[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the garand? I assume we changed the parade rifle with every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4
Why the garand?
I assume we changed the parade rifle with every new rifle we adopted didn't we?
Why did we decide "okay this one from now on"
Why didn't they adopt all of the newest rifles as parade rifles?
>>
>>30113908
Because muh WWII

Also, garands are nice and chunky, but relatively streamline in shape. Try twirling an AR-15 and see how well it goes for you.
>>
>>30113908
TFW OP is a retard.
>>
>>30113908
Last one with wood?
Doesn't look like a toy?
Maybe because they don't have a real use, so you don't have to worry about fielding extra new guns just for parades, funerals & shit
>>
>>30113908
Because walnut and steel look fucking great.
>>
>>30113908
>>30113930
the AR 15 is used for some parades we just had a shit ton of garands and M14's we could use and they look more presentable. I don't even think the drill manual mentions a default weapon to use
>>
>>30113908
Because it's harder to "shoulder" a real rifle with a detachable, standard-capacity magazine and fighting optic.
>>
It's literally as easy as some commander arbitrarily decided what rifle they prefer the look of to have the guard/display team using
>>
>>30113930
>muh WWII
This t b h.
Last time the armed forces really gave it to someone.
>>
It looks nice and we kicked tailhole in world war 2.
>>
>>30113993
>The US has been pushing stools in all over the world for more than 70 years

Just politics & public image makes things difficult when opinions are involved

Face it the average US soldier would rape and pillage like a Vandal, but would end up in Leavenworth for the trouble...
>>
>>30113908
Because walnut and steel go together like benis and boipussy.
>>
>>30114065
So it all boils down to "looks cool"?
>>
>>30114084

its for a fucking parade so yes.
>>
>>30114084
Are you autistic? Does an M-16 or M-4 look like it's good for drill and ceremony? Fuck no. It's ass to use. Shouldering it is retarded because of the mag-well, and any fixed optics (carry-handles) just look funky.

The M1 is rather streamlined in terms of shape, in a nutshell it's just a long stick. It doesn't just "look cool." It legitimately feels a fuckload better to hold onto.

Try doing DnC with an M-4 type AR, something with a short telescoping stock. It's just too short. If you try to stand at ease with the butt of it on the ground, it just looks retarded if you're over like, 5'8" because it's almost sliding off the ground.
>>
>>30114084
>thinks a parade means literally anything else.
I bet you wonder why officers wear swords on parade, too.
>>
>>30114084
Yes
>>
File: kremlin-1.jpg (44 KB, 512x319) Image search: [Google]
kremlin-1.jpg
44 KB, 512x319
>>30113908
Heavy, well balanced, smooth with few protrusions to snag on, sexy as Hell wood furniture that can be prettied up. Long and impressive looking. Open action with dirt simple manual of arms. Metric fuck ton of them built. The Russians use the SKS as a ceremonial rifle for the same basic reasons.
>>
>>30114065
kill yourself degenerate
>>
>>30113959
>I don't even think the drill manual mentions a default weapon to use
It doesn't, but you do have to shoulder them differently because of the mag well.

On that note, the Garand is the easier of the 3 to shoulder and one of only 2 of the 3 that actually looks good because of the wood furniture.
>>
>>30114212
what you don't like jamming the magazine release into your shoulder?
>>
>>30113908

why waste more money on pointless pageantry
>>
>>30114236
It the mag release on a 14 is going into your shoulder then you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>30114248
It's a display of power. It's basically like lion's mane. It says, "we are so powerful and have so many resources and are so successful that we can afford to waste some on pointless displays to impress our allies and rivals. Nature does this shit all the time. The lion's mane, the peacock and its tail. It's all about making an impression. It's not "waste" if you can afford it. It's why the Navy fields the Blue Angels and the Air Force has the Thunderbirds.
>>
>>30113970
Brits use L85 for parades and presentation. With 30rd magazine and optics.
>>
>>30114384
>a bunch of retards spinning a 80 year old rifle while goose-stepping is a display of power
>confusing genetic predispositions with a deliberate decision to piss away money

faggot
>>
>>30114487
Probably because they never had a domestically produced semiautomatic similar to the Garand or SKS.
>>
>>30114384
I can't watch these guys fly, it's like they have a death wish

It's impressive but it's one of those things that make your palms uncomfortably sweaty
>>
>>30114487
Who gives a fuck about the Brits?
>>
>>30114515
It's the same principle. "I have so much extra money I can afford to waste it impressing you."

Why so butthurt?
>>
>>30114539

pro-tip: animals don't pay money for extra body parts
>>
>>30114521
Given that what they do is near suicidal, it's remarkable there have been so few accidents.
>>
>>30114515
>>30114543

Someone was too ugly for parade I see.

Or more likely you are one of those assholes who sits in an art museum and says shit like "I could do that, it's just paint on cloth. Artists should get a real job." AKA: Severe autism.
>>
>>30114543
They pay a cost in extra nutrients needed to grow and maintain said part. It's why not every animal has wings and claws and poison and a huge brain and gills.
Do you even evolution?
>>
>>30114543
Things are hard to understand when you can't see past your crippling autism
>>
>>30114248
Pageantry is far from pointless. It's a western military tradition that goes back to the Romans at least.
>>
>>30114543
No, but the ones that are bigger, stronger and just better can get more food an "waste" it on sexual displays of power.

The lion with the biggest, blackest mane gets the most pussy. The peacock with the largest most impressive tail gets the peahen.

The same principle applies. Have you ever looked at North Korean parades with tractors towing out of date artillery and the compared it to a Russian parade which included mobile ICBM launchers. One is impressive and makes you think, "fucking with them is a bad idea". The other one is just kind of sad. Aerial display teams that include supersonic fighters ( U.S., Russia) are a smaller more portable version of this. Ceremonial rifle drill teams are the even more affordable version that can go pretty much anywhere and are the low cost buy in. If your military can't even put together a decent drill teams, it is basically saying, "we are truly shit." This generally does not apply to militaries engaged in active combat that are kicking ass. But if you are fighting, and still have active ceremonial units, you are showing just how powerful you really are.
>>
>>30113908
Because muh wooden 'n' steel
>>
>>30114515
>wanting to be literally the only country without military parades

Just how cucked do you want your Murrica, famalam?
>>
>>30114158
Former Yugoslavs republics also use the Zastava M59/66, named also "PAP", which is basically a SKS clone IIRC. Looks and shots the same.
>>
>>30114949

There's a reason banana republics and commie dictatorships loved their military parades. It is meaningless pageantry to distract the people and let the paper tiger strut.
>>
>>30114384
Please stop posting. If you think the M16 looks good on parade, OVER the M1 or M14 you should probably just do the world a favor and ventilate your own skull.
>>
>>30114618
>a few more hairs and different colored feathers cost nutrients to maintain
>comparing a millenia-long process of evolution to a desk jockey officer deciding to waste money to impress the retards

wat

>not every animal has wings and claws and poison

The animals that have those devices make use of them. Unlike the useless pageantry of the parade.
>>
>>30114543
But they do invest extra energy in growing their display bits, and spend time grooming said bits.

Animals don't into money, Corky.
>>
>>30116748
And mimic the countries which are not paper tigers, which do the exact same thing.
>>
>>30113908
we used it during our darkest times, so its a reminder of harder times our nation, people and everything we stand ford endured and prevailed
>>
No one gonna mention that the wood on steel sound an M1 makes when you slap it is also sex as fuck?
>>
>>30119133

>we used it during our darkest times

The USA had it pretty easy in WW2 compared to the rest of the world. "The Dark Times" of the USA would have to be the American Civil War.
>>
>>30119070

Invest implies a conscious choice, genetics and evolution don't work that way.

By the way, hair and feathers are basically free from an energy standpoint, and male lions and peacocks are often groomed by the females.
>>
>>30119104
>Best Korea and Russians goose-step because they want to be like the west

topkek
>>
>>30119133
>le we were le such heroes of le wwii..................

you only entered the war because you personally got attacked, and spent most of the war picking on japan out of spite

if anything, Canada should be still using Enfields for parades, but we just use C7s because we're not retarded and have decent drill
>>
Drill and Ceremony with a M16 sucks, desu.
>>
>>30114644
well, it's fun, but it's not like it really does anything useful
>>
>>30119233
>"I failed my drill test like 7 times at basic cuz I'm physically retarded"
>>
>>30116779
Those hairs and feathers come with a whole set of very specific behavioral patterns which do require an investment of time and energy.
>>
Because Chris Kyle killed over 500 small Nazis with a carbine length finnish garand
>>
>>30119356

if you're talking about mating rituals, animals that don't have distinct secondary sex characteristics also have mating rituals.

moreover, those secondary sex characteristics serve the purpose of attracting mates, military parades take time away from actual useful training and do nothing other than impress retards. in fact the russians used to joke about how the kremlin guards looked pretty and could do absolutely nothing else.
>>
>>30119223
and how much more work did we do than the Canadians? Pipe down and stay in your lane.
>>
>>30119187
>Invest implies a conscious choice

No, it doesn't. Whether it's instinct or midlife crisis driving the behavior, it boils down to an organism gambling on the expenditure of resources being worth the risk.

Feathers/mane/what have you may be nutrient/energy neutral, but the specific mating behaviors that use those display pieces are most definitely energy intensive. To the point that the most energetic behavior is often the most successful at mating. It's a way of showing potential mates that you're so successful at surviving that you can afford to waste energy on disco dancing and chest drumming.

Military parades serve a similar function. It's a way of showing the populace how fierce and brave the troops are, and how deadly the weapons are.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvm50nmyRTc
>>
>>30119209
Everybody has their parade and drill peculiarities. The details are irrelevant, as long as it's crisp and looks sharp. It's nature's way of saying "don't fuck with us because our troops are disciplined and brave".
>>
>>30119501
>Invest

I changed my mind, the definition of "invest" involves a choice, there is no implication. The comparison falls flat because the human has a choice, the animal does not.

But you do have a point about pissing away energy (or the human corollary, money) with all this pageantry, it is to impress animals and humans with animal-level intelligence.
>>
>>30119581
Fuck where did the goal posts go?
>>
>>30119451
>military parades take time away from actual useful training

Which is why the smart countries have dedicated parade and ceremony units. It's just another type of dick-waving. Most customs and ceremonies make no sense, but we hang onto them as a part of our national or cultural identity.

Military parades stopped being functional right around the time standing armies became feasible. Marching still has limited utility for moving large numbers of men from one place to another.
>>
>>30119581
>parades are a waste of money

Why do I feel like you're not actually basing that on any actual information? And what the hell other than gas to get the troops there costs money?

PROTIP: If they're not on parade they're literally washing rocks. Yeah, much better use of tax dollars.
>>
File: Garand.jpg (392 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
Garand.jpg
392 KB, 849x565
>>30113908

Because its a pretty rifle with a wood stock that you can polish to a high gleam.

They used M16s (maybe M4s, I can't remember) for the 21 gun salute at my grandfather's funeral (Full Colonel WWII and Korea Vet) and I was damned disappointed they didn't bring Garands.
>>
>>30119659

washing rocks is cheaper, brah
>>
>>30114556
How do they even train without having a 97% fatality rating?
>>
>>30119766
Fly by wire is the only thing letting them pull that shit off. I wouldn't be surprised if the blue angels birds were specially modified
>>
>>30113959
>we just had a shit ton of garands and M14's we could use and they look more presentable

Yeah they can make them purdy and keep them purdy.

But Parade SKS makes my dick hard.
>>
>>30119971
>But Parade SKS makes my dick hard.
All that chrome FUCKING UNF
>>
>>30119581
We're going to differ on the meaning of "invest". You call it a conscious choice, I say it's an action with no thought required. Whatever.

You seem to have a poor opinion of people who watch parades. What makes you superior to them?
>>
>>30113908

M14's are heavier.
>>
>>30113930
As someone living in a country that uses AR-15s for parade, it works fine, dudes can spin that shit no problem
>>
>>30119736
Not really. Soldiers get paid the same no matter what theyre doing.
>>
>>30120282
>expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.
>devote (one's time, effort, or energy) to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result.

It is a choice.

>What makes you superior to them?

That is easy, I'm not impressed by mindless bullshit.
>>
>>30120368
Your entire point hinges on the assumption that parades require a large expenditure of funds, which would be better spent elsewhere.

I posit that this is not the case and you could maybe buy a few rifles for what a parade costs compared to normal peacetime operations
>>
>>30120368
>>devote (one's time, effort, or energy) to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result.

Could also describe the instinctive mating behaviors of any species that has distinct mating behaviors.

>not impressed by mindless bullshit

Just because you don't see the point doesn't mean there isn't one. I'm getting a sense that you've never been in any military or uniformed organization. If you had, you would have a fundamental understanding of the function of custom, tradition, drill, and pageantry. You'd hate it, we all do, but you'd understand the purpose.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.