particularly expensive. Brown Bear is on gunbot for 20 c/r, albeit it is bimetal.

>A lot of these ex-Soviet guns that come over have been REFINISHED.
I'm sure that's true, but another things the Soviets did was make a fuckton of guns and immediately sock them away in cosmoline for years and years. My Bulgarain Makarov's service log show's the inspector's mark from the factory and nothing else. It was literally unissued before being imported

>Where is the proof of this absurd and wrong claim? There is none because it's total bullshit.
I can't personally speak of the CZ 75 reliability, but the Makarov is extremely hard to get to malfunction
see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEbbhRJNYw
try that with a Ruger LC9.
>>
>>30132802
>>30132817
You're really mentally challenged. They're new guns, while the ones you're referring to are fucking beat to shit from israel, you fucking morons.
>>
>>30132817
if any of those were a priority, then the guns you're talking about wouldn't even be on the radar. I'll take a cz p-09 light years before a cz 75 or a BHP. I'll take an HK45/MK23 before any of them.
>>
>>30132710
>You could have gotten these for $250-350, if you were there to see the deal on the day they immediately sold out
Fixed that for you, try and find me a Jericho or cz75 under 400 now that these sells are over.
>>
>>30132710
Where are you getting this bad trigger from?
If you haven't shot one(which you obviously have not had any range time with one) then why try and give advice about it?
I have a new production cz75b and a Bulgarian makarov and they are both loved equally, and I actually get way better groups with my makarov as well.
>>
>>30123714
Dick grips.
>>
Hey hey why not get a Tokarev??
>>
File: a76239y.jpg (47 KB, 480x312) Image search: [Google]
a76239y.jpg
47 KB, 480x312
>>30123760
Slav calibers generally come from Slavlands.

Lotsa surplus + the tooling is already there for factories.
>>
The Makarov makes a solid carry piece. You can occasionally find a sale going to get one for around $300 shipped to your FFL, but this price makes it compete with guns like the Shield 9 and other subcompacts that would probably be a better choice for carry.

That said, if you want one they are fine little guns. 9x18 is still plenty cheap for plinking ammo (SGAmmo has it often for cheap) and there are good defensive loads available from Buffalo Bore and Hornady.

With the addition of a heavier Wolf spring, recoil is extremely comfortable for even the heavy hitting Buffalo Bore hard cast loads. My girlfriend would rather shoot the Makarov with the heavier spring than her VP9.

Pearce makes a good textured rubber grip that improves the shootability quite a lot.

If the heel mag release bugs you, there is an Israeli company that makes a grip with a thumb mag release adapter built in. It is called a "PM-G" grip I believe.
>>
>>30135954
Also worth noting, the heavy SA pull makes the gun quite safe to carry in condition 1. DA pull is quick and measures around 5.1lbs average out of 20 pulls on mine.
>>
>>30133093
Why are you so autistic? The guy said that he couldn't afford a gun that costs more than $300. The natural implication is that if he only has $300 in his bank account, blowing it all on a gun will leave him no money for ammo.

Just because Makarovs are reliable doesn't mean that CZ 75's or Hi Powers aren't. You're not proving that guy's absurd claim.

>>30133107
Who gives a fuck? I don't buy surplus handguns because I want something that looks brand new. And even an "unfired" Soviet piece of shit is still a Soviet piece of shit. A used Belgian pistol is going to be an inherently better sidearm.

>>30133249
>the day they immediately sold out
You must not pay attention to gun forums very much or think that AIM represents the only importer of these guns. The CZ 75 pre-B's have been in stock for quite a while now. Buds had them in stock for at least two weeks, and CDI is still selling off the remainder of their supply. If you read /k/, or literally ANY other gun forum, you would have known about these guns being available and you would have jumped on them. Just because surplus guns are only sporadically available doesn't mean that they are not good guns, or that the prices they sell for, when available, are imaginary. All surplus guns come into the country sporadically. It just so happens that there's not a serious demand for 9x18 pistols, so they sit in stock forever and give the illusion of high demand...kind of like .40 caliber pistols.
>>
>>30133274
I own one. The double action trigger is heavy, stacks heavier toward the break, and has a ridiculous let off with a lot of overtravel. The single action trigger has a lot of creep and mush, and then a lot of overtravel. Maybe if you've never owned another pistol, you might think that this kind of trigger is normal, but it is not good in any respect.
>>
>>30135965
>DA pull is quick and measures around 5.1lbs
Your scale is broken. It's more like 15 pounds.
>>
>>30136039
For some reason I swapped DA and SA. Heavy DA pull makes it safe for carrying with one in the chamber, hammer down. Light SA pull for my Makarov measures close to 5.1lbs average across 20 pulls.
>>
>>30136170
>For some reason I swapped DA and SA.
No, I get it. Makarov owners aren't "gun guys."
>>
>>30136179
I started off my post saying it isn't going to be the best option in its price bracket.
>>
>>30123714
Me personally I'd just keep an eye on budsguns,i got a Jericho 941 FS for 240 and its in pretty good condition, Israeli surplus
>>
>>30133987
this, i was gonna buy one but then i saw the jerichos for sale on budsguns
>>
Would it at all be possible for a makarov PB to make it over to the states?
>>
>>30136210
Trusting your life with a gun made by jews? Ishygddt
>>
>>30136367
yup and i like it
>>
>>30130150
I just bought this a month ago for my p938, so far I love it! Wear it around on my motorcycle, and in my truck. Very comfortable and worth the price.
>>
>>30136568
t. shill
>>
mak best handgun
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30137764

Trim your finger nails you animal
>>
>>30132817
Can you imagine that cat giving you a bj
Because I can
And I like it
>>
>>30139275
Thank god I'm not the only one.
>>
>>30132817
> You'll never go innawoods operating with a fucking big cat
Why live?
>>
>>30123763
P64 is a decent little gun but only if you get the wolff spring set. My p64 from classic was no fun to shoot until I swapped them out.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.