[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /k/ feel about the depiction of firearms in video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
How does /k/ feel about the depiction of firearms in video games? What games do it best?
I've been dinking around a lot in Uncharted 4 with the slow motion tweak and bullet time tweak as well, and they've got a degree of animation and attention to detail going on that even more FPS games ignore.
They also use the world clip.
It's a mixed bag.
>>
Depends.

Does it have an historical or military Adviser?
Chances are it's shit.

does it have an historical or military adviser that did something other than lend his name to the credits?
Chances are it's alright.
>>
>>30122719
Squad is nice, but it's pre alpha. The gunplay is extremrly satisfying eith the only issue being the lack of impact with
bullets, which will apparently be added later. Getting hit with 7.62x54R and not even flinching is a bit of an issue, especially in cqb.
>>
>>30122719
>What games do it best?

Tripwire games. Red Orchestra, Killing Floor 1, etc use tons of audio samples from the actual weapons they are simulating. They are beautifully animated, too, the 9mm pistol in Killing Floor is more satisfying than the best weapon in most other games. Dat historical accuracy in RO as well.
>>
>>30122719
Arma 2 is fun. Arma 3 is shit
>>
>>30122719
I was pissed they made the model for a mosin sniper in Uncharted but it wasn't actually an usable weapon.
>>
PD2 has some really impressive weapon models and animations, though their ingame performance has been the usual videogame arcadey garbage ever since the rebalance nobody asked for last year.
>>
is there a FPS that takes into account bullet drop?
>>
>>30125195
Arma and actually even battlefield does it albeit probably not ballistically correct
>>
>>30125195
Sniper Elite
And you get to be a real American sniper and actually experience all that stress and shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 407x482) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 407x482
>>30125234
>>
>>30122820
>Historical accuracy in RO
>Let's give everyone with an SVT nine extra magazines instead of making them reload with clips
>Mk42b with ZF-41 optic and bayonet
>SVT bolts weren't given that finish until after the war
>Double-mag MP40 isn't unreliable dogshit
>Drum mag PPsH isn't unreliable dogshit
>The fucking PTRS is your only real option for killing a tank without suicide charging it, despite the multiple (non-functioning and static) towed AT guns on most of the major maps.
>Mortars strewn about on maps with shells clearly next to them, but they can't be used.
>>
>>30125898

>The fucking PTRS is your only real option for killing a tank without suicide charging it, despite the multiple (non-functioning and static) towed AT guns on most of the major maps.
>Mortars strewn about on maps with shells clearly next to them, but they can't be used.

I love the game, but these two points piss me off loads.
>>
>>30125898
That's some serious tism

>I can clearly see panzer iv parts and a crane on this map, why can't I assemble it into a functioning tank??
>>
>>30125182
Haven't touched it since they released the micro transaction shit
>>
>>30125952
when you advertise your game as being SO REAL SO AUTHENTIC yeah, accept that people will give you shit for fucking it up.
>>
>>30125898
>historical accuracy in RO
What, do you want the game to just make you miss? That makes no sense.
>Let's give everyone with an SVT nine extra magazines instead of making them reload with clips
It's called game balance. It would be annoying as fuck to have very limited ammo with painfully slow reloads on a weapon with box mags.
>Mk42b with ZF-41 optic and bayonet
They need some kind of upgrade...
>SVT bolts weren't given that finish until after the war
This one is a fair point.
>Double-mag MP40 isn't unreliable dogshit
Guns jamming in multiplayer games is annoying.
>Drum mag PPsH isn't unreliable dogshit
Guns jamming in multiplayer games is annoying.
What kind of mechanics would the AT gun use? Unrealistic, sure, but there needs to be balance.
This one is a good point.
>>
>>30126021
>genuine autism
>>
>>30126021
>SVT gets nine ten-round mags

>G41 gets nine five-round clips

This still pisses me off. Why do I get half the ammo the russians do?
>>
>>30122719
>How does /k/ feel about the depiction of firearms in video games?
Mostly shit for any realism, and weapon characteristics are just there for game balance above all else. Even the best ones can't compare to real shooting.
For instance, I guarantee you'd never used pistol in the uncharted series if it's stats weren't fucked beyond belief to often make it 100x better than rifles in that game.
>>
>>30126021
>They need some kind of upgrade...

It shouldn't be in the fucking game at all. There were only like 2k ever produced.
>>
>>30122719
Infiltration is probably the most accurate game when it comes to firearms, apart from dedicated gun simulators. It's a mod for UT99, of all things.

>M249 can use STANAG magazines, with separate reload animations and detailed animations for switching from belt to magazine
>AKM can use standard 30 round magazines or 75 round RPK drums, can be switched with a button press
>Player drops slide on empty pistols so they can be properly holstered, separate animation for pulling slide to chamber a round when pistol is empty and slide is forward
>da/sa pistols are da on first shot, sa on subsequent
>shotguns are first reloaded by loading into the chamber and then handfuls of 3 shells or less
>proper use of M203 ladder sights with proper ranges
>usable BUIS on ACOG
>MP5/40 uses bolt release it actually has on empty instead of HK slap
>G3 and MP5K use HK slap on tactical reloads due to the difficulty of inserting a mag on closed bolt, correctly ejects round from chamber
>>
>>30126037
>I'm the one who's autistic
>I don't nitpick every small detail in video games
>>
>>30126145
>someone else played that mod
ut99 is still one of the more fun games to ever exist, and the mods, especially u4e made things so crazy fun
>>
>>30126123
Okay? They still existed, and they're a pretty good upgrade for the rifle. I don't see you complaining about MG42 being in the game, though there are only a handful of anecdotes about MG42s in Stalingrad.
>>
>>30126094

Because you faggots get the mg-34 and mg-42
>>
Bethesda fucking did shit with guns in fallout 4 and 3.
>>
>>30125209

>battlefield

I wouldn't say Battlefield counts. If I remember right, all they do is purposefully offset the scope at long ranges so that you have to aim a little higher. No actual bullet drop.
>>
File: Two at 300+.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Two at 300+.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>30127524
It has bullet drop.
You can even zero the scope so that your round fires off higher and then drops to land dead center at the zeroed range.
>>
>>30126161
>they still existed
true and accurate

would you bitch if they gave the germans FG42s?
>>
>>30127524
You can watch it drop. Have you never played battlefield?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.