[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Range Gear?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6
File: file.png (661 KB, 724x547) Image search: [Google]
file.png
661 KB, 724x547
hey /k/ new gun owner here. I have a brand new rifle to pick up in 10 days, and I need gear recommendations for the range. I have nothing whatsoever right now. I've been to the range a couple times, but I need to know what I should have/bring to make it a comfy and productive experience
>>
Earpro, ammo, guns.

Das it mange
>>
>>30097786
Earpro - get a decent electronic headset as well as some basic earplugs just in case
Eyepro/sunglasses - depending on the distances shrapnel /spall can come back and if they are shooting clays then that shit blows around.
Cleaning rods - keep your rifle clean while shooting. There are different schools about barrel break-in but better safe than sorry.
Rations - beef jerky and gum are handy. I cant explain why but geeping your jaw busy keeps you focused
A notebook - record your results
>>
>>30097867
what is meant by electronic headset? like "noise-cancelling"? Also, you're supposed to clean while shooting? I thought that was when you get home. Appreciate the tip on jerky/gum, noted.
>>
Bipod /tripods are nice if your shooting from a bench, you'd be surprised how tired you get if you have to hold up the entire weight of the rifle every shot for several hours if you've never done it before. Reactive targets are cool. Bring a staple-gun so you can actually put up your targets depending on your range.

But anything that isn't ammo or earpro is extra.
>>
>>30097902
Electronic Earpro is cool. You can talk to other people and it has a microphone that will pick up quiet sounds without allowing gunshots to go through. It's pretty expensive and you don't want to skimp on the cheap crap or it'll burn out / break.

I suggest bringing 2 types of ear protection, around ear you cn pick-up at any store for like 25 bucks and foam plugs so you can double up if some cunt next to you decides to shoot 30-06 all day.

What rifle are you getting you huge fag?
>>
>>30098023
thanks for the rec, sounds pretty expensive but noted anyhow. I bought a Ruger American .22lr, I think my thread from earlier is still up. they don't die on this board like they do on others for sure
>>
>>30097976
is it cheaper/better to get a bipod/tripod, or some type of bag rest thing? Also, is eyepro not a common requirement? It is at my range
>>
>>30097902
Yea sorry, i did mean noise cancelling.

If you're testing different ammo or loads it helps to keep the barrel clean. Just a cleaning patch or bore snake and a drop of Hoppes. Also if you're doing precision shoots.

Generally though on a normall day of shooting i may only clean it after 200 rou ds but if the dust or rain is blowing in then i clean more often.

Just a note thought that i am shooting bolt actions mostly and lever actions so cleaning is much easier.
>>
>>30098101
Get both. I keep a bipod on the front swivel and front/back sandbags for bench shooting. My tip is to fill them with rice. Its cheap and weighs less plus in a shtf scenario you some food to go with jerky :)
>>
>>30098101
Eyepro isn't a big deal. It is a big deal, since most ranges make it a requirement but it isn't hard to get a 1 dollar pair of safety glasses from home depo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHSID4dRS0o

It's probably both better and cheaper to get a cheap ass bipod. I looked up your model and they sell online specifically for your gun at like 30 bucks. If you were more handy, you could probably get one for a different model for like 10 or 12 bucks and make it work. It's worth it imo.

Don't clean your .22 until you get home. Shoot 2,000+ rounds through it and don't fuck with it unless something breaks. They shouldn't give you any crap.

I also suggest going back to the store and getting a Ruger 10/22 instead. Why did you go with the American?
>>
>>30098216
thanks for all of that. Went with the American because detachable mags are about to be outlawed in CA, and I don't want to be hassled when I already work 60hrs a week. Plus knowing myself, I'll be more cautious with each shot knowing I have to pull the bolt back with every shot, even if that sounds dumb.
>>
>>30097786
Everyone's beaten the shit out of ear protection, so I won't bother mentioning it.

Get a fucking range bag. Something to hold everything that's not ammunition, and some ammunition.

Obviously, have something to hold water. Food is nice on long days but I won't call it essential.

Make sure you can actually shoot at something. When you've done all your zeroing and charting of shots on paper, get some targets that react more than to just develop holes. Shooting at static shit that doesn't move or ring gets boring. Trust me on that.

Gloves and glassses are nice. Protection from the sun is a very good idea. Maybe a couple of small multi-tools (all-purpose stuff and a folding allen tool) are also worth considering.

Blanket, also, in case you have to deal with shooting from a gravel surface like I do. Then kneeling and going prone won't hurt as much.
>>
>>30098216
>>30098253
I should probably add that the ultimate goal is to become a hunter. Based on what I've read, my goal is to have the mentality that I want to kill my prey on the first shot, to save me hassle and also to ensure a humane kill. I just know if I have the "follow-up" shot available I won't really be encouraged to get it right the first time.

>>30098270
I have an old backpack that'll work perfectly. What's the deal with targets and reactive targets? Is there a cheap way to get normal ones, and how expensive are the ones that change color and shit? Are they really worth it?
>>
File: 1464095372160.jpg (164 KB, 644x422) Image search: [Google]
1464095372160.jpg
164 KB, 644x422
>>30097786
targets and a stapler for targets if needed.

also, a nice bag for your range gear and ammo might be nice

I have link related and its pretty good, but a bit small to hold a ton of ammo as well as other shit.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-PVC-M6800-Tactical-Shooters-Bag/dp/B002TUSRZ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1464490507&sr=8-5&keywords=utg+range+bag
>>
say, if I use home improvement earmuffs for tools and stuff for guns I'm not at too low of a decibel level am I?
>>
>>30098301
1) That sounds really, really autistic. You'll fit in fine here.

2) Reactive targets are cool. You can buy them at any big-store that sells guns for usually just a few extra bucks. When you shoot the target it makes a big white splotch on the target so you can see where you hit. With .22LR and normal paper targets at 50 yards you don't be able to see fuck all until you can go collect your target. You don't be able to see the holes, nor will you be able to see how your doing from that far away. I always bring a few, especially for the first few magazines.
>>
>>30098322
>I'm not at too low of a decibel level

No such thing as too low. Make sure they are rated over 21 DB's or buy new shit or double up.
>>
>>30098322
That's what I use, it works alright. Could definitely do better though, but if you're only shooting .22 then it should be fine.
>>
>>30098342
that sounds like a great idea. my first two times out with a buddy we called for a ceasefire like every five minutes cause we couldn't tell what the fuck was happening. And thanks for the welcome, I'm from /pol/ so yes I'm definitely autistic
>>
>>30098301
>Is there a cheap way to get normal ones

Pop cans and bottles man. If your rage allows, shake those fuckers up and set them up to get shot. That's a cheap way.

Fruit, also.
>>
>>30098430
>cans and fruit
that's a great idea. I don't think they'd allow it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
>>
OP here. Question: does a new rifle come with a bag for trasport? I assume not. If not, is it ok to get just a cheap one from Bass Pro?
>>
>>30097786
>range

Ear plugs and Howard Leight elecronics

If there's a lot of extra shooting besides yourself or inside, you'll definitely want to double up

I was at the MN meetup last time and during the magdump my ears got RAPED with just earplugs

Eyepro at least Z87 or higher rated

>>30097867
>There are different schools about barrel break-in but better safe than sorry.

Even Shilen says barrel break in is a meme
>>
>>30098513
Most likely not
Only a few manufactures or sellers include them

I wouldn't count on it

>is it ok to get just a cheap one from Bass Pro?

You can use a towel
>>
>>30098550
>use a towel
how does that work? like tape it up and walk around with it? Keep in mind I'm in CA
>>
>>30098564
towel with rope
Rule is usally just has to have some form of securing device

Get a decent case, poorfag
>>
>>30098578
and by decent I mean better than airsoft, but don't pay a fortune for it
>>
>>30098578
>towel with rope
fuck off with that trailer park shit. a gun case can be had for $10
>>
>>30098578
>get a decent case, poorfag
fair enough, I can afford it. I was just wondering if cheap cases tend to tear or burn against a hot barrel etc. When you say case do you mean a fiber bag or hard case? pls keep in mind that I'm new as fuck.
>>
>>30098606
I'm just saying what you CAN do, jerk
>>
>>30098617
>burn against a hot barrel

don't put your gun away that hot

>When you say case do you mean a fiber bag or hard case?

Whichever you choose
Plano makes Pelican ripoffs now that are actually really nice and like an 1/8th the price

Not a Pelican obviously, but I wouldn't ever pay Pelican prices, so an upgrade is always appreciated
>>
>>30097867
Start with this stuff.

As you go shooting, you'll see other people with other nifty stuff you may want to pick up and you'll figure out what gear you really want and what you can go without.

You don't want to spend a bunch of money on crap you'll never use.

Once you have the basics, it will really be up to you what else you want. Everyone has different preferences.
>>
>>30098617
>or burn against a hot barrel
First off, let your gun cool down before you put it away.
2nd, look into replacing your shitty factory barrel with a graphite barrel that literally can't get hot. Your welcome.
>>
>>30098106
Literally shut the fuck up
>>
>>30098106
>Generally though on a normall day of shooting i may only clean it after 200 rou ds but if the dust or rain is blowing in then i clean more often.

Kill yourself

>Just a note thought that i am shooting bolt actions mostly and lever actions so cleaning is much easier.

LITERALLY
kill yourself
>>
>>30098106

>over-cleaning: The post

I haven't cleaned my shotgun in two years. What now?
>>
>>30098658
>a notebook - record your results
what exactly does this mean? If I'm lucky my marine brother will help me learn to shoot, but how exactly am I supposed to learn and get better on my own? Like what methods should I adopt? If you have a link and don't care to type it out, I'll read/watch it.

>>30098661
>>30098672
>>30098681
Noted about cleaning/lubricating. I expected it would be "once in a while" kind of thing. What should I expect, in terms of rounds fired before cleaning? Because cleaning supplies are on my shopping list
>>
>>30098708
>in terms of rounds fired before cleaning?

However many you want
You can do it after every shooting day, or just leave it until it stops working or you notice build up

I don't even bother cleaning my guns anymore until my hands get physically dirty when I touch them
>>
File: New_Image.jpg (29 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
New_Image.jpg
29 KB, 500x364
>>30097786
Wear a particulate mask that filters out vapors, many gun ranges are poorly ventilated so if you do not want to be breathing gases, carbon soot and lead for 2-3 hours without protection
>>
>>30098721
>until my hands get physically dirty when I touch them
do you notice any difference in accuracy or anything?

>>30098731
my local range is outdoor, plus it sounds like you're memeing the newfag
>>
3 piece rod, allen wrenches, screw drivers, and lube are really good things to have on hand. if something comes loose or needs to be adjusted, you can do it right there.
>>
>>30098731
>how to look like a retard
>the post

>>30098746
>do you notice any difference in accuracy or anything?

It doesn't build up in the barrel
In fact snipers clean their guns then shoot 10 rounds through them because obviously you'll never get consistency out of a clean gun because it will only be clean for a few shots

Accuracy is determined entirely by your skill and the barrel
And if you're a faggot and got a non free floating barrel or not

>bet you bought a fucking 16 inch carbine gas too, noob
>>
>>30098758
>>how to look like a retard
>>the post

did you know gun enthusiasts have lead blood levels up to 500% higher than non-shooters?
>>
>>30098708
>What should I expect, in terms of rounds fired before cleaning?

There's four things that affect this.

>Your preference
>What you're feeding it
>The weather conditions that day
>What kind of gun it is

In order of importance

I haven't cleaned my 12ga in two years because it's infrequently used and it's my most complicated piece to take apart.

My AK hasn't been cleaned thoroughly since about this time last year, but I will do some simple cleaning on it (meaning just the barrel and gas tube) every couple of months.

>>30098809
>DO YOU KNOW THAT PEOPLE WHO FREQUENTLY ARE EXPOSED TO LEAD HAVE HIGHER LEAD BLOOD LEVELS

No fucking way.
>>
>>30098809
Did you know that blood lead levels of 500% of tiny fucking amounts account for no ill health effects?

Did you know that me working as a diesel mechanic exposes me to 5,000,000,000,000% more harmful shit than shooting does?
>>
>>30098758
you sound mad, and I'm not sure why. The 22" barrel on mine is floated.

>>30098823
your info is duly noted. but here's a question: say I'm a neat freak, and I clean my gun after every day at the range. Will that have any ill effects on it?
>>
>>30098661
Er what triggered you?
>>
>>30098866
>Will that have any ill effects on it?

Your barrel doesn't like it, and I'm sure other parts won't like it either.

Think of it as excess wear on the barrel, because that is what it will do.
>>
>>30098904
that sounds pretty fucking complicating. So maybe like every "so often", like say, when I change the oil on my truck or something? Is that more reasonable?
>>
>>30098866
>The 22" barrel on mine is floated.

I assumed it was an AR because of the pic

>>30098904

>Your barrel doesn't like it, and I'm sure other parts won't like it either.

You can't hurt a barrel by overcleaning

That said you shouldn't do it retardedly often
>>
>>30098904
>brass on steel will wear it out

no

>inb4 copper on steel from jacket

Heat, pressure, and velocity play into why bullets wear barrels
>>
Earpro.
if you ever plan on shooting with friends, bring enough for everyone.

I've learned by now that everyone except the guys who are more than casual shooters always forgets theirs.

Seriously.

Bring ammo and if your rifle needs tools to be field stripped, bring them too. nothing cuts a trip short faster than a stove pipe you can't remove or some other malfunction.

Some food is always nice, but always bring water to keep hydrated.
>>
>>30098935
>>30098949

>You can't hurt a barrel by repeatedly subjecting it to solvents, brushes and stuffing cloths in it more often than needed

Either you two are stupid or it's the greatest meme ever.
>>
>>30098935
>>30098949
interesting points. I just want to keep it clean, I don't know how wear and buildup work on a rifle, I just don't want to let buildup "cake on" and be impossible to remove. I completely have the time to clean it regularly, I just don't know how often is "over-cleaning"
>>
>>30098958
>You can't hurt a barrel by repeatedly subjecting it to solvents

No because steel is unaffected by solvents
Look up what a solvent is and does

>You can't hurt a barrel by brushes

No, you can't
If brushes hurt barrels, I'd sure fucking hate to see what bullets do to them

>You can't hurt a barrel by stuffing cloths in it more often than needed

No, you can't
If you think you can damage steel with cotton, you might just be retarded
>>
>>30098969
>"cake on" and be impossible to remove.

Nothing is impossible to remove
In fact it's easier to get off when it cakes
>>
>>30098441
>Cans
>Fruit
>Bottles
>No mention of balloons

They take a bit to set up, but are worth the time and the weird cheek pain.
>>
>>30098984
that seems logical. see what I know a little about is cars. And if you repeatedly use carb cleaner on a carb with a teflon coating inside, you'll damage the coating. Are rifles uncoated, just bare, stronk metal?

>>30098995
fair enough. but are there safety or accuracy risks? like I said before I don't mind taking the time to clean
>>
>>30099016
you can hurt Arsenal AK paint with hoppes

Good paint, bluing, parkerizing, and anodizing are unaffected by standard gun solvents

Think of it like using a brush to wash your car
You will never wear that metal with that soft brush

You might scratch the paint if you use a brass brush, but you'll never remove metal
It's not anywhere near hard enough
>>
>>30098997
I love shooting old co2 tanks the most.

It was great when my parents owned ta Paintball Field. there would be all sorts of shitty out of date empire C02 tanks or guerrilla air aluminums lying around
>>
>>30098984
>No
>No
>No

At this point I'm going to say "Fuck you" and maintain a trend of not cleaning my shit every fucking day just to be safe.

>>30099016
>Are rifles uncoated, just bare, stronk metal?
The inside of the barrel is, yes. Depending on the gun, it's either lined with chromium or just plain bare steel.
>>
>>30099016
>but are there safety or accuracy risks

Anywhere that cakes with carbon won't be a pressure point

That pressure blows all the shit right out the barrel

Just wipe off the carbon once you start to notice quite a bit there
>>
>>30099047
I bet you think water doesn't wear on stone either.
>>
>>30099053
>>30099057
so more or less "self cleaning" with the occasional wipe down if I notice buildup. I can roll with that. Thanks for the practical advice bros
>>
>>30099053
>and maintain a trend of not cleaning my shit every fucking day just to be safe.

I haven't cleaned my shit in months, but that doesn't mean for a single second you'll damage a gun by cleaning it too much
That's total fudd lore

>>30099061
>you will brush your gun 40 million times constantly for 10 years

Bullets will wear your barrel out faster than you'll ever notice whether you clean it every shot or every 1000 s hots
>>
Not OP but Im getting ready for my first trip to an actual range soon. It'll be a free public one, so I'm assuming it'll be packed. Do people tend to hog a bench all day or will an RSO tell them to fug off after a while if it's busy? How often do Funds call for ceasefires?

I'm really hoping to buy some land in the next year or so but all the land around here is cropland, so finding a large enough piece of land to have a personal range on but not farming it is hard. Land too hilly and wooded to be farmed is cheaper but always seems to be in very small parcels. So I guess at least until my apartment lease runs out I'm stick going to public ranges.
>>
>>30099099
>Do people tend to hog a bench all day or will an RSO tell them to fug off after a while if it's busy?

If it's free and open, there likely wont be an RSO
>>
>>30099122
That's what I thought, but a guy I know at work that shoots occasionally said they have a dnr guy there. No idea how true that is but I kinda doubt they staff the place.

I guess I'll just get there right when it opens and hope most people don't have the same idea.
>>
>>30097786
Bag,eyes,ears; go from there
>>
Paper plates and a sharpie= God tier poorfag targets.
>>
>>30098631
"Sorry man, I'm an angry jerk with a small penis that gets off on being a jackass to anonymous people on /k/ to make myself feel better because my life is so pathetic this is all I have."

---Sincerely, the anon that said that mean post to you (he is a jerk)
>>
File: comfy.jpg (9 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
9 KB, 220x220
>>30100775
>he got so butthurt over a disingenuous, ironic post he felt the need to reply 5 hours later

Holy shit dude you're majorly asshurt
>>
>>30097786
Hot sauce for that chicken wing
>>
>>30100842
there was a guy last week who was sperging out on everyone defending chicken winging

Like, nigger, you clearly can't shoot for shit because it causes you to way overgrab the trigger and gives you shitty balance

He claimed HURR MUH COMPETITION SHOOTERS
As if shooting completely perpendicular to the shooting line had anything to do with shooting parallel like in isoceles
>>
>>30098023
>It's pretty expensive and you don't want to skimp on the cheap crap or it'll burn out / break.
Pretty sure the Howard Leights go for $30-40 a pop and those are more than adequate for basic electronic earpros.
>>
if not mentioned,

Some wet wipes for your hands if the range doesn't have a faucet to wash your hands with. Unless you don't intend to do other stuff or eat until you get home and wash your hands.
I mean, will it REALLY kill you? Not really, not in that amount, but you have the opportunity and ability to wash and be safer, so why the fuck not?
>>
>>30098845
>smoking is bad
>haha but I inhale the fumes of burning tires every day and I'm not dead yet so smoking is fine
But yeah jokes aside the higher lead levels have negligible effects
>>
>>30097867
>cleaning rods
bore snakes*
>>
>>30098969
Keep it as clean as you want , this shit will go on ALL day, and for God's sake, DON'T ASK ABOUT GUN OIL
>>
>>30100464
it's honestly just cheaper to print off targets onto pieces of paper
>>
>>30101278
Just print this out OP, should help you prepare for your "hunting"
>>
File: 1423267163_731.jpg (59 KB, 578x383) Image search: [Google]
1423267163_731.jpg
59 KB, 578x383
>>30101367
>>
>>30097786

Sorry to hear you live in CA. Fucked up gun laws, now 200% more fucked up.

> Clean and oil your NEW gun before use! It doesn't come from the factory ready to go!

Stuff you want:

> Range Bag
> Extra Magazines
> Earpro, Eyepro, Gloves.
I like the yellow high contrast glasses, and electronic ear protection > all. Keep some foam plugs in your bag just in case. All is available at harbor freight for cheap.
> TARGETS. Do not forget Targets.
> Stapler or tacks to put up said targets
> Water, Food, Paper Towels, cleaning wipes for hands

Things that are nice:
> Gun Multi-Tool from Real Avid
> Gun Cleaning Kit and rod. You can't remove stick bullets with a bore snake.
> Spotting Scope so you don't have to get up and walk 200 yards
> needle oiler of CLP in case anything needs oil. Motor oil from car is OK in a pinch but messy.

>>30099016

Generally you'll see uncoated, chrome lined, or nitrided. In all cases clean as normal. Higher end gun oils like Royal Purple, Weaponshield and FP-10 will actually help increase barrel life; better living through chemistry!

>>30099078

Honestly you'll get better advice from a youtube video on cleaning your gun than from 4chan broski.
>>
>>30102444
>Gloves
>Water
>Food
>Paper Towels
>cleaning wipes for hands

y tho
>>
>>30102485

Remote Area with limited services. No running water or toilet. Paper towels and baby wipes are a godsend.
>>
>>30098708

I clean my guns after every range day, but I'm pretty meticulous about cleanliness in general. Cleaning after every 200 rounds or so should be fine, depending on what ammo you're using. Some ammo leaves more fouling behind than others.
>>
>>30098731

If the ventilation in your indoor is so poor you need one of these, you should go elsewhere.
>>
>>30100987
While I agree that you shouldn't smoke, if you're inhaling burning tire smoke every day, I'm sure smoking isn't going to make a meaningful difference
>>
>>30102444
>Higher end gun oils
>Royal Purple

>their manual trasmission fluid has so many detergents it eats loctite and blows up diffs

KEKEKEKEKEKEKE

Follow this guys advice if you want your gun to blow up, OP

>will actually help increase barrel life; better living through chemistry!

It burns off on the first shot
No it doesn't
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.