[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else miss great war documentaries like this? Just the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: victory-at-sea-515c1vxbkl1[1].jpg (51 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
victory-at-sea-515c1vxbkl1[1].jpg
51 KB, 352x500
Anyone else miss great war documentaries like this? Just the style, the footage, the narration, everything is great and not the bullshit we have today.

I'm rewatching the whole series now and man it is good.
>>
>>30098769
There's only so much stock footage.

Books are better.
>>
>>30098879

Books are better, yes. But not comparable. I can't put a book on in the background for some comfy listening/watching.
>>
>>30098879

And there's actually way more stock footage than you'd think.
>>
>>30099092
>Books are better, yes. But not comparable.

That's true, and well-done documentaries are great. The only recent one I can think of is 'Soviet Storm.' The depth of information presented reminded me of the old BBC Battlefield series.

>>30099107
>And there's actually way more stock footage than you'd think.

Where? I've dug through several commercial licensing catalogs and it's seldom I find anything of quality that hasn't been used in handfuls of documentaries or TV series already.

That so many modern pop history documentaries and collections make grandiose claims of "rare never-before-seen footage" confirms that there exists a huge international market for exactly that, yet so few make good on those claims, instead we just get higher resolution captures and occasionally restored or fake color of the same old footage.

If vast stocks of dusty film reels full of WW2 content exist somewhere it'd be worth a fortune, not just in ownership but in licensing. I have a hard time believing that would be the case, as much as I wish it were.

'Mein Krieg' stands out as an exception because it's based on German soldiers who filmed themselves and their experiences in the war. So maybe there's hope that more footage exists in private hands, but again, why sit on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuuIjxZ-h6o
>>
File: and then christmas.webm (3 MB, 616x480) Image search: [Google]
and then christmas.webm
3 MB, 616x480
>>30099492
>'Mein Krieg'
>>
>>30099569

Holy shit that's incredible footage.

>>30099492

idk man, not everyone watches all documentary footage in the archives. There's lots that hasn't been used publicly. Especially ones showing Axis successes.
>>
>>30099682
>idk man, not everyone watches all documentary footage in the archives. There's lots that hasn't been used publicly. Especially ones showing Axis successes.

Do you have a source for this? I know there's -lost- film, most famously all Signal Corps film from D-Day was turned into the beach master, collected into a duffle bag, and then accidently lost overboard when returning to the ship.

A lot of European countries are digitizing their archives which is great.

German Bundesarchiv Film (though not much WW2 content)

https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/search?q=&x=1&xv[]=Western+Front%C2%A0(World+War+I)
>>
>>30099956

Source for what?

I just mean that there is lots of footage you can find that isn't really used in documentaries. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZEFPk5n4M
>>
File: guncamb17.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
guncamb17.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>30099989

I thought you meant film never made available to the public.

That gun cam footage is pretty common, especially the B-17 and Liberator clips. I think I pulled this webm from 'Air War in HD'
>>
File: Shellshocked Peleliu.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Shellshocked Peleliu.webm
2 MB, 960x540
Here's another doc with some found footage from Pelielu. I imagine if there is indeed more unseen film out there it's like this, lost in some back room or closet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNZSrVN7lAo
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.