[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why there aren't more modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 357coonan.jpg (112 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
357coonan.jpg
112 KB, 1024x682
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why there aren't more modern made .44 mag, .357 mag, and .38 special semi autos out there on the market?
I can't see why gun manufacturers wouldn't immediately jump on the opportunity to make more semi auto magnums, considering the fact that they pack an insane amount of punch for self defense and would more than likely dominate the handgun hunter market.
Hypothetically, I'd kill to buy a Glock chambered in .44 mag.

So what's the hold up? Can polymer frames not handle the power? Too small of a demographic for people who'd actually buy them?
Anyone care to pitch in any ideas here?
>>
>>30111866
>Too small of a demographic for people who'd actually buy them?
This right here. It would mostly just be handgun hunters and collectors that would buy them. For more practical use, .45 and 9mm are all you need.
>>
It's considerably harder to make rimmed, straight walled cartridges run well in a semiauto.

Cartridges like .357 sig, 10mm, and 50 AE all run better. No rim lock and they don't need the case mouth to line up perfectly with the chamber to feed.

If you want a .44 mag it's better to use a revolver. Also, hunters take LONG shots with handguns, so revolvers/bolt actions/break actions will always dominate in the hunting pistol arena due to their mechanical accuracy.
>>
File: 1463690339074.jpg (21 KB, 376x300) Image search: [Google]
1463690339074.jpg
21 KB, 376x300
>wasting the time and money to make a straight rimmed cartridge shooting auto loader that nobody bought the first time they made em.
>>
>using rimmed cartridges in a box magazine
>this is how you rimlock
>malfunction clearance from hell

If you want special snowflake .44 magnum muzzle energy then buy a Glock 21 and get a .460 Rowland kit.
>>
>>30111924
Not him but the deagle is clearly profitable. Markets change. In the 90s bolt action pistols in 30-06 and the like we're all the rage. Now they can't be had new.
>>
>what is a desert eagle?
>Mfw it has 357mag 44mag and 50 AE
>>
>>30111989
>deagle is clearly profitable
next you're going to tell me Colts snake guns were profitable.

it's a meme gun and the only people who buy it buy it for the novelty.

it's heavier than any revolver that shares it's chambering, capacity is at best 3 rounds more and at worst only 1.
>>
>>30112034
Yeah but it has better ballistics due to gas seal.
>>
>>30112044
Ballistic differences are negligible. 50 fps means nothing.
>>
>>30112044
Why don't people make a gas sealing revolver like the Nagant 1895 the sovuets used?
>>
>>30112070
You lose the simplicity of the revolver design then, which, in turn makes it more difficult to chamber for hotter calibers.

I would like to see them come back though, even as a novelty piece like the Deagle.
>>
It's catering to a niche market. It's a big gamble spending the r&d costs for such a small market when you could just crank out a plastic fantastic and call it a day.
>>
>>30112091
True. I would rock the shit out of a 357 Nagant still though. Put a threaded barrel it too. Shit would be so cash.

Such a unique revolver and the technology is already there in the original.
>>
The handgun would have to be Xbox heug (Deagle) in order to fit the rounds and then you lose the versatility of being able to shoot radically different power factors.

The Deagle makes an amount of sense as a hunting arm if you hate recoil, but the weight is ridiculous. Beyond that, there have been various attempts at automags with not much success.

Manufacturers could make 10mm like cartridges up and down, but even 10mm wasn't that successful.
>>
>>30112070
Crappy, heavy trigger pull due to the trigger moving more parts.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.