[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, lets to start an informational hunting/hunting weapon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: durr.jpg (369 KB, 2000x1123) Image search: [Google]
durr.jpg
369 KB, 2000x1123
Hey guys, lets to start an informational hunting/hunting weapon thread, where we all just answer each others questions and make each other learn. I also want to know about any stories y'all have about the subject.
>>
Is 12guage too much for turkey? Why use a shotgun over a bow for turkey?
>>
>>30086371
It's fine, get a turkey choke if you care that much.

Fuck archery. A compound bow killed my parents.
>>
>>30086371
12g is the norm with the proper choke.

>why use gun over bow?

Have you mastered indirect fire with a long range spear?

Some zones you don't have the gun option
>>
>>30086351
So, this is gonna sound dumb.

I really don't understand why shotguns are the primary weapons of Turkey hunting. It seems to me a rifle would be preferable. They are large enough that you generally need fairly heavy shot, and normally do not require you to take shots at them while they are on the wing.

Why can't I hunt turkey with my 22-250 anons? It's work so well, and the bastards are always in the hay fields around my house.
>>
>>30086406
>bow killed my parents

Story?
>>
>>30086406
>>30086410
So turkey choke is a must. Should i buy camo for my gun so the turkeys dont run from my scary black 18 inch barrel
>>
>>30086423
I've killed turkeys with 22lr. But I'm assuming using a shotgun is more "sporting." It requires the turkey to get in closer without you spooking them
>>
>>30086406

Are you a durr?
>>
>>30086423

Turkey meat is mainly the breast. A 22-250 through the breast is going to ruin quite a bit of meat.

If you shoot it in the head, which is the goal of the shotgun, then there is no issue. A shotgun just gives you more pellets to hit the head/spinal column.
>>
>>30086432
Unless your shotgun is bright red the turkey won't see it. You should be hiding behind a bush anyway. Frankly I don't find.camo useful at all, they see more in silhouettes and bright colors than anything, just some earthy clothes to hide your pale >implying ass and you should be fine.
>>
>>30086502
I guess that makes sense, but with a rifle like a 22-250, I can really put a small bullet anywhere I want in the turkey at ranges out to 300yrds with ease. It'd be pretty simple to blast it through the neck, and with any rapid expansion varmint bullet, it'd definitely put it down.
>>
>>30086351
I ended up with a Mossberg 500 and I don't know how to shotgun. What's the deal with choke tubes, and will I fuck something up by using the wrong tube with slugs or whatever?
>>
>>30086429
>Be me
>Standing around, eating grass
>Eyeing sexy does
>Got game, got musk
>Look to shelter belt, see mom
>She's getting rutted hard by not-dad
>I love not-dad, he always took care of me in the herd
>Hear sound like whippet branch snapping back
>Mom is on ground, stick in her side
>Second whippet branch, not-dad has stick in neck
>Run, but get confused after 6 seconds about why running
>Look back and see two tall walking pigs
>Smell good, like doe piss
>Wind changes, does gone
>Remember to run
>Bows killed my parents
>>
So is it legal to fuck the deer only after it dies, or can I fuck it while its still bleeding out?
>>
>>30088539
Chokes have varying constriction, from spreader, to cylinder, to skeet, to modifed, to full, with a mess of more nuanced chokes in between. Specialty chokes like turkey or coyote and high spread arr usually labeled for their task and often are not absolutely necessary, just very useful.

Most Foster slugs can be ran with just about any standard choke, though some full chokes may be too tight. I would use improved modified and down if an option. A slug will clear a factory Mossberg full tube, but may rub on it. Foster slugs don't have the best consistency. Sabot slugs are another matter.
>>
>>30086351
Where is the best place to put a shot on a deer or hog?
>>
>>30086351
I fucking hate thinly veiled sniper thre
>>
File: deer-hunting-aim-broadside.jpg (81 KB, 700x351) Image search: [Google]
deer-hunting-aim-broadside.jpg
81 KB, 700x351
>>30089702
Lungs and heart.

No matter where you hit in it, it'll be a kill.

it might hop a good 50 yards, but it'll die.
>>
>>30089725
Oh fuck you you filthy trip fa
>>
>>30089733
DUBS ON FIRST ROLL BITCH, SNIPER BTFO
>>
>>30086504

One of the main functions of camo is to disrupt your silhouette.
>>
Sup guys. New hunter here. I live in Texas and have a single shot 12ga, a K31, and an SKS. What should I look into hunting, and how can I find anywhere to hunt? Sorry for such a dumb question, I come from a nogunz and nohunt family and want to change that.
>>
>>30091436
>Texas
Use SKS or shotgun and hunt hogs. They're a pest animal that also contains bacon.
>>
>>30091443
I've been considering that, but I'm a poor collegefag and all I see for hog hunting are expensive ranch trips. Any good places to remove oink that won't cost me and arm and a leg?
>>
>>30091436
>K31
I've been looking for one of those for a durr raifu. Here in Pennsylvania, we're not allowed to hunt with semi-auto rifles, so I need to expand my long-gun collection beyond AKs, bolt-action .22s, and my Mossberg 500.
>>
>>30091577

Kek'd @ remove oink
>>
>>30091591
It's a fun gun to shoot and from what I've heard it's easy to take out to 300+ yards (longest range near me is only 100 and I'm a piss poor shot.)
Problem is commercial 7.5x55 is approaching an average price of $1.00 per round, so I hardly ever take it out.
>>
>>30092049
>It's a fun gun to shoot and from what I've heard it's easy to take out to 300+ yards
Can confirm. When I was trying to buy one (Gander Mountain was the only place I could find one and they refused to clean the barrel for me), a friend of mine got a steal on an abnormally nice one from a gun show. Groups were tight at 100yd and the steel went *ping* every time at 300yd, and everything that moved on that rifle was orgasmically smooth.

>Problem is commercial 7.5x55 is approaching an average price of $1.00 per round, so I hardly ever take it out.
If I got one, that would be my motivation to get into reloading. I guess it's an easy enough round to reload, from what a K31 hunter/reloader was telling me.
>>
>>30092231
It reloads just like any other 30cal rifle cartridge.
>>
>>30091577
in the same shoes, only thing is that I live in miami.
>>
Got a question on hunting feral hogs- back in the 90s, some guys in my area (Canada, prairies) thought it would be a brilliant idea to raise European wild boars. Well, they got loose, and now they're getting a bit out of control. Ornery little bastards.

What would you bring gunwise (and optics) for removing oink? I looked online and I know a lot of Americans use semis, but I'm limited to 5 round mags up here (not allowed to hunt with my 5.56 as it's under the minimum caliber).

A store near me has some NOS (new old stock) Winchester 1894s in .30-30 from the 80s for a decent price. Would that plus a scout scope/red dot be a good option?
>>
Hey /an/imal murderers. What's your fav caliber? I have a 7mm wsm any I feel it's going to get dropped and abandoned. I was looking at the 7mm Rem mag as a replacement for anti deer and elk
>>
>>30093064
I only hunt deer with 22lr
>>
>>30093064
All the WSMs are short action jokes. Case life sucks almost as much as 2 and 3rd magazines.

If you reload ot shoot less than 100rds a year, 7mmRemMag is great.

That said, 300WinMag is under $1/rd and can be loaded with 30cal match bulk bullets.

I don't like going down to standard rifle calibers for elk, but 30-06 and its children may work for you.

If money isn't a big deal, there are a lot more options, like 300RUM and 8mmRemMag.
>>
>>30092600
Sure. Some people would say that you should go for a shotgun for that, because pigs are mean as fuck and will attack you.

Remember to keep your dogs away from the carcass. They carry diseases that are quite dangerous for four legged friends.
>>
>>30089702
Hogs head shot is best if you're still hunting. If you're stalking then go for a larger heavy caliber. Typically when we stalk it's a culmination of 308 carbines, lever actions and a couple 12 gauges to handle chargers
>>
>>30086694
Try hitting a turkey head at 300yrds. Not saying it's impossible but their movements don't really facilitate good shots from that far. 2 outta 3 times you'll miss. And all that calling was wasted.
>>
>>30091591
Get a savage
>>
>>30093738
Didn't consider 300wm. .30-06 was an obvious choice just not the ideal candidate.

May go with either Rem mag, I can reload them but I don't shoot the fudd gun for fun, it's purely to put meat in the freezer.

Which would work on elk but not waste deer excessively?
>>
>>30089232
Depends on the state. In California, it's legal when it's still alive.
>>
>>30093909
I would pick 7mm RemMag over 8mm RemMag. Production ammo is cheaper and much more common, components are a little cheaper.

300RUM is okay if you reload. Production ammo is terribly prices. Pretty only available in a Remington 700.

I personally prefer 300WM, though I might get a second rifle with a 26" barrel. 22" is too short for my preferred loads and personal tastes.
>>
>>30093775
Thanks- in that case I'll pick up a slug barrel for my Mossberg 500 as well.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.