[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I read on the German Wikipedia that cruiser Blücher entered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 250x149) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 250x149
I read on the German Wikipedia that cruiser Blücher entered the Oslofjord at a low speed with the purpose to avoid detection. This brings me to the question: does a battle ship produce significantly more noise when it drives faster?
>>
>>30100715
Does your car make more noise when you floor it?
>>
No they do not. I would guess that it had some thing to do with their smoke from their smoke stack or their timing to avoid patrols and get a gap between them
>>
>>30100739
The way ship engines work they make less sound when the engine is in the operational range. Too fast and and it will sound like a car bouncing the rev limiter and too slow and the piston cycles will be so slow that they each make a vibration that carries pretty far like an unmuffled compression brake in a big truck like a dump truck or a 18 wheeler
>>
>>30100773
>pistons
>battleship

You know you have to be 18 on this site, right
>>
>>30101039
are you dense?
>>
>>30101039
>battleship
>cruiser Blücher
>>
>>30100715
I suppose the 6 foot breakers on the shore line if it entered at speed wouldn't have caught anyones attention
>>
>>30101044
A ship that large uses fuel oil fired turbines.

Also the answer is yes, capitation is a thing.
>>
>Blücher

*sound of horse whinny*
>>
Blücher was supposed to reach oslo at a given time, + when you speed up too much your bow stern wave will get huge, which are quite visible
>>
>>30101879
What knockers!
>>
>>30103740
roll roll roll in the hay
>>
File: 1463586576650.jpg (70 KB, 450x532) Image search: [Google]
1463586576650.jpg
70 KB, 450x532
>>30102435
Blucher was also trying to bluff its way in, the captain figured that it was more likely to work if they werent going full speed.

Almost worked too.
>>
>>30100715
Short answer, yes.

After a certain point the propeller starts to create cavetation, i.e. bubbles, which is really noisy to sonar.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.