[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/ job thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 16
File: armed-guard.jpg (43 KB, 300x277) Image search: [Google]
armed-guard.jpg
43 KB, 300x277
Post ITT if your job requires you to be armed

Tell us about it, what firearm you were issued, and how you feel about your weapon
>>
>>30118107

Soldier. G36. I don't like it. Good rifle tho.
>>
>>30118107
I'm a vault clerk for Brinks. Essentially I'm just a bank teller with a gun. It's an alright gig.

We have to supply our own firearms (but get to write it off on our taxes) so I use a P226. It's a nice gun and I enjoy shooting it. Very reliable and feels really solid in my hand, as if I'm holding something of great quality.

I was never into guns until I got this job. Now I go to the range every week or so and I'm a pretty good shot now. Since I've started browsing /k/ I got my CCDW license and a Sig P228 for off-duty every day carry IWB.
>>
Armed messenger for GardaWorld. Same deal as Brinks guy, but compare it to UPS with a gun. It pays like shit, but I write all my ammo off on taxes and I get to nap for around 3 hours during my 12 hour work day.
>>
>>30118107
I work at Bevmo and I was able to get my CC for it. Califag here, so getting your CC is kind of a big deal if your from a shitty county like me. (San Diego, actually least restrictions of any major city barring Sac)
I carry a glock 26. But I'm thinking rami. I have a cZp01 I love but its a little large and with the mag restrictions here it's not prudent to carry
>>
>>30118177
How does one become a vault clerk? The pay and hours? It seems like simple work
>>
>>30118133
>G36

even the german military says its a POS.
>>
>>30119136
That's not new
>>
File: IMG_20160317_200505.jpg (229 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_200505.jpg
229 KB, 1080x1080
>>30119119
Hey dickhead come shoot at the San Diego police department range on Federal every Thursday evening at 1700

Kthxbye
>>
>>30119135
You just need to be 21, have a high school diploma, and capable of passing a drug test and criminal background check.

Also if you live in a state that requires security guards to be licensed you might have to take a course but the company will most likely pay for it.

I work 9-5 monday thru friday, and occasionally go on armored car transports in which I'm paid time and a half + all travel expenses like food, fuel, etc.

Starting pay was $15/hr but now I'm up to $21.50/hr. I also have a pretty good retirement plan and have good health insurance that includes vision and dental. It's a great job and I plan on staying with the company as long as I can.

Though one of my co-workers just recently got a maritime security gig around the horn of Africa (Somalia, Djibouti, northern Kenya, etc.) and is doing 2 months on/2 months off and pulling in six figures. I thought about it but I'm not sure if I'd want to leave my wife and child for that long in such a dangerous environment.
>>
File: 20150820_040948.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150820_040948.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Cop, a little over 3 years on now. Always wanted to do it since I was a kid and still love it.
I carry a Beretta 92 Vertec with a TLR-1 and 20rnd Mec-Gars.
Our department let's us carry anything that is Glock, HK, SIG, Beretta, S&W, or Springfield as long as it is in either 9mm, 40, or 45 and is SA/DA or striker fired.
I love it, I shoot very well with it and recoil is like nothing. Originally carried a Glock 21 and realized how poor of a fit it was for my medium/small hands. Bought this and put a D spring in it and found that I prefer DA/SA over anything and prefer metal on metal for my handguns. I use a TLR-1 because the light flipper is easier to manipulate for me. No ragrats.
>>
>>30119297
>Cop
Applied to several big metro depts. Any advice? Shit you wish you knew before the process? How deep is the BI? Can they go into my Gmail and read my emails/shitposting?
>>
>>30119433
Pretty standard advice for the interviews be professional, be adult, and practice before your interview. investigations are pretty deep. It's criminal and your credit history mainly. Some places do polygraphs but most don't. Social media is a big one, if you have any profiles make sure there's no incriminating photos on them. In my backround Investigation they called everybody on the list of references I gave. Make sure you're in decent shape for the physical test as well as the academy so you don't look like a turd.
The biggest thing to remember with the police hiring process, it is slow and frustrating. Be patient, you do well in the interviews and carry yourself well and a job will come. Best of luck to you bro, lot of people are quitting and there are jobs aplenty. Nobody's filling out applications anymore, it's the time to get it.
>>
>>30119603
>It's criminal and your credit history mainly
I'm good then.
>Be patient, you do well in the interviews and carry yourself well and a job will come.
One city i'm looking at depending on my lotto # a few years. Another 6-8 mo.
>Best of luck to you bro, lot of people are quitting and there are jobs aplenty. Nobody's filling out applications anymore, it's the time to get it.
You're not kidding. Thanks for the info, anon.

One last question, do you know how they do testing for languages? I checked the box because I speak a little and thought it would make me stand out more.
>>
>>30119433

Not him but read all this, then reread it again when you get to any given phase: http://forums.officer.com/t94150/

>Shit you wish you knew before the process?
Apply to multiple places simultaneously. You're very likely to get a thanks-but-no-thanks and it stings a lot less when you're still in 3-5 other department's hiring processes than when you've put all your eggs in one basket.

>How deep is the BI?
Pretty deep, don't fucking lie.

>Can they go into my Gmail and read my emails/shitposting?
It's very uncommon but I did have one department where it was necessary for someone from their IT to access and sift through my email and social media (facebook, instagram).
>>
File: 20160330_183802_001.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160330_183802_001.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
Contracting with a firm in Colorado right now, mostly clients in the cannabis industry. Grows, transport, dispensaries and psd thrown in from time to time. On duty tonight so fire away.
>pic related, one of my favorite grows
>>
>>30119694
>don't lie
Yes, oh my God this! Getting caught lying on any background investigation will seriously keep you from getting a job at any other cop process for the rest of your life.
>>30119687
Personally I wouldn't unless you can have a full conversation with a fluid speaker. It doesn't hurt to mention that you have a basic knowledge but unless you can speak fluent I wouldn't put it. Now if you're confident enough in your own abilities and just a little rusty and feel like you could use it then I would.
>>
>>30119694
>Apply to multiple places simultaneously.
I have. What if I get DQ'd from one while still trying to get hired at the others? I heard DQ's follow you around like a bitch
>Don't lie
What is something ppl lie about?

>>30119798
>Personally I wouldn't unless you can have a full conversation with a fluid speaker
Fuck. Alright. Thanks for the honesty.
>>
Nuclear Security and Response Team Member. Carry a very common duty pistol, and carry a very common duty rifle when acting as a Responder. Also a shit load of gear. I love the job, like but don't love the sidearm, and love the rifle. It's all company issued, and interestingly enough the NRC apparently overrides the ATF, I remember when we got new sidearm last, they literally just showed up in a giant box on a pallet in our warehouse. No FFL involved.
>>
File: VZM.IMG_20160203_191118.jpg (504 KB, 1440x2460) Image search: [Google]
VZM.IMG_20160203_191118.jpg
504 KB, 1440x2460
>>30119786
Completely forgot about the loadout
>>
>>30118107
i work for a martime security company, doing mostly america/africa or africa/SEA and stuff in between. it's a common route for security types.

i'm not issued anything but whatever the company can get for super cheap. usually it's police trade in glocks and old contractor AR's. in SEA we usually use HK guns (G3, HK33, et c) and glocks or tokarevs. shotguns are pretty common too. had an UZI and a Minimi once.

overall since the weapons are sold or destroyed or ditched every few ports, i have no attachment to any of them.
>>
>>30119215
Um, really? I would love too, is that for real? I shoot out at shell canyon, because most of the public ranges are full of tards and assholes.

Been looking for someone to shoot with too, getting an Aug a3m1 soon, I got loads of ammo. Let's go shooting.
randylahey1977@gmail
>>
>>30119908
Why such a turnover in weapons?
>>
>>30119297
>no 8 cell maglite beat down stick
i fucking hate ASP batons. i want the wooden ones back or my maglight again.
>>
>>30119687
>>30119798
>do you know how they do testing for languages?
I speak two additional languages at a really childish basic, basic, basic level and I list them but I always stress that I'm rusty and not an interpreter. I've never been tested but it's not something I'd lie or exaggerate about either. Again, honesty will serve you well. You don't want to say you're fluent in X when you're not and then get called to a scene because they're expecting your fluency or even worse have someone fluent in X as your BI or sitting opposite of you during the board interview.

>>30119826

>I have
How many, I'd say any less than 4 is too little and more than 8 is too much unless you really have a lot of departments in your area.

>What if I get DQ'd
Just be honest and say why you were DQ'd. I got DQ'd by poly from a place, was open and honest about it with my other prospects, and got offers from them as a result. Attempting to obfuscate it will dick you, whatever it may be.

>What is something ppl lie about?
DRUG USE is the big one. BI's fucking love to pump your background for drug use.
>>
>>30119934
Not him but my guess it's cheaper to dump some chink AR15s in the water than to do all the paperwork to bring them into port.
>>
>>30119899
Probably a redundant question, but how is the pay?
>>
>>30119968
And some ports they basically just can't bring them in period.
>>
>>30119934
port authorities generally don't like foreigners coming in with armed security, regardless of the contract or license. that and keeping legal with a dozen different countries laws is an expensive pain in the ass over a $200 pistol and a $400 rifle. so we destroy them if we have to and if we're not sure. some places are okay though if they never leave the ship or if they're locked in an armory.

johannesburg comes to mind as being agreeable if they don't leave the ship and if we're bonded security agents on a live contract.

some place like djibouti disallow it entirely except locally contracted port authority personnel. considering their position geographically, they're antsy about weapons trafficking.
>>
>>30119962
>Again, honesty will serve you well
No doubt, which is why I didn't want to come off as like I'm at an interpreter level when it's very basic, casual level. But none the less if it was something I could list wanted to use anything I can. These cities had literally thousands at the exam or applying
>or even worse have someone fluent in X as your BI or sitting opposite of you during the board interview.
Haha that would be my luck
>How many
So far 3, one is in my state the others are out of state. I just got back from an out of state exam
>Just be honest and say why you were DQ'd.
Do they tell you why? according to some ppl on officer.com forum, at least the cities I applied to, they weren't specific on what the reason was
>DRUG USE is the big one.
desu I only smoked weed
>>
>>30119829
NRC is an exempt, Congressionally chartered agency. Other than being recorded, no FFL is needed by the agency to receive the arms.
>>
>>30119218
>21
Fugg. The rest sounds pretty solid.
>>
for all the LEO guys here how hard will it be for a Marine pog to go sherifs?
>>
>>30119829
>they literally just showed up in a giant box on a pallet in our warehouse. No FFL involved.
It was delivered to the company. You were cleared to possess that shit by the company and do so at their pleasure. Nothing unusual there.
The pay is pretty good for stand around and do nothing work though iirc.
>>
>>30120075
how many NJPDs are on record? any ex wives or shitty purchasing decisions ruining your credit? get your good boy cookie?
>>
>>30119970
Depends on client and contract . For tonights job its 1800-0600, $21hr. Literally just sitting in the jeep watching a field and some greenhouses, doing a patrol here and there. PSD and transport pay the most, usually $30+hr or a set rate for the day
>>
>>30120142
invested in any night vision devices? do you actually investigate and deter, or do you monitor and call in police?
>>
>>30120142
Do you pursue the clients personally or are working through a company? I'm an LEO in Texas,l looking to relocate and kind of want to go private sector into something like what you're doing.
>>
>>30120112
no wife, good credit no bad history/ no tickets, no njp's and I have my cookie
>>
>>30120237
then if you follow along through the hiring process, don't lie and stay off drugs and alcohol, you can zip up a sheriff's shirt after a year or two providing you aren't sectioned out or admin separated. have your dd-214 handy.
>>
>>30120001
Weed is fucking drugs dumbass.
I'd be a cop, and a good one but weed, they don't like that duh
>>
>>30120319
No shit weed is a drug, dummy. But there'd be no cops if they didn't allow guys in that smoked a few joints when they were in HS. No drug use within 3-5yrs is the norm for most LEO depts
>>
>>30119940
When I was a reserve in college I carried a Maglight. Fucking thing would always bounce out of its belt ring every time I had to run across campus. They just aren't bright enough for how heavy they are. That doesn't mean they aren't an awesome elbow smacker.
>>
>>30120347
The biggest thing they look at with former drug use (weed, not hard drugs) is that you decided you wanted to be a cop long after you stopped smoking. They will ask you how long you have wanted to be a cop or how long you have been trying. If you say for 5 years and the last time you smoked was a year or two ago then you will probably be passed. Doing illegal things while knowing you want to be a cop is an auto fail.
>>
>>30120392
Makes sense. Good to know. Thanks, anon
>>
>>30120392
Aside from the poly, which I don't really put a bunch of faith in, unless you have a charge on paper or photos of you lighting a blunt on FB, how would they know? You pass a hair test and tell them you haven't smoked since 12th grade, how could they really know?
>>
>>30120001

>Do they tell you why?
You'll usually get a message saying something like, "Due to an unsatisfactory [physical, background investigation. polygraph, psychiatric exam, etc] we are withdrawing you from the hiring process." If that's all you know then that's all you know.

>smoked weed
Just be honest and consistent with your disclosure of it.

>>30120075

Military is great, the majority of successful applicants (people who make it entirely through the process to day 1 of the academy) I see are former military. A college degree; any degree, is helpful. In fact I'd say avoid CJ just because you won't stand out with it and you'll have a hard time finding a job with it if LE doesn't pan out for you.
>>
>>30120173
Only one site has nods and they blow, would like to eventually invest in some myself but I have a shopping list a mile long already. Out guys have the same options a property owner does so I could deter if I choose although the team of 4 guys in full kit usually does the deterring. Unless there was an armed threat I would just call local Leos.
>>30120182
I used to choose the clients on my own when I did DOD contracting through Aerotek but after i settled down here in CO I was contacted by this firm and just found it easier to let them do it. Not nearly the pay I was making for the last few years but the wife is tired of me being overseas. There are probably 5-10 firms doing canna security and they all have different hiring requirements. My firm requires you be a veteran with at least 1 deployment. Others will take Joe off the street, all depends on the company. The only ones I would apply for are the ones that require a LEO or mil background since you usually end up working with guys that know what they are doing.
>>
>>30120552
Thanks for the help. Will do, and honestly these are some really in deep shit cities, if they want to DQ me because I smoked some weed a while back then so be it. Going to apply to a few more places,5-6 total and call it quits.
>>
>>30120606
Just to throw my hat in the ring, I'm going through the hiring process now and the other anon is spot on. If you did drugs just don't lie about it. If you tell them you smoked weed a few times back in highschool, college, ect and haven't smoked in years that's all they want to know, its a truth test more than anything. For the department I'm applying to they want 5 years clean off any drug.
>>
>>30120661
Thanks, /k/annabis anon. I had no intention of deceiving them, why I first mentioned it when he said drugs, because I figured I tell them, 2016 and it was only weed.
>5 years clean
Thats the thing I'm not at 5 years perse, so if I was truthful about weed but maybe off a little in my recounting of the timeline.
>>
File: 5000km.jpg (510 KB, 694x1175) Image search: [Google]
5000km.jpg
510 KB, 694x1175
>tfw you're two years into a four year degree, looking at another year for a master's in accounting, and you secretly just want to become a cop
>>
>>30120112
what if you have one Art 15 but still got the good cookie?
>>
A job in an armored truck is the job for me. Wish I could get in on it.
>>
>>30120783
Just apply to Sercuritas, they will literally take anyone. Be ready to make $10-12hr and fuck your back up though.
>>
>>30120868

Thanks for the advice m8.
>>
>>30120783
Its awful, dont do it.

The pay is shit, the trucks are shit, the employees are usually toxic, the companies treat you like shit. I worked for Garda for 2 years, and the day I left i felt a massive weight off my shoulders and I haven't been irritable in over a month.

I'm currently training to be a Machinist at an awesome CNC company. We make bolt heads for the Savage Axis and Mossberg bolt action rifles.
>>
File: heat3.jpg (248 KB, 824x342) Image search: [Google]
heat3.jpg
248 KB, 824x342
>>30120783
Anon, haven't you seen 'Heat'? It's not worth it.
>>
>>30119908
Dude that sounds fucking awesome.
What are the job requirements?
Do you have to be former military?
>>
>>30121306

This.

It'd probably kill me inside to throw the ARs overboard though, brings a tear to my eye just thinking bout it.
>>
Honest to god mall cop. The company gave me a glock 23 and explicit instructions that if I ever had to use it, I was legally on my own and they wouldn't back me up at all. We can't even use our OC spray or handcuffs without direct authorization from police.
>>
Work at a nuke plant make a poop load of money watching Netflix.
>>
>>30120716
Know how you feel, always wanted to be a solider and do something similar after I got out. Weather it be law enforcement or contracting...sadly I am idiot who is currently 20 and in college bored out of my mind.
>>
>>30121370
What the fuck, why would they even issue you a weapon if they weren't prepared for the possibility of using it?
>>
File: 1462416886808.png (760 KB, 1195x475) Image search: [Google]
1462416886808.png
760 KB, 1195x475
>>30119931
>RandyLahey

Frig off
>>
>>30120735
still apply, if you're upfront about it and can show that it doesn't apply to you anymore or you've grown since then, it'll look good.
>>
>>30121417
I assume you protect yourself. If I were him I wouldn't care, I would have the priority of protecting myself over some kiosk
>>
>>30121445
thanks bro i have an honorable discharge and a good cookie
the incident was also while back and a stupid decision
the commader who gave me my 15 shook my hand and said i changed for the better when i separated
>>
File: 1464489927071.jpg (242 KB, 917x845) Image search: [Google]
1464489927071.jpg
242 KB, 917x845
Them feels when no job with gun
>>
marsec guy here, just got back from a bbq

>>30121306
most reputable comapnies like Neptune or Trident will want someone with LE or mil experience, preferably with marine or naval (or coast guard) experience. some deployments help, but pogs are okay since you will be sent for training before hiring, during hiring, and afterwards too. you'll also need to take first aid classes, get a seaman or merchant marine card from an accredited trainer. this includes about 6 months on a ship combined with classroom instruction. all in all it's like 2 years+ to get qualified if you're joe blow.

marsec covers cruise ships, ports, ordinary cargo, small cargo, bulk cargo, special cargo, and various passenger stuff for PSD and even VBSS depending on what the specic contract is.

and like most security contractor jobs, being former LE or military gives you a pretty nice leg up over the average person, but isn't strictly required unless you want the "exciting" life of special/bulk cargo going around pirate waters.

>>30121348
the last rifle i had destroyed was a former PMC DPMS AR-15 that we got a pallet of for like $5000 along with a box of Glocks/Hi Powers. all this stuff came from astan and africa, and we picked it up in Norfolk. compared to a $1M contract for 9 mos of professional specialized security, the weapons are literally worthless. we keep the ammo and accessories typically since nearly no place has restrictions on those.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
6 years as a Sheriff's Deputy. Currently assigned as a Detective on a Fugitive Task Force handling fugitive investigations/high risk warrants service. I was hired on right out of college (BA in English from a mid tier school.) I carry a Glock 21SF mostly, but sometimes I get to rock this little critter in the photograph. Also, a BCM 14.5" AR. I like my guns. All of them.
>>
>>30121417
mainly so my company can charge the mall another 20 bucks an hour for me to be there.And it's not like I need it to handle shoplifters.
>>
Armed guard at an abortion clinic
>G17, lvl II armor
Pros: decent hours, good benefits, choose your uniform, work events/bodyguard for doctors, resume gold
Cons: nigger/trailer trash every day, see a white guy with a badge and a gun and immediately get a bad attitude. Shithead protesters. Shithead visitors. Company is full of good people but also a lot of the classic "naive liberal" type. Boss has zero background in mil/leo/sec and is totally stupid. Only $13/hr.

Can't wait to apply for the police department I'm so hype mane
>>
>>30121519
>18C
>weaponlight
is there a point to the weaponlight? if you're firing, you're lighting up the neighborhood anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (389 KB, 1567x1592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
389 KB, 1567x1592
>>30121537
And here's what I carry daily
>>
>>30121537
>Armed guard at an abortion clinic
I know that fundie whack jobs were a thing, but I'm surprised that there's armed guards now.
>>
>>30121537
any funny stories ?
>>
>>30121516
Well I was planning on U.S. Army for awhile as a combat engineer, guess that wouldn't help for the maritime aspect and the training alone for all this would cost a shinh penny. You make good money?
>>
>>30121546
>dat bi-tone
bet the homies love dat
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>30121540

Because I use it. I've cleared dark rooms with it 1000 times and have yet to shoot it outside of training. Also, carrier and rifle.
>>
>>30121556
i work 6 on, 6 off, and pull low 6 figures. devil's trifecta. if you finish BCT and ETS out with an HD, gay pride ribbon, good cookie, purple people eater, et c then that's better than not having it.

if you're a good candidate (as in, recently ETS'd) then the marsec training is paid for with a hiring contract assuming you do your part. the 2 years thing is largely based on time. it could in theory be condensed down to like 12-14 weeks.
>>
>>30121519
>>30121561
How was your GPA? mine is so so, 3.7-8 ish, is that and going part time so it took longer to grad going to be a problem when applying?
>>
>>30121590

What companies are hiring that you would recommend I apply to?
>>
>>30121590
Sounds good, I don't mind the training and shit but is it a fun job to have?
>>
Canadian forces weapons tech, C7A2
>>
File: 1447557461918.jpg (20 KB, 480x326) Image search: [Google]
1447557461918.jpg
20 KB, 480x326
>>30121591
>so so
>3.7-8 ish
>SO
>SO
>>
>>30121611
Sorry I don't measure up to your standards, anon. I am working harder though.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30121554
I was at a rally because there were a bunch of VIPs there and they started a black lives matter chant and there were a bunch of anti gun signs and it was really ironic. Also I got to confiscate a SIG once
>>
>>30121622
was it a dindus sig or trailer trash?
>>
>>30121591

3.8. I'm at a fairly large, squared away department with around 1000 sworn, and my department and most around do not even require a degree. Federal and State agencies care about that. Except USMS (which I'm applying for if positions come open,)and the Air Marshals. No degree required with those guys, but they want 4 years pertinent experience. In my experience, cops are waaaaaaaay more chilled out than people give us credit for. Just apply and talk them. They're typically pretty personable when not handling a call or something.
>>
>>30121635
A nice man from Colorado actually
>>
>>30121619
No. What I'm implying is that 3.7-3.8 is phenomenal and almost unnecessary to get a career in LE. Don't make yourself feel down because it's not perfect. It's all about internships/networking/experience. I had a 3.3 in college and never once was I asked about my GPA
>>
>>30121646
wow wasn't expecting that at all tbqh
>>
>>30121598
well, Neptune is hiring, but nothing entry level unless you want an office job. Paladin is doing more Mediterranean stuff, especially oil and sometimes port security, so they're looking for people. Trident might be, but last I heard they lost a contract to some other company.

BP is always fucking hiring, but they're bottom of the barrel in terms of jobs. Good if you like oil and can speak spanish, and they give you a job you can retire on, but I always hear bad shit about their internal politics. Trojan is decent, McRoberts is doing tons of East coast port security and bonded warehouses, so that's entry level too.

there's a lot out there. might want to either enlist and ETS, or figure out the specific role you want and get certified and trained before even applying.
>>
>>30121646
why?

also read that sign in folder as "used Sig in sheets" and was like wtf did he leave his Sig in the hospital bed or discharge it in there
>>
>>30121669
lemme add that you can usually browse for openings on Paladin or Brass Ring. might not be the inside loop, but if they've had a position open for a couple weeks with no bites, it'll get posted there.

DoS and DoE sometimes hire out too, and so do any major importers of stuff like bauxite, steel, oil, oil products, anything with a dock.

I hear railroad security is a deal too.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30121670
No weapons allowed inside. My idiot redneck coworker confiscated a fucking rock from someone. We /paleolithic/ now
>>
>>30121645
Oh that's pretty cool, sounds similar to the county I grew up in. The cities I applied to said 60 credit hours or military. So I'm getting my degree and considering grad school.
>>30121650
>No. What I'm implying is that 3.7-3.8 is phenomenal and almost unnecessary to get a career in LE
My bad, anon. I was expecting the worst, I was kinda doing shitty last semester so my GPA suffered a little. Do you like working in LE?
>>
>>30121669
>Paladin is doing more Mediterranean stuff
meant to type Sea Guardian. i was thinking of Paladin where i last saw some postings.
>>
>>30121698
Gonna need that rock story
>>
>>30120783
Don't do it! Listen to these guys.
>>30120921
>>30120939
It's not fun, it doesn't pay well, the hours suck and you'll either be inured or die in a car wreck or be stabbed by a homeless guy looking for a quick buck when you let your guard down.
>>
>>30121736
Some lady came in with a rock in her purse, said it was for self defense. That's all there is to it really.
>>
Well I was going to wait for a specific thread for this but I guess this is as good as it will get for me.
I planned on becoming an attorney out of high school but I took a job in the law and accounts department in an oil firm and I hate sitting inside at a computer. For the last three months I've been working for an organic fruit farm and I want to start looking at a /k/areer.
My uncle is a senior special agent in USBP and suggested I get back in shape (used to run 4 miles every day then spend two hours in the gym), join USBP, and try to get into BORTAC or port authority type jobs because they make more.
If I've got an "in" on USBP should I do it or work as an LEO for a few years first to get my feet wet?
>>
>>30119136
Ursula von der Leyen says it's a piece of shit.

The Bundeswehr told her to get her head out of her ass, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>30121785
all the C&BP i've met were either boyscouts or complete fuck ups. 8 years in southern CA sheriff's speaking, and i've seen a LOT of fuck ups.
>>
I got my police interview on Friday. Wish me luck /k/. Background and polygraph. I'm starting to feel the nerves. I literally have nothing to worry about. No drugs, no crimes, no debts, but here i am, worried.
>>
>>30121811
I was warned of those stereotypes, he just said a year or two of field duty would be a good way to distinguish from ththe dumbasses. I should add, when he was a field agent it was the mid 90's and he made so many busts in San Diego they stationed him in northern Idaho for office jobs, then FLETC New Mexico, then Maryland to train new guys.

Does local PD experience make someone a better LEO than the average college graduate who has experience in agriculture and foreign politics>>30121817
?
>>
>>30121785

Don't put all your eggs in one basket with anything but especially not USBP; even if your uncle is a reference, the hiring process start to finish is 8-12 months long. I applied at the end of December 2014 and was told in the middle of September 2015 that they wouldn't hire me because of my polygraph results (inconclusive). I was so sure I was going to pass (no background issues, former mil, college degree, [insert good shit here]) that I put all my eggs in that basket. I'm a cop now so life is good but it was a very depressing time for me and it didn't have to be.

My recommendation is apply to 4-8 department/agencies you could see yourself making a career out of and pursue employment with them until you're hired. Once hired you can choose to continue pursuing employment with any of your other options such as USBP while employed by whoever gave you the offer or lock in and say fuck it to everyone else.
>>
>>30121817

I was the same way. Just be open and honest, if for some reason you don't pass the poly it's no big deal, just let it go and put focus on the other places you've applied to.

Also, be prepared for the question, "Why have you never done drugs?" They're always a bit skeptical when someone says no drugs but that skepticism is well deserved.
>>
>>30121817
then don't be worried. ducks in a row, go through the motions. above all, be direct and honest. no bullshit and admit to mistakes - don't dance around them or be wishy washy.
>>
I work unarmed security at a school. I am 38, out of shape, have arthritis in my feet and have a reconstructed ankle. I want a high-paying, armed position. I have no wife or kids.

What are my options?
>>
>>30121761
I hope she came in to baborted herself
>>
>>30119084
You mean ALL of your ammo?
>>
>>30121853
>>30121867

I should add that 60% of all applicants who make it to USBP's polygraph fail. This is to the best of my knowledge the highest failure rate in the country so again please don't let it all ride on them and do be pursuing other options simultaneously.
>>
>>30122027
Thanks for your input. I'm keeping my current job as I explore options. I recognize that waiting is half the battle
>>
>>30119934
he's literally a pirate
>>
>>30119934
>shit this port is antigun country
>better have a boating accident
>>
>>30121944
see
>>30119218
>>
>>30122007
No, just my handgun ammo. I'm not sure how hard the IRS would have their way with me if I was ever audited and caught saying 5.56 was for work.
>>
Police officer, glock 37 in .45 GAP, love it.
>>
For all the private security anons here - how hard would it be to go from a POG job in the muhreens to what you do? Any advice?
>>
>>30123040
>how hard would it be to go from a POG job in the muhreens

Just as hard as getting into the marines without a private security job. Doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>30118177
>You didn't buy a Mosin for a guard gun
>>
>>30118107
2w171 CV-22's. Have to arm up when we are doing anything with the MG's. Just got a brand new safariland lvl 3 drop leg issued to me pretty happy about that. Might be getting a 92f to practice with I want that second marksman ribbon.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.