[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k/ think of my Savage .308 build? Glass is coming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: 20160528_101431.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160528_101431.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
What does /k/ think of my Savage .308 build? Glass is coming soon: an SWFA HD SS, Sightron SSIII, or Viper PST.

All my reviews I've seen on each generally have something to the effect of "I switched from [SWFA, Viper, Sightron] to [insert one of three listed again ]" so clarity and features are all on par. Anyone have any other recommendations on good glass that goes up to 20x, is mil-mil and is FFP?
>>
>>30091778
You might have better luck asking this in the next precision rifle thread or on another site like opticstalk or Sniper Central.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4096x2240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4096x2240
>>30091778
Here you go, OP.

I would do the PST if for nothing but their customer service. Not to say the glass isn't good; I think they're all great. I was in your boat a bit ago and was also looking at the XRS and XTRII as well. I got pissed off and just bought the Razor Gen II 4.5-27.
>>
>>30091813
Hey thanks man.

I looked at the Razor and it's my #1 choice, but my budget is < $1,500 for glass. I've been around enough coolguys who have done some 'real shit' shooting and F Class back at home, and I've heard more than once from two of them that spending anymore in the hopes of better glass is simply not necessary.

> not that the Razor isn't worth the price
> I know it is, just won't be paying that much
>>
>>30091897
I know, I had the same budget and probably should have stuck with it. I heard people saying that the image darkens at 24x, but after meeting an extremely overweight guy and talking to him about optics, I realized that these people that buy these $5,000 optics that are judging the $1k optics and saying shit like that are just looking to be a snob and validate their purchase yet don't even really use them. I doubt the guy could even lay behind his rifle, his belly was hanging below his dick.

/rant

I think glass quality has come so far in recent times yet old guys hang on to the ideas that you need to spend stupid amounts of money. He'll, my Primary Arms 4-14 is pretty kick ass and only $230.
>>
>>30091778
Do you live in Australia?
>>
>>30091952
Agree.

>>30091958
Nope, why do u ask?
>>
>>30091778
How do you like the stock? I'm trying to decide between that chassis and another one. By the time I get dome both chassis will be almost the same cost with the same features. Just gotta find a reason to pick one.
>>
File: 14644472924711122356356.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
14644472924711122356356.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>30091979

It's pretty tits, desu. The cheek riser is very comfortable with easy adjacent by Allen key, yet it's rock solid like a fixed stock once you set your LOP and height. Lightweight, too. Not thst it matters with a bench / competiton rifle.

> sorry if this posts upside down, dumb Android.
>>
>>30091958
underrated post
>>
>>30092006
Is it annoying to take the bolt out since its a bottom release?
>>
>>30091778
Looks pretty nice, but I'd have gone with a different caliber myself.
>>
>>30092106

Not really. You simply need a small screw driver or metal rod to depress the release via this milled out inlet.

>>30092118
Everyone "would have gone with a different caliber", lol. I chose .308 for its balance of coefficients, recoil, price, available match grade, availability in AR platforms, etc.
>inb4 6.5 Creedmoor
>If you need to use a ballistics program to simulate 1,000 "1,000 yard" shots to compare BCoeff's and hit probability, you're justifying a needless purchase.
>>
>>30092151
This is the other chassis I'm trying to decide between.
http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/index.php/products/180-alpha-chassis
Is your barrel threaded and have you had any complaints about the chassis such as durability, the coating, or how close the bypod mounts to the mag.
>>
>>30092151
Nothing wrong with going with the 308, I just don't like its performance with bullets heavier than 180gr. Something like the 300winmag would be better for what I want. But that's just personal preference.
>>
>>30092181

Looks like a nice set-up if it comes with that stock. I never heard of KRG, but it's founded by SOF guys who probably went full 'sperg to make what they believe is the perfect chassis.

For the LSS, I love it. The finish is pretty durable, but it'll scratch or flake since it's not hardcoat anodized. I don't really care though, I'm not dragging this thing through the woods and burrs. Bipod sits perfectly, probably has about 9" of clearance from the mag and legs when propped up.

>>30092211
.300 win mag would have been my second choice if I wasn't interested in light recoil and more recreational shooting / easy "below 1000 yards / at 1000 yards" hits with AR availability for future builds.
>>
>>30092232
What about grip options on the LSS. Can you use ar grips with the beavertail on them or are you limited to one like yours?
>>
>>30092249

No, you can certainly use a beavertail grip, it'll just lip up behind the receiver's bottom. I just like the clean look of the ergo grip / this grip has perfect feel and comfort to me.
>>
>>30092258
What grip is it anyway? It does look good. It sounds like me and you had similar ideas in a rifle build. I was looking at Sightron myself. More specifically the 8x26 FFP Moa scope.
>>
>>30092281

it's called an ERGO flat top grip. They can be had for $30 - $40. Mag is an Accurate Mag from Ruger, meant to mimic the standard AICS mag. I'm probably going to go with Sightron after a little more research and a visit to Cabela's for comparison of glass. I'm going with FFP too, for ranging sake. MOA is super easy and I like it, but I want to train myself to use MRAD, so I'm probably going to go with that.
>>
A guy I shoot with has the viper pst and the razor HD... Damn things are impressive... Another guy has a sightron on a Ruger precision and I don't remember much about it so it must not have been all that great... I use a primary arms 6-18x though so everything looks better to me...
>>
>>30092311
Thanks for answering my questions man. I'll probably end up going with the LSS because I can get the parts separate and build it myself. It'll also be cheaper at the time buying the parts individually. Besides it looks like a pretty nice setup.
>>
File: IMAG0074.jpg (819 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0074.jpg
819 KB, 1520x2688
Good purchase OP, shot a savage and did alright for a first-timer.
Did not like the rough action, but it outshot a 3000€ rem 700 at 1100. Wasn't too impressed with his 300€ Nikon scope either but it was alright.
Have a 100 yard group.
>>
>>30092411

I'd certainly go with it. That being said, I'd buy direct from MDT's website. They have a "Clearance" page where they discount certain chassis up to 50% for "blemishes". I picked one up and couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. Called them to clarify what the deal is. They'll apparently do this if they feel they oversprayed anywhere or nicked the chassis at all. Their Quality Control is neurotic, because out of two blemish chassis I found no problems.
>>
>>30092508
Thanks for the tip. Looks like they don't have any for the savage right now but I'll keep an eye on it.
>>
>>30092006
That's bretty cool desu.
>>
File: IMG_0752.jpg (3 MB, 4810x2917) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0752.jpg
3 MB, 4810x2917
>>30091952
Primary Arms user reporting in. the 4-14 works pretty gud for me. but id like to hear how you use it.Do you zero at 100m and use the left side quick adjustments for bullet drop or do you use the turrets?I haven't figured mine out quite yet. Rifle is a 24 inch barrel savage 10 FCP-SR in .308

>>30091778
nice gun op, how do you like it? I was looking at that one but went with mine instead.

also I know my mounts are too high, im getting new ones soon
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.