[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What decides what accessories you get on your weapon when in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 23452345345.jpg (34 KB, 455x450) Image search: [Google]
23452345345.jpg
34 KB, 455x450
What decides what accessories you get on your weapon when in the military? I see some soldiers with ACOGs, EOTechs, flashlights, foregrips SOPMOD stocks, fixed stocks, full length barrels, etc, so what decides what you get to put on your rifle?
>>
Basically, you do.
>>
>>30082755
Is there just a armory of shit you can look through? If you spray painted your gear, would you get shit for it or does that mostly depend on your CO or something?
>>
>>30082760
In my unit you ask for what you want and you don't spray paint your shit.
>>
Your armorers do and what they can order from supply unless you're swoopy.
>>
>>30082760
It depends on what your battalion or company has access to. You have no choice over the barrel or stock if it includes removing the buffer tube. That's considered armorer level maintenance which you have to be qualified for.
>>
Speaking generally:

NV/Thermal sights and IR lasers/illuminators will be unit issued and controlled by the unit.

Other sights are issued pretty much based on whatever the unit has available.

If it goes on a rail, command is probably okay with you buying and adding it yourself unless it's full retard.

If the part requires gunsmithing, it's probably part of that specific weapon model. Taking down a weapon beyond field strip almost never allowed.
>>
>>30082810
For the stuff that you buy, do you have to buy it overseas and have it shipped to wherever you're stationed or do you order from some kind of catalog?
>>
>>30082741
It really depends on your unit and what the arms room has available to put on their weapons.

Most units will have a minimum standard of what you have to have on your rifle; at mine you have to have an optic, laser, and tac light. Everything else is optional and depends what the armory has in stock.

For example I've currently got an M4 with a short barrel- we don't have enough for everyone to have one-, EOtech XPS2-my other option was an Elcan-, laser, tac light, pressure of for both, and a forward grip.

At some point I've got to to talk to the arms room to see if can get a 3 by for my EOtech, I want to replace my SOPMOD stock with a lighter magpul one, and get my standard A2 grip replaced.
>>
>>30082810
Pretty much. But I illegal maintenanced my m249 like a mother fucker.
>>30082833
Company's will mail you stuff. I bought a surefire in Iraq and they mailed it. The bulb went out 1 month later. I wrote the company a letter telling them I was in Iraq and I needed to depend on my gear. They rush ordered me a replacement bulb free of charge.
>>
Cool info, guys. What about sidearms? Do you always have just an M9A1 or are there other things your can get proficiency with and have issued to you?
>>
>>30082917
Infantryman aren't typically issued side arms. Pistols are usually issued to SNCO's and Officers (so they can walk around the FOB without a rifle). At least in the Muhreeen Corps.
>>
>>30082917

Sidearms are typically only issued to a very small amount of NCOs, officers, and certain support MOS. These are almost uniformly M9s.

SOF such as Rangers, SEALs, Delta etc are mostly carrying Glocks. 1911s are getting some use in the Marine Special Operations.
>>
>>30083090
>>30082972
That's strange that not everyone is issued a sidearm. My friend was a radio operator or something in the Marines and was explaining the purpose of the lanyard loop was so you'd always have your pistol on you, since officers will give you loads of shit if you don't have it with you.

Maybe his particular role just called for having one or something.
>>
>>30083113
Navy guy here, so really I have no clue wtf I'm talking about (please correct me here), but from what I understand from some marines I went to college with after getting out-

-Units get only so many pistols
-they're supposed to go to people who would really need a sidearm, like machinegunners and SMAW gunners
-regulations require you have a weapon at all times when over there
-rifles get in the way, so the officers and NCOs take all the pistols and fuck over the guys who need them
-so, instead of carrying an M9 on the fob, the machine gunners are stuck lugging around those things all goddamned day.
>>
>>30082741
>SOPMOD

Don't say this retarded shit you literal child.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 733x878) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 733x878
What about helicopter pilots?

I've seen footage of pilots shooting at terrorists from the windows of their helicopter with m4's, but someone told me they only get side arms.
>>
>>30083368
In Black Hawk Down the pilot has an MP5 (which he uses to kill like 10 niggers with while shooting one handed) but that's a movie. I've heard all sorts of things, from .22 Take Downs to M4's to pistols.
>>
>>30083221
It's literally a type of stock, retard.
>>
>>30083221
That's the literal nomenclature retard

In the Marine Corps you don't get to pick anything except your sling, foregrip and rail covers. Using your own optics, stock, BUIS, or essentially anything other than what I listed above is not allowed.
>>
>>30083383
i wish he killed every nigger in the world with his mp5
>>
>>30083186
He wasn't wrong.

Related story. In Iraq we were next to the Syrian border trying to stop smugglers. We were in a vehicle 360 perimeter. I was a SAW gunner and we didn't have enough 240's, so I had to mount my m249 on my plt Sgts mrap. So he hands me his m9 to carry.

There's another SAW gunner who didn't like carrying his SAW to go piss. My SSgt would yell at him and even chase him around.

So whenever I took a piss he forgot all the time and he'd see I didn't have a rifle.

"WHO THE FUCK IS THAT!! WHERE IS YOUR RIFLE MARINE!!!!!"

I'd just hold up his pistol while still pissing, "it's me SSgt".

"Oh". I think he was disappointed he didn't have anyone to chew out.
>>
>>30083545
Reading this post felt like watching Primer or Beautiful Mind or even Fight Club for the first time.

Who was holding the guns? Who was taking a piss? Who was getting in trouble? What the fuck is going on?
>>
File: 1455739139988.png (207 KB, 581x443) Image search: [Google]
1455739139988.png
207 KB, 581x443
>>30083566
I was pretty confused too
>>
>>30083566
I had to mount my m249 because not enough 240s. My SSgt gave me his pistol so I atleast was armed when not in the turret.

Vehicles were parked in a 360. Standing post was every other vehicle had a man in turret.

For hygiene reasons we walked outside the vehicle circle to piss. One lazy guy never took his rifle and got bitched at. Since I only had a pistol and no rifle slung on my back he would always yell at me thinking I was lazy fuck. Better?
>>
>>30083566
>>30083627

reading comprehension = 0

english is not my native language and I understood the story perfectly
>>
>>30083566
>>30083627

If he had been a writer they would have attached him to Public Affairs or some Colonel.
>>
>>30083566
Tldr version he gave big shooter to sgts car. Sgt gave him small shooter.
If you no have shooter at all times when in kabab lands you're yelled at and fucked.
Sgt see no big shooter, think he has no shooter, but he has small shooter. So he has shooter and following rules.

No one gets fucked.
>>
>>30083368
I don't know what they are required to carry in the birds with them or what they might be specifically issued but, I have witnessed a female OH-58 Kiowa pilot let her copilot take over while she hung out the side of her bird and started shooting down at guys on rooftops with an M4.

This happened because command did not want collateral damage from their .50cals, hellfires, or rockets. I can almost guarantee she didn't hit anything because, well, she's a woman. Never met her, but thankful she was willing to help us out with what she could. She had a hot voice at least.
>>
>>30083758
I'm the guy who posted it. Never gotten so much shit for my story formatting before.

Next time I'll write like this.
>>
Each unit has a budget for the year. That budget includes everything, from training time and ammo, to gear. Some units bought EOTECH early in the war before everyone knew they were shit. Some bought all ACOG, most give a mix of M68s and ACOG with squad leaders and officers getting them and regular Joe's get the M68. Grips and lights are generally ok to buy but they'll issue you a grip. Some units allow pouches and shit, but they regulate where they can be put (IFAK is always in the same spot).

It's amazing how not standardized the army is right now. Some units have OCP (or scorpion, whatever) most are still using UCP. There are some units that are still using the IBA while the rest of the army is on gen 3 of the IOTV.

Tldr: it depends on your unit because they're all different at this point.
>>
>>30083798
Most pogs and civs don't know the culture.
>>
Friend's son in Iraq had a mag pouch with old style 20 rd. mags in it.
Sgt. confiscated it for not being within regs.
Or so he said.
>>
>>30082917

Almost nobody gets an M9, our 240 gunners take them but that's about it.

They get pulled out of the arms room about as often as our M500s, which is almost fucking never.
>>
File: 1449277109311.jpg (70 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1449277109311.jpg
70 KB, 720x404
>>30083798
It wasn't professional writer smooth but anyone who couldn't understand the original post is doorknob-fucking retarded. Don't worry.
>>
File: 1462521203392.jpg (52 KB, 610x406) Image search: [Google]
1462521203392.jpg
52 KB, 610x406
>>30083113
>and was explaining the purpose of the lanyard loop was so you'd always have your pistol on you
>since officers will give you loads of shit if you don't have it with you.

It's more of a liability thing.
>>
>>30082760
>do i get to put teh camos on my gun?
>>
>>30084093
Having a black rifle around all that dust, I can see it being pretty helpful to just spray the whole thing some kind of FDE
>>
>>30084376
Do it. Then go show the armorer your modifications. He will love it.
>>
>>30083423
holy kek

Maybe everyone should be issued mp5s to get rid of nigs
>>
>>30082810
Really?

Everyone I ever heard of attaching and buying their own shit just got absolutely ripped a new asshole for having their own stuff even if it was something simple like a fore grip, light, or the rail covers.
>>
>>30083798

Bangbangbang mounted to vroomvroom, given pewpew. Go weewee, boss ask where bang? Hold pew and wang.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.