[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between say a S&W MP15 and an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (907 KB, 6016x3462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
907 KB, 6016x3462
What's the difference between say a S&W MP15 and an army issued M4 besides the ability to fire in full auto?

Is the quality better or worse?
>>
>>30111787
Generally the same aside from a couple mechanical differences to prevent full-auto conversion. Similar quality. A Colt or FN is literally the same fucking rifle without a third hole for auto. At least, to my knowledge.

S&W M&P15 specifically, however, worse. Those are well known as being kind of shitty in comparison.
>>
>>30111849
So if I want a similar civilian rifle to the M4 I should go for colt or FN?
>>
>>30111880

My buddy was an infantry grunt. He was issued an M4 with a Knight's Armament lower and a BCM upper. Don't believe the fuddlore that only Colt and FN have been the only suppliers of M4's.
>>
>>30111945
While this is true, the easiest way to go for it while being cost effective is a Colt or FN, yes. FN makes most of the new ones anymore, Colt lost the contract, if I recall. Of course they're all mishmash rifles anymore, but boutique brands like KAC cost more and unless you want to build your first with Gucci parts, the best way to go at it is one of those two, yeah.
>>
>>30111787
Any rifle with 100% milspec components will be exactly the same as a military issued M4 or M16 minus the ability to fire on burst or full auto.

A PSA build using 100% milspec parts is metallurgically the same as a Colt or FN.
>>
My issue weapon ay work is an fn

Some are colts tho
>>
>>30111880
Just build any AR15 if you want one, unless you're going to use it in the dirtiest environment you can imagine it'll still work fine. Especially if it's your first one then save money and then get a more expensive one later when you've developed a feel for using it and know what feels good in your hands, there are lots of personal preferences.

Then if you feel like you have enough money lying around and you want a Colt or FN because you think it's cool then by all means get one.
>>
>>30111983
>KAC
>Gucci

TOPKEK
O
P
K
E
K
>>
>>30112086
Well I think this is a bit misleading, a Colt or FN(which doesn't sell the military quality rifles to the public much) is actually the lower end of civilian AR15s

In terms of AR15 "Tiers" it goes

Shit-Less than milspec quality

DPMS, Bushmaster, any "sport" guns, Rugers, ecttt...

Normal-Milspec

Colt, PSA premium, BCM(to a degree)
Some Rock Rivers, FN military production guns, ectt...

Great-Civilian Improvement of Milspec/Customized civilian ARs

You can take a milspec rifle of the previous tier and improve it with quality civilian market upgrades(new trigger, new BCG thats of higher quality than Milpec, new funiture ect...)

Top Tier-Rifles that are "out of the box" better than milspec in quality

KAC, Daniel Defense(within reason), BCM Recce's, Noveske, or AR builds that combine a ton of better than mispec parts to make an Awesome custom gun.

This system is arbitrary, but anything at or above "Milpec" is expected to function flawlessly and be a very durable rifle, fit for self defense.

I wouldn't ever advise someone to just "buy whatever"

If OP wants a good AR, he should build it using PSA premium parts and have a good milspec(with a mid length gas system) rifle and not fuck around with sporters or sub par AR brands.
>>
>>30112152
Yeah it was very general. But for some people brand can important, and I prefer not to tell them that they're wrong. It's like with instruments, maybe someone really wants a Gibson or a Fender even though there are other better options out there then I don't argue with them. It's their money and their preference.
>>
>>30112152
>>30112184

Literally all complete bullshit.
This is pure autism.
>>
>>30112184
Yeah thats fine, and Colt makes a good rifle, people just have to realize that you're overpaying about 400 dollars for a rollmark and an inferior gas system.
>>
>>30112192
Enlighten us anon. What was so bullshit about what anyone just said
>>
>>30112196
Everything. You even said yourself it was arbitrary. This is just retard-level ARG shitposting. Fuck off back to that retard hole.
>>
>>30112206
The metallurgy of aluminum and steel and parts tolerances (what milspec refers to) is not arbitrary at all.

And I conceded that some of the shit is abritary and based off branding.

Bottom line is, sporter rifles have less features that Stoner and the military consider essential for an AR to run reliably, take that for what it means.
>>
The quality is worse, but the price isn't bad, and honestly you probably won't notice the difference if you're asking this question. That's not an insult, either. The Ruger AR-556 and S&W M&P-15 Sport II are solid starter guns if you're not looking to sink too much money into the rifle.
>>
>>30111787

For the record, most Army issued rifles are not full auto.
>>
Is the Ruger AR556 OK ? Around there it's 1200 euros (that's the price for import taxes)
most important, is it compatible with most of the aftermarket parts ? Only the buffer tube is mil-spec according to Ruger.
Barrel twist is 1:8, handicap or improvement ?
Gas system is carbine length, what's the problem with that ?
>>
>>30112079
Where do you work?
>>
>>30112278
The Ruger AR556 is okay.

A carbine length gas system on a 16" isn't really ideal, but it will function reliably.
>>
>>30112278
In the us they go for 600$ so here that would be extremely high but I have no clue what euro prices are
>>
>>30112152
BCM is only normal tier, but the recce is top tier? What the fuck is the difference between the recce and any other 16"mid from BCM?
>>
Anyone try the CAVARMS/GWACS lower? Ian says itspreddy gud
>>
>>30112412

I dunno, a different rail? Barrel weight? BCM in particular is kind of like a salad bar for AR15s though.

Anything BCM makes that deviates from the 14.5" pinned/16" carbine gas 1/7" twist M4 profile barrel uppers is taking it out of the "LE6920 equivalent" tier. In most cases, it's an improvement for the better (their new ELW profile barrels, for example).
>>
>>30112480
>rail
>barrel profile
>things that have no/negligible effect on performance
>things that are completely modular

My point was that there is no meaningful difference between the recce and any other BCM 16" middy. So to put on a pedestal but not the other, is a clear demonstration of just buying into the hype and trends (muh recce muh SEAL rifle).

I own a BCM carbine, my friend owns a BCM middy. I think BCM makes great stuff and always recommend them to people. The fact that they are a "salad bar" is my point, you can't say one of their rifles is better than another, they're a quality manufacturer.
>>
>>30112412
>>30112528
Yeah you're right, no idea why I put that there.

Those are generally regarded as awesome carbines though, and I thought they had better barrels than most BCMs
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.